[globe] The 1st Thread: - "10000 Days" best-of album (2022) - Page 8 - Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
· Ayu's Official Site · Ayu's twitter · Ayu's YouTube · masa's translations · Misa-chan's translations ·

Go Back   Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai > Music Forums > Asian Music Chat > Artists & Bands

Notices

Old 6th December 2015, 11:38 PM
CAROLS Initiate

I hope it does well. It's a very fitting release for an anniversary like that.

livejournal / last.fm / tumblr / goodreads

Old 7th December 2015, 09:02 AM
ayu-ro mix 2 Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiharo View Post
@Kacku

Where's "They Fight Now" from? You mentioned it in your recommendations post.

I only recently got into globe, and I really LOVE on the way to YOU, Soldier, Please don't give up and from the beginning (this one is probably my favorite).

And thank you, Kacku, for that long list of recommendations! I'll use it as a reference.
They Fight Now was released on the 15YEARS CHRONICLE ~ON-AIR & OFF-AIR~ + UNRELEASED TRACKS DVD set with two other unreleased tracks. You can find them all here under Extra Stuff > Miscellaneous tracks. It's a beautiful track, I love it.

You're welcome, I'm happy if my list is useful!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizuki-7 View Post
I really agree with you this cover album seems really well made !! Like I have already said globe is among my top 3 (just after Nana Mizuki & Ayu) so I know every of their songs and I've a special attachment in regard to Keiko's voice and her unmatchable emotions so it's really difficult honestly to be objective but none of them are better than the originals for me but regarding music arrangements it's another story I don't know who made them but some songs are really well upgraded like Anytime smokin’ cigarette, wanna Be A Dreammaker or SWEET PAIN !

In regard to Ayu cover I'm just like you I really like it but something is missing I don't know it's like she didn't put enough of her emotions into it ? I will wait for the rest of the song but I'm not 100% satisfied with it ...I am a bit disappointed because I think that Ayu was the best choice to cover a globe song since her voice has always been similar to Keiko ... yet something is missing ...
Yeah, I also really like the arrangements on Anytime smokin' cigarette and wanna Be A Dreammaker, I'd love to know who did them! Especially wanna Be A Dreammaker: the original arrangement is super intense, and I do like that, though sometimes all the loudness RIGHT IN YOUR EARS AND FACE can be a bit much, but TRF's vew version gives the vocals and melody more room to exist and is better off for it.

I'm glad you share my feelings about Ayu's Many Classic Moments. I don't think Ayu's level of emotion is the problem for me? But one thing I love about the original that Ayu's version doesn't do as well is how it builds intensity by switching and contrasting between loud and quiet: it starts off very quiet, just the lonely synth playing before Keiko comes in singing quietly, and from there she and the music get progressively louder until the chorus, where Keiko goes all out and the arrangement settles down and lets her do her thing. The contrasts aren't as strong in Ayu's version, it starts off louder and I feel like she doesn't really go all out in the second part of the chorus? Like, this would have called for some NO FUTURE level bombastic bellowing, but I don't feel like I'm quite getting that. I hope to hear it in the rest of the song! But she totally nails the chorus! I'm still excited to hear the rest though something is a little off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashen Twilight View Post
Sidenote: I really think this cover album will do well. The previews have been doing pretty well in terms of views for the most part.
I'm really hoping it's gonna do well! It sounds like a surprisingly well-made release and the world needs some globe love. And speaking of views... I had no idea HYDE was THAT popular? He has almost as many views as everyone else put together.
Old 7th December 2015, 09:23 AM
still alone Initiate

Quote:
@Chiharo
Glad to know you are liking everything so far! maniac is a really good album! I would recommend every one of their albums aside from Relation honestly.
Yeah, I was blown away by how good maniac was just on my very first listen. I totally wasn't expecting that, but it's such a great album! And thanks, I take in everything people recommend and keep it in mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kacku View Post
They Fight Now was released on the 15YEARS CHRONICLE ~ON-AIR & OFF-AIR~ + UNRELEASED TRACKS DVD set with two other unreleased tracks. You can find them all here under Extra Stuff > Miscellaneous tracks. It's a beautiful track, I love it.

You're welcome, I'm happy if my list is useful!
Thanks a lot! I'll definitely give them all a try. ^^
Old 7th December 2015, 12:10 PM
ayu trance Initiate

Quote:
@Chiharo
I would recommend every one of their albums aside from Relation honestly.
You don't like Relation ??? I would totally recommend this album it's their more experimental album from the 90's all the singles are classics (I'm not really into Sweet Heart because it's too sugary) Wanna Be a Dreammaker, perfume of love, Sa Yo Na Ra and what about the album tracks Creamy Day, like a snowy kiss, Illusion Across the Street, Cross the Waters is probably the least accessible song in this album too much experimental but it's definitely interesting !

I can't believe you don't recommend it XD

Quote:
I'm glad you share my feelings about Ayu's Many Classic Moments. I don't think Ayu's level of emotion is the problem for me? But one thing I love about the original that Ayu's version doesn't do as well is how it builds intensity by switching and contrasting between loud and quiet: it starts off very quiet, just the lonely synth playing before Keiko comes in singing quietly, and from there she and the music get progressively louder until the chorus, where Keiko goes all out and the arrangement settles down and lets her do her thing. The contrasts aren't as strong in Ayu's version, it starts off louder and I feel like she doesn't really go all out in the second part of the chorus? Like, this would have called for some NO FUTURE level bombastic bellowing, but I don't feel like I'm quite getting that. I hope to hear it in the rest of the song! But she totally nails the chorus! I'm still excited to hear the rest though something is a little off.
Yes yes after relistening to both version you are right !!

My Website Twitter Last.Fm

Last edited by mizuki-7; 7th December 2015 at 12:16 PM.
Old 7th December 2015, 05:05 PM
ayu-ro mix 2 Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizuki-7 View Post
You don't like Relation ??? I would totally recommend this album it's their more experimental album from the 90's all the singles are classics (I'm not really into Sweet Heart because it's too sugary) Wanna Be a Dreammaker, perfume of love, Sa Yo Na Ra and what about the album tracks Creamy Day, like a snowy kiss, Illusion Across the Street, Cross the Waters is probably the least accessible song in this album too much experimental but it's definitely interesting !

I can't believe you don't recommend it XD

Yes yes after relistening to both version you are right !!
I just listened to Relation this weekend and I really wish I could share your sentiments about it. Maybe I need to listen to it again with these things in mind, but none of the tracks aside from wanna Be A Dreammaker and Relation (I like this instrumental way too much for some reason) and maybe Across the Street, Cross the Waters ever made much of an impression on me.

But yay, agreement on Many Classic Moments!

Also, now that the preview for Koda Kumi's cover of Wanderin' Destiny is out, one more track to add to the pile of excellent this tribute album is shaping up to be! It sounds so nice, and I love that she also does MARC's lines! And I still have Miu Sakamoto and Mirei Touyama to look forward to. Next week cannot come too soon.
Old 7th December 2015, 05:48 PM
No way to say Initiate

As somewhat a completist, I hate how many stupid pointless compilations this group has. Like 10 different versions/edit of the same song or remix.

It just occurred to me..TK pretty much just copied and pasted the synth/melody of Maunalua Bay for the verses of Last Angel.

Last edited by ExodusUK; 7th December 2015 at 05:57 PM.
Old 8th December 2015, 08:57 PM
ayu-ro mix 2 Initiate

Mirei Touyama's Can't Stop Fallin' in Love preview was uploaded and it's SO GOOD I WANT TO SCREAM GIVE ME THE ALBUM ALREADY

Also, I'm giving Relation yet another go and I think I'm actually starting to get into it. letting out a deep breath is a pretty great song, across the street, cross the waters is very interesting once it gets going, and I'm liking wanna Be A Dreammaker more and more as time goes on. Still a hard pass to creamy day and Sa Yo Na Ra though. sweet heart isn't making a good impression either.
Old 8th December 2015, 10:15 PM
Voyage Initiate

Thanks for the song recommendations guys. I have so far bought Seize The Light and Winter Comes Around Again (TK Mix)!

Apart from the covers album which I can't wait to preorder (2 disc edition!), which Globe album do you recommend I start with first?

I love the dated sound of some of their songs although it has taken me a while to get into some of TK's works in the past e.g. Namie's Concentration 20, although it has great songs, only clicked with me as an album years after I got it. And I only really got into Sweet 19 Blues in recent years.
Old 9th December 2015, 05:26 PM
ayu-ro mix 2 Initiate

^ globe's career can be broken into three distinct eras quite easily, so I'm gonna give you recommendations from each of them.

First, their 90s era, which covers their first four albums and definitely has the dated TK sound you mention. My favourite album from this era is FACES PLACES: it contains a great number of awesome, classic tracks and is surprisingly listenable for a 90s TK album.

Second, their trance era, which is amazing and covers their next four albums. Honestly, I think all of them are great, but I would recommend Lights for starters: it's easier to get into than outernet or LEVEL4, simply better than Lights2, and just a phenomenally good album, all of the tracks are so great!

Third, their return to pop-rock, not sounding so dated this time around! My favourite from the three albums in this era is globe2 pop/rock, but any of them is a good choice, really
Old 9th December 2015, 05:43 PM
Connected Initiate

I'm kinda sad that genesis of next isn't covered in this album =(

Old 13th December 2015, 09:32 PM
Lelio Protector

I wonder how keiko's doing.
I really like her, I hope she is doing fine... It's kinda sad that she doesn't want to show herself in vids/public, I wonder if she is really ok or in a bad condition. I hope she will somehow get fine since she is great. Last time anyone saw her in public was 2009 right?

btw I came across this fantastic Many Classic Moments classical version live.

Old 13th December 2015, 10:56 PM
SURREAL H-Initiate

I recommend Soldier. This song seems to be overlooked a lot haha.

"Remember, don't let others dictate your music taste. If you like whatever you're listening to, keep listening to it."

Old 14th December 2015, 10:04 PM
Voyage Initiate

Thanks for the advice Kacku!

As a newbie, I find their discography a bit "messy" due to all the compilations and remix albums so it's helpful to have it broken down.
Old 16th December 2015, 03:47 PM
ayu-ro mix 2 Initiate

The tribute album is out! And it's #4 in the Oricon charts on the first day, nice! #3 sold 10 141 copies, so this album is probably not far behind.

Anyway, thoughts about all the new covers??

Spoiler:
DEPARTURES: The full version made me discover that HYDE is not my favourite vocalist, he comes close to being annoying at times... but it's a good cover, I like it!

FACES PLACES: This is so great! I love the new arrangement, and Kaela sells the emotion of the song though she doesn't dare go as loud as Keiko. I'll be replaying this a lot.

Joy to the love: Still godawful. I'm disappointed, AAA can do TK songs way better than this. :|

Many Classic Moments: Still weaker than the original, still good and enjoyable. I've seen many people rejoice at MARC's rap being cut, but I always thought Many Classic Moments utilised him perfectly and really enjoyed his rap, it really contributed to the song's mood. That was the long-winded way of saying that the original rap bridge was way better than this random EDM mess. It's pretty lame and basic. But Ayu gave me what I wanted in the final bridge: she went all out and sold it!!

Precious Memories: I get the urge to make a detailed arrangement for a song as slow as this one, but it might not have been the best choice here (is it ever?). Miu Sakamoto's voice is BEAUTIFUL and so great for this song, but the arrangement is so busy it almost distracts you from her singing. But I still like this version, the arrangement is interesting if nothing else, and did I mention that Miu Sakamoto's voice is BEAUTIFUL?

FACE: I don't really care for their dentist-rap sections, but FACE is flawless and this version samples it heavily, so that's good?

Can't Stop Fallin' in Love: I think this might be my favourite song from this album, I've been torturing my sick throat all day trying to sing along whenever I can. Perfect track for Mirei Touyama's voice, and she makes it her own. The pre-chorus with its harmonies is one of the sweetest things to come out of J-pop in 2015, and I get a rush every time I hear the chorus kick in. So good. The end is a bit embarrassing, but I can get over it.

FREEDOM: It's... ok? I have a hard time remembering this one after it's over.

Wanderin' Destiny: Kumi is definitely not one of my favourite vocalists, but she does good here, and the arrangement is AMAZING. CHILLS. And I still love that she does MARC's rap as well. Another great one!

Love again: This is quite cool! Not as cool as the original, but still a good one.

Anytime smokin' cigarette: Sooooo good. Perfect arrangement and great performance by hitomi. Just yeeeeeeeeeeeeeessssss so much.

SWEET PAIN: This is almost Joy to the love level of terrible. The pounding synth sounds like headache.

wanna Be A Dreammaker: Great! Epic! Yeeeeessss!

Sa Yo Na Ra: Meeehh. I'm sure my bias against everything about the -48 groups is affecting my opinion, but Ayaka Umeda doesn't seem to be anything special as far as singing goes. This song is ok, just a little boring.
Old 16th December 2015, 10:42 PM
Voyage Initiate

Thanks for your review! I can't wait to get my copy of the album (2 disc version)!
Old 17th December 2015, 04:29 AM
As if.. Initiate

My two cents on the covers:

DEPARTURES: I like HYDE and all, but I wasn't really feeling this cover. It's the way the he sings the verses. The chorus I had no problem with.

FACES PLACES:
I only got through about halfway before I was like "done, next". I'm just not a fan of this song. I like Kaela, but she couldn't make me like this song.

Joy to the love: I thought it was nice, I enjoyed it. It would have been nice to have the old raps in this version. Oh well.

Many Classic Moments: I think Ayu's cover of Movin' on without you might be a little better than this, but I still find this enjoyable. I'll also take the EDM over the rap the original had anyday. That rap is the reason why I don't listen the original and prefer to listen to remixes who cut him out. I always found it so tacked on and unnecessary.

Precious Memories: I agree with Kacku's thoughts on this song. Miu Sakamoto's voice is AMAZING. That arrangement does take some getting used to though. I think this one may grow on me with time.

FACE: The raps were the only thing I liked about this cover. I wish there were more raps and less of the actual song to be quite honest.

Can't Stop Fallin' in Love: This cover I really like! This is my second favorite on the album.

FREEDOM: This actually rekindled my interest in the song. I was getting a little bored with the original.

Wanderin' Destiny: This is without a doubt my favorite of the bunch. It's the best thing Kuu's put out all year.

Love again: Going to agree with Kacku on this one.

Anytime smokin' cigarette: YES HITOMI. You did great with this one.

SWEET PAIN: It's a decent effort in my opinion.

wanna Be A Dreammaker: Nice nice nice.

Sa Yo Na Ra: It's alright, nothing special.
Old 17th December 2015, 07:28 PM
ANGEL'S SONG Initiate

Many Classic Moments is as good as the original I love it, a true gem

My first J-pop cover album is out on Spotify! Please check it out!
Old 17th December 2015, 08:15 PM
ayu trance Initiate

My little review =) :

DEPARTURES: The new arrangements are great it sound richer and Hyde did a good job I like this cover !

FACES PLACES: Honestly she has a beautiful voice but she ruined the song by lowering the key like this ! that was boring ... what is amazing in the original is how Keiko rises the key throughout the song but here... Arrangements are really good but it's not enough :/

Joy to the love: yeah not really impressed ! this version is verry similar to the original !

Many Classic Moments: I like it better in full I still prefer the original over this but it was a nice try and I love the final when she hits the high notes !!!

Precious Memories: Not feeling this one too ... it's like her voice don't match the arrangement or inversement ?

FACE: ...

Can't Stop Fallin' in Love: Really well done !!

FREEDOM: Yeah not my cup of tea ...

Wanderin' Destiny: Amazing arrangements they gave me chills but I prefer how Keiko handle this song vocally !

Love again: It's sound quite dated compared to the other covers!

Anytime smokin' cigarette: Great cover among the best !

SWEET PAIN: Surprisingly I like this cover the arrangements sound really western !

wanna Be A Dreammaker: Amazing !

Sa Yo Na Ra: "It's alright, nothing special"

My Website Twitter Last.Fm
Old 19th December 2015, 05:29 PM
ayu-ro mix 2 Initiate

Klauser Bateson and mizuki-7, I'm glad you both liked Can't Stop Fallin' in Love as well. And also Anytime smokin' cigarette and wanna Be A Dreammaker, everyone seems to love those two, as it should be.

Charts update: #4 -> #4 -> #6 -> #8 EDIT: -> #9 -> #21

Last edited by Kacku; 21st December 2015 at 11:10 AM.
Old 20th December 2015, 03:55 AM
Rock'n'Roll Circus Initiate

Many Classic Moments is my favorite track for sure.

教えてよねぇあなたならこの時代をどう生きる
Ayu Concerts I've Attended:
Arena Tour 2013: A BEST LIVE
Arena Tour 2015: Cirque de Minuit
Arena Tour 2016: MADE IN JAPAN

You can find me on the gram: https://www.instagram.com/b_utifulfighter/

Tags
globe, tetsuya komuro