Ayu CAPS (includes merged threads) - Page 3 - Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
· Ayu's Official Site · Ayu's twitter · Ayu's YouTube · masa's translations · Misa-chan's translations ·

Go Back   Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai > Ayumi Hamasaki Forums > Enquiries

Notices

Old 11th December 2004, 04:51 AM
ayu-ro mix 2 Initiate

Why capitalized titles?

Sorry for the stupid stupid question. But does anyone know why ayumi has songs that are sometimes capitalized..sometimes ending with ".."

it just striked me it's kinda funny that she did that. =/ any ideas?

I always hear a voice calling my name.
I will think of you for ever and ever.

Old 1st June 2005, 05:42 AM
Gut it-pez Initiate

Song title

Hey guys... Do you realise that the title of the songs sometimes in full caps, and sometimes not.

Example : GAME (full caps)
walking proud (no caps)
Moments (first letter)
my name's WOMAN (half-half)

Did she leave any meaning behind it?
Old 1st June 2005, 02:51 PM
Banned

I think she puts songs with more meaningful lyrics in all caps. But I'm not entirely sure.
Old 1st June 2005, 03:06 PM
TO BE Initiate

this was brought up quite a while ago... someone give a nice example...
like Far away, it certainly looks nice "Far away" compare to "FAR AWAY" or "far away" or "Far Away" rite? mayb u cant look at it, but last time, some ppl that brought this topic up ended with one conclution, that capitalise shows the artistic side of the tittle... and i really do accept that reason... so how do u take it?
Old 1st June 2005, 03:37 PM
Born To Be... Initiate

Location: Australia-Brisbane, where kangaroos jump around my backyard
probably theres a more powerful or angry meaning in the ones with capitals, hmmm i'm relli not sure~
Old 1st June 2005, 04:50 PM
WHATEVER Initiate

some 1 worte on this topic before......let me c if i can find it......

*EDIT*
i found it.......it was on masa website i don't know if this would be much help.....

Quote:
1. Manner of Writing Lyrics
  There are several things I omitted in writing. I will complement here.
  Firstly, about her manner of writing lyrics. It is well known as follows.
    Language ・・・ Write in Japanese (Titles alone in English)
    Contents ・・・ Express her thoughts, feelings and experiences honestly
  It seems to be a very natural, basic manner of songwriting. But there are very few who write lyrics in such a manner in Japan now. It may be said in fact that she has been writing consistently in the manner she relies on just because she did not know such conditions of the music business world. Looking from language ――
  I have long been fed up with the J-Pop scene where Japanese lyrics with English phrases are flooding. Why are they eager to insert English phrases so often which they never say in their daily conversations? Don't they feel ashamed of themselves reading over their own lyrics? But most of them do this just because they think it is cool (I think it to be the opposite), not because they feel the necessity of inserting, and indeed, they do not make much of lyrics from the first. The group who brought such custom of slighting lyrics to Japanese popular music scene is undoubtedly Southern All Stars. Kuwata Keisuke is much to blame. (The title of his lyrics book was "Merely lyrics, don't tell much about such trifles") I think it is a fact of rejoicing now that after the apperance of Hamasaki Ayumi, many people are beginning to notice the importance of lyrics and the charm of the lyrics written in clear, beautiful Japanese.
  By the way, I think it does not matter whether the song titles are in Japanese or in English, as they are not sung. I had not hit upon the idea of unifying them in English, but once unified, they look stylish and beautiful. (And it is certainly in better taste to name as "FRIEND", "YOU" than as "Tomodachi", "Kimi".) And she goes further to write them in three ways ―― ①All in capital letters ②Only the first letter in capital ③All in small letters ―― I think she does so according to how much she could feel responsiveness in each lyrics.
  As to the contents, on the other hand, we cannot blame many other lyrics writers to be negligent. Because her manner seems to be easy at first glance, but is actually very difficult. If I say it is as same as exposing one's heart and mind to others' eyes, most people will realize how difficult and fearful it is. I think the manner of writing lyrics are classified as follows by the standard of honesty and sincerity.
  ① Express one's thoughts, feelings and experiences honestly
  ② Write a fiction, but put one's thoughts and feelings into it
  ③ Write a fiction, and does not put one's thoughts and feelings

Most of the lyrics flooding in Japan now would be ③. I think it almost a fraud to sing out "I love you", "I will protect you" without thinking of anyone and sell CDs. The typical singer who writes lyrics in the manner of ② would be Shiina Ringo. (I think "Boys & Girls" is the only song written in this manner of all the songs of Hamasaki Ayumi.) But I think the person writing in this manner should always be conscious that there is another person writing in the manner of ① in a higher position, and keep on holding a kind of guilty feelings. (It would prevent him from falling down to the manner of ③.) Because to write a fiction is to tell a lie and to deceive others, and however well and tactfully it is made, a lie is no match for honesty.
  Hamasaki Ayumi is a person who writes in the manner of ①, keeps on doing the most difficult thing, but how many people realize that? Her fans, the reviewers, the staff around her, and even she herself do not seem to be aware of it clearly. She has created three albums and forty-four lyrics for two years and a half after the debut. But you should never describe the fact using such a phrase as the energetic will to creation. Because, setting aside the first album now, she was making every effort, struggling very much to create her second and third album. (And she has been about to break down once at least in the period.) Most people are just praising of the beautiful figure of a swan, never thinking of the legs paddling the water hard. But I would like her fans at least to think of the legs, too.
  Will she keep on going in the manner of ①? She will maybe. And I hope so. But thinking naturally, it is almost unreasonable to keep on making lyrics constantly after this, too, in such a high pace. Fortunately, she is in the state of, so to speak, getting an advantage now, I think, after creating three excellent albums thanks to her efforts. It can be said that she has already earned enough money for avex trax and finished repaying the favour of Mr. Matsuura. I hope she will take it easier hereafter and keep on musical activity, taking a rest whenever she feels there is nothing left to produce, having new experiences and assimilating new things.

Last edited by acimahs; 1st June 2005 at 05:04 PM.
Old 1st June 2005, 06:28 PM
As if.. Initiate

Do we know whether she titles her own songs? How much english skill does she have? Does she consult with an english speaker to find an english word most appropriate to her songs meaning? does she look up a single word in the dictionary?

I'm a synic, so I doubt that the Capitolization has any meaning beyond the visual aesthetics ( in her opinion ). I find the random case setting irritating.
Old 1st June 2005, 06:40 PM
Voyage Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by PickleCookies
I think she puts songs with more meaningful lyrics in all caps. But I'm not entirely sure.
I think that too... I think its kinda cool though how she plays with the words

モーニング娘。の34thシングル

「女に 幸あれ」

CD CD+PB CD+DVD SingleV

Old 1st June 2005, 06:45 PM
HONEY Protector

Location: Oxford, UK (originally from Vancouver Island, Canada)
I bet it's just what she thinks looks good. And Ill bet she just uses a dictionary...

Check out my shop with handmade book jewellery!
Shop: www.coryographies.etsy.com --- Blog: www.coryographies.blogspot.com
Other blog: www.palaeolinguist.blogspot.com --- Other forum: www.linguistforum.com

Old 1st June 2005, 08:32 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakuhatsu
Does she consult with an english speaker to find an english word most appropriate to her songs meaning?
I think that is the case. Most likely someone bilingual from Avex.
Old 2nd June 2005, 04:18 AM
Gut it-pez Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by PickleCookies
I think that is the case. Most likely someone bilingual from Avex.
But, i heard that she used to lived in New York for studying? Maybe she got the capability of choosing the title of her song?
Old 3rd July 2005, 11:34 PM
no more words Initiate

I think her CAPS (GAME, INSPIRE, CAROLS, YOU, ANGEL'S SONG) is more about strength/loss of from love....

her half n half (my name's WOMEN, STEP you, is this LOVE?) is more about the CAPS, and the lowercase supplements it

her all lowercase (walking proud, replace, ourselves) is about protection, and how she looks for other people's love (i think)

her regulated title (Moments, No Way To Say, Honey) is (I think) the variances of love, and how love can make your day or break your day....
Old 4th July 2005, 01:17 AM
talkin' 2 myself Initiate

^^ But her songs isn't just about love...

Girls' Generation is .

Old 4th July 2005, 02:53 AM
Replace Initiate

I'm gonna go with bakuhatsu on this... I think it's just aesthetics. And has anyone noticed that on the album LOVEppears, it's "And Then" but on the ayu-mi-x II albums it's "And then"? Sometimes i think there's a functional purpose behind it (A Song is born vs. a song is born), but to be honest i think it's all just the look, which would explain the And Then difference -- someone just messed up somewhere and it didn't matter really. I don't find it irritating though, and it does make it easier to see individual track titles if you don't know english that well, which might be another reason for ayu and many other artists doing it. Album tracklists look all the same if all the songs are capitalized the proper english way.
Old 4th July 2005, 11:11 PM
no more words Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by asongforXX
^^ But her songs isn't just about love...
sorry... i kinda made it off the top of my head.... hahaha...
Old 5th July 2005, 04:05 PM

^^ Well, maybe you are right, who knows? LOL.

Girls' Generation is .

Old 5th July 2005, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakuhatsu
Do we know whether she titles her own songs? How much english skill does she have? Does she consult with an english speaker to find an english word most appropriate to her songs meaning? does she look up a single word in the dictionary?
i've always wondered that too. seems suspicious that she'd have that much knowledge of the english language to do it without some sort of help...but what kind of help i wonder?

i'd say the caps non caps thing is just something she picks based on some feeling she has for the song or what looks nicer.

I just want to forget it all, without even saying "goodbye."
『Last minute』

Old 5th July 2005, 09:32 PM
GAME Initiate

Ayu isn't the only Japanese artist to do this, I noticed. So I don't really think it has a meaning to it...
Old 6th July 2005, 07:55 AM
July 1st Initiate

yeah it's kind of a trend in japan i think [and i love what masa wrote]

by the way if you notice, all song-title in Mika Nakashima's first album TRUE, is written with full-caps, what about that?
Old 8th July 2005, 11:25 AM
YOU Initiate

It's kind of art in writing songs, I read some books that a song title can affect the hearer's feeling, so I think ayu is trying to give us a certain feeling. about her english, I doubt that she can speak fluently, y'know, when I first hear STEP you, the 1.2.3.4 part is heard like "what you seek for", and it's going to a trouble too in forgiveness

INSPIRE