[2006] what's better? ULTRA BLUE Vs (miss)understood - Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
· Ayu's Official Site · Ayu's twitter · Ayu's YouTube · masa's translations · Misa-chan's translations ·

Go Back   Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai > Music Forums > Asian Music Chat > Asian Music Polls

Notices

View Poll Results: what's better?
(miss)understood 155 64.32%
ULTRA BLUE 86 35.68%
Voters: 241. You may not vote on this poll

Old 9th August 2006, 05:56 PM
Replace Initiate

[2006] what's better? ULTRA BLUE Vs (miss)understood

*ooops!!! it must be moved to the Asia Chat, it's just me...hihi, *

after listening to hikki I have t admit that she has beaten up Ayumi and won with perfect KO

Last edited by ayu_ready?; 9th August 2006 at 06:02 PM.
Old 9th August 2006, 06:36 PM
theme of a-nation '03 Initiate

Daaaaamn right ayu_ready? Hikki has gave Ayu a big KO.

I actually listened to every single track, unlike for (m)u, I skipped half the album.

"ULTRA BLUE" with the wiiin~

this is "do or die", baby.

♥ made by pepicoladas

Old 9th August 2006, 06:42 PM

ULTRA BLUE is much much better . In MU there are a few tracks that were awesome but others that just werent up to par. almost all the songs on UB were decent if not excellent.

XANGA
Old 9th August 2006, 06:45 PM
monochrome Initiate

Yeah...Don't make me laugh...

Ayu's (m)u is much better than ULTRA BLUE!

Old 9th August 2006, 06:58 PM
No way to say Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by tl1029530921
ULTRA BLUE is much much better . In MU there are a few tracks that were awesome but others that just werent up to par. almost all the songs on UB were decent if not excellent.
Ultra Blue had this "feel" to it that just screamed: LISTEN TO EVERY TRACK AND ENJOY IT! so I did. and I did enjoy every single track. M(U) was fine, not anywhere near the brillance of her other albums, but it was a good album none the less. but still there were some songs that I kept on repeat: rainy day, HEAVEN, Fairyland. And some I couldn't skip past fast enough: Beautiful Day, B&D(scared the crap outta me the first time I heard it) Most of the tracks I listened too and enjoy, but In this case, Ultra Blue wins.

--
music.

Old 9th August 2006, 06:58 PM
Greatful days Initiate

Uhh, this is almost 100% the same thing http://www.ahsforum.com/forum/showth...s%29understood

And ayu, death to t'other

Old 9th August 2006, 07:01 PM
No way to say Initiate

^hah, that's funny! so, is this one going in the trash?

--
music.

Old 9th August 2006, 07:14 PM

But, isn't that one for before "ULTRA BLUE" came out?

this is "do or die", baby.

♥ made by pepicoladas

Old 9th August 2006, 07:24 PM
Initiate

Ahh, M(U) is so much better! Ultra Blue is a decent album, but most songs are just filler to me. Besides the singles and the song "Blue", the rest of the album tracks are more or less weak. With Ayu, I loved every single track... when it came out, now, I see a couple of not so impressive songs, but overall, Ayu wins EASILY.

Set, courtesy of the always reliable Yoake!
Old 9th August 2006, 07:26 PM
ayu-mi-x Initiate

i actually prefer m(U) much more than ultra blue ...

i tried really hard to listen to all the tracks in ultra blue, but i can't and still haven't done it till now
Old 9th August 2006, 08:28 PM
Depend on you Initiate

I love Ayu but i gotta admit it, im not a great fan of M(u) and i quite enjoyed Utada's Ultra Blue so my vote is clear ^^
Old 9th August 2006, 10:44 PM
Banned

IMHO, I don't think any tracks in Ultra Blue can be called filler. They're all individual and different, any of them could have been singles. And I love the album and even voted for it in the other thread.

Now however, my vote goes to (miss)understood. It's a lot easier to listen to and quite optimistic too. Plus some of the tracks are just fun, something Utada doesn't have on Ultra Blue. One Night Magic isn't much fun, it's quirky and interesting but never uplifting. I listened to both albums recently over and over again, and I liked (miss)understood more.

Although nothing can beat the Kairo/This Is Love combo.
Old 9th August 2006, 10:51 PM
ourselves Initiate

Where's the "neither" button xD! But if I had to pick one it would be m(u), even though I didn't love it that much..
Old 9th August 2006, 10:58 PM
Far away Initiate

ultrablue.

Migi te wo tsunaide

Old 10th August 2006, 05:15 AM
CAROLS Initiate

Ultra Blue...as (miss)understood has quite a lot of boring songs...but nevertheless...love it =)

Old 11th August 2006, 12:56 AM
TO BE Initiate

(miss)understood is vastly better than ULTRA BLUE in my opinion. While I did enjoy the consistent ethereal feel of ULTRA BLUE and felt it was by far Utada's most mature album to date, it was an enormous step backward in so many aspects. In particular, the arrangements of the songs are sloppy, repetitive, and sound surprisingly dated. Strangely, I found that the slickest sounding song was the oldest, COLORS. It really is a shame because the songs are all really well-written and flow flawlessly, but the arrangements really don't do them justice. I felt that every song could have been absolutely stellar but as a result of the poor arrangements, most of the album sounded like filler. At first, I liked the album, but by my third listen it became almost painful how dated and monotonous the production sounded. I liked the electronic elements, but I wanted something that sounded more polished or organic, like Madonna's Ray of Light album, the space-age thumpers of Hikki's own Exodus, or the glossy messy-ness of Ayu's RAINBOW album. The other huge problem I have with the album are the vocals. Utada has a lovely voice, but she seems very uncomfortable in her upper register. Unfortunately, I found that on most tracks Utada was trying to sing much higher than she is capable of and was noticeably straining. As a result, very often in the album her vocals either sounded hoarse and raspy or shrill and piercing, and she showed little control over her vibrato. Overall, the consistent ethereal feel and excellent song writing really shine, but at the same time the cheaply done arrangements and technically poor vocals detracted hugely from what could have been an incredible album.

Conversely, I was blown away by (miss)understood, though admittedly it is a love it or hate it type of album. Your enjoyment of the album really depends on how broad your musical tastes are and if you don’t mind cohesiveness being sacrificed in favour of variety. The album is the perfect showcase of Ayu’s incredible versatility and ability to change. It presents such a vast array of musical genres and styles to the listener, ranging from electro pop to funk to sweeping balladry, while still feeling classically Ayu. Furthermore, each track is undeniably polished and refreshing. Even more impressively is how fluidly the album flows despite having such distinctly different and diverse tracks. As with most Ayu albums, the tracks are generally ordered by genre, but the album doesn’t feel disjointed at all. Although every track feels very unique, there is always an underlying emotional theme that flows into the next track. For instance, the album starts off with a burst of exuberance and style with Bold & Delicious, then flows into an equally bouncy song with a slightly darker, off-beat side with STEP you, which flows into the haunting yet still poppy Ladies Night. The album is structured perfectly to never bore the listener but also avoids interrupting the continuity of the album. I loved how it feels very bubbly at first and slowly becomes darker, moving from despair to anger to melancholy, and slowly becomes more uplifting, ending with the sombre but optimistic tracks. I will say that although it flows well, overall because there is so much variety it detracts a lot from the coherency of the album. But that’s the album’s charm, you either get it or you don’t.

Personally though, I think everything I mentioned is somewhat trivial when I listen to music. Ultimately, what it come down to is which album has the better songs, and that is where I think (miss)understood totally trumps ULTRA BLUE. Upon first listen, I thought all the songs from last year’s singles, Ladies Night and rainy day, and the two interludes were absolute stunners and easily some of Ayu’s best work. Upon repeated listens, I began to appreciate the aforementioned songs even more and grew to love all of the album tracks as well. Conversely, on ULTRA BLUE I liked all the tracks but I only loved One Night Magic, COLORS, and Passion on first listen. After multiple listens though, I was expecting to like the album even more, but the flaws of the tracks became more and more apparent. Even still, ULTRA BLUE is a worthwhile album and I might have put too much emphasis on the negative aspects of it, but (miss)understood is by far my favourite album of any artist. To me ULTRA BLUE seems like an album that’s easy to like but hard to love, while (miss)understood seems like an album that’s easy to love and easy to hate.

Ick, long post. I feel sorry for anyone who actually read this whole thing.
Old 11th August 2006, 01:02 AM
SCAR Initiate

My problem is that i've only heard (m)u and i haven't heard UB. So I chose (m)u LOL. I heard Colors in UB and I was amazed haha, and I bet if I were to hear all of UB i'd probably like it more than (m)u because I ruined the album for myself by hearing a bunch of singles before it came out. I bet that's why some of you prefer UB.
Old 11th August 2006, 01:14 AM
!ecºice

(miss)understood.

Though the name blows, I don't like Udata.
Old 11th August 2006, 01:35 AM
WHATEVER Initiate

OMG i can choose both cds n_nU

Old 11th August 2006, 02:13 AM
ANGEL'S SONG H-Initiate

No_Doubt.

ZOMG U ROCK. D:'

XDD

Last edited by truehappiness; 11th August 2006 at 02:15 AM.

Tags
(miss)understood, hikaru utada, ultra blue