Life imitates art: Lana del Rey's 3rd Thread - Page 4 - Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
· Ayu's Official Site · Ayu's twitter · Ayu's YouTube · masa's translations · Misa-chan's translations ·

Go Back   Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai > Music Forums > General Music Chat

Notices

Old 28th May 2020, 09:38 PM
my name's WOMEN Initiate

^I think she didn't name those white women you listed because they ot backlash for those too sexy concepts. She did not say that white women donÄt do it, she said WOC do it and its okay.

Still a very immature, stupid, unthoughtful and racist/privileged thing to say. Just jshut up and do your thing or speak from yourself.
Old 29th May 2020, 09:28 AM
Born To Be... Initiate

I don't understand why she just doesn't apologize. She posted a 5 minutes video about the situation, and she keeps rambling about stuff, but doesn't say anything new (oh wait, she mentioned the album title, but I don't even remember the name) Worse: she evens end the video with; "if you don't like my post, freak off."

She clearly doesn't understand why people are mad. She compared her poledance-clip from Tropico with the Cellophane poledancing of FKA Twigs, wondering why hers was received as 'whoring' and Twigs' as 'art.' Again she drags WOC to the whole situation, and is repeating her mistake. When I check the commentary on both videos, I see lots and lots of praise. Of course there is always an hater, but why focus on that - when there is good stuff as well?; that's what keeps you going on! I really don't think FKA Twigs got better off, I even think she had to work harder and got much more backlash. But her video is so beautiful, really... You can see that she worked so damn, damn hard to get this amazing result.

I want Lana to focus, or get off social media. The vague poems she is posting, while you are looking at a palm tree or her feet for circa 6 minutes long, doesn't do it for me. BORING! But the fact that she gets lots of fans commenting on it, loving whatever she is saying, should be the reason to go on. Not to impress or overwhelm other artists... especially WOC. Leave everyone alone.

Last edited by xLuna&1LOVE; 29th May 2020 at 09:30 AM.
Old 25th March 2023, 09:08 PM
Born To Be... Initiate

Ay!, the whole General Music Chat is dead AF. However, Lana Del Rey released Did you know there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvrd last Friday and it is such a masterpiece that I just had to revive this thread, and hopefully find somebody to share and compare thoughts with.

I am going to make a double post and share the info of her latest release(s). I see I haven't done that for Chemtrails and Blue Banisters as well - so I will share those in another post, but then I am planning to focus on the hype, which is the new album!

P.s. before this thread, our chat ended abruptly with a bitter end. I won't change my mind about how bad Lana handled the situation back then, but I am glad she is in a place where she makes music from the heart and stopped comparing herself or calling out others. It took a while, but I am back being Lana-fan ~yay!

Old 25th March 2023, 09:54 PM
Born To Be... Initiate

Recap releases 2020 - 2022

- 2020 -

Summertime The Gershwin Version
Release date: 19.11.2020

01. Summertime The Gershwin Version

- 2021 -

Chemtrails Over The Country Club
Release date: 19.03.2021

1. White Dress
2. Chemtrails over the Country Club
3. Tulsa Jesus Freak
4. Let Me Love You like a Woman + Live on Late Night with Kimmy Fallon Version
5. Wild at Heart
6. Dark but Just a Game
7. Not All Who Wander Are Lost
8. Yosemite
9. Breaking Up Slowly (featuring Nikki Lane)
10. Dance Till We Die
11. For Free (featuring Zella Day and Weyes Blood; Joni Mitchell cover)

Blue Banisters
Release date: 22.10.21

1. Text Book
2. Blue Banisters
3. Arcadia + Alternate Video Version
4. Interlude - The Trio -
5. Black Bathing Suit
6. If You Lie Down With Me
7. Beautiful
8. Violets For Roses
9. Dealer
10. Thunder
11. Wildflower Wildfire
12. Nectar Of The Gods
13. Living Legend
14. Cherry Blossom
15. Sweet Carolina

- 2022 -

Watercolor Eyes ("From Euphoria an HBO Original Series"
Release date: 21.01.22

1. Watercolor Eyes ("From Euphoria an HBO Original Series")

Old 25th March 2023, 10:31 PM
Born To Be... Initiate

New Album 2023

Did you know there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd
Release date: 24.03.2023

Covers

Spoiler:

Tracklist
1. The Grants
2. Did you know there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd
3. Sweet
4. A&W
5. Judah Smith Interlude
6. Candy Necklace (featuring Jon Batiste)
7. Jon Batiste Interlude
8. Kintsugi
9. Fingertips
10. Paris, Texas (featuring SYML)
11. Grandfather please stand on the shoulders of my father while he's deep sea fishing (featuring RIOPY)
12. Let The Light In (featuring Father John Misty)
13. Margaret (featuring Bleachers)
14. Fishtail
15. Peppers (featuring Tommy Genesis)
16. Taco Truck x VB

Cool other info + links
1. Interview Magazine - Lana Del Rey interviewed by Billie Eiilish
2. Lana Del Rey Accepts 2023 Billboard Women in Music Visionary Award
3. Pitchfork Rates New Lana Del Rey Album With 8.3
4. Neil Krug Photoshoot and Outtakes
5. Lana Del Rey Poses for Rolling Stone and Interview

Old 25th March 2023, 11:20 PM
Born To Be... Initiate

Okay, okay... I'm done sharing all the info I know about the new album. So now, I'm gonna do what we all do on this forum: sharing (my) thoughts.

With her previous two albums (and some parts of NFR as well, Lana was already pushing this new image of her "going back to her roots, her memories, her family and friends, the simple domestic life". From being very (over) produced to more simple musical arrangements with only a guitar or piano supporting her beautiful vocals, it was something I had to learn to adjust to.

So when I heard the title track of the new album, it felt a bit generic. After NFR, she released two entire albums with the kind of vibe, so I was hoping for something more interesting.
A&W however, was instant love. I am quite contradicting myself, because the song has that same toned-down, only guitar & piano supporting vocals arrangement. It was like Hope is a dangerous thing found her lost, darker sister. Even though I never really much cared about "HIADTFAWTH", A&W was truely haunting before it suddenly transits to the sassy "Jimmy" part. I loved this part too for being a element of surprise.

I was looking forward to the album, checked Instagram daily for updates and really loved the different album covers and general vibe to it. It has been a while I have been looking forward to anything, so it was great to experience this again. But then The Grants as single release was quite lacklusting. It works as album leading track though, but... come on. I was already preparing myself for another simple album, and expected songs like Kintsugi & Fingerprints as some sort of poetry reading, a bit like Violet Bend Over The Grass type of stuff. (Glad she did not...)
But in the end, Lana delivered very beautiful songs. Her collaborators, mostly pianists, composed very beautiful, dreamy melodies. It felt like every song was so personal, but she is finally to let you, the listener, in her little bubble, her own world / wanderland.

I love in particular: A&W, Candy Necklace (holy cow, this song is good!), Fishtail, Grandfather (bit bummed that RIOPYs collaboration is a sample and not an original composed for Lana, but still... it blends so beautifully with her vocals) Taco Truck x VB, and especially, Paris, Texas

The music is beautiful, her lyrics are out of this world... and I never felt so closer to her as before. I think this album is truely a masterpiece.

So now I am finally done with spamming in this thread, but I woud love to know your thoughts!

Old 6th April 2023, 05:36 AM
INSPIRE Initiate

heeeeey i feel ya!! lana fan here <3

i'm so happy about this new album and all the fuss around it, it's definetly one of her best works if not the best indeed, the whole thing just fits itself so neat. In my opinion, Tunnel (i like how J. Antonoff is referring to it like this, to summarize things u know ^^") is the conception of something that binds the entire "LDR universe" into lyricism and poetry, amazing voice, it's simple, yet personal ellaborated.

I'm in love with the artwork too!!! That photographer does an awesome job!! Thinking about purchasing a set of 3 limited cd album covers

As for the songs, my top picks are: Tunnel (title track) and everything from A&W on.

But ok: Let the light In, Taco Truck x VB, Fishtail

and hey, i'm going to her concert!! it'll be on june 3 in Sao Paulo, i'm really excited since it's going to be my second time watching her live, first time was back in 2018 at Lollapalooza Brazil.

ps: Thank you for the thread, i was really thinking about creating one haha

Last edited by brener; 25th August 2023 at 03:42 PM.