[Koda Kumi] The 196th Thread - My music is designed from my DNA - Page 4 - Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
· Ayu's Official Site · Ayu's twitter · Ayu's YouTube · masa's translations · Misa-chan's translations ·

Go Back   Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai > Music Forums > Asian Music Chat > Artists & Bands

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 20th September 2018, 06:22 PM
Depend on you Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvina View Post
Hm, I don't think Kuu is ever going to be really popular again.
She is a similar package like Namie as an artist, but her character is pretty much the polar opposite of hers.
And flashy and progressive characters like Kuu's just aren't trendy at all at the moment.
Kuu also seems to be happy with where she is now. Not to mention that she is quite critical with (Japanese) society in her songs in recent years and I don't think she ever wants to fully bend to that pressure again.

I feel something in commom with that. She uses sexy appeal as girl power, IDK, but in a traditional (sexist) society like Japanese lyrics like HAIRCUT stimulates changes and non conforming situations "be whatever you want to be", "cut your hair", "it doesn't matter what they say".
Old 20th September 2018, 06:37 PM
Crazy 4 U H-Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by voltron View Post
^ I agree. I think Kuu's situation is really similar to Ayu's in that sense - they are both doing what THEY want to do in the way they want to do it - which is counter to the current trends. They certainly have it in them to be more mainstream, but it's not what they're going for - not in their "DNA" if you will.

But I would love for both of them to garner more public respect again, even if it doesn't translate to sales.
Well, I agree and disagree, Kuu and Ayu are in a similar situation and also aren't, but that's another topic, haha.
But you do remind me of something regarding both of them.
One of the top voted comments on the big IGN video of Ayu's Pride performance with parts of her speech was one saying that Ayu sounds more and more like Kuu.
It was meant in a negative way, refering to Kuu's direct way of talking and her way of pointing to situations most Japanese are uncomfortable to talk about (like the acceptance of homosexual love).
But I felt so proud reading that, cause this was indirectly a compliment to Kuu (and Ayu of course) and this is one of the things I love about her.

「変わらないなら 変えるしかない」

Last edited by Corvina; 20th September 2018 at 06:42 PM.
Old 20th September 2018, 06:56 PM
As if.. Initiate

That is a valid point. I don't think Kumi is interested in pandering anymore to mainstream tastes. Ayumi seems like she's over the constant pandering too. Massive popularity in Japan does mean having to conform and place yourself in sync with the public.

With W FACE and AND/DNA, I think she's made it pretty clear that she wants to do things her own way.
Old 20th September 2018, 06:57 PM
LIKE A CRYSTAL H-Initiate

avex Taiwan uploaded another video of Kuu via their Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/avextw/vide...6619585568284/

For this , it's a DNA Question & Answer video part 1 which's highly likely more of such videos will be uploaded hopefully in days to come

My Traditional Mandarin reading skills is not good cos I was taught Simplified Chinese in school but I try my best to translate what Kuu was asked & also her response

Anyway here's what I was able to translate , it's not 100% accurate I tried my best

Spoiler:
avex Taiwan : Please let your long time no see Taiwanese fans know about your thoughts on AND and DNA

Kuu : I've been to Taiwan several times and my husband's mum is actually Taiwanese

As such , I have quite a strong emotional connection towards Taiwan & I visit Taiwan regularly for private holiday

Usually during every year end , I will go to Taipei 101 to see the countdown fireworks and usher in the new year together with others

Taiwan really makes me feel very welcome everytime I return back to the country

I heard that my Taiwanese fans like to access my Instagram account and other form of SNSes to communicate with me online

Even though we're not living in the same country , my fans & I mentally have the same connection which makes me feel very happy

This year I released AND during Spring and in Summer , I released DNA

I chose to name AND as so is because of the theme 'Fans AND Me' , a bond connection between me and my fans

Another reason why I choose AND is the theme 'Music AND Me'

For DNA , I hope everyone can appreciate this album by experiencing my music DNA

These 2 albums have a wide variety of music genres which everyone can enjoy

You have ballads that I love , dance fast paced numbers that people will like and also rock too

This time round , the 2 albums are packed filled with contents and I hope everyone will enjoy them respectively

===

lol Kuu didn't really answer the question until the 2nd 1/2 of her answer haha

I had no idea Kenji's mum is Taiwanese and also that she chose to spend the year end in Taiwan :O

Dedicated BRZ fan since 2008 debut single ♪ | team brz member ♥ | BREAKERZ BIRTHDAY PARTY 2024 ♥

My JPop Blog | My Twitter | BRZ Thread 47 | BRZ LiveJournal | BRZ Official Site

Old 20th September 2018, 08:41 PM
INSPIRE Initiate

^ thanks for the translation, Karen! It's so sweet the way she regards international fans <3

Quote:
Hm, I don't think Kuu is ever going to be really popular again.
She is a similar package like Namie as an artist, but her character is pretty much the polar opposite of hers.
And flashy and progressive characters like Kuu's just aren't trendy at all at the moment.
Kuu also seems to be happy with where she is now. Not to mention that she is quite critical with (Japanese) society in her songs in recent years and I don't think she ever wants to fully bend to that pressure again.
I do think she might gain more attention with the general public again now, but that will probably only be reflected in higher streaming numbers and more concert attendees and stuff like that (like her viral Tik Tok hit this summer).
But of course I could also be totally wrong.

By the way both Tokyo dates are officially sold out now.
I feel pretty much the same. Even later in her life, Namie kept an ''idol'' persona in some aspects, while Kuu has pretty much always been an ''anti-idol''. I don't mean any of these in a good or bad way, just that what they decided to do with her careers is just not the same, be it lyrics-wise or sound-wise.

At most I tink Kuu will have a bit more attention for anime and/or dorama tie-ins, maybe also for non-album stuff (like releasing a proper single lol I can't even remember which was the last single to have an outdoors shooting), but being where Namie was... Well, that's just pretty much where she didn't head to. She packed her stuff on Bon Voyage and departed on another journey after all

What makes me happy the most about this survey is that given how Namie grew over the years after her fall and has so much respect from the Japanese audience, it's amazing they thought of Kuu after her. Plus, it's even better they remembered her at all

instagram | last.fm | tumblr | jpop tumblr | twitter | peeproom | goodreads

Last edited by Gustavopc; 20th September 2018 at 08:45 PM.
Old 21st September 2018, 12:39 PM

DNA Question & Answer video part 2 that avex Taiwan posted on their Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/avextw/vide...4444794296203/

Here's what I was able to translate , give or take

Spoiler:
avex Taiwan : Where do you get your inspiration from regarding the lyrics found in both AND or DNA ?

Kuu : This time round , I more or less was responsible for writing lyrics regarding both albums

I usually will pick the song's melody 1st which's then followed by the lyrics

I will let a composer worked on the melody 1st and then I will start to write lyrics

When I listen to the song's melody , I will keep listening to it repeatedly until I get any inspiration to pen down lyrics for the song

This was how CHANCES ALL was created , the same thing happened to HAIRCUT too

I kept listening to HAIRCUT's melody until I was able to write down the lyrics for the song

I prefer doing this , instead of keep thinking in my heart 'Write something , write something'

For me I always keep listening to a song's melody multiple times and somehow what I plan to write seems to come by easily from my brain

Dedicated BRZ fan since 2008 debut single ♪ | team brz member ♥ | BREAKERZ BIRTHDAY PARTY 2024 ♥

Old 21st September 2018, 01:30 PM
Initiate

how much has Kuu sold so far for DNA?
Power of Music ~20th Anniversary~, 7th Apr (6) & 8th Apr 2018 (7)
Countdown Live 2019 - 2020 ~Promised Land~, 31st Dec 2019 (8)
25th Anniversary Live, 8th Apr 2023 (9)
25th Anniversary Live Tour, 18th Aug 2023 (10) — LUCKY BOY!!!
Old 21st September 2018, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrtwb View Post
how much has Kuu sold so far for DNA?

http://tieba.baidu.com/p/5884938283

Old 21st September 2018, 02:06 PM
appears Initiate

lol it doesn’t matter if Kuu wants to gain more attention or not.
if the general public will focus on her, she gets the main attention, simple as that.
and it also doesn’t matter if she has abominations like WATCH OUT... even namie had songs that weren’t that "mainstream" friendly at the time of release.

J-Pop doesn’t really have that many great artists with a full package tho.
her image has changed... she went from being the "shame of kyoto" to the "??? of kyoto", can’t remember what the title was/ it’s from an interview around the WoL release.
she's married, has a family and is a great entertainer.
with things like her viral Megumi tiktok thing and stuff and being #1 on LINE music etc she got attention from the youth, which is mainly were trends and artists begin to flourish if y’all have ANY idea how the music industry and trends/newcomers works now.

she has probably one of the better chances to get the spot.
i don’t want to say she will, but looking at the other options... hmmm not really tbh.
let’s see what the GP will choose in the end.
but with avex tumbling down more and more they probably gonna push someone to get more attention and money again.
Old 21st September 2018, 03:28 PM
BEST Initiate

Quote:
Well, I agree and disagree, Kuu and Ayu are in a similar situation and also aren't, but that's another topic, haha.
Oh absolutely! They have some very different things working against them. I just meant in the sense that they're both doing what they want vs. what is mainstream, and I don't see that as likely to change.

Past all of that, the bigger issue is that the general (music-buying) public just isn't that interested in solo acts these days, especially female solo acts - unless you are Namie or Hikki. I do hope that AVEX will start throwing more money into Ayu and Kuu, who are their best bets for success (short of finding some phenomenal new talent) - but I can't see them doing that for very long if they don't see a return on that investment, especially without having money coming in from Namie anymore.

I was looking at AVEX's site a while back, and their report basically said their strategy is a lot of the things that everyone complains about. Their strategy is to increase concert ticket cost, which over the course of a tour makes a huge difference. They also focus on FC membership, etc. I'm not sure they're really focused on or all that interested in just album sales vs. higher-margin activities.
Old 21st September 2018, 05:00 PM
ayu trance Initiate

She's still popular but I don't think that the fact that she's being on the spotlight will reflect on her sales. As Corvina said, her TiK ToK song (Megumi no Hito) was a big hit between the young people (even tho some people didn't even knew it was a cover by Kumi - I've said that to people that made tik tok videos with the song and they were shocked it was hers lol). I feel that everytime I say I like Koda Kumi here in Japan people kinda of laugh of me because the only image they get from her is being the Butterfly/Cutie Honey girl or being the extra gyaru personality (now that I'm learning japanese I can tell that the way Kuu speaks is extremelly youngish, with a lot of slangs and stuff like that) so is like I'm telling it as a joke, like you're not supposed to really like her music or you should listen to it as a joke. I don't know.

ARENA TOUR 2015 A Cirque de Minuit ~Mayonaka no Circus~ @ Saitama Super Arena 2015.04.11/12
ARENA TOUR 2018 ~POWER of MUSIC 20th Anniversary~ @ Saitama Super Arena 2018.04.07
Tokyo Rainbow Pride @ Yoyogi Park 2018.05.06
a-nation' 2018 @ Ajinomoto Stadium 2018.08.26
LIVE TOUR -TROUBLE- 2018-2019 A @ Nakano Sunplaza 2019.02.06
ayumi hamasaki 21st anniversary -POWER of A^3- @ Saitama Super Arena 2019.04.07
Old 21st September 2018, 05:27 PM
Crazy 4 U H-Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedronekoi View Post
She's still popular but I don't think that the fact that she's being on the spotlight will reflect on her sales. As Corvina said, her TiK ToK song (Megumi no Hito) was a big hit between the young people (even tho some people didn't even knew it was a cover by Kumi - I've said that to people that made tik tok videos with the song and they were shocked it was hers lol). I feel that everytime I say I like Koda Kumi here in Japan people kinda of laugh of me because the only image they get from her is being the Butterfly/Cutie Honey girl or being the extra gyaru personality (now that I'm learning japanese I can tell that the way Kuu speaks is extremelly youngish, with a lot of slangs and stuff like that) so is like I'm telling it as a joke, like you're not supposed to really like her music or you should listen to it as a joke. I don't know.
Afaik that slang is a mixture of mostly Kansai-ben and some modern linguistic phenomenons like colloquial and internet words.
Kuu is often making fun while talking or writing as well, which is why I'm not surprised by such reactions (and it fits to her character, which is why I mentioned it before).
Not so uncommon for somebody coming from Kansai, cause Kansaiers are often seen as more harsh (cause direct) and well, funny, at least that was told to me (and also experienced). But also more welcoming and down-to-earth usually, especially by foreigners.
It's always interesting to hear about such experiences, cause mine were a bit different. Most Japanese I talked about her to were surprised, but they know her for her cool/strong image and didn't think she's a joke. But I was living in a smaller town more on the countryside and not in a big city.
Well, and I was in the Kansai region, so probably not a surprise to hear more positive views on Kuu.

Just searched a bit to show you guys what I mean, cause it's hard to explain and this cracked me up!
https://www.quora.com/Why-are-people...m-other-cities

「変わらないなら 変えるしかない」

Last edited by Corvina; 21st September 2018 at 05:48 PM.
Old 21st September 2018, 11:59 PM
I am... Initiate

I love Kansai. Whenever Japanese people ask me whats my favorite place in Japan and I say Osaka, they're always amused and say, "I don't think people in Osaka are Japanese" because they're more outgoing than the rest of Japan.

But this reminds me of the Walk Of My Life tour I went to in Osaka, there were these two elderly ladies walking through the park wondering who was performing and when they read the sign one of them said "It's Koda Kumi-sama!" and I thought it was really cute for them to refer to her like that.
Old 22nd September 2018, 04:36 AM

Go to Hokkaido

https://twitter.com/KODAKUMINET/stat...41874495279104

Somemore photos from Kuu's Instagram

https://www.instagram.com/p/BoA2iHkAFsf/

List of brands that Kuu's wearing

Glasses:SILLENT FROM ME(@sillentfromme)
Choker:PAMEO POSE(@pameopose)
Jacket:GU(@gu_global)× KIM JONES(@mrkimjones)
Tops:EMODA(@emoda_official)
Pants:GALLERIE TOKYO(@gallerie_tokyo)
Shoes:UNIF(@unif @shopunif)

Kuu wrote that she has been wearing SILLENT FROM ME glasses for years

Upclose shot of her glasses

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bn_fbAKA9Cy/

Old 22nd September 2018, 01:56 PM

DNA Question & Answer video part 3 that avex Taiwan posted on their Facebook today

https://www.facebook.com/avextw/videos/707065306340551/

Spoiler:
avex Taiwan : How much time did you spent in shooting the HAIRCUT PV ?

Besides this , are there any unforgettable or interesting moments you can share with us when the HAIRCUT PV was filmed ?

Kuu : This time round I filmed 3 videos for DNA - HAIRCUT , WATCH OUT!! ~DNA~ & CHANCES ALL

All the 3 videos were shot together within the same day and 2 days were used to edit the footages

HAIRCUT PV footages were edited in 1 1/2 days . The video shooting process took so long until I realised 'I've been doing this for 18 years and yet this video shooting was done until so late into the night' ( x) )

Time does not stop it keeps going but lately when I filmed music videos , they're done so fast until it felt as though time did not went by so quickly

I usually will start filming music videos in the afternoon and everything will be finished by night time

A lot of past music videos I filmed , the process usually will take very fast

But lately I realised avex is still stuck in a 90s bubble , sometimes I can be filming music videos until in the middle of the night or the next day

That said , I feel this time round the 3 PVs I've created for DNA are nice to watch

Nowadays the usage of CG effects in music videos is a lot more than compared to the past . This time round , I didn't use much CG effects in the 3 videos I've made for DNA

The 3 PVs I made for DNA , they were filmed in a different manner from my usual music videos so that fans can watch them from a new perspective

I have long hair in the HAIRCUT PV with me taking out the blonde wig that I was wearing in the video and then I have short hair within a few seconds

Beside this , CG effects are used in the scene when numerous butterflies flew into me and also when I stretched out both my arms

I really enjoy shooting the PV for HAIRCUT , it makes me very happy

Also HAIRCUT & WATCH OUT!! ~DNA~ PVs are interlinked with each other , plot wise so I hope my fans enjoy watching the music videos

Wow I thought the 1st question avex Taiwan asked which Kuu answered was long , this's even longer o_O

Kuu can get long winded & don't really answer the question until much later on but nonetheless I appreciate what she said especially when comes to the creation of her PVs

===

Today's setlist in Hokkaido

http://tieba.baidu.com/p/5890136527

Kuu sung What's Up !

Last edited by KarenPang; 23rd September 2018 at 01:18 PM.
Old 22nd September 2018, 11:36 PM
As if.. Initiate

i'm going to the DNA TOUR 2018 *o*!!! 7 AND 8 OCTOBER IN TOKYO <3. I'm so excited!!!!!!!!!!
Old 23rd September 2018, 01:17 PM

DNA Question & Answer video part 4 that avex Taiwan posted on their Facebook today

https://www.facebook.com/avextw/vide...3016693306461/

Today is also the last video that avex Taiwan has posted on Kuu :s

Spoiler:
avex Taiwan : Lastly , please say a few words to your Taiwanese fans

Kuu : My current ongoing new tour KODA KUMI LIVE TOUR 2018 ~DNA~ , this time round is a lot more entertaining and fun

In fact I feel that KODA KUMI LIVE TOUR 2018 ~DNA~ is more entertaining compared to last year's tour that I did

KODA KUMI LIVE TOUR 2018 ~DNA~ has a cool high tech futuristic theme incorporated onto it and it's a hall tour

If any of my fans come to Japan , please come and see me perform ! You will have a great time in my concert(s) and I will feel very happy if you enjoy what I have put up for you guys

I also keep hoping that I can go back to perform in Taiwan again

On that note to all my Taiwanese fans , let's meet again next time . I'm Koda Kumi , signing off for now !

Old 23rd September 2018, 03:05 PM
ayu trance Initiate

Quote:
Afaik that slang is a mixture of mostly Kansai-ben and some modern linguistic phenomenons like colloquial and internet words.
Kuu is often making fun while talking or writing as well, which is why I'm not surprised by such reactions (and it fits to her character, which is why I mentioned it before).
Not so uncommon for somebody coming from Kansai, cause Kansaiers are often seen as more harsh (cause direct) and well, funny, at least that was told to me (and also experienced). But also more welcoming and down-to-earth usually, especially by foreigners.
It's always interesting to hear about such experiences, cause mine were a bit different. Most Japanese I talked about her to were surprised, but they know her for her cool/strong image and didn't think she's a joke. But I was living in a smaller town more on the countryside and not in a big city.
Well, and I was in the Kansai region, so probably not a surprise to hear more positive views on Kuu.

Just searched a bit to show you guys what I mean, cause it's hard to explain and this cracked me up!
https://www.quora.com/Why-are-people...m-other-cities
Definitelly!! Her Kansai personality is amazing. I really like the Kansai accent and the way of speaking but, as you said, maybe because I'm in Tokyo, people have this kinda of prejudice about it. I don't know. Like yesterday I went to a karaoke with a lot of Japanese and I decided to sing Butterfly and the video was actual the PV and people started laughing at all the sexy scenes/acting but in a really weird way.

ARENA TOUR 2015 A Cirque de Minuit ~Mayonaka no Circus~ @ Saitama Super Arena 2015.04.11/12
ARENA TOUR 2018 ~POWER of MUSIC 20th Anniversary~ @ Saitama Super Arena 2018.04.07
Tokyo Rainbow Pride @ Yoyogi Park 2018.05.06
a-nation' 2018 @ Ajinomoto Stadium 2018.08.26
LIVE TOUR -TROUBLE- 2018-2019 A @ Nakano Sunplaza 2019.02.06
ayumi hamasaki 21st anniversary -POWER of A^3- @ Saitama Super Arena 2019.04.07
Old 23rd September 2018, 03:58 PM
Crazy 4 U H-Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedronekoi View Post
Definitelly!! Her Kansai personality is amazing. I really like the Kansai accent and the way of speaking but, as you said, maybe because I'm in Tokyo, people have this kinda of prejudice about it. I don't know. Like yesterday I went to a karaoke with a lot of Japanese and I decided to sing Butterfly and the video was actual the PV and people started laughing at all the sexy scenes/acting but in a really weird way.
I think that's probably cause they're a bit uncomfortable with it, so they're just laughing. I wouldn't interpret too much into it. Kuu is really not the standard most Japanese are used to.

I personally love Kansai as well, which is why I didn't even had to think about where to go last year, when I had to decide between Tokyo and Kansai.
Had some really great encouters there (like an old lady stopping me on the street to get me into her house, cause she wanted to show the nice foreigner her garden with the plants she planted for her children and their families, all nicely told in her dialect - this probably only happens in Kansai ). Not to mention Kyoto and Osaka are there!
And Kuu directly came to my city with her all prefectures tour, so I've never regretted it even for a bit.

And thank you Xianghua for the story and your posts Karen!

「変わらないなら 変えるしかない」

Last edited by Corvina; 23rd September 2018 at 04:06 PM.
Old 24th September 2018, 05:51 AM

Yesterday's setlist in Hokkaido

http://tieba.baidu.com/p/5891581085

Closed Thread

Tags
koda kumi, queen of live