[Jolin Tsai] Let's PLAY with Queen Jolin in her 17th thread! - Page 10 - Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
· Ayu's Official Site · Ayu's twitter · Ayu's YouTube · masa's translations · Misa-chan's translations ·

Go Back   Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai > Music Forums > Asian Music Chat > Artists & Bands

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 1st December 2014, 02:23 PM
Greatful days Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by abestfah View Post
I love when fandom discuss about her work, so i attend evey media like facebook or blog555. Nice to know you all
I love it too to be able to discuss about her work with fans Nice to know you too!

By the way I forgot to add that my only regret is that we didn't get a "real" story. In the end the MV is mostly about dance and visuals (even it's well made).
Old 1st December 2014, 04:48 PM
Heartplace Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by abestfah View Post
it is her great MV but cannot make me Wow about it. I admit i expect Medusa more than Play because i prefer this song, finally it is just ok for me. In my opinion, it takes a lot of idea from Beast mv, obviously graphics
I agree with you. It's a nice MV but there's really no wow factor, and ironically I find it not very visually interesting despite the costumes and makeup and effects - unlike Beast, which I thought was very visually interesting and just overall more intriguing to watch despite the fact that it's just her throwing some glitter around and the whole thing is basically all the same throughout lol. I'm not sure, but it might just be the boring editing that's keeping me from liking this MV much? Because there were so many looks and shots that I liked, but the overall MV fell just dull and flat.

I tried not to be, but I'm just disappointed in this era so far.
Also, since they're releasing the MVs this slowly ANYWAY, I really wish they hadn't made them all at once, so then idk maybe they could've saved up a better budget for the later ones. Because I doubt we'll get anything as magical as Fantasy or epic as The Great Artist now (not that any of the songs from this album really lend to that anyway, lulz). Or maybe I just miss the super ~fashionista~ era that was MUSE. idkidk
Old 1st December 2014, 05:23 PM
Greatful days Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Punks View Post
I agree with you. It's a nice MV but there's really no wow factor, and ironically I find it not very visually interesting despite the costumes and makeup and effects - unlike Beast, which I thought was very visually interesting and just overall more intriguing to watch despite the fact that it's just her throwing some glitter around and the whole thing is basically all the same throughout lol. I'm not sure, but it might just be the boring editing that's keeping me from liking this MV much? Because there were so many looks and shots that I liked, but the overall MV fell just dull and flat.

I tried not to be, but I'm just disappointed in this era so far.
Also, since they're releasing the MVs this slowly ANYWAY, I really wish they hadn't made them all at once, so then idk maybe they could've saved up a better budget for the later ones. Because I doubt we'll get anything as magical as Fantasy or epic as The Great Artist now (not that any of the songs from this album really lend to that anyway, lulz). Or maybe I just miss the super ~fashionista~ era that was MUSE. idkidk
It's actually what I've been thinking lol
According to your previous posts I think you were expecting some kind of MUSE 2.0 visual-wise. I could be mistaken of course, I'm not in your head
MUSE's concept was to mix pop and art and PLAY's concept is totally different. The concept this time doesn't seem to appeal to you at all unfortunately

About the MV release, it has always been like this, they release a new MV every 2-3 weeks... I guess the wait has been a bit long for you since you don't like The Third Person And I lol
But we still have 6 MVs to go. Who knows, you might be surprised and like at least one?

I agree that Medusa MV lacks the "wow" factor as well. I watched it for the second time earlier and I felt way less excited than the first time even if it was still enjoyable. The "galaxy" parts are the ones which are the more underwhelming to me. This was Jolin's first collaboration with this director (Jennifer Wu), I hope she won't use her too often XD

Last edited by Linoa62; 1st December 2014 at 05:27 PM.
Old 1st December 2014, 05:42 PM
Heartplace Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linoa62 View Post
It's actually what I've been thinking lol
According to your previous posts I think you were expecting some kind of MUSE 2.0 visual-wise. I could be mistaken of course, I'm not in your head
MUSE's concept was to mix pop and art and PLAY's concept is totally different. The concept this time doesn't seem to appeal to you at all unfortunately
But see, it's not even the visuals that I have the most problem with! I love the PLAY MV, and I think Phony Queen is cool for what it is, and honestly some of the visuals for Medusa (the non-dance scenes) are the only thing that barely saved the MV for me. And I absolutely LOVE the iTunes cover for the album even though I'm not too fond of the other two.

The thing I really have the most problem with is the music itself. >_< I find the pop songs all really generic, I find the album's production really lacking and poor quality, and the only aspect I think she really stepped up her game for are the ballads - but I don't listen to her for ballads anyway so that's just kind of there for me lol. The songs inherently don't lend themselves much to any kind of artistic representation, even though she tried with Medusa so at least there's that. Maybe she REALLY REALLY did have a REALLY hard time finding good songs for the album, because the 2-year wait for the album doesn't feel justified considering it sounds like it was mixed and mastered by Ayu's team and the songs sound like leftovers from 2011 ouch.

Quote:
About the MV release, it has always been like this, they release a new MV every 2-3 weeks... I guess the wait has been a bit long for you since you don't like The Third Person And I lol
But we still have 6 MVs to go. Who knows, you might be surprised and like at least one?

I agree that Medusa MV lacks the "wow" factor. I watched it for the second time earlier and I felt way less excited than the first time even if it was still enjoyable. This was Jolin's first collaboration with this director (Jennifer Wu), I hope she won't use her too often XD
Well, she used to release all her MVs at once on the DVD lol, but since that was years and labels ago that's a moot point.

What I meant by "slow" MV release is that, before the album even dropped, they had already planned an MV for every song and filmed most to all of them(?). But we didn't get the MVs with the album, so producing them all at once... didn't really serve much, since we're getting them all separately months apart in the end anyway. I may be wrong, but I got the impression that with MUSE, they picked new singles and budgeted for new MVs as they went along. And the result was that most of the MVs really LOOKED stellar and super high quality. I just worry that by budgeting all 10 MVs at once, they had to sacrifice quality for some, which they might not have had to do if they'd done them one at a time. Because, imo, producing 10 MVs all at once and then not releasing them all at once defeats the purpose of producing them all at once, if you're just going to release them months apart anyway. Unless she's just planning on going on vacation for the next two years once she finishes basic album promo, but lbr she's probably not lol.
Old 1st December 2014, 05:52 PM
July 1st Initiate

The MV is visually interesting, but it's not her best MV.
I'm really expecting I love, I embrace MV, especially because of the directors, since I love their works.

Old 1st December 2014, 06:02 PM
Greatful days Initiate

Quote:
But see, it's not even the visuals that I have the most problem with! I love the PLAY MV, and I think Phony Queen is cool for what it is, and honestly some of the visuals for Medusa (the non-dance scenes) are the only thing that barely saved the MV for me. And I absolutely LOVE the iTunes cover for the album even though I'm not too fond of the other two.

The thing I really have the most problem with is the music itself. >_< I find the pop songs all really generic, I find the album's production really lacking and poor quality, and the only aspect I think she really stepped up her game for are the ballads - but I don't listen to her for ballads anyway so that's just kind of there for me lol. The songs inherently don't lend themselves much to any kind of artistic representation, even though she tried with Medusa so at least there's that. Maybe she REALLY REALLY did have a REALLY hard time finding good songs for the album, because the 2-year wait for the album doesn't feel justified considering it sounds like it was mixed and mastered by Ayu's team and the songs sound like leftovers from 2011 ouch.
Wow that was harsh XDDD
Actually some of the songs have been mastered & mixed by people who collaborated with Ayu such as Jaycen Joshua

Quote:
Well, she used to release all her MVs at once on the DVD lol, but since that was years and labels ago that's a moot point.
It was not right after the album's release though!

Quote:
What I meant by "slow" MV release is that, before the album even dropped, they had already planned an MV for every song and filmed most to all of them(?). But we didn't get the MVs with the album, so producing them all at once... didn't really serve much, since we're getting them all separately months apart in the end anyway. I may be wrong, but I got the impression that with MUSE, they picked new singles and budgeted for new MVs as they went along. And the result was that most of the MVs really LOOKED stellar and super high quality. I just worry that by budgeting all 10 MVs at once, they had to sacrifice quality for some, which they might not have had to do if they'd done them one at a time. Because, imo, producing 10 MVs all at once and then not releasing them all at once defeats the purpose of producing them all at once, if you're just going to release them months apart anyway. Unless she's just planning on going on vacation for the next two years once she finishes basic album promo, but lbr she's probably not lol.
They only filmed the 10th MV recently actually. I'm Not Yours has been filmed a couple of days before the release and it was the 8th one. They're mostly likely keeping all of them as a marketing tool for an upcoming Celebration version.

PLAY's filming plan is way different than what they used to do, you're totally right. Usually they used to film 5 MVs or so and they planned for more if the album was selling well.
Concerning MUSE we kinda got additional MVs by accident though. We were supposed to get MVs for Color Photos and Friday the 13th, but Warner refused to pay after the director said that they would cost more than expected. So Warner decided to shoot MVs for Beast and I instead. We got an MV for Color Photos but it has only been released on KTV, and they did a live MV for Friday the 13th in the end.
Jolin has been asked about the budget thing actually and just said that we should not worry and that every dollar spent was worth it... Medusa was the 7th MV to be filmed by the way.

Quote:
Unless she's just planning on going on vacation for the next two years once she finishes basic album promo, but lbr she's probably not lol.
She has lots of promotion this time. She's really fighting to stay relevant... She had a live on Chinese TV recently to promote the album, the last time she did it was for Myself. PLAY has more signings than MUSE in Taiwan as well, Jolin has a lot of radio appearances... And I just read that she might have a signing session in HK in 2 weeks.
Right now they're releasing a new MV every 2 weeks, but near the end of album promotion they will release them faster I think.
Well, PLAY World Tour will most likely start after the end of promotional activities for the album so I doubt she'll go on vacation indeed XDD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavenly View Post
The MV is visually interesting, but it's not her best MV.
I'm really expecting I love, I embrace MV, especially because of the directors, since I love their works.
Which MVs did they film? I think I read they did one for Beyoncé or something?

Last edited by Linoa62; 1st December 2014 at 06:08 PM.
Old 1st December 2014, 06:09 PM
Heartplace Initiate

Quote:
It was not right after the album's release though!

They only filmed the 10th MV recently actually. I'm Not Yours has been filmed a couple of days before the release and it was the 8th one. They're mostly likely keeping all of them as a marketing tool for an upcoming Celebration version.

PLAY's filming plan is way different than what they used to do, you're totally right. Usually they used to film 5 MVs or so and they planned for more if the album was selling well.
Jolin has been asked about the budget thing actually and just said that we should not worry and that every dollar spent was worth it... Medusa was the 7th MV to be filmed by the way.
...YOU'RE RIGHT LOOOL. They are releasing them every few weeks. I don't know why I thought they were months apart????? My memory is slipping lol.

And... you're right about the DVDs. idk why I have everything misremembered today! Probably because I never paid much attention to her actual release schedule back in the mid-2000s.

So I guess my complaints about the MV release schedule and budget were not justified.
Old 1st December 2014, 06:26 PM
November Initiate

The MV is nice. Nothing too special as some of you already pointed out. The outfits and choreography were cool though.

And of course the Pepsi product placement xD

| Set by me |

I love Stargate SG-1 even more now! Cuz in episode 9x12 there was a person called
Dr. Amuro

Old 1st December 2014, 08:38 PM
Greatful days Initiate

A video I just saw on YouTube: Jolin "Just Dance", 15 years of evolution.
Old 1st December 2014, 08:45 PM
theme of a-nation '03 H-Initiate

Medusa's MV was really lacking in the editing. It made everything feel so dragged out.

Kinda sad cause this song could have had a cool MV~
And that Medusa hair doesn't really work in motion. It looked like she was just moving around with a beehive
Old 1st December 2014, 09:00 PM
Heartplace Initiate

Quote:
A video I just saw on YouTube: Jolin "Just Dance", 15 years of evolution.
This makes me want to dig out the Born To Be A Star DVD lol. You Gotta Know is my favorite pre-Magic song.

...and one of only like 5 I actually like lol
Old 1st December 2014, 11:09 PM
July 1st Initiate

Quote:
Which MVs did they film? I think I read they did one for Beyoncé or something?
I don't know if Thomas Wyatt and Edwin Eversole made an MV for Beyoncé, but I watched some videos from them :

A trailer for THE COLONY, a movie they made (or plan to make, I don't know) :
http://vimeo.com/44486673

And TWENTYTWENTY, a short film :
http://vimeo.com/102983342

The vimeo channel of Edwin Eversole :
http://vimeo.com/user3951229/videos

I really like the atmosphere, and if the Jolin's MV could visually resemble that, I would be happy.

Old 1st December 2014, 11:37 PM
Greatful days Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavenly View Post
I don't know if Thomas Wyatt and Edwin Eversole made an MV for Beyoncé, but I watched some videos from them :

A trailer for THE COLONY, a movie they made (or plan to make, I don't know) :
http://vimeo.com/44486673

And TWENTYTWENTY, a short film :
http://vimeo.com/102983342

The vimeo channel of Edwin Eversole :
http://vimeo.com/user3951229/videos

I really like the atmosphere, and if the Jolin's MV could visually resemble that, I would be happy.
Oops my bad it's Scott Beardslee who directed Beyoncé's 1+1 not these two lol

Thank you for the links I'll check them out!
Old 2nd December 2014, 12:49 AM
End of the World Initiate

I'm surprised by the mixed reactions towards Medusa. I loved it. I prefer campy Jolin a la Phony Queen, PLAY, or Dr. Jolin, but I love this Jolin, too. She's flawless.

久しぶり〜

Old 2nd December 2014, 08:58 AM
Greatful days Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becky View Post
I'm surprised by the mixed reactions towards Medusa. I loved it. I prefer campy Jolin a la Phony Queen, PLAY, or Dr. Jolin, but I love this Jolin, too. She's flawless.
The mixed reactions here are mostly about the director (or the choreographer), not about Jolin herself

For those waiting for I'm Not Yours MV, they will most likely release an MV for a slow song in two weeks or so (Lip Reading, I Love, I Embrace or even We're All Different, Yet The Same), and two weeks after that we'll most likely get I'm Not Yours. It fits the fact that Jolin announced the MV for January.

On another note, on almost every survey, Asian fans choose Medusa, The Third Person And I, PLAY and I'm Not Yours as their favorite songs from the album. Gentlewomen and Phony Queen are most of the time at the bottom.
Old 2nd December 2014, 01:43 PM
from your letter Initiate

Quote:
The mixed reactions here are mostly about the director (or the choreographer), not about Jolin herself

For those waiting for I'm Not Yours MV, they will most likely release an MV for a slow song in two weeks or so (Lip Reading, I Love, I Embrace or even We're All Different, Yet The Same), and two weeks after that we'll most likely get I'm Not Yours. It fits the fact that Jolin announced the MV for January.

On another note, on almost every survey, Asian fans choose Medusa, The Third Person And I, PLAY and I'm Not Yours as their favorite songs from the album. Gentlewomen and Phony Queen are most of the time at the bottom.
oppositely, Gentlewomen is my favorite oneถถถ
Old 2nd December 2014, 03:26 PM
CAROLS Initiate

Phony Queen is my least fav...
Old 2nd December 2014, 09:36 PM
Curtain call Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becky View Post
I'm surprised by the mixed reactions towards Medusa. I loved it.
me too, I think the one that lacks alot is phony queen, I don't like the mv or the song at all.

Medusa was perfect aside from play, they both are on my top list.
Old 4th December 2014, 05:05 PM
Crazy 4 U H-Initiate

Medusa is probably my favourite song from the album.
But surprisingly, I really, really like Phony Queen!
I normally don't like those kind of songs that much, but this one is an exception.

「変わらないなら 変えるしかない」

Old 5th December 2014, 12:34 AM
Curtain call Initiate

I'm dying for a Medusa translation!
Closed Thread