Ayu and Religion - Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
· Ayu's Official Site · Ayu's twitter · Ayu's YouTube · masa's translations · Misa-chan's translations ·

Go Back   Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai > Ayumi Hamasaki Forums > Enquiries

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 24th May 2003, 11:53 PM
-BOKU-

Ayu and Religion

Im just curiose... where does Ayu stand on Religion?... is she anythin? or somethin? because ive seen pictures of her ptaying but i dont knwo if they were just publicity shots so.. can anyone lemme know?
Old 24th May 2003, 11:55 PM
Initiate

i thought she was christian, well i read this in anothr post somebody made..im sure one of us knows...just not me

All of the moments that already passed
We'll try to go back and make them last
All of the things we want each other to be
We never will be
And that's wonderful, and that's life
And that's you, baby
This is me, baby
And we are, we are, we are, we are
Free
In our love
We are free in our love...

Nelly Furtado ~~ TRY

Old 25th May 2003, 03:28 AM
my name's WOMEN Initiate

CAtholic???

Old 25th May 2003, 04:19 AM
y2687

im thinking catholic?
Old 25th May 2003, 04:41 AM
End roll Initiate

imma thinkin dat its catholikk kuz onli catholic would wear crosses n stuff.. n plus they believe in maria, which is the theme of ayumi'z song M
Old 25th May 2003, 07:45 AM
ever free Initiate

I dunno. Don't Christains wear crosses too? Those 2 religions have always confused me because they are so similar to each other. There was a picture of Ayu that I posted and her nails had diamonds in the shape of a cross on them. If I'm not wrong, she had a black hood on?

Imagination Ayu
Thanks to alphanumeric
AIM: Yukinocutie
Old 25th May 2003, 07:53 AM
The Judgement Day Guardian

Quote:
Originally posted by Yuki
I dunno. Don't Christains wear crosses too? Those 2 religions have always confused me because they are so similar to each other. There was a picture of Ayu that I posted and her nails had diamonds in the shape of a cross on them. If I'm not wrong, she had a black hood on?
Christian is a general religion. If you believe in Christ than you're already a Christain. Catholic is a christian religion for example. But Catholics pray for saints like Maria for example, while many other christian religions don't. If Ayu made a song called M, it means "Maria" so it is a song that refer to the catholic religion. Also the same happens to Free&Easy cause the song refers to Joan of Ark (Joan Darc was burned by the church in the past but was later turned into a saint...weird LOL). And some of the pics from Free&Easy has Ayu as a nun. Nuns as far as I know only exist in catholicism. Which means the main religion she has mentioned in her songs was the catholicism and not the general christianism. But that doesn't exactly say what her religion is. What I think: It would be quite schizo if she used this religion to express through her songs if she didn't believe on it. There has a strong evidence that Ayu at least admires the catholic religion but that wouldn't mean she is catholic though. The crosses stuff though don't bring much evidence cause crosses are wore by anyone in this world...it's just like the Yin and Yang symbol...a lot of people don't even know what it means and still wear those as a necklace (like SurrealDreams mentioned in the other thread ahhaha)

♬♪aijou de nuritsubushite
owaranai Spiral nukedasenai
mazari au mayoi sae irodukete so high
kaeshitakunai
Rise in a spiral yeah
I go insane
Dive to your paradise
(Treat me like a fool)♬♪

Old 25th May 2003, 08:12 AM
Daybreak Initiate

I believe that Ayu is Catholic...

Vo. ちい → " えへへ・・・ ☆underconstruction "

Old 25th May 2003, 01:11 PM
poker face Initiate

Isn't it like Japanese people aren't that strict on religions? Like Christians also go to Shinto temples to pray or the other way round. That's what I read somewhere.

I don't think she's a religious person. I haven't read an interview with her where she mentions her religion, or that she belives in a god.

Her crosses might be a fashion thing. And, as ImpactBreaker already mentioned, crosses aren't owned by the Christian Church. Just because you're wearing a cross or incorporating Christian things in your MVs or lyrics, doesn't mean you're Christian.
Old 25th May 2003, 01:27 PM
Evolution Wind

Recent statistics shows Japan's religions are like this -
Shintoism 93%, Buddhism 74%, Christianity 1% (most Jpanase consider themselves to be both Shinto and Buddhist).

Merry * Christmas ! * *

i'm ditching my old 5 years unchanged sig to something else soon so watch this space if u like reading sigs
Old 25th May 2003, 02:19 PM
Wishing Guardian

I don't believe Ayumi is christian or catholic. This is an excerpt from an article translated by Isaac Hiew:

Quote:
To welcome the next millennium, ayu already released her new single, “M” on 13th December. She forgot about the motive of this song, but it’s about a friend told her a story about Mary, before that, she thought that Mary was a saint. But after the story, she know she was wrong since Mary was also a normal female too. And ayu wants to write about original elements of a female that won’t change by time. Therefore, this song was composed with lyrics-music. (Lyrics first, then music).
She found out about Maria from a story a friend told her. If she was christian or catholic she would already know all about her.

I think Ayu is interested in characters like Maria and Jeanne D'Arc for two reasons:
1) She is attracted to them as female 'role models' or examples of unique, strong, etc women.
2) Like other Japanese she is fascinated by western things. For example, 'christian' style weddings, celebration of christmas, and wearing of crosses are very popular in Japan even though most people don't understand what they mean or believe in them. They just do it because it is trendy, like using engrish slang.
Old 25th May 2003, 02:27 PM
The Judgement Day Guardian

Oh this article helps to understand what was behind the M lyrics! I didn't know anything about M cause I still didn't know Ayu the time she released that single. Thanks for the info nmskalmn!

♬♪aijou de nuritsubushite
owaranai Spiral nukedasenai
mazari au mayoi sae irodukete so high
kaeshitakunai
Rise in a spiral yeah
I go insane
Dive to your paradise
(Treat me like a fool)♬♪

Old 25th May 2003, 02:27 PM
Evolution Wind

Quote:
and wearing of crosses are very popular in Japan even though most people don't understand what they mean or believe in them.
Likewise, the Yin-Yang stuff in the western world.

Merry * Christmas ! * *

i'm ditching my old 5 years unchanged sig to something else soon so watch this space if u like reading sigs
Old 25th May 2003, 10:49 PM
-BOKU-

hmm so teh possibility of her being catholic/christian has dropped right lol?.. mabey she is.. but like most singers/actors.. dont really show it... cuz i have seen pictures of her praying like i said * mabey it was teh one that seh was a nun i still dunno*.. and i didnt know about the M lyrics either nmskalmn nice reaserch
Old 26th May 2003, 05:25 AM
too late Initiate

so we really dont know what she is just that she wrote M because she thinks of them as role models and she is interested in western stuff.

Xanga

And it never stops...
Old 26th May 2003, 06:23 AM
Banned

I think she is either Buddhist, Shintoism, or Daoism.(people seem to have forgotten about that one)
Old 26th May 2003, 08:05 AM
my name's WOMEN Initiate

Buddhism.. coz most pretty pony~pretty pony~pretty pony~ are Buddhist

Old 26th May 2003, 08:10 AM
LOVE~Destiny~H-Initiate

i don't think ayu is a christain, in fact i even doubt if she has a religion or not

most ppl in japan, even though if they ain't christian (which they ain't 'cus itz a VERY small popular in japan that are christians), like St. Mary or Jesus etc 'cus itz just a representation of the western culture in their eyes and many of them welcome western culture....especially for young girls & boys

so even though she sees mary or st joan de arc as her role model, doesn't necessarily mean shez a christian

besides, from my japanese teacher, itz extremely rare that a japanese would be a christian...

Thanks Omega Prime for the ava!!! And Delirium-Zer0 for reviving it!!
Old 26th May 2003, 01:57 PM
Connected Initiate

i think if ayu was a christian she would probably feel like she was balspheming when she dressed up as Maria and abused her powers...
i agree with what skal said... nice research m8...

A Song for XY
煽動、戦争、懺悔、告解、欺瞞、謎、愛、そして別離…。

歩き続ける 唄い続ける 辛い現実が そこに待ってても 必ず行くよキミはきっと キズつきながら そして  悲しみながら 喜びながら 進むべき道は ひとつだから
Old 2nd June 2003, 07:45 PM
appears Initiate

i like ur info nmskalmn....now i'm clear...thncxzealot...