5.1 vs stereo on DVD/BDs...? - Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
· Ayu's Official Site · Ayu's twitter · Ayu's YouTube · masa's translations · Misa-chan's translations ·

Go Back   Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai > Ayumi Hamasaki Forums > Ayu Chat-Room

Notices

Old 20th August 2023, 03:42 PM
Two of us Initiate

5.1 vs stereo on DVD/BDs...?

I've noticed it's been years since we've had an Ayu DVD/Blu-ray release that featured 5.1 audio. These days it seems like they've gone back to stereo and that's it, which I find curious after they've had years of these discs produced in 5.1.

Why?

a) On a technical basis, I've never heard a 5.1 soundtrack that didn't sound fine even when automatically downmixed to stereo. So, aim for the top end I say, and let the lower-end systems deal with it. Everybody should be happy. But then again, it seems like most discs that *do* have a 5.1 mix have a separate stereo track. Maybe (undoubtedly) those audio engineers have a better ear than I do and they hear things I just don't. But then, that turns the discussion into "why include a stereo track when you already have a 5.1 mix", and I don't want to detract from my core question.

b) Having 6 audio tracks takes up more space than just two (obviously), but the content of her concert discs hardly ever reaches 40GB these days, on discs that have a capacity of nearly 50GB (I'm assuming a standard dual-layer blu-ray disc). This can hardly be the reason either.

c) The demand just isn't there, and it really cost that much more to produce a mix in 5.1.

d) Some other reason I just can't think of right now.

As far as I'm concerned, I'd say it's probably (c), Avex is cutting corners and nobody's complaining about it. After all, 5.1 audio discs have never really caught on (even though I, for one, *really* appreciate the 5.1 version of My Story).

What do you think? Would you not prefer a 5.1 version if it existed?
Old 21st August 2023, 04:23 PM
too late Initiate

I think people in general doesn't have home theaters or other devices that makes a real difference playing a 5.1 audio track or a stereo one, so it's pointless to spend more money mixing a 5.1 track if the demand is (apparently) irrelevant. It's how market works.

I'm particularly upset with the death of Blu-Rays on Western market when we are speaking about live concerts, because the video quality of YouTube isn't that great and the streaming ones are not comparable with the BD. But that's me, the demand for these materials are lower and lower year after year.

slow down, you won't get there by hurrying
gonna find out if the hard work was worth it
i know it's somewhere in me
i'm just tryna find love

Last edited by summerain; 21st August 2023 at 04:26 PM.
Old 21st August 2023, 05:49 PM
INSPIRE Initiate

it's all about demand, and demand for ayu dvd/bds is far from comparable to what they were back in 2000s and 2010s...
Quote:
I'm particularly upset with the death of Blu-Rays on Western market when we are speaking about live concerts, because the video quality of YouTube isn't that great and the streaming ones are not comparable with the BD. But that's me, the demand for these materials are lower and lower year after year
it is indeed really sad that only a few western artists ocasianally release live dvds/bds of their concerts/tours, not even big acts like ariana grande or lady gaga do that on a regular basis anymore, the japanese music industry stands still as the best imo when it comes to giving the fans what they want
Old 21st August 2023, 06:03 PM
too late Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by brener View Post
it's all about demand, and demand for ayu dvd/bds is far from comparable to what they were back in 2000s and 2010s...

it is indeed really sad that only a few western artists ocasianally release live dvds/bds of their concerts/tours, not even big acts like ariana grande or lady gaga do that on a regular basis anymore, the japanese music industry stands still as the best imo when it comes to giving the fans what they want
I mean, BEYONCÉ didn't release a proper DVD/Blu-Ray for her concerts (the exception is Homecoming, but that's a special show, not a concert). It is really sad indeed.

i'm just tryna find love

Old 21st August 2023, 07:25 PM
INSPIRE Initiate

^
now you feel me...

madonna and taylor are one of the few big acts that still releases their concerts regularly on dvd/bd (correct me if i'm wrong).. although taylor had just released her past two tours exclusively on streaming platforms, which for me is not enough for an artist of her caliber..

and seriously, i just don't get it, these artists have it all when it comes to professional shooting and recording, why do their labels choose to release only albums? it doesnt make sense to me (is it all about revenue? make it a limited release then) and its not fair with fandom

Last edited by brener; 21st August 2023 at 07:31 PM.
Old 26th August 2023, 03:41 PM
Two of us Initiate

I've noticed that too. Even the biggest western acts are simply *not* releasing concerts videos anymore. Whereas I have well over 30 Ayu discs (CDLs and tours, whatever Avex publishes)...
Old 28th August 2023, 07:10 AM
ANGEL'S SONG Initiate

Avex experimented with the hi-res thing but never got profit out of it

Ayu's best selling hi-res disc was RAINBOW with just 943 copies sold

And she was the most important act at the time releasing that kind of format, so imagine the rest... did much worse. It is not profitable

My first J-pop cover album is out on Spotify! Please check it out!
Old 28th August 2023, 03:07 PM
INSPIRE Initiate

do her recent BDs really differ from her DVD recordings? I remember some fans saying that the re-release of DVDs into BDs consisted of the same files from her DVD with no higher resolution, am I right?
Old 10th September 2023, 02:56 PM
Two of us Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by brener View Post
do her recent BDs really differ from her DVD recordings? I remember some fans saying that the re-release of DVDs into BDs consisted of the same files from her DVD with no higher resolution, am I right?
That's a load of bull, no question about it. If they were the same files, they'd be playing back at 480p, not 1080p. And even if it were the same 480p content but upscaled to 1080p (even with extremely good upscaling software) it's easy to tell them apart. There's no way the Blu-rays come from the same low-resolution source.

The whole thing is recorded in HD (if they're not using 4K cameras), then it's *down*scaled for the DVD discs. That's how you do it, not the other way around.
Old 10th September 2023, 02:58 PM
Two of us Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by visionfactory View Post
Avex experimented with the hi-res thing but never got profit out of it

Ayu's best selling hi-res disc was RAINBOW with just 943 copies sold

And she was the most important act at the time releasing that kind of format, so imagine the rest... did much worse. It is not profitable
Right, Rainbow and My Story were high-res *CDs* (a CD with 5.1 audio), which very few players can actually play back. That's a "standard" that never caught on.

I was primarily talking about 5.1 DVD and Blu-ray discs; Ayu has a significant number of concert releases in 5.1 - but no more. That's what I was pointing out.
Old 11th September 2023, 01:02 AM
too late Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by _dandy_ View Post
Right, Rainbow and My Story were high-res *CDs* (a CD with 5.1 audio), which very few players can actually play back. That's a "standard" that never caught on.

I was primarily talking about 5.1 DVD and Blu-ray discs; Ayu has a significant number of concert releases in 5.1 - but no more. That's what I was pointing out.
RAINBOW and MY STORY were released as DVD audios, not CD ones (CD didn't have enough space to support 5,1ch audio files).

But yes, thinking about the concerts without that option... I think it was pointless because there's so few people with home theater in home and 5.1 mastering is a total different work comparing to the stereo one, so it's an extra budget to do so.

i'm just tryna find love

Last edited by summerain; 11th September 2023 at 01:04 AM.
Old 11th September 2023, 01:45 PM
INSPIRE Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by _dandy_ View Post
That's a load of bull, no question about it. If they were the same files, they'd be playing back at 480p, not 1080p. And even if it were the same 480p content but upscaled to 1080p (even with extremely good upscaling software) it's easy to tell them apart. There's no way the Blu-rays come from the same low-resolution source.

The whole thing is recorded in HD (if they're not using 4K cameras), then it's *down*scaled for the DVD discs. That's how you do it, not the other way around.
thanks for explaining that