Your Ayu origin story - Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
· Ayu's Official Site · Ayu's twitter · Ayu's YouTube · masa's translations · Misa-chan's translations ·

Go Back   Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai > Ayumi Hamasaki Forums > Ayu Chat-Room

Notices

Old 12th July 2022, 11:49 AM
my name's WOMEN Initiate

Your Ayu origin story

How did you find Ayu?

I'm sure there's many different and many interesting stories, especially with Ayu fans spread through all the furthest corners of the planet.

I discovered Ayu on a Sunday in March of 2003 (the 16th, I believe) at 18 years old. That morning I had been listening to one of my favourite soundtracks to one of my favourite video games, Yasunori Mitsuda's Chrono Cross. As much as I loved that soundtrack, I was in the habit of skipping the one vocal track it featured (called Radical Dreamers ~ Unstolen Jewel in one of its translations) - not because I didn't like it, but because I for some other reason thought I wouldn't like it. Nonsense of course, but this was the state of the world just before I discovered Ayu later that day; of course, it would never be the same.

As I was tidying my room and playing the Chrono Cross soundtrack, at some point I found myself too far from the CD player to skip the vocal track as it came up, and I thus found myself listening to it properly for the first time by accident. I was awestruck. How the hell had I skipped this track for so long? It was beautiful! I must've listened to it a whole bunch of times that day and started craving more. Unfamiliar with other music like it and not knowing how to find more of it, I started looking for what I assumed might be it: J-pop. After all, it was pleasant Japanese vocal music. J-pop seemed a fair bet.

I remember it being just before dinner time (around 5 in the afternoon, we eat fairly early dinner in The Netherlands), my parents cooking in the kitchen, me at the family computer in the middle of the living room, firing up KaZaA - then the P2P-program of choice, after Napster and Audiogalaxy had gone down and just before I discovered DC++ - and typing in J-pop to see what I could find. A host of files popped up and I downloaded a bunch at random, picking two per artist that I could discern. I distinctly remember a few things: that I definitely downloaded tracks of Hikki, Ayu and BoA; that the first J-pop song I then listened to was a Hikki song (but I don't remember which, just that I didn't care for it); and that I then put on SEASONS and was instantly, utterly and completely sold for life.

I proceeded to delete all the other (non-Ayu) tracks, and downloaded as many other Ayu songs as I could then find to add to those two I had downloaded initially (in addition to SEASONS, I had also downloaded AUDIENCE). I spent the rest of my evening, after dinner, listening to those tracks on end and browsing the web to find more information about this wonderful Ayumi Hamasaki. I had never had an artist crush before (naturally, since most of my listening before that consisted of hairy punk and metal dudes), but Ayu floored me instantly and entirely. At the end of the night, I had read up on Ayu's history, amassed a wealth of awesome pics (I loved the Uraayu ones most of all) and burnt a selection of tracks to a CDr that I kept next to my bed that night as I fell asleep.

Spoiler:
The tracklist of that CDr (which, for its fairly uninformed composition - what did I even know back then? - I still absolutely LOVE, sequencing and all):

1. SEASONS
2. Boys & Girls
3. End of the World
4. ever free
5. AUDIENCE
6. Daybreak
7. still alone
8. evolution
9. Flower Garden
10. Far away
11. HANABI
12. July 1st
13. POWDER SNOW (AOV, but I didn't know back then - bit of a shocker when I heard the original)
14. As if...
15. Trauma
16. Trust
17. Wishing

Spoiler:
And the cover, inlay and disc itself - it's suffered a bit, evidently, but it's almost 20 years old (and still works!):

How about everyone else?
Old 12th July 2022, 01:02 PM
TO BE Initiate

ayu was a hidden jem for me. I first listened to j-pop in 2008. I was in an emotional crisis and watched some "nonsense videos" that were just stupid snippets from shows and were overlayed with J-Pop music. I downloaded 4 of them, Utada Hikarus >>wait and see<<, Ayaka Hiraharas >>voyagers<<, Aoyama Thelmas >>soba ni iru ne<< and Ayus >>heaven<<.
I liked the songs but had no idea who these artists were.

Some day, I googled "Japans best artist" and, of course, Ayu was in it. so I looked into my mp3 player and saw that I have been listening to some song of hers. I listened to quite an amount of songs and fell in love to end roll, blue bird or mirrocle world.
Her next level album was about to be released and it was my first release. NEXT LEVEL (the song) helped me through a lot of personal crisis. Since then, I have never let go from her. Her opening performance during the cdl 09-10 with I am is still legendary for me.
I enyoed her road to 50th single, her mini albums and full length albums. Sixxxxx had a huge impact on me, 3 song winter single and a one as well. I shared so much with ayu.

I want to turn into a flower, grow thorns,
wither, fall and rot away
Don’t pick me up, leave me
Forget me

Old 12th July 2022, 01:59 PM
BEST Initiate

My Ayu story also starts with KaZaA!

Years ago I was a member of a Gameboy Advance forum (lol) and made a lot of friends there, including a girl who went by the username kenage at the time. She lived in California and was very into Japanese music, games, etc. As we were talking one day she suggested I download the video for Ayu's Kanariya from KaZaA, saying that it was her new single. This was early ~2001 so it was actually not new anymore, and Duty was still relatively new at that point. I also downloaded Hikki's Can You Keep a Secret? video at the same time.

I had been into anime and her a lot of music from shows, but not real J-Pop at that point. I remember I went back and forth between Ayu and Hikki for a while in the early days, but Ayu soon won out. I was so enamored with the Kanariya video, and I downloaded everything I could find of hers, bought a few things from eBay, etc. And I've never looked back.
Old 12th July 2022, 03:42 PM
SCAR Initiate

I've always enjoyed animes and games' japanese openings and endings (Pokémon, DragonBall GT...), but two specific songs caught my attention at that time and both were related to the same franchise: Yae's Kazenon for FF Crystal Chronicles (GameCube), and Kumi's real emotion for FFX2. I used to watch those teasers in heavy rotation just for the music but I never took time to explore more of Yae and Kumi's discography...

Forward to september 2004: I was assigned a project in high school (for english class, which is my 3rd language) to present a music style and an artist from the world, so I rushed to japanese music (obviously, duh!), typed Jpop in Wikipedia (there wasn't Youtube yet at that moment), and chose Ayu because of her impressive achievements. I remember CAROLS was about to be released, the official website was playing a snippet from the MV and I think it was just love at first sight. The scene on the merry-go-round alone was enough to convince me to stan that woman, CAROLS is still to this day my top1 ballad... xD Then came MY STORY and I remember all the excitement when she was dropping walking proud and Humming 7/4... Ayu's still my #1 artist since 18 years, no one could ever come near that spot, that alone is an achievement...

Just the beginning -20- TOUR 2017 - Chapter 2 ~sacrifice~ @ Chiba [2017/11/21]
Just the beginning -20- TOUR 2017 - Chapter 3 @ Nara [2017/12/03]
21st anniversary ~POWER of A^3~ @ Saitama [2019/04/06]
21st anniversary ~POWER of A^3~ @ Saitama [2019/04/07]
MUSIC for LIFE ~return~ @ mu-mo LIVE digital streaming [2021/07/01]
Old 12th July 2022, 07:29 PM
Two of us Initiate

I've posted "my" story years ago but happy to repeat it here.

I've always been interested in streaming video, long before streaming services were a thing. I was always on the lookout for random sites streaming (typically) news, as I always thought it was interesting to hear about world events being told from completely different perspectives. And hearing about things that - here in Canada - local news outlets wouldn't bother reporting at all.

So one day I found some random site - I couldn't remember the name even if I tried, it's long been shut down...it had dozens of pages each with dozens of links for videos originating from all over the world and covering things like news, sports, TV series, movies...quite the treasure trove, although it was a rather nasty site that didn't shy away from showing endless popups. One link caught my attention - it had a title that read something like "watch live Japanese superstars". My immediate thought was, that could be interesting - I have no idea who the equivalent to a household name like Madonna might be in Japan, and was curious to find out whether I might have heard of any of these "superstars". So I started watching - and going back to it day after day. It didn't take long for me to realize that (a) obviously none of it was live (b) it was all music videos, not concerts as I thought the title might have been inferring and (c) after I started paying attention, I realized the named artist was always the same - although she looked quite different in every video, so had I just casually glanced at the videos rather than looking for the name, it would've taken a long time for me to realize this was all the same person - someone by the name of "Ayumi Hamasaki". Never heard of her.

Once I saw the name, I started googling...found her discography...downloaded a lot of MP3s...and was so impressed that over time, not only had I purchased *all* of her full-length albums, but also all EPs and some remix albums...then moved onto *all* of her yearly concert tours and live countdowns. So that little bit of streaming resulted in me buying essentially her entire catalog.
Old 13th July 2022, 11:11 AM
my name's WOMEN Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Next_Level29 View Post
ayu was a hidden jem for me. I first listened to j-pop in 2008. I was in an emotional crisis and watched some "nonsense videos" that were just stupid snippets from shows and were overlayed with J-Pop music. I downloaded 4 of them, Utada Hikarus >>wait and see<<, Ayaka Hiraharas >>voyagers<<, Aoyama Thelmas >>soba ni iru ne<< and Ayus >>heaven<<.
I liked the songs but had no idea who these artists were.

Some day, I googled "Japans best artist" and, of course, Ayu was in it. so I looked into my mp3 player and saw that I have been listening to some song of hers. I listened to quite an amount of songs and fell in love to end roll, blue bird or mirrocle world.
Her next level album was about to be released and it was my first release. NEXT LEVEL (the song) helped me through a lot of personal crisis. Since then, I have never let go from her. Her opening performance during the cdl 09-10 with I am is still legendary for me.
I enyoed her road to 50th single, her mini albums and full length albums. Sixxxxx had a huge impact on me, 3 song winter single and a one as well. I shared so much with ayu.
Awesome! Just curious where you are from? The fact that you would just happen to come across something with Jpop in it was, at least back when I got into Ayu, entirely unthinkable, but of course that may depend on where you're based.

Quote:
Originally Posted by voltron View Post
My Ayu story also starts with KaZaA!
Haha, awesome! I'm sure all the piracy back then we had to do just to discover our favourite artists ultimately paid back aplenty - I also bought quite a few Ayu things back then, with what little budget my student self had.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sim' View Post
Forward to september 2004: I was assigned a project in high school (for english class, which is my 3rd language) to present a music style and an artist from the world, so I rushed to japanese music (obviously, duh!), typed Jpop in Wikipedia (there wasn't Youtube yet at that moment), and chose Ayu because of her impressive achievements. I remember CAROLS was about to be released, the official website was playing a snippet from the MV and I think it was just love at first sight. The scene on the merry-go-round alone was enough to convince me to stan that woman, CAROLS is still to this day my top1 ballad... xD Then came MY STORY and I remember all the excitement when she was dropping walking proud and Humming 7/4... Ayu's still my #1 artist since 18 years, no one could ever come near that spot, that alone is an achievement...
Super cool! What is your second language? (I assume French is your first.) What a time to get into Ayu, huh? I can so much remember the excitement when new things would drop and then rushing to Yesasia to order them, haha. Great times. And yes, 19 years down the line for me, if I was asked who my favourite artist is I would definitely still say Ayu!

Quote:
Originally Posted by _dandy_ View Post
after I started paying attention, I realized the named artist was always the same - although she looked quite different in every video, so had I just casually glanced at the videos rather than looking for the name, it would've taken a long time for me to realize this was all the same person - someone by the name of "Ayumi Hamasaki". Never heard of her.

Once I saw the name, I started googling...found her discography...downloaded a lot of MP3s...and was so impressed that over time, not only had I purchased *all* of her full-length albums, but also all EPs and some remix albums...then moved onto *all* of her yearly concert tours and live countdowns. So that little bit of streaming resulted in me buying essentially her entire catalog.
Haha, such an awesome story too!

Again, all those little tasters - KaZaA, streaming - must have lined Avex' pockets quite a bit!

Last edited by sxesven; 13th July 2022 at 11:16 AM.
Old 13th July 2022, 03:02 PM
TO BE Initiate

[QUOTE=sxesven;3351741]Awesome! Just curious where you are from? The fact that you would just happen to come across something with Jpop in it was, at least back when I got into Ayu, entirely unthinkable, but of course that may depend on where you're based.

I'm from Germany. In Germany, a lot of people and kids were watching (and probably are still) animes. The kids program was full of animes. from 12AM to 6PM. I totally think that a lot of people came across jpop without knowing. :-)

I want to turn into a flower, grow thorns,
wither, fall and rot away
Don’t pick me up, leave me
Forget me

Old 13th July 2022, 04:58 PM
my name's WOMEN Initiate

Nice! We definitely had Japanese animated shows here, but true anime was rarer until Dragonball Z got very popular when I was around 16. Even then, it does not seem to have spurred much interest back then (especially not in Jpop), though I see a lot of my students now that are into anime or Kpop (usually these are not the same kids though, haha).
Old 19th July 2022, 08:34 PM
Voyage Initiate

I became an Ayu fan in 2004 after listening to Hikki, BoA & Kuu, Ayu seemed like the next logical step. Got to admit I was a bit wary after reading about her vocals but thought I should give her a go. I was in a bit of a ballad mood after enjoying BoA's Winding Road and fell in love with the A Ballads cover. after looking up her albums for reviews on YesAsia.

As soon as I heard the opening of Rainbow I was in even if this was the only song I liked on the album. I love the CD booklet and design too - so elegant! And I've been a fan ever since.

Also I love how your origin story ties into Chrono Cross - I am currently playing it for the first time!

Last edited by mi|kshake; 19th July 2022 at 08:42 PM.
Old 20th July 2022, 12:01 AM
LIMIT Initiate

My origin was really simple. I was a kid, 10-12 probably, staying up too late to watch Inu-Yasha (my favorite anime at the time) on Adult Swim. I heard "Dearest" for the first time and thought it was really pretty. I think, at first, I was more into the Do As Infinity stuff (so Fukai Mori and Shinjitsu no Uta), but I did some early internet research on who these songs and performers were. I remember finding a website solely dedicated to Rumiko Takahashi and all her works (InuYasha included).There was a whole section dedicated to the singers / bands that provided songs for the series. I found out Ayu's name and found more songs from there. I remember very distinctly going on Windows Media Player (y'all, this was the early 2000's, okay?) and looking her up and finding "M" and "evolution". I loved "evolution" right away, but was absolutely gobsmacked at "M". I literally thought it was the most beautiful song I had ever heard. I've kinda been obsessed with Ayu ever since lol
Old 20th July 2022, 11:29 AM
my name's WOMEN Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by mi|kshake View Post
As soon as I heard the opening of Rainbow I was in even if this was the only song I liked on the album. I love the CD booklet and design too - so elegant! And I've been a fan ever since.
I can imagine, the RAINBOW artwork is my favourite to this day. I also remember being amazed at the song itself (and the bit of confusion over how RAINBOW, the song, was NOT on RAINBOW, the album, haha).

Quote:
Also I love how your origin story ties into Chrono Cross - I am currently playing it for the first time!
Oh, wow, I hope you're enjoying it! It's probably still my favourite game of all time. Everything about is just massively amazing. The first time I played it I was 15 and I played it with a friend, it was so much fun. I've played it a bunch of times since and I also really enjoyed watching a great Let's Play of it (by lucahjin).

I'm curious, how did you encounter Hikki, BoA and Kuu? While I had a vague notion of the existence of J-pop I knew nothing about it (let alone any artists) and my infatuation was just the lucky result of downloading randomly some stuff in KaZaA. I didn't even know where to look though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizzylovesongaku View Post
My origin was really simple. I was a kid, 10-12 probably, staying up too late to watch Inu-Yasha (my favorite anime at the time) on Adult Swim. I heard "Dearest" for the first time and thought it was really pretty. I think, at first, I was more into the Do As Infinity stuff (so Fukai Mori and Shinjitsu no Uta), but I did some early internet research on who these songs and performers were. I remember finding a website solely dedicated to Rumiko Takahashi and all her works (InuYasha included).There was a whole section dedicated to the singers / bands that provided songs for the series. I found out Ayu's name and found more songs from there. I remember very distinctly going on Windows Media Player (y'all, this was the early 2000's, okay?) and looking her up and finding "M" and "evolution". I loved "evolution" right away, but was absolutely gobsmacked at "M". I literally thought it was the most beautiful song I had ever heard. I've kinda been obsessed with Ayu ever since lol
Super cool. So young too! Thinking back to these times on the internet is so nostalgic, haha. Uncovering something like Ayu was like finding a rare gem, you made your way through this web of obscure fanpages and websites to arrive at - well, who knew? (Ayu for all of us, fortunately )

Last edited by sxesven; 20th July 2022 at 11:33 AM.
Old 21st July 2022, 08:50 AM
Because of You Initiate

I discovered ayu when she released YOU and then I didn't follow her up until she released LOVEppears. At the time, the almost naked album cover / single cover were really big deal.

And then I met a group of ayu fans in Hong Kong on a MSN newsgroup (For those who doesn't know what it is: You need to use Outlook to connect it, and tt stopped at 2002)
https://www.cnet.com/tech/services-a...group-support/

However, the group members had lots of drama when ayu visited Hong Kong for the first time. One or two guys took all the group members budget / prints to support ayu and organize to show ayu only for them (these two guys). These two guys threw member's gift for ayu and did not give them to ayu when they met ayu. Many group members were pissed and tried to approach ayu to complain.

Around the same time, I joined this site, and we had the joke about EGG in I am... era. We got the rumor about the 4th album called NATURAL with a song called EGG.

Put my mouth on the lyrics like CPR

Old 21st July 2022, 12:35 PM
my name's WOMEN Initiate

Good times

Damn, you were an early adopter! Crazy. Do you remember how you came across YOU or was it just around? (You're from HK I guess?)
Old 21st July 2022, 02:21 PM
SURREAL Initiate

I was like 5 or 6 years old, around 2000, my brother was already in high school and into anime/japanese music so I got interested as well at that age, we were a lot into L'arc en Ciel at the time (well, still we are lol) and one day he got a VHS from a friend with some L'arc MVs and some others jrock/jpop random ones. YOU and Trust MVs (not sure about Trust, memory is foggy tbh but I remember clearly YOU and another Ayu MV) were in that VHS and it was instant love, some years later when Internet become more accessible where I lived it was a matter of time I remembered that "cute japanese singer" from the VHS and started looking for her until I found her and never stopped loving her since then
Old 21st July 2022, 03:45 PM
my name's WOMEN Initiate

Ha, awesome, and so young!

Also, damn, L'arc en Ciel, I've not heard that name in a long time, going to check out some of their stuff again! :3
Old 22nd July 2022, 07:40 AM
Because of You Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by sxesven View Post
Good times

Damn, you were an early adopter! Crazy. Do you remember how you came across YOU or was it just around? (You're from HK I guess?)
sort of, been away the jail city many years.
tbh, I discovered YOU at Yahoo.co.jp auction when I tried to find sailor moon, saint seiya merch... LMAO

What got me attention at the time was the small size CD.. I was like "wow Japan always has something different... well weird.. how to play this CD?"

Put my mouth on the lyrics like CPR

Old 23rd July 2022, 09:40 AM
WHATEVER Initiate

I first discovered Ayu in 2012 (either May or June).

I was listening to Ivi Adamou’s “Sose Me” on YouTube and scrolling the comments, and I saw a comment saying “Ayumi Hamasaki’s version is better, it’s called Tell Me Why”, so I looked up the song and found it on YouTube with a lyrics version and I was completely obsessed.

I was just about to start high school at the time, so I decided to take Japanese as a subject for my exams and then went on to study Japanese in college and am currently living in Tokyo! My entire life pivoted from reading that YouTube comment. If the person who wrote that on Ivi Adamou’s MV is on this forum, I owe them so much for how my life has turned out.
Old 23rd July 2022, 03:00 PM
Initiate

I discovered Ayu in early 2005, I was 19 (now 36 !) I had a blog about manga and Japan and in my research of japanese music (I already listened to music from animes) I discovered "evolution". I thought it was weird at the first time ! I really fell for Ayu with Step You which was just released ! I started listening to all her discography, I searched for information...

And finally, one year later, I opened my first website about her (Ayu Paradise). I always think it is my love for Ayu who helped me to become who I am and do what I love the most in life and in my job.
Old 23rd July 2022, 05:36 PM
my name's WOMEN Initiate

Such cool stories again!

Damn, Irish_Ayu_Fan, that's insane! To think that it was just that single comment, hah, incredible. I wonder if you'll ever find out who it was, they might have roamed these forums at some point!

CeReSu, super cool, so much respect for all the people who ran these amazing websites back in the 00s - they were incredible resources for everyone, I'm sure. I certainly relied on them heavily! (Divine Ayu was my most frequented!)
Old 24th July 2022, 05:56 AM
from your letter Initiate

I discovered Ayu in 2018. After researching her discography in Wikipedia, I started to have interest on her music. To know her music in a more abridged and summarized way, I searched on YouTube for her CMs. This is the first video I've watched from her. It helped me analyze how her music keeps growing on and on starting from her debut to the present time.

https://youtu.be/P636jZXFCnY

After watching the CM collection video, I listen to her music bit by bit. I started at her debut album A Song for XX, which up until now, it's still my favorite album overall. Then, I searched Ayu's appearance in variety shows. And one of them is Ayuready. I saw how she's very energetic, polite, and bubbly towards her guest in her show. My favorite episode was with Every Little Thing. And as of now, she's still my most favorite J-pop singer aside from other artists like Utada Hikaru, Namie Amuro, Seiko Matsuda, Akina Nakamori, Mr.Children, Glay, L'Arc~en~ciel, and Every Little Thing.

Ayu-fan since 2018