Ayu and Religion - Page 4 - Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
· Ayu's Official Site · Ayu's twitter · Ayu's YouTube · masa's translations · Misa-chan's translations ·

Go Back   Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai > Ayumi Hamasaki Forums > Enquiries

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 22nd June 2005, 07:46 AM
walking proud Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delirium-Zer0
[color=deeppink]Phantoma expressed hope in the "fairyland" thread that ayu isn't a pagan.
Yeah, I was a bit taken aback by that comment as well. A song is titled "FAIRYLAND" and immediately someone jumps to Paganism. Of course my mind immediately jumped to: "Wow, Ayu's been getting drunk in gay bars more often than we thought! " But that's a different topic.

If Phantoma is reading this thread, why does that title make you think of Paganism? And even IF Ayu were a pagan, does that change your opinion of her music? Or really, this question is to everyone - no matter what religion Ayu is, would it change your opinion of her songs and songwriting? To me, it would have zilch effect, so why does it even matter?

Also for those that were saying they like everything Japanese no matter what it is, just because it's Japanese - I hope your kidding.
Old 22nd June 2005, 08:22 AM
As if.. Initiate

I want to quote too many people, but it gets too laborious, so I'll paraphrase.

Japanese teens wearing crosses is like Ameican Teens wearing ankhs. jewlery is jewlery, you see crosses all over the place in japan. it means nothing, especialy not the bling bling crosses they wear.

I cant speak for all buddists, but I know japanese ones pretty well. buddhism in japan isn't a religion. It is a culture defined by a strong respect for their elders. western society came to japan, and saw them doing things that looked like praying in places that looked like churches to things that looked like Idol gods. so we gave it the label of religion, but it realy isn't and I'm suprised that association hasn't been corrected yet. I know plenty of christians in Japan who still participate in all of their buddhist culture without any problem. I bet Ayumi isn't christian, she may or may not participate in buddhist culture, but she's probably like the rest of japan: Agnostic.

what was the statistic shared earlier on? 78% buddhist 40% shinto 1% catholic? If you look at "japanese religion" for what it really is, 99% of Japan doesn't have a "religion".

"Like I always said, theres nothing a good agnostic cant do if he doesn't really know if he believes in anything or not" - Monty Python
Old 22nd June 2005, 08:36 AM
y2687

I follow ways of Buddhism, but I don't consider it a religion. I wear an ankh around my neck everyday It just looks nice. I've always figured that Ayu probably isn't in one religion. I dunno, maybe she prays and stuff, but doesn't exactly live life by the book. Much like Eevee.
Old 22nd June 2005, 06:11 PM
PAPER DOLL Initiate

I thought she was for sure a Buddhist.. but that's just what I heard. ^^;
Old 23rd June 2005, 06:39 AM
Replace Initiate

Bakuhatsu, that post was very intelligent and you made some good points. I think some people (like myself) are aware that Buddhism isn't really a religion strictly speaking, it's just easy to call it that since that's what most westerners consider it (and ANY belief system, religious or not). Just easy vocab to use I suppose. And I'm glad you made the ankh comment, I think that puts the cross' fashionable standing into perspective.
Old 16th September 2005, 01:20 AM
RED LINE ~for TA~ Initiate

Ayu's Religion

I was wondering because in the Forgiveness lyrics thread...the cardinal sins were mentioned...is she catholic or just a christian...in Japan...when people are Christian, are they mostly Catholic, or is it like in America where there are many denominations of Christians?

☆ bunnnniiiieeeesssss ☆

- The "New Artists You're Trying Out" Thread -

don't forget to spread the kuu

Old 16th September 2005, 08:18 AM
HONEY Protector

Location: Oxford, UK (originally from Vancouver Island, Canada)
Chrstianity isnt popular at all in Japan, as you'll see in the above threads, buddhism and shinto are by far the most common.

Check out my shop with handmade book jewellery!
Shop: www.coryographies.etsy.com --- Blog: www.coryographies.blogspot.com
Other blog: www.palaeolinguist.blogspot.com --- Other forum: www.linguistforum.com

Old 16th September 2005, 08:47 AM
Banned

yep, most Japanese people arent that much into religion.. When I went to Japan, my foster parents there said that Japanese people just celebrate New Year and Christmas, but they're not Christians. They said it was easier that way! Thats so cool..
Old 16th September 2005, 12:04 PM
ayu-ro mix 2 Initiate

agreeing with bakuhatsu..... Japan=multicultural SUCKING country ^^ it sucks up everything that looks interesting when it comes to ayu I donīt think she have anything/anyone she believes in, just a feeling ^^

Born By The Sword, Die By The Sword
The Fear For Blood Tends To Create Fear For The Flesh

~Yours Sincerely MortalSex
Old 16th September 2005, 04:17 PM
ayu-ro mix 2 Initiate

She was wearing a shirt one time that said 'Jesus died for you'

I thought that weird if she wasn't religious... If so I would say Catholic because I hear that alot of Japanese are Catholic if they aren't buddhist...

'course she did wear a hat that said mother********* on it @_____________@ Someone needs to fire her translator!!!!!!

..::|Do no evil|::..

Old 16th September 2005, 11:06 PM
Wishing Guardian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yarumi
She was wearing a shirt one time that said 'Jesus died for you'

I thought that weird if she wasn't religious... If so I would say Catholic because I hear that alot of Japanese are Catholic if they aren't buddhist...

'course she did wear a hat that said mother********* on it @_____________@ Someone needs to fire her translator!!!!!!
She also wears clothing with cannabis leaf designs. Does that mean she smokes marijuana?
Old 17th September 2005, 09:25 AM
ourselves Initiate

Japanese doesen't seem to take symbols and stuff as "seriously" as westerns.. Luckily. If it's pretty or cool, it's good.
Old 17th September 2005, 03:03 PM
Wishing Guardian

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Petit*
Japanese doesen't seem to take symbols and stuff as "seriously" as westerns.. Luckily. If it's pretty or cool, it's good.
I have that impression too, from anime particularly. It seems like in Japan Christian/Catholic iconography is just seen as another cool set of symbols, not something sacred and off use for entertainment purposes.
Old 17th September 2005, 03:07 PM
Banned

^ their attitude is vital for a happy life look at us, the none Japanese.. We take everything seriously, some of us get bashed up by parents if we dont..

Last edited by Mad_Cactuar; 17th September 2005 at 03:11 PM.
Old 19th September 2005, 04:18 PM
Depend on you Initiate

Like her idol, Madonna. Not many people, even the press. know about her religion. So, they are constantly questioning her religion.
Old 20th September 2005, 04:46 AM
HONEY Protector

Location: Oxford, UK (originally from Vancouver Island, Canada)
I thought Madonna's religon was highly publicized, her Kaballah thing.

Check out my shop with handmade book jewellery!
Shop: www.coryographies.etsy.com --- Blog: www.coryographies.blogspot.com
Other blog: www.palaeolinguist.blogspot.com --- Other forum: www.linguistforum.com

Old 20th September 2005, 05:06 AM
RED LINE ~for TA~ Initiate

her kaballah thing is highly publicized...along with half of the other celebrities she pulled into it....Britney Spears, Ashton Kutcher...etc.

☆ bunnnniiiieeeesssss ☆

- The "New Artists You're Trying Out" Thread -

don't forget to spread the kuu

Old 20th September 2005, 06:06 AM
Ayumi no Yume

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuki
I dunno. Don't Christains wear crosses too? Those 2 religions have always confused me because they are so similar to each other. There was a picture of Ayu that I posted and her nails had diamonds in the shape of a cross on them. If I'm not wrong, she had a black hood on?
XD! yeah, christians wear crosses too..I mean, i'm SUPPOSE to be a christian, and i get catholic and christianity mixed up..
Anyway, it seems like ayu is kinda like a christian-catholic something..i never though really...exept with "M" a little...but "MARIA" is different than "Mary"
and actually, Bakuhatsu's post made a LOT of sence
Old 20th September 2005, 06:23 AM
Voyage Initiate

I think 1% of Japan is catholic or something. o_o I don't know the statistics. D:

This is just from what I read ages ago in a similar thread and I'll just say it again. xD
Wearing crosses and western symbols are very popular in Japan, it's a fashion thing. As you know, many Japanese are interested in western culture. It's like how Western people buy Buddhas and wear Ying Yang without knowing what they really mean. o_o So Ayu is just interested in western culture (which explains "M" with the western wedding and church in the PV), and she's just following trends too I guess. XD

☆★ ayudynasty | a.k.a. zanmato ★☆

Old 20th September 2005, 01:46 PM
ayu-ro mix 2 Initiate

Yeah, that's because Madonna is publisizing her religion : /

The question is, you guys wouldn't hate Ayu if she were a certain religion anyways right? She doesn't bash any of them... so she's cool in my book

lol, Everyone wears a marijuana leaf shirts! Although it's a littler weirder for people to be wearing 'Jesus' shirts if they don't beleive in him... But it could be possible... and I wasn't saying she is religious in any way! I was just pointing out an oberservation...

Does anyone remember why she wore that 'dirty langugae' hat @____@ It mortified me! Poor AYU!

..::|Do no evil|::..

Closed Thread