[A] MADE IN JAPAN song opinions! - Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
· Ayu's Official Site · Ayu's twitter · Ayu's YouTube · masa's translations · Misa-chan's translations ·

Go Back   Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai > Ayumi Hamasaki Forums > Ayu Chat-Room

Notices

Old 11th May 2016, 08:54 AM
Depend on you Initiate

MADE IN JAPAN song opinions!

What are your thoughts on the album? Song ratings? etc.

copy & paste this is if you want:

tasky -

FLOWER -

Mad World -

Breakdown -

Survivor -

You are the only one -

TODAY -

Mr.Darling -

Summer Love -

note: I realize there's a MADE IN JAPAN album topic but I think it'd be cool to have a place just for talking about the music, not 50+ posts about the lack of an album cover or marketing strategy or OMGGG.

Last edited by 4Seasons; 11th May 2016 at 09:59 AM.
Old 11th May 2016, 09:24 AM
Depend on you Initiate

Initial thoughts~~

tasky - 5/5
Fantastic to have tasking back! Great Japanese sound. Makes me think of Pieces of SEVEN.

FLOWER - 5/5
Last Minute part 3, Sorrows part 2, with a Japanese tint.

Mad World - 5/5
An all-around fantastic song.

Breakdown - 3/5
petal part 2? Kinda bland. Very "A ONE" x "LOVE again". Good vocal performance though. I'd love to see the lyrics.

Survivor - 5/5
F-CK YES! A unique song! Yay for semi-experimental Ayu!
-1 for clearly hearing Tim's song, but whatever. Fantastic song. Very modern-Japanese.

You are the only one - 4/5
OMG Loreena McKennitt makes an appearance.

TODAY - 3/5
Where have I heard those HAAAHAALALALALAS before...? This song is about 2 minutes too long..I felt like skipping it. The verses are nice though, and the intro is beautiful.

Mr.Darling - 3/5
"Out of control" x "Last links". It's a nice album addition, but a lil' forgettable and safe. What are the lyrics?

Summer Love - 4/5
The chorus is trash but I love experimental Ayu!! Woo!

Overall, truehappiness predicted correctly that this would still be "safe Ayu", although I might feel that way because currently I'm using a black-and-white fan-cover. It's a bit hard to say how this is going to turn out fully.

Still, I love this album much more than A ONE and sixxxxxx.

Last edited by 4Seasons; 11th May 2016 at 09:59 AM.
Old 11th May 2016, 09:45 AM
TO BE Initiate

tasky - 5/5
oh my god. this is pure amazingness, honestly her best intro ever.

FLOWER - 5/5
i love it that they took the introduction into this song. all in all i think her best song on this album and 100000 times better than sorrows.

Mad World - 4/5
somehow such a deep song. i cant explain it

Breakdown - 4/5
personally, i adore these slow and controlled sounds.

Survivor - 4.5/5
inspire, part 2! Love it, even the jungle vibes i get from it!

You are the only one - 3.5/5
it sounds like a disney song for the ending. again those jungle vibes fit perfectly

TODAY - 3/5
its the only average song for me. but still ok-ish!

Mr.Darling - 3.5/5
i dont get the out of control feeling. its the only song i cant remember though. it reminds me of b-side song from afterschool.

Summer Love - 4/5
The chorus isnt that good but it is 100% catchy .

all in all, i adore this album. i loved six and a one but listening to this album, in just thankful that ayu is producing some great music again. the whole theme, album, lyrics (so far) fits sooo damn good. i love it
Old 11th May 2016, 10:12 AM
July 1st Initiate

I just listened to tasky for the moment, and guess what ? it reminds me of another song >_<
Actually, it's just a tiny little part, that reminds me Pagan Poetry from Björk (the first seconds) :

Old 11th May 2016, 10:16 AM
ANGEL'S SONG H-Initiate

Like 6 different people mentioned that so I wonder if it was intentionally stuck in there by tasuku.
Old 11th May 2016, 10:20 AM
Depend on you Initiate

Tasking always uses samples from existing tracks, right? I think we've discussed this issue many times haha.
Old 11th May 2016, 10:21 AM
July 1st Initiate

^ Yeah, that's why i said "guess what?" lol

Old 11th May 2016, 10:35 AM
Far away Initiate

tasky - 5/5
Best intro since THE introduction.
FLOWER - 5/5
I think is my favourite song. Ayu rock and powerful, all I love about her.
Mad World - 5/5
Her feelings here are everything ♥
Breakdown - 4.5/5
I really love the end, so meaningful.
Survivor - 5/5
Experimental, original, epic, it remember me tracks like kiss o'kill (but not as great)
You are the only one - 4/5
The chorus at the end is good.
TODAY - 2'5/5
Forgettable.
Mr.Darling - 3'5/5
This part is like Call and Letter and I've always love more letter.
Summer Love - 4'5/5
Chorus failed a little but the "oh oh" parts were so addictive, I love the j-pop feel.

Hey, the reason of this smile and the meaning of this word can't be understood
Because I don't even want to make them understood
— until that Day...

Last edited by Uknow!; 11th May 2016 at 10:44 AM.
Old 11th May 2016, 10:38 AM
SURREAL H-Initiate

It's funny (thought not surprising to me) but TODAY is one of the songs I'm repeating the most, but seemingly not so liked here. Haha that always happens with me though. Really nice lyrics.

I'm still forming opinions on everything though will come back to this

Oh but my very first thought about Survivor was "Timmy" and if any of you know me, you'll know what that means for me. Lol

"Remember, don't let others dictate your music taste. If you like whatever you're listening to, keep listening to it."

Last edited by tokyoxjapanxfan; 11th May 2016 at 10:41 AM.
Old 11th May 2016, 10:55 AM
ANGEL'S SONG H-Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Seasons View Post
Tasking always uses samples from existing tracks, right? I think we've discussed this issue many times haha.
tasuku tends to use from sample libraries, yeah.
Old 11th May 2016, 10:57 AM
July 1st Initiate

Currently listening to Mr. Darling....

♪ Moto soba ni iteeeee ! Moto soba ni iteeee ! ♫

Old 11th May 2016, 12:12 PM
Dolls Initiate

tasky - 5/5 fantastic blending from japanese folk music into electronic. Simply amazing.

FLOWER - 5/5 best rock track since Microphone. Catchy chorus with no lalala's that makes m3 cringe in WARNING.

Mad World - 2/5 really people likes it that much? Just another generic rock ballad from Ayu. Technically, an okay song.

Breakdown - 3/5 another generic ballad but it does have amazing ending.

Survivor - 100/5 wow. Just wow. Inspire meets Timmy ♡♡♡ so catchy

You are the only one - 4/5 i was shocked i finally liked an Ayu smooth ballad. FINALLY she does a ballad that doesnt sound like beloved part 15.

TODAY - 1/5 so generic i dont even remember a single thing from this song.

Mr.Darling - 2/5 another generic rock ballad thing.

Summer Love - 3/5 i just apprieciate the fact it doesnt sound as immature as Feel the love and You & Me. Her voice is more mature and this song gives me a tm revolution feeling.

I had a problem with ayu soft ballads and now i feel she might have rock ballads problems.( i mean the unhealthy amount of them) I wouldnt recognize which one was Mad World and which was Breakdown after first listen since Survivor and FLOWER stuck in my head just right now. BUT she is making amazing direction after sixxxxxx. I HAVE a feeling that Made in Japan plus sixxxxxx would make an amazing long album.

Last edited by pepper; 11th May 2016 at 12:16 PM.
Old 11th May 2016, 12:41 PM
CAROLS Initiate

OMG what the heck is this? Is this a new album I had no idea about it!
Old 11th May 2016, 12:52 PM
Two of us Initiate

This album didn't get to me at my first listen
Tried to listen again at a quiet place and I'm getting to love what I'm hearing!
Gotta download the higher quality

Edit :

tasky - 3.5/5
It has a really unique arrangement but I'm just not a fan of EDM

FLOWER - 4/5
As always great rock song from Ayu! But her voice in the chorus sounds weird..

Mad World - 5/5
Definitely my type

Breakdown - 4/5
Just why it's similar to Shape of love o.O

Survivor - 5/5
Give me more songs like this, Ayu

You are the only one - 2/5
I don't like this kind of song, even though the arrangement is kinda heavenly

TODAY - 5/5
So touching and relaxing!

Mr.Darling - 2/5
I think it's too generic

Summer Love - 4/5
I don't really remember the melody but it's such a nice EDM. Somehow remind me of old jpop songs

Overall : I love this album, has unique arrangements and solid flow. Better than sixxxxxx and deeper than A ONE. I just wish that it would content more songs like her past albums.

Last edited by asongfor96; 11th May 2016 at 11:06 PM. Reason: adding opinion
Old 11th May 2016, 01:23 PM
Initiate

Okay, Let's go!

tasky - 4/5
Great introduction with modern and traditional sounds, very catchy! A real song could be good as well!

FLOWER - 4/5
Ayu's pop/rock songs are back, thanks god! The intro is beautiful and the song so, so good. Reminds me of Countdown from R'n'RC!

Mad World - 4/5
I expected a little more but I really love the chorus. Beautiful song.

Breakdown - 2/5
Nice but I won't remember it lol. Classic song.

Survivor - 5/5
THE BEST song on this album, wahou, I love it! So fun! Reminds me of Inspire. And this song is like it was created for the Eurovision Song Contest (thanks to the chorus) lol

You are the only one - 5/5
I'm not a fan of ballads in general but this one is a masterpiece.

TODAY - 1/5
Next please! Sorry, I don't really liked it and won't remember it as well.

Mr.Darling - 2/5
The beginning was interesting but then the song was classic. Reminds me of Last links from R'n'RC

Summer Love - 4/5
An EDM japanese song very fun and very retro! Reminds me of You&Me or Feel the love. Perfect for this summer!

Well I'm happy with this new album, so much better than Sixxxxxx or A One. I didn't feel so excited since Rock'n'Roll Circus!
Old 11th May 2016, 01:40 PM
As if.. Initiate

I'm not going to give a rating. I'm just going to give my opinion for each track.

tasky - One of her better introductions, that's for sure! Don't know what else to say lol Looking forward to the visuals that will surely accompany this during the tour

FLOWER - Something about her voice during the chorus throws me off but other than that, definitely deserves a position in the list of Ayu's best pop/rock songs.

Mad World - Love Love LOVE this. The way she is singing this and vocals have such a plea to it. You can almost hear the desperation in her voice trying to get her message across. Definitely my favourite track on the album.

Breakdown - I didn't really listen to this in full yet. My initial impressions though felt like it was such a drag to get through. I'm going to give it another shot though later on.

Survivor - I don't hate it. I don't love it either. I feel like this is a song that I would appreciate live on stage. I also really appreciate the fact that this is something new for her. The jungle elements are interesting and hopefully that translate in the tour. I can just imagine a full jungle scene already on stage with vines, trees, rain, dancers in animalistic costumes <3

You are the only one - I didn't like this initially but after downloading the higher quality and listening through my headphones, it is quite magical and serene! It's a very atmospheric song and really takes you to an ethereal place. Really beautiful

TODAY - Generic. Forgettable. Meh.
edit: Actually, I do enjoy the verse but the chorus is what I don't like at all.

Mr.Darling - It's cute but not over the top sugary sweet cute! Something I would listen to on a calm summer day on a bus ride staring out the window while creepily smiling lol

Summer Love - Delete.

Last edited by indigochild; 11th May 2016 at 01:59 PM.
Old 11th May 2016, 02:07 PM
I am... Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by tokyoxjapanxfan View Post
It's funny (thought not surprising to me) but TODAY is one of the songs I'm repeating the most, but seemingly not so liked here. Haha that always happens with me though. Really nice lyrics.
So I am not the only one. ^^ I have only listened to "FLOWER" so far, but based on the overall reactions, I wouldn't be surprised to find that I love "TODAY". I actually really wanted to listen to it, because of the lyrics posted on her twitter, but I had to decide on one song and that was "FLOWER". I don't want to spoil too much of the album.

Quote:
Originally Posted by indigochild View Post
Summer Love - Delete.
I don't know why, but that was kind of funny. lol Though I feel sorry for poor "Summer Love". =(

「浜崎あゆみ」であること
”歌う”ということ
それは”生きる”ということ

SCawaii May 2008

矛盾だらけの こんな私でも
許されますか 教えてよ

浜崎あゆみ 「I am...」

Old 11th May 2016, 02:52 PM
Connected Initiate

Tasks reminds me of this performance.

Old 11th May 2016, 02:56 PM
Depend on you Initiate

tasky – Awesome intro. Definitely one of the best interludes on her discography. Love the fact that it builds up to FLOWER. 5/5

FLOWER – I love it. It’s really good. Love the Japanese atmosphere and the drums. Nice ending. The chaos in the choruses bothers me a tiny bit but other than that the song is perfect. 4.5/5

Mad World – Absolutely LOVE this one. My favourite on the album. Makes me teary-eyed and it just breaks my heart, so strong it is. And Ayu’s voice is just pure magic. I love how deep and sorrowful she sounds. 5/5

Breakdown – It’s strong but the thing is... It reminds me of Shape of love which is a good song but there is something that makes it just mediocre for me. The same with Breakdown. There are some things I find nice, like the piano at the beginning, the chaos at the end and the drastic ending that follows. 2/5

Survivor – This one was a grower but just because it’s soooo different. Had to listen to it for a couple of times before making an opinion. But it’s awesome. Strong, bold, unusual, weird. There are so many words I could use to describe it. I love when Ayu makes weird stuff like this. I’m a huge fan of alterna, Sexy little things and Ladies Night, just to mention a few... Love the choir, love the chorus. The verses are a bit bland compared to the rest of the song but it’s still awesome. 4.5/5

You are the only one – Beautiful. Relaxing. Love Ayu’s voice in this one too. Love the beginning which reminds of Survivor. The last chorus is super. So emotional and strong. It’s just a bit bland in the verses. 3.5/5

TODAY – It’s ok. Generic compared to the rest of the album. Like the Halaahalaa parts, though. 2/5

Mr.Darling – I know many people haven’t liked this one but I’ll have to differ. I love the title and I love the song in itself. I usually like this kind of mid-tempo/rock-ballad songs, such as Last Links. This reminds me a bit of that song. The choruses touch my heart the same way Mad World does. My only complaint is that she sounds a bit too cutesy in the verses. In the choruses it doesn’t bother me. 4.5/5

Summer Love – I’m not usually a huge fan of this kind of songs but this... This I like. Love the o-o-o-o-o parts and the EDM vibes. 4/5

Overall, I love this album. I think it flows really well and I enjoy listening to it as a whole. 6 out of 9 songs got a 4 or higher which is very well. Mad World is definitely the best, though. <3
Old 11th May 2016, 03:30 PM
RAINBOW Guardian

tasky - Gorgeous intro, definitely one of the best of her entire career. I really feel this represents how Ayu sees herself as an artist as well. 5/5!

FLOWER - tasky leads perfectly into FLOWER, and together they're a powerful beginning to the album. I really love her vocals here as well. 5/5

Mad World - Where did this come from?! Another powerful song... very emotional. I really love the effort she put into it. Another 5/5 from me.

Breakdown - This is so 'Ayu' it almost hurts! Very melodic. I feel like she is really trying to weave a story here, and not just through the lyrics. The abrupt ending to leave us hanging is very poignant. 4/5

Survivor - I actually love this! I get (Miss)understood vibes? The chorus is again very powerful but for a different reason than the first two songs. I can really visualise Ayu singing her heart out to record this in the studio. Lots of positive emotion. 5/5

You are the only one - A beautiful ballad, something refreshing and very well done. I'm usually not a huge fan of her ballads but I really loved this one. The ending of it just made it another obvious 5/5 for me.

TODAY - A medium-ballad that could have fitted on A ONE/Love again/Love songs for me. It's nice and Ayu's vocals are smooth, but there's no initial hook here for me that is of the same standard as the rest of the album so far. 2/5

Mr.Darling - A cute song, but having both TODAY and Mr.Darling running together just makes this part of the album feel a bit sameish. I like the guitars though and her little high notes three quarters through feels quite nostalgic. 3/5

Summer Love - It feels a bit out of place, I think an additional interlude inbetween this and Mr.Darling would have helped it fit a bit more into the album for me. It's a good EDM track though - catchy, nice hooks, good vocals. Not really my thing but it's obvious that Ayu had fun with this one and wanted a new upbeat dance track for lives. 2/5

Overall
A strong new album - I do miss her interludes and I think an additional one or two would have helped piece together the different genres at work here. That said, the first six tracks are the most solid I have heard from her in a long time and I really love what ideas she incorporated. I read elsewhere that someone felt she really had a message to share... I feel that here, too. Overall a 3.5/5!

Last edited by koumori; 11th May 2016 at 05:14 PM.

Tags
made in japan