[Miliyah Kato] invites you to embrace LIBERTY in thread #7 - Page 9 - Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
· Ayu's Official Site · Ayu's twitter · Ayu's YouTube · masa's translations · Misa-chan's translations ·

Go Back   Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai > Music Forums > Asian Music Chat > Artists & Bands

Notices

Old 9th March 2017, 02:20 PM
Daybreak Guardian

I love the album's title and the covers! Miliyah has one of the best aesthetics.
Old 10th March 2017, 08:33 AM
still alone Initiate

On further research, the deluxe box thing is just the same thing we got with LIBERTY limited ed. So nothing as exciting as I thought it would be, lol. But I do want that photobook.

Also, the covers are nice, but her face looks a bit weird on the cover. Also the gray stripe and the text kind of look cheap. But the more I look at it, the more it looks better if that makes sense.
Old 10th March 2017, 03:21 PM
my name's WOMEN Initiate

^It looks a lot like MUSE Cover-shot...and i agree, the angle does not do her face a favour
Old 11th March 2017, 06:24 AM
SURREAL H-Initiate

I feel like that gray stripe might be metallic?

But either way I love the cover. I think I'll appreciate the songs as an album more than singles.

"Remember, don't let others dictate your music taste. If you like whatever you're listening to, keep listening to it."

Old 11th March 2017, 09:12 PM
Memorial address (take 2 version) Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkingoutloud89 View Post
...and i agree, the angle does not do her face a favour
At least it's not as bad as the embarrassment that is M BEST. Nothing will ever beat that in terms of tragic photo angles.
Old 20th March 2017, 03:42 PM
Crazy 4 U H-Initiate

Preview of Tabibito, album song #2, available here:
http://www.sonymusic.co.jp/artist/Mi...aphy/SRCL-9359

「変わらないなら 変えるしかない」

Old 20th March 2017, 06:06 PM
appears Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvina View Post
Preview of Tabibito, album song #2, available here:
http://www.sonymusic.co.jp/artist/Mi...aphy/SRCL-9359
Based on the singles and this preview, I have a feeling this won't live up to LIBERTY. It'll be a decent album a-la LOVELAND and TRUE LOVERS, but I don't think it will have the same OH MY GAAAAWWWD impact as LIBERTY.

But whatever. There will be more than a handful of songs worth keeping. Miliyah is a long way off from being forgettable.

-> <-
Old 21st March 2017, 07:51 AM
ayu-mi-x Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by chocopockymaster View Post
At least it's not as bad as the embarrassment that is M BEST. Nothing will ever beat that in terms of tragic photo angles.
What is wrong with M BEST cover? I love the black&white photo that was used for Limited Version of album.
Old 21st March 2017, 02:17 PM
my name's WOMEN Initiate

^I asked myself the same and looked it up, since I love the photoshoot - I also own the Limited, but if you look at the regular, the angle really looks urgh.
Old 21st March 2017, 03:48 PM
still alone Initiate

Oh yeah, the regular cover of M BEST really is not good looking at all. For a second I wondered the same - what's wrong with M BEST's cover? But I forgot all about the CD only cover.

@orbitalaspect

I agree with you here. Unless all the other songs are incredibly good (as most of LIBERTY was), I don't think this album will be nearly as good as LIBERTY.
Old 22nd March 2017, 06:23 PM
poker face Initiate

I just found this thread tonight and LITERALLY read everything everyone said. You guys have all made me so happy hearing such beyond positive feedback. LIBERTY is my 2nd favourite album of all time and I feel it's so underrated.

I accidentally dyed my hair pink last year long story. But I look back and love the fact I had Pink hair during the LIBERTY era. Even though I was pissed! (Warning large image)
Spoiler:

Also thought I'd share my play count of the album considering my music players play count reset all songs to 0. So this is all recent and I've already listened to through most of the album so many times. Still beyond hurt that she didn't perform Memories and Babylon live. Sometimes I feel Babylon is my favourite song of all time. They're 2 of the darkest songs on the album maybe that's why.
Spoiler:

Since people are concerned about the promotion I thought I'd share the promotion of the album I've seen. I feel the album got a decent amount of promotion. But seriously times are getting tough for solo artists. I feel a huge part of why Utada's recent album was so successful is 1 because she's Utada and the INTENSE promotion she did for Fantôme. I don't think I've
ever seen an album more promoted in my life.
Spoiler:

Also given the incredible tour with the great turn up I feel that would have promoted the album a lot. I'd love to see more recent sale figures. If that didn't make people want to buy the album I don't know what will. That's hands down my favourite concert of all time. It was so impressive in comparison to her previous concerts too. Everything was just amplified in the most beautiful way. Especially the sets.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnFu0Zvv1tQ

I also love the "Dear Lonely Girl" re working they did for the tour. It sounds like it could fit right in with LIBERTY. The love the scenery too. It's like stepping into a new world. It reminds me of one of the stage areas in the video game "Bust-A-Move". Ironically Avex licensed the music for that game.

Anyways as celebrating the album that changed my life and I quote Miliyah from her DRAMATIC LIBERTY tour intro when I say "Justice For LIBERTY", even though the album is her lowest selling lets go over the things that did give the album the justice it deserved.

Through her brand MIRROR she made genuine silver jewellery in theme of the album. Dear "FUTURE LOVER" if I get proposed too it better be with the LIBERTY RING. Then I'll know he'll be "The One". God I'm full one puns.

http://store.mirror-kj.com/newslist...._category_id=1

2. Surprisingly high budget tour

I watch SO many concerts. And I seem to be drawn to artists who make really high budget music videos and tours. I never thought anyone could top Mylène Farmer's crazy tours. Seriously check out her concert intros they're insane. But anyways Miliyah didn't reach Mylène Farmer's level of insanity with her concert intro. But the intro video was sublime. And the stage, effects, choreography, costumes, props
oh and on top of all of that she sounded amazing live. everything just everything is beyond perfect. My only problem is that she didn't perform Memories & BABYLON.
Spoiler:

3. LIBERTY is Miliyah's only album to get a live album!

From my knowledge and correct me if I'm wrong, none of Miliyah's tours have never put produced into CD format. Just DVD/Blu-Ray. But for the first time in her career this tour was released as a CD. Which I feel is really cool. And shows how much of a stand out tour this album had. It was released along side the limited edition of the DVD/Blu-Ray. And I'm pretty sure it was released on iTunes as well. Anyways maybe it's just me but I feel that's justice for LIBERTY!

4. Very very very positive feedback from fans

I've read so many reviews, so many forums on this album and I'd say 97% have such positive feedback on the album. The only negative things are usually about how long the album is. Which is fair enough because it is a 17 track album. But I feel no one has regretted really giving this album a chance and enduring it's length. The common positive things are how Miliyah is constantly evolving and taking a more alternative experiment pop route. Which people really applaud. And SO many people say the album is much better then it's predecessor LOVELAND. Which is another album in my top 5 albums. And even though a lot of people don't love that album as much as I do. It's a big compliment for me personally when someone says they love something more then LOVELAND ha. I'm happy LIBERTY stands out in Miliyah's discography.

5. It did make it to #1 on Itunes!

Seriously, that doesn't just happen out of thin air.

I do feel the downfall for LIBERTY was the singles. There's so many better choices that could be made.

P.s anyone who bothered to read all of my word vomit I love you. I'm just super passionate about this album, and it's gotten me through a lot. I truly feel it's a masterpiece. And seriously I listen to SOOO much music so that says a lot.

I just needed to have this rant because UTOPIA is coming so soon which I'm so excited for, but I'm struggling to let go of LIBERTY. Because UTOPIA is heading in such a different direction which I so applaud because Miliyah always keeps things fresh she's always changing in a positive way. But so far I'm not feeling any of the 6 tracks already released. 8 tracks left to potentially blow my mind though!

Also I feel a lot of people really didn't love Miliyah's styling in the LIBERTY era. That photo shoot of hers for the album cover is literally my favourite photo shoot of all time. I feel she is literally the most attractive woman ever there. Would go straight for her 10/10 ha. I'm known for loving kitsch style though. I even bought a cowboy hat recently because I'm so inspired by her look there.

P.S II (see what I did there ha) If UTOPIA's terrible you'll know where to find me screaming on the beach in my cowboy hat. Sayonara x

Also if anyone ever comes across the digital's from this photo shoot and can send me them I'll be eternally grateful. I'm so happy to have the scans but I want high resolution so I can print them onto things.

Just saying my favourite album of all time is No Doubt's "Return Of Saturn". Gwen promoted that album with pink hair, seriously i'm seeing a pattern. I didn't even think I liked pink hair
Old 22nd March 2017, 06:55 PM
my name's WOMEN Initiate

^love your post lol

so, is she going to be a Tower records or so during the release of Utopia? i'll be in Japan then
Old 22nd March 2017, 07:51 PM
Daybreak Guardian

That's a lot of interesting information, Warren, thank you for posting!
Oh, and I know you're pissed about it but I like your pink hair!
Old 22nd March 2017, 08:28 PM
still alone Initiate

Wow, Warren. I loved your post because I think LIBERTY is one of the greatest albums released, and not just a Jpop album. I remember being blown away by it just hearing it the first time. I can't say that there's a single song I don't like on it. Also, people complained it's long, but it's actually shorter than TRUE LOVERS, and only 6 minutes longer than LOVELAND. Actually, HEAVEN is 3 minutes longer than LIBERTY, yet everyone has no problem with the length of that album! People see 17 tracks and automatically think the album has to be long - but they don't consider the lengths of the actual tracks.

I'm not sure if Miliyah can even top herself with any future albums, because LIBERTY was breathtaking and unexpectedly mind blowing.

All of her albums are special in their own way. I don't think she has ever released a bad album. Which is why I'm hoping Utopia won't be any less. Who knows, maybe the singles didn't work on their own but will on the album?

Oh, and also:

"Sometimes I feel Babylon is my favourite song of all time."

Same here! I was surprised to not see people mentioning it when the album was released.
Old 22nd March 2017, 08:37 PM
SEASONS Initiate

I'm also one of the ones who thinks Liberty is not only her best album but also one of the greatest albums I've ever heard, jpop or not. It is just awesome, I even wasn't a miliyah's music fan before it, but that album is just wow
Old 22nd March 2017, 11:25 PM

mmmm y'all have inspired me to listen to LIBERTY on my long drive home tonight
Old 23rd March 2017, 06:32 AM
poker face Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkingoutloud89 View Post
^love your post lol

so, is she going to be a Tower records or so during the release of Utopia? i'll be in Japan then
Thank you!! and seriously so many of you are going to Japan I'm so jealous. One day

Quote:
Originally Posted by oaristos View Post
That's a lot of interesting information, Warren, thank you for posting!
Oh, and I know you're pissed about it but I like your pink hair!
Thank you! and I'm glad it's gone haha but I'm glad you liked it! I love my hair silver! You'd think I'd love it more considering my 2 favourite albums were advertised with pink hair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiharo View Post
Wow, Warren. I loved your post because I think LIBERTY is one of the greatest albums released, and not just a Jpop album. I remember being blown away by it just hearing it the first time.

I'm not sure if Miliyah can even top herself with any future albums, because LIBERTY was breathtaking and unexpectedly mind blowing.
I feel the same. Ironically I didn't love it first listen. That's why I have a rule where I have to listen to an album 3 times through without skipping before I judge it.

When I say one of the greatest albums ever I'm not just referring to J-Pop too. This album will be hard to top. But I have a feeling UTOPIA will have something special to offer. Miliyah is always coming up with something surprising in my opinion. All her albums has surprised me in a positive way so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toniayu123 View Post
I'm also one of the ones who thinks Liberty is not only her best album but also one of the greatest albums I've ever heard, jpop or not. It is just awesome, I even wasn't a miliyah's music fan before it, but that album is just wow
This makes me so happy, that she brought you in as a fan because of this album. It really shows how powerful this album is!

P.S I was reading that you read Miliyah's book "UGLY" I know you didn't love it but did you manage to find it in English or can you read Japanese? I really I want to read all her books! Hopefully I'll find them in English. Or it's back to Japanese lessons

Quote:
Originally Posted by chocopockymaster View Post
mmmm y'all have inspired me to listen to LIBERTY on my long drive home tonight
YES! You won't regret it. Seriously there's something for everyone on that album in my opinion. It's got such a diverse mix of genre's and styles. It ranges from Pop to Rock, Country (IMO うたかたの日々 is somewhat country), Soul, Funk, R&B & Electronica. Seriously this album is incredible by how diverse it is.

I love that she gave us some really upbeat typical pop songs that aren't generic. Then some really moving heartfelt songs. Then some experimental masterpieces.

Gotta say I applaud the consistency in the album as well considering it's such a diverse mix. Most of the songs fit so well in with each other.
Old 23rd March 2017, 11:08 AM
appears Initiate

My only complaint @Warren is that you have clearly underplayed H.I.K.A.R.I. How can you honestly have racked up only one play of that track? Pop your earbuds in, max out the volume, and take in how fucking uplifting that song is!

I think Utopia will be a decent album, but I'm not as excited for it as I was for LIBERTY. I think, overall, I feel more let down by all of the releases I've heard this year. Koda's albums were just forgettable. lecca's album was an improvement, but really only had a couple songs on it that were worth mentioning. It just wasn't as exciting as her previous albums. MIKA's new album feels more like a BEST collection. And I'm still pissed she didn't put at least ONE reggae track on TOUGH. The only releases I can reliably call exciting in the last several months have been Fantome and REOL's Sigma album.

I hope Utopia is better than just above mediocre for a Kato record. Because I know Ayumi isn't going to blow me away this year. And, frankly, unless Ai Otsuka's packaged an incredible album, we're really not going to have anything beside Utopia and LOVE HONEY to call great this year.

-> <-
Old 23rd March 2017, 12:00 PM
poker face Initiate

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by orbitalaspect View Post
My only complaint @Warren is that you have clearly underplayed H.I.K.A.R.I. How can you honestly have racked up only one play of that track? Pop your earbuds in, max out the volume, and take in how fucking uplifting that song is!
I said my music player recently reset everything to 0 about a month ago! I have listened to H.I.K.A.R.I many times. Just not recently. I do watch the live performance sometimes. It's just not dark enough for me, the title is translated to light
Old 23rd March 2017, 12:12 PM

I was jamming out all the way home last night...when the album first came out last year i had just started doing my wicked long commute (2+ hours in the car) and used to play the shit out of it.

The only thing keeping LIBERTY from being practically perfect in every way is Piece of Cake. That "song" makes my ears bleed.