Displaying your collection - Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
· Ayu's Official Site · Ayu's twitter · Ayu's YouTube · masa's translations · Misa-chan's translations ·

Go Back   Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai > Ayumi Hamasaki Forums > Ayu Chat-Room

Notices

Old 20th July 2022, 01:51 PM
my name's WOMEN Initiate

Question Displaying your collection

How do you solve this?

I'm sure that if you have an Ayu collection it is visible somewhere (but perhaps it isn't, perhaps you're strapped for space and it's in boxes!), sitting on a shelf to be proudly displayed for all to see.

What do you do with your obis? Do you put them in the cases to safeguard them? The downside of course is then that for the singles, generally speaking, you just see the empty spine of a jewelcase, since they don't tend to have inlays (and even if for the CD+DVD versions, there is only an inlay in one half of the case). For display this is a bit underwhelming. Also, some don't fit in their cases: I've been dragging around a plastic folder with obis that don't fit in their releases through a bunch of moves, including I am...'s massive obi, for instance.

So perhaps the solution is to put them on display with the obis on their side. Problem solved: you don't have to keep them separately, and every release also has a visible spine! There's also downsides, however: it's not too practical if you use your collection too much, since you then always find yourself fiddling with the obis (of course, streaming solves much of this issue; I've also seen the solution of taping the obi to the case - the stores in Chinatown here did this with all the releases that had obis that they sold). Another (aesthetic) problem I find is that some spines actually look quite pretty, but then the obi just has plain black and white text on its side. It's almost a shame to put the obi in, since it looks so nice without.

Tips and tricks?

(Yes, I am reshuffling my own CD collection-on-display )

Last edited by sxesven; 20th July 2022 at 02:01 PM.
Old 20th July 2022, 02:05 PM
BEST Initiate

I don't display my CDs anymore, but when I used to collect them more I would buy these plastic obi adhesive sleeves that attach to the case with a sticky back, and then you put the obi inside. I can't remember if they have a specific name or not, or if they're something you can even still buy.
Old 20th July 2022, 02:15 PM
my name's WOMEN Initiate

Sounds nice, if anyone knows any details on this that would be great!

I just bought a bunch of second-hand releases and they all came in plastic sleeves which fit fairly niely; I considered leaving them in, but most had a crease or fold on the spine, so in the end it didn't make for very nice displaying, unfortunately.
Old 20th July 2022, 02:28 PM
BEST Initiate

Here's one of them from my old overseas edition of Duty so you can kind of get the idea
https://imgur.com/a/dqJVQaP
Old 20th July 2022, 03:05 PM
my name's WOMEN Initiate

Oh damn, that is such a neat solution!