[A] MADE IN JAPAN song opinions! - Page 3 - Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
· Ayu's Official Site · Ayu's twitter · Ayu's YouTube · masa's translations · Misa-chan's translations ·

Go Back   Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai > Ayumi Hamasaki Forums > Ayu Chat-Room

Notices

Old 11th May 2016, 09:02 PM
walking proud Initiate

Yeah, I actually love all the different sounds that are layered in there. Its just that damn chanting there is just something about how it was done that doesn't feel right.
Old 11th May 2016, 09:12 PM
ANGEL'S SONG H-Initiate

I do love that Survivor is an aural smorgasbord tbh.
Old 11th May 2016, 09:23 PM
Gut it-pez Initiate

I am listening and up to Breakdown.

I adore this album
I'm glad she does a ballad album, more pop and not her usual sound, to rock generally and so on.

It gets her fan base to complain (like myself) who favor whichever sound more lol
but it gives her longevity I personally think.
Old 11th May 2016, 09:26 PM
rainy day Initiate

To the user who commented that FLOWER is the most metal she's done, I'd disagree. Talkin' 2 Myself clearly is. It's like a song you might hear at the opening of the Hell mouth, lol.
Old 11th May 2016, 09:29 PM
walking proud Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeke. View Post
To the user who commented that FLOWER is the most metal she's done, I'd disagree. Talkin' 2 Myself clearly is. It's like a song you might hear at the opening of the Hell mouth, lol.
Talkin' to Myself is up there, but that still had an element of pop to it - I remember all the performances and PV with the dance troupe etc. Talkin' to Myself was dancy, but the drums on Flower are way more metally. I can't picture a dance performance to this song.*

*Famous last words...

Last edited by SunshineSlayer; 11th May 2016 at 09:36 PM.
Old 11th May 2016, 09:45 PM
ayu-ro mix 2 Initiate

Disclaimer: I know ridiculously little about music and am terrible at recognising instruments and describing sounds... and yet I still try!

tasky ★★★★★
I don't rate this intro quite as high as many people have done, but it's definitely epic. I love the beginning, it sounds so mysterious and foreboding. I feel like the track becomes less dynamic after the beat and shamisen come in, but it's still a great ride all the way to the end. Best introduction/interlude since NEXT LEVEL.

FLOWER ★★★★
This is a cool song, but I can't get over Ayu's voice in the chorus. It sounds... distorted? I've seen people claim she shrieks like a banshee before, but this is the first time I actually feel something like that. Maybe it's intentional, since it definitely builds atmosphere and is an interesting sonic element, but it distracts me from the rest of the song too much. That said, everything else is on point. I love the shamisen plucks and the guitar solo. And I can't wait to read the lyrics for this song!

Mad World ★★★★★
Instant favourite. Other people have already praised this song way more eloquently than I could, so I'll just say: same. Her voice is fantastic and full of emotion in this song, it really sounds like she's making a plea. The arrangement isn't really anything special, but it doesn't need to be, it supports Ayu's vocals perfectly. The chorus is so catchy with the "oshiete yo nee" lines. And again, I need the lyrics in my life.

Breakdown ★★★★★
This song makes me feel like swaying with a lighter. I'm such a sucker for rock songs/rock ballads with nice keyboard sounds, and this song does just that, I love how the keyboard is used post-chorus. And Ayu's singing is fantastic again, she sounds weary and almost ready to resign. I love how the last chorus ends with distortion creeping into Ayu's voice, and how she sings one final "kono mama" when you think the song is already over, these details are so great.

Survivor ★★★★
This song really is like INSPIRE, and in the same way, it's a bit too much for me. I love how powerful she sounds in the verses, and I appreciate the effort to create such a distinctive and interesting song, but I find it a bit exhausting to listen to. Also, I definitely feel the Eurovision vibes some people have mentioned, especially with the modulation at the end, lol.

You are the only one ★★★★★
My first time listening to this song, I was ready to criticise it for not committing to being either a quiet, sparse ballad (something like Shape of Love) or a more fleshed out midtempo ballad. It felt like the song was dancing an awkward line, not quite finding its identity. But when I got to the end, and the magnificent boom that happens, it all clicked, and I fell in love with the whole song. Listening to it more, I've also started noticing how the song already starts adding sounds and growing in the second verse, then quiets down to make the final, beautiful explosion of sound that much more powerful. Sooooo good.

I love the arrangement so much. I've loved many of her more traditional-sounding ballads from the last five years (beloved, SAKURA, untitled 2, Out of control, Story, Shape of love, yes yes YES), but it's so refreshing to hear her do something different, and do it SO WELL. I love the more ambient, electronic sound, the bagpipe flourishes, the booming percussion at the end, the otherworldly synth sounds in the second verse. Ayu's voice is great as well, but I feel like the arrangement steals the show here (at least until I get to read the lyrics, which might emphasize different things in the song).

However... having seen SEOHYUN compare this song to hbya on the last page... I'm starting to see the parallels, and I'd rather not, lol. This song is whole galaxies better though, thank goodness.

TODAY ★★★
It's very pleasant to listen to, but the melody just won't stick with me, it refuses to be memorable. I feel like I might start liking this song more after further listening, but for now, this is kind of the weakest link on the album for me.

Mr. Darling ★★★★
I love how the song opens with just the acoustic guitar and Ayu. The melody is really, really lovely, the chorus is super catchy, and I'm starting to get the verse into my head as well. I feel like this is another song that might grow on me in the future, it's just a lovely piece of well-made pop-rock, which is exactly what I usually like.

Summer love ★★★★
What a generic title, lol. I love the verses, the beat gets me going, but I have some gripes with the chorus. I have nothing against the mood becoming all sunny and cheery in a split second, but I dislike how the arrangement seems to go sparser; this is the chorus, it's supposed to be the big draw of the song, I want it to be beefier and bigger and louder, I want all the sounds! This won't be one of my top dance songs from Ayu, but I really enjoy it, way more than I thought I would at first!

Many Classic Moments ★★★★★
I can't help but give this song five stars, it's one of my all-time favourites. But honestly, Ayu's version is vastly inferior to the original. The breakdown is a disappointment, and this version lacks the dynamics of the original song. Still, Ayu delivers with the emotion, which is the most important thing.

I'm trying to come up with some sort of concluding thoughts about the album but coming up empty-handed. I'll just say: I really liked A ONE, and at first listen, I didn't think I would like this album quite as much, but I'm starting to feel like I might love MADE IN JAPAN as much, if not more. This album has some really outstanding songs that demand repeated, intense listening. I hope the album will surprise me and only grow on me more in the future! Overall, I'm really happy with what Ayu has produced, and also happy to see it being received so well.

Last edited by Kacku; 11th May 2016 at 09:55 PM.
Old 11th May 2016, 09:49 PM
ayu-ro mix 2 Initiate

^^ Also, talkin' myself is expressing "anger" as in the anger/will to keep living holding your head high, it has this positive vibe. But FLOWER is like, anger, just anger.

I didn't know what to think when i first listened, not gonna do a review songs by songs, but now that i listened to the songs several times : i like everything from track 1 to 6, though Breakdown is my least favourite, the melody is too similiar to Shape of love and that bugs me, if Shape of love hadn't been released before, i would have enjoyed it more, dunno if this was intentionnal or not, but the end with her voice distording is great.
You're the only one is A+, it has this super warm feeling, i feel like i'm being surrounded by love, kindness, idk, all the best feelings in the world all at once. When she starts singing "you're the only one~~~" at the end i almost cry, her vocals are A+ too.
TODAY and Mr.Darling are my least favorite, TODAY sounds like that kind of song that could be played in a random japanese commercial. Mr.Darling, idk, i like it but i feel like skipping it just to get to Summer Love! Plus from what i can understand from the chorus she's begging her lover to always stay by her side and i'm done with that lmao
Summer Love is a mess, love the instrumental but yeah when the chorus kicks in it leaves you with a "meh" feeling, that song would have been perfect with a different chorus, overall it sounds dated but it's a guilty pleasure, that's the kind of song you would NEVER make your friends listen to cause deep down you know it sucks but you love it anyway

arena tour 2016 ~M(A)DE IN JAPAN~ @ Yoyogi : 08/07 & 09/07
arena tour 2018 ~POWER of MUSIC 20th anniversary~ @ Osaka-jô hall : 21/07 & 22/07
COUNTDOWN LIVE 2023-2024 A ~A COMPLETE 25~ @ Yoyogi : 30/12 & 31/12

浜崎あゆみ ~since 2009~
tumblr ; last.fm

Last edited by attractive nausea; 11th May 2016 at 09:55 PM.
Old 11th May 2016, 10:10 PM
Far away Initiate

After listening to it for about 5, 6 times, this is my take (it might change with time):

tasky - I stan, one of her best intros EVER and one of (or the best) best tracks on the album - 10/10

FLOWER, Mad World and Breakdown - I have the same issue with all of them: I really liked the arrangements, the intros (Breakdown's almost brought me to tears) and the verses, my only complaint are the choruses, idk what it is but they just don't make it up for the rest of the songs, FLOWER being the one I just couldn't click more. Mad World and Breakdown's are ok, which btw, Breakdown reminds me so much of Shape of love I actually thought Sol's chorus would fit better in Breakdown. Oh, and the dramatic guitar solo in the was a bit too much, I may get used to it (or not). In the end:

FLOWER - 7/10 | Mad World - 7.5/10 | Breakdown - 7.5/10

Survivor - I don't know what to say about it, but not in a bad way. It's unique, it's different, I might grown on me. 7/10

You are the only one - Really really really beautiful arrangement, if she decides to record a PV for it I can see her singing in the clouds, something dreamy. However, I do feel the chorus lacks something, but still a really beautiful song, one of her most unique tracks. 8/10

TODAY - Generic? Yes. Amazing? Not at all. Do I like it? Yes, lel. It's cute, but not in a extra way, just "simple cute". 8/10

Mr. Darling - I liked the arrangements, the verses and the bridge. But again, I have an issue with the chorus and the almost cutesy voice. 7/10

Summer Love - I was scared this was gonna be something like Summer diary because of the title or You & Me when I read it was the EDM track... thank god it wasn't either. I love it, very summerish, the chorus isn't as strong as the rest of track but it doesn't take it away. I bet it's gonna be lit live. 7.5/10

Overall, I enjoyed it better than A ONE and sixxxxxx but I feel like there's some things missing that just keep it from being a masterpiece. 7/10

Last edited by RealLight; 11th May 2016 at 11:55 PM.
Old 12th May 2016, 12:34 AM
Initiate

tasky - 4/5 - Gorgeous intro, I just with it had some kind of vocals, some ahhh~ or random stuff, just to make less empty. It has a more interlude vibe than intro, but still very good.
FLOWER - 3/5 - The songs is very much like Free & Easy to me, with calm melody with a explosive chorus, my only complain about it is that the chorus sounds a little too messy, it's just too much going on. Maybe a live version will sound better. The structure of the song is well done.
Mad World - 5/5 - I'm usually not a fan of songs like this, the pop rock slow tempo, but this one is sooo good! The only thing that I have to complain is the drums sounds so artificial to me, but I can see the live version being pretty epic with the live band.
Breakdown - 5/5 - Another great one! The vocal is good, the instrumental is good, the production is good enough. Nothing to complain in here, really.
Survivor - 5/5 - This is a 2004/2005 demo and no one will change my mind about it. I can see Ayu going on a record session and doing Fairyland, Inspire and Survivor all together. The attention to detail is remaining of her songs during that time, with a lot of different layers and instruments. By the fact that we can hear a freaking bird during the song, it just makes it so awesome. This is the Ayumi Hamasaki that I love.
You are the only one - 4/5 - The song is good, it's a moody song. I recomend to you guys to try to listen to this song during a rainy day and looking through the window. I just with the vocals were softer during the chorus, the vibrato is not that good for this song. Something like the JEWEL's vocals would make the song even better.
TODAY - 3/5 - It's that kind of song for the encore, the last song of the concert and even has a small gap in the middle to have Ayu saying a love message to everybody there. Good, but not that interesting.
Mr.Darling - 2/3 - Her vocals are annoying in here, dear God. Not a fan at all. The chorus is good, but that's it. It's not a bad song, but it's a song for an album like LOVE again/A ONE, and not here. The song doesn't fit the album, so get out.
Summer Love - 3/5 - Some parts of the song are really good, like the intro and that EDM instrumental right before the vocals, but the rest is just so basic. It's just a 2013 EDM song, it doesn't sound current at all. And I have one problem with Ayu's EDM songs (except for Terminal): they all have weak chorus. XOXO, feel the love, You & Me and Summer Love. It's not really a bad song, but it's missing some thing here and there.

What I like the most about this album is that Ayu is not there hoping for you to give attention to her, or begging your attention. She's demanding that you listen to her and feel what she's trying to say with all she has. Ths is an Ayumi Hamasaki album, and it actually feels like a good and natural progression: NEXT LEVEL - Rock'n'Roll Circus - Party Queen - MADE IN JAPAN. Good one Ayu, you should get a golden star for this one.
Old 12th May 2016, 01:17 AM
Who... Initiate

This album was F-ING FLAWLESS! I'm so glad we got the album this early because now I know for a fact that it's an amazing album. I didn't really enjoy A ONE as much as I thought I would, probably due to it being really heavy on the ballads, and although i love Ayumi's ballads, too many of them make the album really boring for me. and I'm like this on all the albums I listen to. On A ONE I only listened to like 3 songs, the rest I just kind of skipped. This is my little mini review of MADE IN JAPAN. These are my opinions and mine alone ^^

01. Tasky [10/10] - I actually really LOVED this intro. it's my favorite since tasking from (miss)understood in 2006. I love how it plays into the song, some of her interludes don't really go with the song after to me and i think they are oddly placed, but this one is AMAZING. I LOVE the use of the Japanese strings. It's an amazing opening to the album.

02. FLOWER [10/10] - O.O was all i could do when i first listened to it. It's so different from anything I feel we've had in an ayu album in so long. When I first read the lyric snippet of this song I really thought this was going to be a ballad. The continuation of the strings from Tasky is flawless. I'll admit the chorus threw me off a little, just because she did that little whine thing I first heard in Love Song and like Love Song it threw me off, but it's very quickly growing on me! This is a legit rock track, and this blows WARNING out of the water.

03. Mad World [7/10] - I expected this to be the rock track from the title, but Ayu has further proved that THE TITLE OF THE SONG MEANS NOTHING lol, I love the piano in this song, it's so beautiful, This sounds very western 2000's to me, which I love so much. The chorus is simple, and beautiful. To sum it up Mad World may not be one of my favorite tracks on the album, but I won't skip it, like i did with 3/4 of A ONE.

04. Breakdown [5/10] - Very pretty opening for me. This is the first ballad on the album. I was very surprised to see this title. I always expected this to be a more rock track like Mad World, but I do love it. Her medium Ballads, like this song, have always been some of my favorites. Although her mixed ballads: progress, Last minute ect, are my favorites. But this isn't a straight ballad so I am still able to enjoy it.

05. Survivor [2/10] - My VERY FIRST thought of this song was: This is gonna be awesome! by the first few seconds then it became "WHAT THE EVER FUCK IS THIS SHIT?!" the chanting is so weird to me and I would personally prefer it not be there. I feel like it throws off the song like a lot. But the vocals are really great! I love the arrangement! I'm hearing "Fly away" and "Try again" which makes me really excited for the translation. To sum up, please dear god release a version of this song without the chanting. I feel like "we'll be right back with an awesome ayumi hamasaki track after this short commercial break"

06. You are the only one [4/10] - The second ballad of the album, and the second longest track of the album. I do wish the other songs were longer, especially FLOWER. I would have been perfectly fine with a seven minute song for it. If i had to say I had a least favorite song on this album, it would probably be this one. It's just very bland to me, compared to the others. But I still don't skip it like I do. She sounds amazing, Her rise in octaves is flawless!

07. TODAY [4/10] - This song is a little boring to me too. but it's still kind of cute. It's feels like a happy ballad to me, this is without reading the translation. It's very SEVEN DAYS WAR to me. I don't have much of an opinion about this song, but I do enjoy it.

08. Mr.Darling [3/10] - I wasn't too fond of the title of the song, but I don't mind the song itself. It's very cutesy. I love the acoustic guitar, it sounds like this song could have been on Love songs. This song sounds very Michelle Branch to me most of the time. It's a very cute song.

09. Summer Love [6/10] - After Summer diary I was expecting something more like that, I was not expecting an EDM track like Lelio but I was very excited! I have to admit the beat does actually sound VERY KPOP, but It's nice to have a legit SUMMER SONG like we use to have on her albums! I actually really enjoy this song. I know some people have compared this to Koda Kumi but I don't think that at all. I love this track and I think it's adorable!
Old 12th May 2016, 02:24 AM
Initiate

Based on the lyrics, this album seems to tell this message "the world is awful out there, but love is great and I feel happy to have you." For example, the lyrics of TODAY is pretty much an answer to what she asks in Mad World.
Old 12th May 2016, 02:44 AM
TO BE Initiate

My favs are FLOWER and Mad World <3 suchs strong songs

Survivor, summer love are so catchy and dancy,

And the winner for me in the ballad-midtempo songs is Your are de only one <3

Also breakdown sounds a looooooooooooooooooot like shape of love, it makes me confuse sometimes whether which one I'm actually listenting to

I give the album a 9/10 Like A ONE has evertything for every taste (rock, pop-rock-ballad, EDM...)

Old 12th May 2016, 02:59 AM
winding road H-Initiate

tasky - Amazing intro, nough said. 5/5

FLOWER - I'm not sure... I like it, but at the same time it's a bit too much? Idk, the chorus sounds a bit over the top. Not bad, but I feel her screaming is exaggerated. This song has some great live potential though. 3/5

Mad World - I LOVE IT. The song flows perfectly for beginning to end, I like everything about it, the chorus is amazing. 5/5

Breakdown - I really love the chorus of this song as well. At first the verses sounded like so many other of her songs, but then the chorus came and I love it to bits. This so is so Ayu I can't help but love it. I took me a while to get used to the ending though, but I get the idea. 5/5

Survivor - This song is so interesting! It's so different, but still fits the album. I like it a lot, it manages to sound fresh but still "Ayu" at the same time. 4/5

You are the only one - SO BEAUTIFUL. I love it so much already, this song is gorgeous and it manages to become even more beautiful towards the end. 5/5

TODAY - I think this is my least favorite song in the album... It's not bad, it's lovely actually, but just not up there with the others. It's fine. 2.5/5

Mr.Darling - I only have one problem with this song, and it's that she's forcing her vocals way too much. Other than that I really like this song, it flows so well, I really like the chorus. 3/5 (if it weren't for the vocals I would give it a 4/5)

Summer Love - I like it! I was surprised with an EDM track after the previous songs, but I'm glad it's there. It gives the album a nice uplifting feeling at the end. It's a really fun track. 4/5

Many Classic Moments - not new, but I actually love this cover so much. imo it fits this album really well, specially after Summer Love. Definitely not mad about it being included. 4/5

Old 12th May 2016, 03:09 AM
Don't look back Initiate

^How is that F-ing Flawless when your scores for more than half the album lie on the bottom side HAHAH!! I guess its the whole package?
====
Here's my review:

tasky - 8/10
To be honest, I only heard this ONCE because interludes/intros were never my thing but I know this is one of the better instrumental pieces in her career!

FLOWER - 9/10
It's actually growing on me still. I absolutely LOVE the power she has on this track and bringing something new to her discography. It's so strong and kinda like a rude awakening if anyone came expecting a beautiful spring song. I've gotten used to her accented vocals in the chorus which is actually really refreshing and fierce. And yes, the traditional sounds are superb.

Mad World - 9/10
I honestly expected more when I first heard it. But after a while, it felt so right. Everything was just tight in this song. From the progression, to her vocals and to the emotions that are conveyed - everything was on point. I could even envision this very vast wordly feeling when listening to the chorus, as though she was belting from a mountain...kinda like a SURREAL PV HAHAH or even a very psychedelic PV where she spins in a cube. The piano opening is gorgeous too, and the riffs are LOVE.

Breakdown - 9.5/10
(Honestly after going back to Shape of love, I can't remember how this one sounds.) There's something very unique about the melody. It seems like a ballad from some period war drama and I love those desolate vibes. And the way the chorus just HITS is perfect. And have I even started spazzing about the amazing clever ending?!?! I can't even. I love it when they put in something special in music to convey something. Like how Last Links was only audible on the right side for the beginning. It's so beautiful to know they thought about giving the song its own unique character for what it intends to convey.

Survivor - 8.5/10
DIG THIS ENTIRELY! INSPIRE was one of the FIRST J-Pop songs I've heard LOL so this is an amazing throwback to that nostalgia. I've been dreaming of a fierce pop dance track from Ayu for the longest time and finallyyyy. The tribal sounds are so apt!! Though, I have to agree with SunshineSlayer, the chanting does sound..subpar? It STILL sounds like her dancers singing LOL. If it was a more TRIBAL ETHNIC chant, maybe that would be much more eclectic and rich-sounding. Still, I love how there are guitars and a good beat and yes birds.

You are the only one - 9/10
The celtic and ethereal sounds of this doesn't make it sound like a J-Pop tune at all! For the beginning, I have Angel vibes LOLOL (and this song is honestly what Angel wanted to become but didn't). Ayu truly soars on this track especially at the end! OMG what on earth is that? That's definitely something you wont come across ever in her music. All that belting and adlibbing which sounds PERFECTLY HEAVENLY. And also, I actually find her vibrato STUNNING. There's this very opera-tic and warm feeling when she sings in the first chorus. Overall, an amazing ballad with amazing well-controlled vocals!

TODAY - 9/10
Not sure why so many people arnt fond of this song?!?! It's so simple and beautiful! And that's one of the greatest points about it. The piano and warmth exuding from the melody is gorgeous. In fact, I find it one of her best midtempo "filler" (if you must call it) tracks. It's definitely better than Melody, Gloria (do you even remember that song), RED LINE. I love how she drags the last note in the lines of the chorus. I can also totally imagine her going "Eyy...soredemo..." during the piano section to intro her dancers or band. And the positive message in the song matches so well with its mood. Everything is great!

Mr.Darling - 7.5/10
Hello Darling! Indeed this song is such a dear. Thank goodness its not an overly cutesy track and its even acoustic, which adds more points to it. It's really not that bad not on par with some previous tracks which are similar.

Summer Love - 9.5/10
YES I LOVE THIS SONG SO MUCH! It's PURE J-POP EDM and J-POP is what you're listening to btw. Not American EDM pop. So embrace it! Usually I have issues with songs that start out darker and transit into a lighter cheery mood, but I somehow DIG this so much! There's this part in the intro where I can envision some form of signature dance move because it's just soooo catchy. And I'm sure this song is gonna be a blast in the concert.

OVERALL:
Really enjoyed this album a lot! And will continue to do so since I think most of these songs are ranked high up in her disco already.
Old 12th May 2016, 03:16 AM
still alone Initiate

Really good album. I do get the deja vu nostalgic feel. I was listening to You are the only one and I bet she will do her tissue dance for this song. Especially when she screams in the last verse. WOW. I can imagine she's being lifted up with all the dramatic effects. These are all concert songs IMO.
Old 12th May 2016, 03:31 AM
ANGEL'S SONG H-Initiate

Listening to Mr. Darling, I just wanna find people and tell them ZUTTO SOBA NI ITE!!!!! in a squeaky voice with a guitar strapped onto my back.

Then the guitar breakdown happens and I JUST MELT.
Old 12th May 2016, 04:11 AM
WHATEVER Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by 280301 View Post
tasky - 3.5/5

FLOWER - 2.5/5

Mad World - 2.5/5

Breakdown - 3/5

Survivor - 2/5

You are the only one - 4/5

TODAY - 2.5/5

Mr.Darling - 2.5/5

Summer Love - 3/5

Based on my first listen. It seems better than Colours, but on par with A ONE and Sixxxxxx. Ayu needs to experiment more with arrangement for me to be blown away. Everything is original, but nothing sounds *classic* to me.
So now that I have listened to the album a few more times, I feel as if some amendment is necessary.

tasky - 3.5/5
This opening is above average

FLOWER - 3.0/5.0
I enjoy rock music and Ayu's interpretation of it prior to 2010, and I am enthralled by the traditional elements that have been interwoven, but the guitar isn't 'raw' enough for me, and Ayu's vocals here are awful in the chorus. You can hear her trying to hit those notes, and you anticipate and cheer her on...but she just doesn't soar through them. She croaks.

Mad World - 4.0/5.0
This melody has finally found its way into my soul. When I initially listened to it, I found it to be far too similar to tracks such as Last Links. I enjoy how the guitar carries this song, Ayu's vocals are on point, and the overall atmosphere is touching, I would flick a lighter and sway my arm if I was in her audience.

Breakdown - 4.0/5.0
Similar to Shape of Love, but it has this melancholic vibe and an intriguing ending. I feel when I listen to this track, I am walking tediously along a dark corridor, unaware of what is around the corner.

Survivor - 2.5/5.0
INSPIRE part II. Average, but I can imagine the audience getting down to this at her concert.

You are the only one - 4.0/5.0
A unique ballad contribution to her discography, and perhaps the standout track of the album. This is so...I think what I enjoy is that I do not delegate this track to any other Ayu era. This is the creative bounty of the Ayu from 'now'.

TODAY - 2.5/5
Average, typical Ayu concert ender. It isn't noteworthy, the melody is weakish.

Mr.Darling - 3.0/5.0
Not overtly impressed with the vocal style here, but the track is quite pleasant, the choruses are warm and ear worm worthy, but I think it is outshone by the first six tracks.

Summer Love - 3.0/5.0
A homage to 80s/early 90s jpop, but with modern EDM influences. I enjoy how light and poppy this is, I would love to see it paired with Feel the love, Movin' on without you, Merry go round and STEP you. Props to Ayu if she dresses up like a jpop star from the 80s/early 90s. I will fangirl like crazy.

3.3/5.0
A very deserving score, with some tracks being creative and promising, but others being 'business as usual'. For Ayu to improve, she needs to seriously consider expanding her production team. This is an Ayumi Hamasaki album, but it is not a masterpiece by any means. This is not Duty, this is not I am..., and this certainly isn't (miss)understood. Conceptually, she hit the mark in the vein of these albums, but the overall quality of each singular track just doesn't cut it. If she had 5/6 more tracks and had continued to display this degree of diversity, perhaps. For now however, some tracks continue to be more 'quality' than others, and until she pours those creative juices into every single track, she will continue to produce average, to slightly above albums.
Old 12th May 2016, 05:56 AM
NEVER EVER Initiate

FAVORITES!
1 Summer Love
2 Mad World
3 FLOWER
4 Survivor

NOT LIKE IT:
You are the only one
TODAY
Mr.Darling
Breakdown
Old 12th May 2016, 08:57 AM
Born To Be... Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaled kalil View Post
Survivor - 5/5 - This is a 2004/2005 demo and no one will change my mind about it. I can see Ayu going on a record session and doing Fairyland, Inspire and Survivor all together. The attention to detail is remaining of her songs during that time, with a lot of different layers and instruments. By the fact that we can hear a freaking bird during the song, it just makes it so awesome. This is the Ayumi Hamasaki that I love.
I don't think it is supposed to be a bird, but a hint to some African warrior noises/screams. Which makes the song even better!

That's what it is with Made in Japan. Most of the songs are so cleverly made... even when one song ain't your cup of tea, you still can appreciate the existance of it.

Old 12th May 2016, 09:31 AM
End of the World Initiate

tasky - 5/5
Great intro. I love such oriental-folk style tunes.

FLOWER - 5/5
Melody line of verses reminds me of "Ballad" but this one is faster, powerful and rock-ish.

Mad World - 3.5/5
Decent song with good lyrics and mature vocal but it's just generic Ayu-style midtempo.

Breakdown - 5/5
It's kinda like ballad version of "Last minute". I loved it from first listen.

Survivor - 4/5
Very original and catchy one with Timmy's good job in it.

You are the only one - 4.5/5
Ethereal ballad which reminds me some of OLIVIA's works.

TODAY - 2/5
Forgettable and generic but I like lyrics.

Mr.Darling - 1.5/5
One of those cute and annoying - don't fit to this album.

Summer Love - 0/5
Unpleasantly breaking consistent concept of this album. Instead of nice instrumental arrangement we're getting generic electronic crap.

I like first part of the album (refreshing and dynamic arrangements) but than it's getting worse and worse. IMO much better than "sixxxxxx" but not than "A One" (people may say it was boring or generic but at least not made me skip half of the album).

Tags
made in japan