Critique: 23rd Monster - Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
· Ayu's Official Site · Ayu's twitter · Ayu's YouTube · masa's translations · Misa-chan's translations ·

Go Back   Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai > Ayumi Hamasaki Forums > Ayu Chat-Room

Notices

Old 28th April 2021, 05:31 PM
RAINBOW Guardian

Critique: 23rd Monster

23rd Monster is a surprise release, dropped on the 8th April 2021 to celebrate Ayu's 23rd anniversary as an artist with Avex. You can read tenshi no hane's translation of the song here.

Questions (unnecessary to answer them, just to stir thoughts):
1. What do you think of the song?
2. The mixing/production of Ayu's songs has been a hot topic for quite a few years now. How do you think 23rd Monster holds up in that regard?
3. Ayu has had issues with her vocal performance in the last few years, experimenting with different techniques and styles to work with her vocal cord damage. What do you think of her vocal performance in 23rd Monster?
4. Any other worries about the lyrical content? What do you think this could mean for Ayu's music going forward?
5. 23rd Monster also had its own single cover, shot by Kazuyoshi Shimomura. How do you feel about the creative direction of the photoshoot? Any thoughts on what the artistic meaning is, or do you feel it was still lacking in any obvious meaning to the viewer?
6. Although not out in full yet, the PV for 23rd Monster still has a teaser on youtube, so thoughts on that (and the full-length one later) are welcome too.
Old 28th April 2021, 07:01 PM
theme of a-nation '03 H-Initiate

I haven't kept up with Ayu's vocals for the past few years, but I definitely noticed the "singing like she has a potato in her mouth" technique in 23rd Monster. It sounds like everything is coming from the back of her mouth.

Does anyone have insight on why she uses this style of singing? Does it make it easier to sing? Or it's just an artistic effect? It reminds me a lot of Hyde from Laruku
Old 28th April 2021, 07:58 PM
End roll Initiate

I'm ok with her vocals and the way they change throughout the years, so no critiques there.

I think this song is better than the ballads she's been putting out over the last few years, but I do think the production quality of the instrumentals has suffered drastically.
Old 28th April 2021, 08:10 PM
SEASONS Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by pommy48 View Post
I haven't kept up with Ayu's vocals for the past few years, but I definitely noticed the "singing like she has a potato in her mouth" technique in 23rd Monster. It sounds like everything is coming from the back of her mouth.
It's weird because I had this specific issue with Ohia no Ki and Haru Yo Koi vocals (first part mostly), but it is almost absent here for me. Her vocals are really not far from how they used to sound few years back to me and I like them this way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akutenshi View Post
I think this song is better than the ballads she's been putting out over the last few years, but I do think the production quality of the instrumentals has suffered drastically.
I have the same feeling. But it is less an issue for me on this kind of song compared to ballads.
Old 28th April 2021, 08:21 PM
Love song H-Initiate

This "potato" was the first thing I've noticed. I thought maybe lyrics is too complicated and thempo too high
to pronounce words clear

Last edited by Aderianu; 28th April 2021 at 09:44 PM.
Old 28th April 2021, 09:20 PM

I noticed the "potato" in talkin' 2 myself and especially in Love song, so I thought it was just an effect.

But she does it a lot in this song even when she was singing the slow parts. If anything, the faster parts sounded clearer to me.
Old 28th April 2021, 10:31 PM
SEASONS Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by pommy48 View Post
I noticed the "potato" in talkin' 2 myself
Wish she’d sing with that potato more often then lol

(we have completely different opinions about a matter and neither she or me should be offended, it is that difficult?)
Old 28th April 2021, 10:35 PM
TO BE Initiate

let's read something positive in between the posts:

She was able to surprise me with this release. I really enjoyed this type of style, dark and deep. It's kind of refreshing in regard to the last releases. I think its quite beautiful that we can hear her not being so nasal! Its not bad that her technique is more nasal nowadays but a chance in technique is great to me!

Im sure that 23rd monster would have been a great single if she had released it during mirrocle world era. don't ask me why i specify it like this ;D it just came to my mind.

I want to turn into a flower, grow thorns,
wither, fall and rot away
Don’t pick me up, leave me
Forget me

Old 28th April 2021, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toniayu123 View Post
Wish she’d sing with that potato more often then lol

(we have completely different opinions about a matter and neither she or me should be offended, it is that difficult?)
You not being offended offends me!

But regardless of the existence of that potato or not, this would be an awesome song live.

Her dark/rock songs have always been my favorite, so this checked all the boxes
Old 29th April 2021, 01:44 AM
RAINBOW Guardian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akutenshi View Post
I'm glad she came back with a more powerful song too, although the production is definitely still not on par with some of her earlier work. It's a step up from Dreamed a Dream already though so I'm hopeful (I did like Dreamed a Dream overall, but it just sounds a bit too empty for me).
Old 29th April 2021, 04:18 AM
SURREAL H-Initiate

What’s holding me back from enjoying this song is the lack of enunciation???

I feel like it’s quite hard to make out what she’s singing, which I’ve honestly not experienced much of in the past.

I’m hoping it was a stylistic choice as opposed to a new singing style.

"Remember, don't let others dictate your music taste. If you like whatever you're listening to, keep listening to it."

Old 29th April 2021, 08:51 AM
ANGEL'S SONG Initiate

I love voice changes along ayu's career. It makes her discography eras even more unique.

My first J-pop cover album is out on Spotify! Please check it out!
Old 29th April 2021, 08:54 AM
WHATEVER Initiate

I liked 23rd Monster when it was released...but I've only listened to it a handful of times since then. There are some Ayu tracks that I don't listen to often, but still enjoy thoroughly (forgiveness and Close to you come to mind), but I think the issue with 23rd Monster for me is that, while it is certainly a 'stronger' track than previous releases, it does appear to be more of the 'same' musically. It hasn't grabbed me like I thought it would as there are similar tracks in her discography that are more interesting musically and conceptually.

I almost feel like Ayu is...'meta' motivated and inspired (and has been for the last five years at least)? As in, she's motivated and inspired to continue releasing music by internal factors (i.e. her fans, her team, some elements of her classic sound), as opposed to external factors (i.e. new music, popular music genres, the desire to create, attracting new fans, etc.).

I admire the fact that Ayu continues to work hard, but...I wish she would work with different composers/arrangers and production teams to freshen her sound.
Old 29th April 2021, 03:10 PM
RAINBOW Guardian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 280301 View Post
I almost feel like Ayu is...'meta' motivated and inspired (and has been for the last five years at least)? As in, she's motivated and inspired to continue releasing music by internal factors (i.e. her fans, her team, some elements of her classic sound), as opposed to external factors (i.e. new music, popular music genres, the desire to create, attracting new fans, etc.).

I admire the fact that Ayu continues to work hard, but...I wish she would work with different composers/arrangers and production teams to freshen her sound.
Thank you for giving this a name, since I've been feeling like this too but didn't really know how to summarise it. I think I'd say around A ONE had this shift, but definitely since TROUBLE I would say this is the case. I still enjoy tracks from these eras, but it's definitely different. I feel Haru yo, koi is the song with the most love and production put into it since 2018 and the fact she spoke on that process so happily confirmed this for me.

As a note to anyone reading, I don't think Ayu is a bad artist because I feel this way, it's just something I've personally noted on her work too. The reasoning behind creating her music has definitely changed since Colours imo. It's why her TA entry this year was so significant to me.
Old 29th April 2021, 05:47 PM
Initiate

I love the song. And it's been a long, long time since I listened with joy to an Ayu's song.

This one reminds me of the old times (2006-2008) and I love the fierceness of the song.

Ayu's vocals changed a lot these past few years but I don't mind.

On this song, I admit it is a little weird, it is like she is singing without music in her voice (I don't know how to explain this point correctly in english). But I think it suits the song.

Best song since a long time for me, I wish for an album of this type, something fierce and more entertaining instead of new ballads once more.
Old 29th April 2021, 05:57 PM
Because of You Initiate

can we add

number 5 / single/album cover
number 6 : PV

in this thread as well?

I have issues with the cover...

Put my mouth on the lyrics like CPR

Old 29th April 2021, 06:05 PM
HAPPY ENDING Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by koumori View Post
Thank you for giving this a name, since I've been feeling like this too but didn't really know how to summarise it. I think I'd say around A ONE had this shift, but definitely since TROUBLE I would say this is the case. I still enjoy tracks from these eras, but it's definitely different. I feel Haru yo, koi is the song with the most love and production put into it since 2018 and the fact she spoke on that process so happily confirmed this for me.

As a note to anyone reading, I don't think Ayu is a bad artist because I feel this way, it's just something I've personally noted on her work too. The reasoning behind creating her music has definitely changed since Colours imo. It's why her TA entry this year was so significant to me.
I do believe her hearing issues will affect how much she can actually freshen her sound in the future, as she would need new references and that would require her to, well, listen to new stuff.

Unless she hands that to someone else and hopes that person will now to reflect her accuratelly, there's not much that can be done.

I did enjoy Dreamed a Dream and 23rd Monster, but I completelly agree there's nothing new about any of those, something that has been an inssue since Colours, maybe.

http://stan-wars.com/1989.html

I live around AHS (Ayumi Haters Sekai)

Old 29th April 2021, 08:09 PM
RAINBOW Guardian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kotora View Post
can we add

number 5 / single/album cover
number 6 : PV

in this thread as well?

I have issues with the cover...
Sure! The stuff in the first post is just some prompts and aren't the only things people can bring up, but I'll add those in so people know that the cover and PV are still relevant to discuss as well

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrenekoi View Post
I do believe her hearing issues will affect how much she can actually freshen her sound in the future, as she would need new references and that would require her to, well, listen to new stuff.

Unless she hands that to someone else and hopes that person will now to reflect her accuratelly, there's not much that can be done.
Yeah, this is a likely contributor for sure and something important to take into consideration. I've always loved Ayu for her unique compositions and she has still had those since Colours, but... there has been definitely more repeating trends and that might be just the way it'll be. I was heavier on criticizing this when TROUBLE dropped and although I'll still comment on it, I'm in a more balanced place of contextualizing possible reasons for her creative decisions these days.

All that said - of course I do hope she finds more people she can trust in the future if she is interested in still trying new things. From her blog, it sounds like she is wanting that too, and all I can hope for as a fan is for her to feel fulfilled and confident in her work.
Old 29th April 2021, 08:11 PM
And Then Initiate

I like it. Rock Ayu is always well received. I like how she is giving us different styles with the 3 songs she has released so far. The potato voice... I don't find it that weird. Maybe I just got used to it, I don't know

The only thing this song misses for me is that the chorus could be more powerful. The rest is okay for me. Not something iconic but ok. Maybe it's because I'm too obsessed now with Utada's One Last Kiss and nothing can top it now lol
Old 29th April 2021, 09:22 PM
HAPPY ENDING Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by koumori View Post

Sure! The stuff in the first post is just some prompts and aren't the only things people can bring up, but I'll add those in so people know that the cover and PV are still relevant to discuss as well

Yeah, this is a likely contributor for sure and something important to take into consideration. I've always loved Ayu for her unique compositions and she has still had those since Colours, but... there has been definitely more repeating trends and that might be just the way it'll be. I was heavier on criticizing this when TROUBLE dropped and although I'll still comment on it, I'm in a more balanced place of contextualizing possible reasons for her creative decisions these days.

All that said - of course I do hope she finds more people she can trust in the future if she is interested in still trying new things. From her blog, it sounds like she is wanting that too, and all I can hope for as a fan is for her to feel fulfilled and confident in her work.
I do believe Max started producing her again because he's someone who knows her and her work well. Still, Ayu had a pretty unique musical vision for a good part of her career that is most likelly lost.

http://stan-wars.com/1989.html

I live around AHS (Ayumi Haters Sekai)

Tags
2021, 23rd monster, ayumi hamasaki, critique