Ayu and Religion - Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
· Ayu's Official Site · Ayu's twitter · Ayu's YouTube · masa's translations · Misa-chan's translations ·

Go Back   Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai > Ayumi Hamasaki Forums > Enquiries

Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 20th September 2005, 02:39 PM
Free & Easy H-Initiate

I have never heard that she mentioned about any religions. So I think she is not into any religions like many Japanese. But not being into any religions is not the same as not being religious at all, because there is Shintou in Japan. The main characteristics of Shintou are
1. There are many many gods in nature.
2. To wish good harvest and prosperity.
3. To value purity very much.
Shintou is in the base of Japanese culture and I think many Japanese are unconsciously Shintoic (if this word is correct). Why do the Japanese love nature? Because we think every life is important. Why are the Japanese good at manga and animation? Because we have been much interested in nature and the motions of the outer world. The easiest way to realize Shintou is to watch "Princess Mononoke" directed by Miyazaki Hayao.
And please pay attention to the point 3. To value purity (especially in a mental sense) is similar with the teaching of Christianity. Pure love and self-sacrifice is praised much in Japan just like in Christian countries. Some of you had said that Japanese young generations are attracted by Western culture. But I'd like to go farther to say that Japanese culture has had many similar points with Western culture from old days. It's much easier for us to understand Western culture than to understand Indian or Arabian culture, for example. And that's why all the movies of Miyazaki Hayao were laid in Europe and Japan.
I think I am a Shintoic person and attracted by Christianity at the same time. And I suppose she feels of herself similarly.

Last edited by masa; 20th September 2005 at 05:25 PM.