Ayu is now on Spotify - Page 5 - Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
· Ayu's Official Site · Ayu's twitter · Ayu's YouTube · masa's translations · Misa-chan's translations ·

Go Back   Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai > Ayumi Hamasaki Forums > Ayu Music News

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 14th January 2017, 03:03 AM
ANGEL'S SONG Initiate

Spotify is shitty platform, I wish ayufans listened to her CDs real music instead

My first J-pop cover album is out on Spotify! Please check it out!
Old 14th January 2017, 04:56 PM
Endless sorrow Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by visionfactory View Post
Spotify is shitty platform, I wish ayufans listened to her CDs real music instead

I do both + listen to downloaded iTunes Plus when I'm feeling like it lol. I like having many options to listen to her

Old 14th January 2017, 07:45 PM
WE WISH Initiate

I love this. I personally love Spotify for most of the music I listen to. So I love having ayu there and making ayu playlists on there

Ayu 💛 JASMINE 💛 Hikki 💛 Eiko 💛 MELL
♡ MUCC ♡

Twitter

Old 14th January 2017, 11:06 PM
ayu trance Initiate

Quote:
Why do you think it's a shitty platform?

ARENA TOUR 2015 A Cirque de Minuit ~Mayonaka no Circus~ @ Saitama Super Arena 2015.04.11/12
ARENA TOUR 2018 ~POWER of MUSIC 20th Anniversary~ @ Saitama Super Arena 2018.04.07
Tokyo Rainbow Pride @ Yoyogi Park 2018.05.06
a-nation' 2018 @ Ajinomoto Stadium 2018.08.26
LIVE TOUR -TROUBLE- 2018-2019 A @ Nakano Sunplaza 2019.02.06
ayumi hamasaki 21st anniversary -POWER of A^3- @ Saitama Super Arena 2019.04.07
Old 15th January 2017, 12:50 AM
still alone Initiate

Quote:
This post gives me hope.
I totally agree. Don't let the spirit of music die.
But it is good for someone that has no way to access her music. I wish we could all have a balance between physical and digital music one day. That way everyone can have the best of both worlds.
Old 15th January 2017, 03:25 AM
independent Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndOfTheWorld View Post
This post gives me hope.
I totally agree. Don't let the spirit of music die.
But it is good for someone that has no way to access her music. I wish we could all have a balance between physical and digital music one day. That way everyone can have the best of both worlds.
What kind of balance are you asking for?

To me it seems like we can have the best of both at the moment. People who like to stream music can do that and whoever wants to buy CDs can do so as well. Streaming won't stop anyone who wants the CD from buying them.

I don't really get why you are so against streaming services. Everyone has their preference. Some care about the streaming quality, some don't. Some want to own the CD and some don't.
I think services like Spotify make it easy to listen to music, so even casual listeners get to hear songs they wouldn't buy and instead (possibly) illegally download.
Old 15th January 2017, 04:09 AM
still alone Initiate

That balance is getting crushed. What happens to the people who want real music releases when more and more people sacrifice values for the convenience of streaming? That is why many of you may not care, physical music is not a threat to you.
The balance I am looking for is a coexistence of digital and physical. But that can't happen if one is supported way more than the other.
Being able to access music online has been extremely beneficial to me over the years. I am not quite against it existing, but more against putting priority of it over cds and vinyl etc. It's a great way to discover new artists and experience what their music is like. Also to try albums out before buying them.
But to only stream music is something I won't understand because to my mind, if you care about music, you would want the actual album. It represents the artists finished product. The manifestation of their creative ideas, brought to life. It's not just a plastic case with a disc inside that "takes up sooo much space".
So long answer short, I am against streaming services taking over, not them existing.
Old 15th January 2017, 04:21 AM
independent Initiate

No streaming service will stop a person from buying the CD if they want to. Anyone who wants a CD will buy it sooner or later.

I also don't think that one can necessarily say that if you like the music you will want to buy the CD as well. I think you shouldn't assume things just because you yourself would do it like that. I get it, I do that too, but to some having the album or just the download doesn't make much difference. It's about listening to the music itself and you can do that either way.

I don't think streaming will lead to no CDs being release anymore so I don't think there is a missing balance. To me it seems both do coexist already.
I actually think streaming is leading to a lot of people actually supporting artists they might only casually listen to. I've seen it with my friends and myself: instead of downloading songs online they stream it through Spotify/Apple Music/etc. and the artist gets at least some money.

Anyway, thanks for sharing your opinion
Old 15th January 2017, 04:36 AM
still alone Initiate

Well yes, those who want the CD will buy and those who want to stream will stream. But what happens is, as streaming becomes more and more popular, music companies will decide to stop producing physical albums because it will save them money. Then we have to conform to the streaming lifestyle.
The only reason things are balanced now is because there are still many people who are old enough to know the value of collecting music. The kids of today and the future will all be born into this streaming format, causing the death of music collecting.
But you're welcome, I always like to hear what people think. I'm glad you are optimistic.
Old 15th January 2017, 08:20 AM
UNITE! Initiate

They still make CDs?
Old 15th January 2017, 11:00 AM
Born To Be... Initiate

Agreed with labello

Spotify does not stop people in buying CDs.
I still think everyone sees value in owning physicals copies. When the album is good, people are more willing to buy it. I would not have bought Birdy's Beautiful Lies without streaming first, for example. Spotify gives enough credit to the artist. Also, because of streaming I have discovered lots of new artists I enjoy and really want to see live. Spotify is easy to use, easy to share and a much better platfom to get to know an artist, than buying random CDs, just because you only enjoyed one hit they kept playing on the radio. With Spotify we still support the artist. Streaming does not stop them from releasing new music.

Also, I really won't mind if companies decided to make less physical copies. Producing is expensive and a lot of waste of material. When you see Ayu's physical sales for examply, it is always around 15k. I would say: release first 10k copies and restock when more people want it. It is less production, less expensive, the product becomes more exclusive (maybe even rare) and the 'waste' is well, easier to handle. That why I don't agree with releases like A BEST -15th Anniversairy Version-. I hate it to say, but it is waste. I care much less when I can listen to the album online. In that way, I still support Ayu in making new music.

It comes to mind that not every album is available on Spotify. Taylor Swift and Beyoncé have decided not to stream their latest album. I don't think it effected their sales in any way differently.

Old 15th January 2017, 11:53 AM
Crazy 4 U H-Initiate

I don't really need streaming services.
I did use Apple Music for a while, and while it is convenient having so much to discover and stream being on the way, my mobile internet just isn't enough to use it for a long time. And if I want to use it more, it gets quite expensive with mobile internet. And for using it at home I don't need it anyway. Besides, new material of Japanese artists always need a lot of time getting uploaded.
So I cancelled my account again and just bought a bigger card for my mobile phone. Like that I have all my favourite music with me.

「変わらないなら 変えるしかない」

Old 15th January 2017, 01:03 PM
Initiate

I can't with people who thinks that streaming with end the physical CD market. CDs killed LPs and they are still being released, netflix killed DVD/Blu-ray and they still a thing. Don't worry, they won't end something that they can still make money out of it from collectors and stuff.

I personally don't care for the music streaming business, but I think it's a valid thing for you to know different styles and artists that you would never know otherwise.

As someone said early, I only use spotify when I don't care about the album enough for me to buy/rip my own copy.

This whole thing "stream vs physical copy" is getting like "you're only a real fan if you listen to her musics with the original copy". Blah.
Old 15th January 2017, 01:55 PM
still alone Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaled kalil View Post
I can't with people who thinks that streaming with end the physical CD market. CDs killed LPs and they are still being released, netflix killed DVD/Blu-ray and they still a thing. Don't worry, they won't end something that they can still make money out of it from collectors and stuff.

I personally don't care for the music streaming business, but I think it's a valid thing for you to know different styles and artists that you would never know otherwise.

As someone said early, I only use spotify when I don't care about the album enough for me to buy/rip my own copy.

This whole thing "stream vs physical copy" is getting like "you're only a real fan if you listen to her musics with the original copy". Blah.
I don't think anyone here is saying that streaming and exploring music online is without huge benefits. I would not even be such a big fan of Jpop if it weren't for things like Youtube and streaming. Digital music has allowed me to discover music that I never would have access too otherwise. Spotify has it's benefits. Physical and digital both have pros and cons.
The point is that at this current moment, yes CDs still exist. But streaming will only increase. In the future, CDs will be gone unless people like me try to keep it alive. Future generations will not even know what a CD is so why would they buy them. It costs money to produce CDs and they will stop making them when they stop selling enough to make a decent profit. Just look at the gaming industry. Some games are not even released physically AT ALL and this is becoming more frequent. A sign of the future.
If you guys think streaming won't kill CDs, that is a bit of denial. There are people that actually would like CDs to go away they hate them so much.
Some people just can't understand this argument because they don't feel the same way as people who prefer physical. Owning the physical copy or building a collection is an emotional thing. Some people love the feeling of owning and holding the physical representation of an artists work. They feel a sense of pride building a large collection of music they love so much. They want to hear their favorite songs in the high quality that they deserve to be heard in. Having something the artist can autograph. Looking at the pictures and artwork. Having the liner notes/lyrics.
Those who prefer streaming only just don't understand these feelings, so they don't understand what people like me are talking about.
Some people just want to hear the song and that is it. I don't feel that way but there isn't anything wrong with that. Sadly these people have a negative effect on those who love the physical releases.
As for the argument of "only true fans by the CD", I think there is some truth to that. If somebody really is a fan, just pressing play on a highly compressed digital file for free, versus buying the album, holding the artists finished product they worked hard on, reading the lyrics, sitting down and listening to it in their room, listening to all the details in the music, admiring the album on the shelf. Those fans just don't see how the album is an integral part of the artist they claim to love so much.
For example, I think someone who only streams an artist's music when they can easily buy the CD/vinyl shows a lack of passion for the artist since they don't even think their album is worth paying money for or owning. But this doesn't mean they don't qualify as a fan.
Old 15th January 2017, 02:55 PM
As if.. Initiate

I used to collect CDs especially in the early 2000's when my Jpop craze was at a high point and would purchase both the CD and CD+DVD edition of singles and albums As I've gotten older though I realize that I wouldn't even touch the CDs that are displayed on a bookcase anymore after I ripped them on my computer. I was basically just throwing money away collecting CDs that were gathering dust which is why I turned to streaming. I always just use my phone to listen to music now anyways. I get a bluetooth speaker and I'm good to go. Same goes for my car so I just don't have any need to buy albums anymore I don't think that takes away the "experience". I never just sit down and look through the booklet while listening to an album anyways so that doesn't relate to me. And that goes for all media really. Video games, music, books, movies etc. I've strictly gone digital. At the end of the day, we're all going to die and it's all materialistic things that isn't coming to the grave with us :\ (sorry to make it morbid at the end lol)

Quote:
For example, I think someone who only streams an artist's music when they can easily buy the CD/vinyl shows a lack of passion for the artist since they don't even think their album is worth paying money for or owning. But this doesn't mean they don't qualify as a fan.
Nothing against you at all, but I have a problem with you suggesting that it's "easy to buy" :\ Some people don't have the extra money to buy the CD. Some people live in shoebox size apartments where every space counts. I don't think it's fair to suggest that these people don't "value" an artists work just because they're not physically purchasing it.

Last edited by indigochild; 15th January 2017 at 03:03 PM.
Old 15th January 2017, 04:54 PM
As if.. Initiate

People need to get over with that. Different times, different ways to listen to music! Just choose what is best for you.
Old 15th January 2017, 05:12 PM
still alone Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by indigochild View Post
Nothing against you at all, but I have a problem with you suggesting that it's "easy to buy" :\ Some people don't have the extra money to buy the CD. Some people live in shoebox size apartments where every space counts. I don't think it's fair to suggest that these people don't "value" an artists work just because they're not physically purchasing it.
That's fine. What I meant was that, for those people only. For the people that do have the money and do have the space. I am aware that for some people, buying the CD is not an option for them. I totally understand that. Buying vinyl and CDs is a luxury that not everyone has. In that instance, I was referring to the people that are totally able to but don't. Everyone has a different situation.
For me I don't have a steady income at all. Entertainment media in Japan is ridiculously priced. Even I get fed up with it so I get the money problem for sure. Jpop is not a cheap hobby.
Old 15th January 2017, 07:16 PM
UNITE! Initiate

Quote:
As for the argument of "only true fans by the CD", I think there is some truth to that. If somebody really is a fan, just pressing play on a highly compressed digital file for free, versus buying the album, holding the artists finished product they worked hard on, reading the lyrics, sitting down and listening to it in their room, listening to all the details in the music, admiring the album on the shelf. Those fans just don't see how the album is an integral part of the artist they claim to love so much.
Look, I'd rather pay a Spotify subscription and be able to listen to all ayu albums in great quality than saving like, four months worth of subscription and be able to buy ONE physical album of hers that I won't even be able to listen away from home. I love having the album together with my collection, seeing the booklet, looking at the cover, but it's impossible nowadays. I have a very big ayu collection but the last thing I bought was the feel the love/merry go round single when it was released. I guess I would only buy her albums again if I ever go to Japan or sth.
The thing is... streaming is way more accessible than buying physical albums, while also being way more practical. I like buying albums from my favorite artists, but I just buy them for collecting purposes. I'll listen to them using Spotify anyways. lol
We're all fans and every one experiences the songs and their passion in different ways.
Old 15th January 2017, 09:16 PM
forgiveness Initiate

We still have books and newspapers even though they come digitally now. We still have newly produced vinyls because people still listen and buy them. So no I don't think streaming sites kills the CD industry. So people can chill, it won't happen. And even if it did I would cheer them on because if we have digital choices in this modern world let's use our evolved technique instead of producing more material things that the world can't break down naturally (see plastic as biggest blame factor). Artists and groups still get their support from fans, they still earn money, they get better promotion and their fanbase usually grows when available on streaming sites. So it's actually a win-win. Look at K-pop - being up on Spotify for years and FINALLY J-pop understands and follows the trend.

And how great isn't it that people actually choses to spend money on sites like Netflix/Spotify instead of illegally download and in no way at all support their idol. It's a great thing that movie and music industry listens to what people want and offer these kind of services that streaming is. Thank you!

And I btw, are one of those crazy collectors that have all Ayu's albums (-some remix albums), all singles e.t.c so I totally understand the emotional value. And I will always support Ayu in both physical CD's, going to concerts and using streaming services. But not everyone can or want to. Totally fine. I'm happy Avex understands that Spotify is great for them and their artists and taking this move into the future instead of fighting against it (because that's loosing).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvina View Post
I don't really need streaming services.
I did use Apple Music for a while, and while it is convenient having so much to discover and stream being on the way, my mobile internet just isn't enough to use it for a long time. And if I want to use it more, it gets quite expensive with mobile internet. And for using it at home I don't need it anyway. Besides, new material of Japanese artists always need a lot of time getting uploaded.
So I cancelled my account again and just bought a bigger card for my mobile phone. Like that I have all my favourite music with me.
You can listen to Spotify even if you're offline you know.

[Video] Key ~eternal tie ver.~_______LJ Blog________[Video] A History
[BIG SALE! Ayu CDs/DVDs/Goods/Ayupans and more!]
AHS married to Maro
~13/1-2010~

Spoiler:
We had such a nice time. We started dating in t2m PV, took it slow you know, let our love grow. Then it got really serious in 2008. Then after AT2009 we moved in together. It was lovely. Then on AT2010 he asked me to marry him. He was such a sweet. And Ayu gave us our blessings. She was also such a sweet. Now me and Maro are such a sweets together. Aaaw, how time flies.

Last edited by MissElin_; 15th January 2017 at 09:33 PM.
Old 15th January 2017, 09:28 PM
Voyage Initiate

I'm more a physical buyer myself but I am loving reading the discussion on streaming vs physical. I have actually logged into Spotify again to check out some of the Ayumi playlists. (Although I don't find them easy to find!)
Closed Thread

Tags
spotify