[Koda Kumi] The 189th Thread — W FACE inside/outside + Driving Hit's 7 - Page 6 - Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
· Ayu's Official Site · Ayu's twitter · Ayu's YouTube · masa's translations · Misa-chan's translations ·

Go Back   Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai > Music Forums > Asian Music Chat > Artists & Bands

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 24th March 2017, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenPang View Post
@ Chibi-Chan ; Sorry Lina but I have to disagree with what you said on Kuu

Kuu worked very hard to get to where she's at now & I think what you said on her not being 'a great artist let alone a musician and she never will' is a really harsh remark

Granted that not everything in Kuu's music discography is 100% perfect but others will beg to differ that . Likewise 5-10 years down the road , Kuu will still be remembered be it music or non music wise

This year is Kuu's 17th year in the music business and she definitely is doing something right to sustain herself for so long . People still love & respect her

As for you saying that Kuu's music is nothing but mere 'noise' , I take that over other artistes' songs that basically is just them screaming non stop into the microphone that's accompanied by loud random melodies
Nothing wrong with disagreeing.

I do not claim that you all have to agree or that my opinion would be a fact. When some of you say her songs are damn great I also do not accuse you all of wanting to act as if you have the only truth.

I don't get why you all seem so pissed about me saying she isn't an artist. She simply isn't and that's not an insult or anything. She is a great performer and I respect her and her career for what she/it is. But she does not write great music or great lyrics or whatever. She is a manufactured popstar, nothing wrong with that.
I'm a big Britney fan btw, I love her and I could talk about her the whole day. But she also isn't an artist, despite having written a lot of songs, lyrics, producing her own albums and tours etc. Britney has her legacy as a popstar and as Princess of Pop and as much as I love her and her music, I would also say she never created music that would be worth remembering from a musical point of view. Same goes for Kuu.
I enjoy a lot of music that isn't great in any aspect if you look at things like composition, arrangement etc., I guess everybody does. But enjoying music does not mean it's actually good. There is also a lot of music I wouldn't consider good music that means a great deal to me for whatever reason, but it still isn't a good song.
Being a popstar simply is not the same like being an artist/musician and neither Kuu nor Brit are artists/musicians. This does not mean that both of them do not work hard or that their careers are worth nothing.

Edit: what I wanted to say when I said Kuu isn't an artist, there are things she simply is not good at because she is not a musician aka great songwriter. She tries to do a lot of stuff on her own she should let people do who actually know what they are doing and focus on the things she actually is good at. A lot of people here seem to think the album is uninspired and I think it would be way better for her and her releases if she would stop trying to be something she just is not.

Last edited by Chibi-Chan; 24th March 2017 at 03:06 PM.
Old 24th March 2017, 03:15 PM
Trauma Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvina View Post
That's just an assumption from your side, you don't know that. In fact, we do know some of the songs were written for her or even with her together ( e.g. Cupcake and My fun). So please stay to what we know.
That's why I said "probably".

Old 24th March 2017, 03:26 PM
Initiate

New interview for modelpress with some backstage pictures from the album photoshoot.

https://mdpr.jp/music/detail/1673300

Also some backstage pictures of the PVs

https://mdpr.jp/music/detail/1673042
Old 24th March 2017, 03:31 PM
Crazy 4 U H-Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahtka-chan View Post
That's why I said "probably".
I'm curious - what do you even want to imply with it "probably being rejected demos"?
From all we know a song likeTABOO by HIRO, a Japanese composer, could be a rejected demo as well.
The music market works like that. Often the songs aren't written specifically for someone, composers produce songs and selling them. So they are basically all demos rejected by someone, aren't they?
Back with TOUCH DOWN Kuu even flew over to Toby Gadd to discuss it with him. So she clearly has the connections. But e.g. TOUCH DOWN has a demo with a well known western artists singing it nevertheless. So Idk what this should mean in the end.

「変わらないなら 変えるしかない」

Old 24th March 2017, 06:45 PM
ayu trance Initiate

Quote:
I'm curious - what do you even want to imply with it "probably being rejected demos"?
From all we know a song likeTABOO by HIRO, a Japanese composer, could be a rejected demo as well.
The music market works like that. Often the songs aren't written specifically for someone, composers produce songs and selling them. So they are basically all demos rejected by someone, aren't they?
Back with TOUCH DOWN Kuu even flew over to Toby Gadd to discuss it with him. So she clearly has the connections. But e.g. TOUCH DOWN has a demo with a well known western artists singing it nevertheless. So Idk what this should mean in the end.
+1
Lots of things get rejected, then realized later by someone else who can truly commit and own them, making them better than they would have been under those who rejected them.
The script for Back to the Future was rejected by more than 40 studios and producers before it was made. Star WARS, E.T., and Pulp Fiction were all rejected multiple times too. But you would never consider these as washed up, rejected projects. We've all been rejected by people, jobs, etc, but that doesn't make us any less valuable. It only means that those who rejected us didn't see, or couldn't utilize the value we offered.
Old 24th March 2017, 07:28 PM
Trauma Initiate

Quote:
I don't really know why TABOO is regarded here as a top quality song from her but anyway.

I say that because lots of songs from both W face albums sound very unfinished and unpolished, something that gives me the feeling they are demos. I say rejected because they are not very interesting, melody/instrumental-wise, and you can hear "better versions" of these songs (this style, I mean) on western artists, with better production.

I don't mind minimalistic music, I like it, but I don't think they sound simple because they had that purpose in mind.

For example, MORE is not very elaborate but it sounds amazing because the arrangement was really well done even if there weren't many instruments in the track.

All that can be subjetive, but I can't picture Britney Spears or Rihanna choosing any of these tracks to their albums, not before a full update. Just like Sora-kara said, I believe the majority of the songs in these albums needed someone who could "truly commit and own them, making them better than they would have been under those who rejected them", I'm quoting.

What I see is that she got these songs like they are, changed some lyrics, recorded the vocals and released, without even rearranging ou making them better

And, imo, TOUCH DOWN is really bad. Kumi and JoJo shouldn't have recorded that.

Last edited by ahtka-chan; 24th March 2017 at 07:31 PM.
Old 24th March 2017, 10:14 PM
WHATEVER Initiate

But, what makes a good lyricist? What makes a great performer? Who decides when a song sounds unfinished? There is no scale to measure, no formula to use. Thus, everything is just subjective. I think we all need to keep this in mind. We cannot prove anything. We can have our opinions and share them, but we need to remember they are just that.

introduce a little anarchy

Old 25th March 2017, 12:32 AM
As if.. Initiate

I'm curious to know what a """""true artist""""" is. Someone who writes and composes all of their music?
To me a true artist is someone who has an opinion on what he/she does and actually take the time to take care of his/her art. Kuu crafted her brand, she's not like anyone else in Japan (especially back in her hey days). That's what made her so big in the first place.

Even if I don't really like the direction she's going, she still is the one pulling the strings and choosing songs. All of Outside tracks may be demos, still, she took the time and changed the lyrics herself. She took the time to make two albums that actually make sense in their entirety. You make like it or not, but that's always gonna be subjective.

She's always making decisions regarding her albums, tour and single concepts. Just watch any making off.

I think to state she isn't an artist negates everything she's been through to get where she is now. A lot of artists have to endure a lot of shit when they are beginners to then share their own point of view through their music. That doesn't mean they must be labeled as puppets for the rest of their career. She's proven herself and her talent, she isn't a newbie in this industry. So yes, she's a true artist (in my eyes). Just because she does pop music, doesn't mean she's manufactured, not anymore at least.

Take AKB48 for an instance. Or idk, Fifth Harmony. That's what manufactured looks like. (as of now)

Last edited by Luck16; 25th March 2017 at 12:39 AM.
Old 25th March 2017, 12:56 AM
my name's WOMEN Initiate

I want those people who say "Britney or Rihanna could sing it" to show me any artist that does music that is so unique only to him/her/them. There won#t be any, at least no mainstream artist who does not do fucked up shit - and even all that avant-gard stuff is done by trillion other people.
Old 25th March 2017, 01:04 AM
Two of us Initiate

Britney released an atrocious album of half finished demoes that she didn't even fully sing on less than 4 years ago.
I fail to take any other points seriously on 'true artistry' after that oversight.

Old 25th March 2017, 04:05 AM
independent Initiate

LOL what? Koda Kumi IS THE definition of the word ARTIST. Good Morning.

Woman herself creates single / album concepts, co-composes songs, writes majority of her lyrics, has full involvement in her live tours, creates outfits, themes, etc and IS in charge of her own career. She does more than enough.

From Dictionary.com:artist - a person who works in one of the performing arts, as an actor, musician, or singer; a public performer:
Your argument is invalid by default.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaled kalil View Post
Let me ask you guys a question, does anyone have one of these performances in HD, or at least SD to share, trade or whatever you wanna call?

Ai no Uta [Music Station Super Live] 2007.12.21
Ai no Uta [Music Station] 2007.09.14
I'll be there [Music Station] 2006.07.17
Promise [Music Station] 2005.09.05
Someday [Music Station] 2006.02.24
WIND [Music Station] 2006.03.31

These are the only files that I'm missing and I used to have Someday in HD but I lost it.
I only have one above, sadly my HDD died a few years back and I wasn't backing up my files at that point so I've lost a lot of them. Do you still need that one?

Koda Kumi Fan since 2003 * ~ * ~ * ~ * Instagram

Old 25th March 2017, 07:55 AM
Crazy 4 U H-Initiate

@ahtka-chan:
Alright, thanks.
It is subjective, cause for me e.g. the albums sound both well produced. I could understand with a part of WOML, but that's subjective as well.
But Kuu is producing herself and she for sure has multiple ways to create her work. Even if she would compose all of the stuff herself, it could sound similar and you wouldn't like it as well. It's more of a question of what she wants.

Also, cause there was the word musician used here generally...
For me a musician is somebody playing an instrument. He or she can also compose, but playing an instrument is inevitable. And in that sense Kuu is more of a musician than other pop artists, cause she started to learn piano, guitar and drums (which I hope to see more of it in the upcoming tour btw). Not that this is important, not for me.
And artist is a really widespread term.

In that modelpress article and interview Kaled posted the author describes how Kuu is overseeing everything. Fyi.

There's nothing original in this world anymore.
We're all just the sum of our inspirations.

「変わらないなら 変えるしかない」

Last edited by Corvina; 25th March 2017 at 08:40 AM.
Old 25th March 2017, 08:31 AM
LIKE A CRYSTAL H-Initiate

End of the day I'm sure most will agree that Kuu work hard to get to where she's at & she has paid her dues

That said , I enjoy both W FACE albums equally and each album has its own respective strength/weakness

And I already said before that I'm the rare few that really like WOML on 1st listen

Likewise I also like Bon Voyage too & even though Marika said that she feels it's Kuu's weakest album in recent years , I don't think there's anything wrong for her to say that as it's her opinion

Marika said before she likes UNIVERSE but I don't . And many prefer Kingdom over Black Cherry but I don't either

Everyone has different preferences , likes & dislikes . If everyone all behave in the same manner , then something's not right

Dedicated BRZ fan since 2008 debut single ♪ | team brz member ♥ | BREAKERZ BIRTHDAY PARTY 2024 ♥

My JPop Blog | My Twitter | BRZ Thread 47 | BRZ LiveJournal | BRZ Official Site

Old 25th March 2017, 11:03 AM
Initiate

@ALfromHELLSING Yes, please!
Old 25th March 2017, 12:26 PM
Crazy 4 U H-Initiate

Some recent pics from Kuu rehearsing the tour from playroom:

Loving that Ultraviolet shirt.
Looks like this is going to be the FC shirt, cause of the member sign.
Should get the tour goodies any day now.

First tickets are sent out:

Misako from AAA posted about her getting her copies of W FACE:

And for those interested in it.
misono is going to be married!
She's in a relationship with Nosuke, the drummer of the rock band HighsidE:

「変わらないなら 変えるしかない」

Old 25th March 2017, 02:07 PM
INSPIRE Initiate

omg love the 80s vibe in the Ultraviolet shirt! :Heart

Also happy for misono, congrats for the couple (:

instagram | last.fm | tumblr | jpop tumblr | twitter | peeproom | goodreads

Old 25th March 2017, 03:23 PM
POWDER SNOW Initiate

Ayustans and their Koda and Namie hate lmao

Old 25th March 2017, 03:48 PM
ayu trance Initiate

I'm not a big fan of her vocal style when she sings high notes. I find that she sounds a bit squeaky but that could be a stylistic choice on her part. I do love her low notes. I find that she emotes better when she sings lower or not so forced. Granted, this is all my personal preference. I do welcome recommendations of her best vocal performances.

Book collector, avid reader, writer, cat owner, part time owl who listens to JPOP, KPOP, metal, soundtracks, and instrumental music.

Old 25th March 2017, 03:54 PM
theme of a-nation '03 Initiate

Dance practice of Ultraviolet from Line live broadcast

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...20479391303015

Idk about you guys but I love this choreo

IG | YT | PR

Old 25th March 2017, 06:01 PM
WHATEVER Initiate

Wow. Good job, misono. He's cute and looks like he's a sweet and fun guy.

introduce a little anarchy

Closed Thread

Tags
hottest asian artist, koda kumi, koda kumiko, queen of live