[Utada Hikaru] ☆ Goodbye Happiness in Utada Hikaru's 45th Thread ☆ - Page 9 - Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
· Ayu's Official Site · Ayu's twitter · Ayu's YouTube · masa's translations · Misa-chan's translations ·

Go Back   Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai > Music Forums > Asian Music Chat > Artists & Bands

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 11th August 2011, 04:18 PM
RAINBOW Guardian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeke. View Post
Are you kidding me? The general consensus is that people are liking TITO more than EXODUS!? That has to be a joke!
Both albums are really different, it comes down to what genre of music you like best I'm not surprised really, since TITO is more mainstream-pop that Exodus.

Saying that, I prefer Exodus. But TITO for me is still a good, solid pop album; I just think it's the one album however, that is the most out of Utada's comfort zone in terms of what she usually does in her music.
Old 11th August 2011, 04:23 PM
HAPPY ENDING Initiate

Quote:
Are you kidding me? The general consensus is that people are liking TITO more than EXODUS!? That has to be a joke!
Different people are alouded to have different tastes... Simple as that^^

Quote:
Originally Posted by NintendoHTF1242 View Post
You're all discussing such a stupid topic and I suggest we talk about something else.

So, FINAL DISTANCE PV, best PV ever? Yep.
Nah, Keep Tryin' for me or Dareka no negai wa kanau koro... or COLORS xD

http://stan-wars.com/1989.html

I live around AHS (Ayumi Haters Sekai)

Old 11th August 2011, 06:30 PM
glitter Initiate

I love the Keep Tryin' PV, probably my favorite of hers.

There's never a day that I have to remember you because I never for a moment forgot you.
My LJ x Hitomi Shimatani @ LJ x Yuna Ito @ LJ x ayaka @ LJ x misono @ LJ
Old 11th August 2011, 07:35 PM
rainy day Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrenekoi View Post
Different people are alouded to have different tastes... Simple as that^^
I know but I thought the general consensus was that TITO was garbage, lol. I don't remember reading that anyone was happy with it once the initial release wore off. But I always recall compliments on "Animato" "Kremlin Dusk" "Devil Inside" "EXODUS" and "YMMWTBAM" at least.
Old 11th August 2011, 07:56 PM
Liar Initiate

My personal opinion is that Exodus is an embarrassing blemish on her career; TiTO was a lazily pushed, boring flop. The general consensus is that neither is significantly better than the other. Although on AHS (lmao) TiTO seemed to have recieved a meh response:

http://www.ahsforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=87434

I think it got less haters compared to Exodus though:

http://www.ahsforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32857

Last edited by Polyrhythm; 11th August 2011 at 07:59 PM.
Old 11th August 2011, 08:15 PM
RED LINE ~for TA~ Initiate

I like both albums, but I think they both sound very odd and unprofessional.

Like they were some random debut's albums that were made with crap equipment.

And that's kinda what bothers me most. I can live with the crazy lyrics, cause I like that...but the sound...bugs me a lot actually.

I think those good songs on Exodus kinda make it the better album though.

☆ bunnnniiiieeeesssss ☆

- The "New Artists You're Trying Out" Thread -

don't forget to spread the kuu

Old 11th August 2011, 08:39 PM
HAPPY ENDING Initiate

IMO Exodus is amazing... Everything she did after this album have a huge influence from it, and even if the tracks sound very unpolished, IMO it's her at her wilder as a musician...

TITO is Utada doing mainstream western pop, what's also an interesting mix... She tried to foresee some pop trends, got it right with some, got it wrong with another ones... It's also amazing imo... It lacks Exodus boldness, but is is cohesive, coherent and shows how "pop" she can be...

I really like both

Old 11th August 2011, 08:46 PM
Initiate

This week i have been listening to Hikki like crazy...and I realised how much I miss her. Do we have any chance to see her back in 2012? And I would like to post my Hikki TOP 10:
1.Passion
2.Stay Gold
3.Goodbye Happiness
4.Take 5
5.BLUE
6.Final Distance
7.Keep Tryin'
8.Deep River
9.Prisoner of Love
10.Can you keep a secret?
Old 11th August 2011, 09:00 PM
And Then Initiate

Quote:
I know but I thought the general consensus was that TITO was garbage, lol. I don't remember reading that anyone was happy with it once the initial release wore off. But I always recall compliments on "Animato" "Kremlin Dusk" "Devil Inside" "EXODUS" and "YMMWTBAM" at least.
Really? lol I actually heard the exact opposite, so that's hilarious. I guess it just depends. From what I gathered around Utadanet and UBlog, people actually thought Exodus was terrible and TITO was a nice return to her R&B roots.

Also can I say that I love when I come to the artists&band page and Utada is actually on the first page?

I am forever a proud BlackJack.

Old 11th August 2011, 09:10 PM
ever free Initiate

Quote:
My same sentiments. I honestly thought that TITO received more negative feedback than EXODUS as well. Why? Because I've never heard and seen so much harsh criticism towards that album than any other album in her discography, EXODUS included. Point blank. Period.

Last edited by Lady~Deviance; 11th August 2011 at 09:13 PM.
Old 11th August 2011, 09:23 PM
RAINBOW Guardian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavenly Zerase View Post
Do we have any chance to see her back in 2012?
No sign of anything for 2012, so can't say.

About this TITO vs. Exodus thing, we all know everyone has different opinions (Well, I'd hope to think we all do ) so I'm guessing different forums had different people saying what they liked. Maybe more people in one place liked Exodus better, and some other places vice versa...let's not make it into "three people agreed with me here so I'm right" thing lol

Personally I think TITO was a really brave album for Utada. Exodus was brave in the way they knew that kind of music wasn't popular in the US..but TITO was brave because Utada had never been popular with those kind of songs.
Old 11th August 2011, 10:01 PM
HAPPY ENDING Initiate

About her come back... more than once she came from nowhere, without any previous annouce and released music...

Old 11th August 2011, 10:16 PM
And Then Initiate

^True, I have a feeling she'll wake up one morning and be like "I'm in a creative mood" and we'll have new music

Old 11th August 2011, 10:16 PM
rainy day Initiate

Well I will say there were some more terrible and boring songs on Exodus but the better tracks totally outshine anything on TITO. I know Kremlin Dusk is a huge fan-favorite and Animato is superb as well. They are very Hikki-ish to me. I never here people raving about individual songs from TITO like I do Exodus.
Old 12th August 2011, 01:56 AM
RED LINE ~for TA~ Initiate

The one thing I do like about Exodus, and those really great tracks, is that they're like AMAZING live.

They always steal the show....or are among the top performances.

I still think that both Exodus and tito sound...unpro or unpolished, or something...but it's kinda hard for me to explain what I mean by that...so meh lol

☆ bunnnniiiieeeesssss ☆

- The "New Artists You're Trying Out" Thread -

don't forget to spread the kuu

Old 12th August 2011, 06:18 AM
Daybreak Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyrhythm View Post
My personal opinion is that Exodus is an embarrassing blemish on her career; TiTO was a lazily pushed, boring flop.
Harsh. Your comment on Exodus is a huge insult to her, Exodus is her being herself, in her own words 'feeling like a mad scientist experimenting with music' (or something to that extent).

I think Exodus is a masterpiece, one of the best pop albums I've ever heard. TiTO did feel a bit lazy, I don't think it was that boring but I can kind of see where you're coming from with your comment on it.
Old 12th August 2011, 07:32 AM
And Then Initiate

Honestly, I loved both albums. I guess in that sense, I don't agree with either consensus on either album, lol. (Those being that of the one I heard and the one Zeke heard). Like I've said in the past, Utada has to try REALLY hard to make a song I don't like. Her musical style is just my type, but even more so it's her vocals that keep me listening. She could put her vocals into a heavy metal song and I would probably end up liking it, lol.

In fact, the only songs of hers that I haven't liked 'as much' has been her bubble-gum pop songs, and that's just because I don't like that genre of music across the board (for any artist). None-the-less, those songs still get stuck in my head at times (even if it IS frustrating).

I don't know if anything I just said makes sense but it's 2 am and I was just in the car driving for an hour so I'm a little out of it lol.

Old 12th August 2011, 09:56 AM
theme of a-nation '03 Initiate

According to my memory, both albums received some sort of negative comments when they released. IMO, Exodus was too experimental at the time of the release. She used her Japanese side to write the English lyrics, and probly she just tried too hard in certain degrees. The product was kinda like a confused object to certain fans (including myself). To be honest, I didn't like Kremlin Dusk at all until a year ago. If she used the same music and produced a Japanese album instead, I think the outcome would be more acceptable. And I think she wasn't very happy about the result as well (sales, comments, etc.). She gained quite a bit of weight after Exodus (my personal thought, so no need to make a fight if you think she was healthy during that moment), and yes I think Exodus really affected her direction on UB and a bit on HS.

TITO, on the other hand, was kinda below hikki's average (in terms of lyrical contents and probly compositions as well). I love how some fans described the album: this is the one (mainstream music) you want, and she just gives it to you. I believe she wanna produced a mainstream album for some fans (who wants mainstream EPop from her). At the same time, I dun think she really cares about the sales and stuff whe releasing this album (probly she didn't care the English market anymore? or probly she hated the music company so much?).
Old 12th August 2011, 11:30 AM
MY STORY Initiate

I really used to think that Exodus is crap but the more I listened to it, the more I began to love it. Later I was able to say that there's so many good songs that I really love to listen and there're even songs I can relate to so to me it's not a bad album. I like that experimental tone there even though it shocked me when I listened to it right after I had finished with DEEP RIVER. XD I was like, "What is this??? Never heard about this kind of music. How bothering...". But I listened to it anyway because it was her album anyway and I was in a huge Hikkistan mode at the time. These days I really think that Exodus is a enjoyable album.

I also love This Is The One very much. It's really different compared to Exodus, and really western mainstream popish. This album also has so many good songs on it that I simply can't hate it. Only song that I don't like that much is Automatic Part II, but just because I'm a stan when it comes to the original Automatic. I think the Part II doesn't do justice to the japanese Automatic at all. But I don't skip it or anything because it ruins the feeling on the album completely. But I seriously adore TITO too even though I don't like one song.

And about In The Flesh. It's kinda bad it's not going to be released but since Island Def Jam is a stupid label, I just have to listen to the mp3 rip till I get bored with it then. XD

You can find me from these too:
~ Facebook
~ Instagram
~ AO3

Old 12th August 2011, 03:10 PM
RAINBOW Guardian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegie View Post
According to my memory, both albums received some sort of negative comments when they released. IMO, Exodus was too experimental at the time of the release. She used her Japanese side to write the English lyrics, and probly she just tried too hard in certain degrees.
I feel like this too; dare I say the American market wasn't ready for this kind of music? Ahaha. No, I loved Exodus a lot when I first heard it...but I'm used to different kinds of music. This Is The One doesn't sound lazy to me, it still has Utada's style to it. But it does seem more rushed than other albums, but maybe that's because we're used to Utada releasing masterpieces, and TITO doesn't really have any stand-out tracks like Exodus or her other albums did. They're all pretty mellow RnB.
Closed Thread

Tags
hikki, singles collection 2, utada hikaru