[Koda Kumi] The 176th Thread - 15th Anniversary - Page 26 - Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
· Ayu's Official Site · Ayu's twitter · Ayu's YouTube · masa's translations · Misa-chan's translations ·

Go Back   Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai > Music Forums > Asian Music Chat > Artists & Bands

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 17th June 2015, 12:09 AM
Initiate

Yes, for the music video and live, she's just singing and doind nothing.
Since I'm into dance and stuff, if the song is okay but the choreography is nice (like V.I.P.) I start to like the song a little more.
Old 17th June 2015, 03:28 AM
fairyland Initiate

Be My Babya and Shake Hip are two of my favorites The songs are amazing on their own, but I love the dancing!!

Old 17th June 2015, 05:05 AM
Trauma Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by happiholic★ View Post
I just respect that Kuu writes the vast majority of her lyrics, or, at the very least, will re write her demos to make them hers. Added to the fact that she self produces and is an amazing dancer/performer, I would say Kuu is a very well rounded artist. I have so much respect for her, her passion is really evident. And I think that's why fans are quick to jump on anyone who tries to discredit her, even if they are a fan themselves. People are always putting Kuu down as a lesser artist, for her sexier image, singing skills, etc. Its frustrating, because there are plenty of other singers who don't participate nearly as much as Kuu does in her music, and they are hailed as being superior, usually because their overall sales are better, have a less controversial image, or they simply like the songs better. So, yeah, its just frustrating to see people acting like she's some third rate pop star, when her passion clearly says otherwise, and I think that's why fans jump down anyone's throat, even when it's an innocent comment by another fan.
I don't really think Kumi writes most of her song just because her name is there in the "words" part of the booklet... just like Beyoncé doesn't.

I respect Kumi as a singer and performer but I have a really hard time considering her a "well rounded artist". She does have a nice voice, and I really love the fact that she has a lot of control over her image and career, but I have huge problems with her last releases ever since Deja vu. The impression that I have is that she just buy bulks of demos, releases them and keep recording/releasing generic songs like there's no tomorrow.

She doesn't compose songs and, for me, merely "writing" or changing some words in songs is not enough. Yeah, she did write WOML which is nice, but HOTEL is there too and the lyrics are so bad.

I'm not judging the sales or image, I just think she handles the package very nicely (like the concerts, the promo pics, PVs) but for the real content/music she doesn't put that much effort. The demos already have melodies, the instrumental is already finished and, based on the ones I heard, much of the original lyrics are kept in her versions.

For example, I consider Utada a true artist because 100% of the songs she releases comes from her, just like I used to not consider BoA an artist because she merely sung what was given to her and wrote songs every now and then, gladly, this changed for her.

I'm not saying Hikki or BoA are better than Kumi, but since this is a forum, I thought I could share my opinion on the matter. In short, I myself have problems calling Kumi an artist because I don't see her making her music from scratch and the quality of her material is decreasing (imo).

I wasn't meaning to disrespect anyone, just wanted to share my thoughts and talk about it

Old 17th June 2015, 07:02 AM
my name's WOMEN Initiate

^you stepped on thin ice. Trying to define "artist" is problematic. There are painter who never holded a brush, yet they are hailed in the scene.
I'm an teacher for art here in Germany, and what makes the artist today is the "idea", not the way it is carried out anymore.

An actor can also be called artist, yet what does he do? "only" act

edit:

Six activities, services or functions of contemporary artists:

Create places for some human purpose.
Create extraordinary versions of ordinary objects.
Record and commemorate.
Give tangible form to the unknown.
Give tangible form to feelings.
Refresh our vision and help see the world in new ways.

Last edited by thinkingoutloud89; 17th June 2015 at 07:35 AM.
Old 17th June 2015, 10:17 AM
INSPIRE Initiate

Wasn't Hikki the one who titled her album after the first song that played when she pressed the "random" button?

They both are artists, they just have different focuses of delivery, you don't need to build everything and be serious all the time to be an artist. It's like what they say about being fluent in a language: It's not about being able to use lots of refined words and complex grammar structures, but knowing WHEN doing this or not

instagram | last.fm | tumblr | jpop tumblr | twitter | peeproom | goodreads

Old 17th June 2015, 10:20 AM
Two of us Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeakira View Post
I've been searching all over ahs but I can't find it. I only have a few of the demos. i think it was called "Best ~Westernesque~" or something like that. I'll keep looking for it, although even if I do find it, I doubt the link still works.
Yay, someone remembers something I made/did 3 years ago. And the link still works.

I've since found Just The Way You Are, as well as the WoML demo's so may update it.

Old 17th June 2015, 01:33 PM
Initiate

Update on WOML sales (source; baidu)
293 ***,197
Total:49,771

It's all Love all over again. haha

I'm not gonna even coment on how "well rounded" Kumi is because this whole discussion is getting tired. Bye Felicia.
Old 17th June 2015, 03:14 PM
fairyland Initiate

The second Utada gets brought into a discussion about artistry I'm done. I cannot stand any of that woman's music. You can preach to me until you're blue in the face about how she's so involved in her music and my only response is maybe she should hire some one else to do it, because I my opinion she sucks at it. I stand by my earlier statement, but really the topic is subjective.

In other news, I am SO pumped for Kuu at a-nation. She is my Summer Queen.

Old 17th June 2015, 03:37 PM
appears Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by happiholic★ View Post
The second Utada gets brought into a discussion about artistry I'm done. I cannot stand any of that woman's music. You can preach to me until you're blue in the face about how she's so involved in her music and my only response is maybe she should hire some one else to do it, because I my opinion she sucks at it. I stand by my earlier statement, but really the topic is subjective.

In other news, I am SO pumped for Kuu at a-nation. She is my Summer Queen.
Well, I totally respect good and bad perspectives on Kuu, Ayu, Name, and Utada. I think everyone has made good points.

With respect to Utada, I loved her until this hiatus. I miss her often, but I'm more sad that she isn't remotely committed to her fans anymore. It was a fun few releases with her, but I have to stop myself feeling upset when I listen to her music these days.

Some of Kuus stuff gets very old, even when it's still fresh. But what I love about Kuu is there is always something new. The same energy still fills her performances and songs and being Kuu, I imagine, must be far more exhausting than being another artist. She does so much. I didn't like Kuu much until a couple years ago, but I always checked on her since Black Cherry.

And, the thing here, is that I feel the same way about Kuu that I feel about Ayu: They should sell better, they should have more fans, and they should have more investment in their PVs and albums and performances. And they should be in a dozen CMs every month.

I can't complain much with respect to Kuu or Ayu. I bitch about little details, but I always stick around. Hell, I even kept listening to Last minute after I hated it. Lol

-> <-
Old 17th June 2015, 03:52 PM
As if.. Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by orbitalaspect View Post
Well, I totally respect good and bad perspectives on Kuu, Ayu, Name, and Utada. I think everyone has made good points.

With respect to Utada, I loved her until this hiatus. I miss her often, but I'm more sad that she isn't remotely committed to her fans anymore. It was a fun few releases with her, but I have to stop myself feeling upset when I listen to her music these days.

Some of Kuus stuff gets very old, even when it's still fresh. But what I love about Kuu is there is always something new. The same energy still fills her performances and songs and being Kuu, I imagine, must be far more exhausting than being another artist. She does so much. I didn't like Kuu much until a couple years ago, but I always checked on her since Black Cherry.

And, the thing here, is that I feel the same way about Kuu that I feel about Ayu: They should sell better, they should have more fans, and they should have more investment in their PVs and albums and performances. And they should be in a dozen CMs every month.

I can't complain much with respect to Kuu or Ayu. I bitch about little details, but I always stick around. Hell, I even kept listening to Last minute after I hated it. Lol
At least they experienced that a lot already. There are plenty of great deserving artists that didn't get a fraction of the recognition and success they had and still have.
Not that I don't want them to still be successful or whatever but it's only natural since they're not on their peak anymore and music trends are always changing
Old 17th June 2015, 04:03 PM
Initiate

I even think it is better now since they have more freedom about their image and music style. Kumi said herself that she is singing songs that she wants to sing, and not because she has too. And I think this is the same case for Ayu, I mean, after WARNING, I think it's pretty safe to assume she is doing what she wants and she's happy with.
Old 17th June 2015, 05:33 PM
Trauma Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustavopc View Post
Wasn't Hikki the one who titled her album after the first song that played when she pressed the "random" button?
No. She named "First Love" because since it was her first album, it was like a "first experience ou love" for her, so she chose that name. "Distance" was because all the songs in the album were about human relationships and the distance between people. Both DEEP RIVER and HEART STATION were chosen because she thought they were fitting for an album title.

Exodus was because she was crossing nations and making an "exodus" from Japan to USA. And "This is The One" was because she thought that album was going to be the one that would be successful in America. I can post the interviews where she said these things if you want.

And in my post, I was talking about my opinion about the subject, it's fine if you guys don't agree with it. I just don't think the whole "I'm tired of this subject, you suck, you attention who re yadayada BYE" is constructive.

Old 17th June 2015, 05:37 PM
As if.. Initiate

If someone has download link for Premium Night: Love & Songs, I would love to have it, download it and then watch it
Old 18th June 2015, 12:18 PM
fairyland Initiate

I'm sorry if some people think that last my comment was not constructive, and I was originally writing a reply, but deleted it. My original comment wasn't really meant to compare one artist to another, but explain why Kuu fans in the Kuu thread might come off as abrasive to people who people who come off as insulting to her. I understand that people would want to respond to that, and feel free to do so, but I am not obligated to respond or debate. I've said my piece. As I said, I was going to respond, but my dislike of Utada is very strong and I feel it would have just turned from a debate to name calling and insults, which it already was for me.

Last edited by happiholic★; 18th June 2015 at 12:28 PM.
Old 19th June 2015, 03:10 PM
Beautiful Day Initiate

Tracklist is out: http://rhythmzone.net/koda/discography/

Disc-1(CD)>

01. EX TAPE(new)
02. HURRICANE(new)
03. NO ONE ELSE BUT YOU(new)
04. I'll be there(4 hot wave)
05. With your smile(4 hot wave)
06. FREAKY(FREAKY)
07. girls(FREAKY)
08. Lick me(3 SPLASH)
09. Once Again(MOON)
10. Lady Go!(MOON)
11. Lollipop(Gossip Candy)
12. Poppin' love cocktail(4 TIMES)
13. V.I.P.(4 TIMES)
14. LALALALALA(Summer Trip)
15. TOUCH DOWN(Summer Trip)
16. HOTEL(HOTEL)

Disc-2(DVD)>

01. EX TAPE(new)
02. HURRICANE(new)
03. I'll be there(4 hot wave)
04. 人魚姫(4 hot wave)★
05. JUICY(4 hot wave)★
06. FREAKY(FREAKY)
07. Run For Your Life(FREAKY)★
08. Lick me(3 SPLASH)
09. 走れ!(3 SPLASH)★
10. That Ain't Cool /倖田來未 Feat. Fergie(MOON)★
11. Lollipop(Gossip Candy)
12. Poppin' love cocktail(4 TIMES)
13. V.I.P.(4 TIMES)
14. LALALALALA(Summer Trip)
15. TOUCH DOWN(Summer Trip)
16. HOTEL(HOTEL)
★means Blu Ray and dvd only

A good deal for fans who don't own anything of hers. Maybe I'll buy her A Summer Best.
Old 19th June 2015, 03:49 PM
End of the World Initiate

Oh my good those videos: 人魚姫, Run For Your Life, That Ain't Cool, Poppin' love cocktail, LALALALALA, TOUCHDOWN. Hell NOOO!!
Old 19th June 2015, 04:04 PM
Secret Initiate

Damn I might consider getting this compilation since I'm too lazy to buy Deja vu and JAPONESQUE lol.
Old 19th June 2015, 04:56 PM
Crazy 4 U H-Initiate

Guys, please use the new thread:
http://www.ahsforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=121803

「変わらないなら 変えるしかない」

Closed Thread

Tags
koda kumi, koddess, kxvk, queen of live, summer of love