[Charts & Rankings] The Official Oricon Thread of TROUBLE - Page 12 - Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
· Ayu's Official Site · Ayu's twitter · Ayu's YouTube · masa's translations · Misa-chan's translations ·

Go Back   Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai > Ayumi Hamasaki Forums > Ayu Music News

Notices

Old 22nd November 2018, 11:37 PM
Humming 7/4 Initiate

I don’t think releasing a best of translates to better sales...It’s just not the right moment. First she needs a hit song. Then a best of to remind people who she is...

I don’t see her going this way any time soon though. Especially considering that she didn’t have a properly promoted release in ages and TROUBLE was just an excuse to continue touring.

Follow me @njanjayrp

Old 23rd November 2018, 02:06 AM
ayu-ro mix 2 Initiate

Yeah even though best ofs tend to sell more than original albums, I think in her case even a best of won't help her anymore at this point
Old 23rd November 2018, 04:37 AM
appears Initiate

Speaking of two jpop divas:
Seiko Matsuda 2015 best sold 150k, and her last hit was on 1995. Her studio albums nowadays use to sell 15k.
Akina Nakamori 2014 bests sold 80k each, and her last hit was on the 80s lol. Her last two studio albums sold 10k each.
ayumi's career is way more healthy than those two, I don't see why she can't have great sales with a best album. (something like 100k). Honestly it makes me a little bit mad they are losing a great opportunity being this her anniversary year.
Old 23rd November 2018, 09:29 AM
BEST Initiate

^ A significant difference is that Ayu has ongoing sales of things like A Best via digital sales, especially when her albums go on sale. The two you mentioned are of another generation, and more likely a target audience that isn't as likely to buy digital and who would buy things for the nostalgia and/or to catch up on an artist they lost track of. It's really not a comparison, and I don't think a new best album from Ayu would sell much of anything.
Old 23rd November 2018, 09:55 AM
still alone Initiate

The success of Trouble has me questioning almost everything with Ayu. I don't understand how it's still selling. Through my perspective Trouble is Ayu's weakest release and least promoted release but yet here it is selling 30,000+. Months after release. So I have no idea if A Best 3 would sell well or not.
My guess now is that it would sell less than A Best 2 but would still sell more than a regular album.
As for remastering? I don't think it would matter unfortunately. I would love it if they fixed the dynamic range of the tracks. But in 2018 the music business still refuses to change their practices aka "the loudness war".
Old 23rd November 2018, 10:20 AM
Crazy 4 U H-Initiate

Trouble might have sold better than expected, but still has the trend of falling sales continuing - Made in Japan sold 40k and the last mini sixxxxxx 44k.
The reason for it selling decently is most probably the two concerts attached to it and it is hard to tell how it would have done without them.
Smart move to attach after holding them back for so long.

A best of doesn't garantee good sales nowadays.
Even popular artists have problems selling lots in general (like AAA - highly popular right now, doing two big successful tours this year - first arena, right now Dome - are only selling 90k of their new album).
If you look at the yearly Oricon chart, to break in the Top 50 with an album you don't even need sales of 75k...

Overall sales alone don't matter that much anymore. Even somebody with low physical sales can have a healthy career -and vice versa. There's touring, there's digital, there's streaming (a streaming chart by Oricon starts in three weeks). Aimyon would be a good example - her physical sales are non-existent, but digital they're quite nice and she's especially big in streaming. And even though she's just in her 2nd major year of career, she was invited to Kohaku this year.
Ayu still has a healthy fanbase to tour with - hope it stays like that and she isn't loosing more fans.
But even Ai Otsuka with awful sales and pretty much no relevance left whatsoever is doing several tours and concerts (and releases) through the year, even though they're small.
So no career is really just over, it's just about adjustments.
And honestly, while I can see why fans like their artists to be popular, popularity doesn't really matter at all. At least to me personal. And it has so many forms nowadays. Sometimes it seems to me there are too many fans out there just caring about popularity ( we even have a name for fans like that in German).

「変わらないなら 変えるしかない」

Last edited by Corvina; 23rd November 2018 at 10:49 AM.
Old 23rd November 2018, 01:49 PM
HAPPY ENDING Initiate

You guys are overrating the impact of the concerts on the Trouble sales. Her latest live releases weren't breaking 10k sales.

http://stan-wars.com/1989.html

I live around AHS (Ayumi Haters Sekai)

Old 23rd November 2018, 04:05 PM
ayu-ro mix 2 Initiate

Even if A BEST 3 does end up selling 100k, that won't really boost her popularity. The higher revenue could increase her budget, but it won't be by that much and will only last so long. And at this point I think remastering her songs to AHS's standarts is outside her budget If she does release A BEST 3 I bet it'll just be a collection of songs released since A BEST 2, without any remastering, re-recording or remixes. Maybe she'll put o new song or two if we're lucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvina View Post
And honestly, while I can see why fans like their artists to be popular, popularity doesn't really matter at all. At least to me personal. And it has so many forms nowadays. Sometimes it seems to me there are too many fans out there just caring about popularity ( we even have a name for fans like that in German).
This so much tbh. While I do want my faves to be popular for the sake of getting recognition they deserve, their popularity doesn't really affect my opinion on them. I don't think they're any less worthy if they're not popular nor do I think they have to chase popularity
Old 23rd November 2018, 04:07 PM
Crazy 4 U H-Initiate

Selling 10k more or not is a difference.

That's also something I don't understand, why did they stop releasing DVDs. I'd understand CDLs, but tours?
Selling 10k is still a significant amount and generating a good income. DVDs are expensive in Japan after all.
And there are a lot of artists still releasing live DVDs selling the same or less than Ayu and still doing it regularly. So not being worth it can't be a reason.

「変わらないなら 変えるしかない」

Old 23rd November 2018, 04:32 PM
ayu-ro mix 2 Initiate

^ At first I thought they had stopped releasing DVDs to sell them all at once in 2018 as a way to celebrate her 20th anniversary, but now i'm not so sure anymore lol

I really do wonder why a DVD for PoM 2018 hasn't been announced yet, I mean the tv version is so well edited that I don't think they have a lot of extra work to do about it, I wish it would be released in december so I could have it for christmas

arena tour 2016 ~M(A)DE IN JAPAN~ @ Yoyogi : 08/07 & 09/07
arena tour 2018 ~POWER of MUSIC 20th anniversary~ @ Osaka-jô hall : 21/07 & 22/07
COUNTDOWN LIVE 2023-2024 A ~A COMPLETE 25~ @ Yoyogi : 30/12 & 31/12

浜崎あゆみ ~since 2009~
tumblr ; last.fm

Old 23rd November 2018, 05:51 PM
LIKE A CRYSTAL H-Initiate

Many artistes I listen & support to over the years they're not popular and the current in act but that's not what I got into their respective music in the 1st place

Compared with other female solo acts , Ayu is 1 of the better faring ones at this point in time . She hasn't reach a stage where her releases tanked ie. out of the Top 300 on Oricon

It's unfortunate that Ayu did not do anything major to mark her 20th anniversary , it's as though it's non existent and for her to just let it slide without doing anything proper aside from putting out TROUBLE , doing 2 back to back tours & performing at a-nation 2018 , I'm quite flabbergasted about it

I don't know how Ayu's other long time fans would feel about this but for me in supporting her for such a long time , I can't help but feel disappointed about it

Not many musicians are lucky to be in the music business for more than 20 years & counting and avex should utilise whatever resources they have to commemorate Ayu's legacy instead of being sitting ducks in the pond

Dedicated BRZ fan since 2008 debut single ♪ | team brz member ♥ | BREAKERZ BIRTHDAY PARTY 2024 ♥

My JPop Blog | My Twitter | BRZ Thread 47 | BRZ LiveJournal | BRZ Official Site

Old 26th November 2018, 03:57 AM
Voyage Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenPang View Post
It's unfortunate that Ayu did not do anything major to mark her 20th anniversary , it's as though it's non existent and for her to just let it slide without doing anything proper aside from putting out TROUBLE , doing 2 back to back tours & performing at a-nation 2018 , I'm quite flabbergasted about it

I don't know how Ayu's other long time fans would feel about this but for me in supporting her for such a long time , I can't help but feel disappointed about it

Not many musicians are lucky to be in the music business for more than 20 years & counting and avex should utilise whatever resources they have to commemorate Ayu's legacy instead of being sitting ducks in the pond
I agree. What I like about JPop is how much anniversaries are acknowledged. I was expecting to take my wallet out and have an Ayu blowout this year with the 20th anniversary but...nothing. Like with the 15th anniversary, whilst there were repeat releases (Love, Again, LoveAgain) I was so excited about these releases regardless.

I can understand that new material isn't her priority nowadays but Avex could have commissioned a new remix release.
Old 26th November 2018, 06:14 AM
HAPPY ENDING Initiate

This complaints happens at pretty much every anniversary of hers lol

http://stan-wars.com/1989.html

I live around AHS (Ayumi Haters Sekai)

Old 26th November 2018, 08:24 AM
LIKE A CRYSTAL H-Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by mi|kshake View Post
I agree. What I like about JPop is how much anniversaries are acknowledged. I was expecting to take my wallet out and have an Ayu blowout this year with the 20th anniversary but...nothing. Like with the 15th anniversary, whilst there were repeat releases (Love, Again, LoveAgain) I was so excited about these releases regardless.

I can understand that new material isn't her priority nowadays but Avex could have commissioned a new remix release.
Suddenly the way things were done to commemorate Ayu's 10th & 15th anniversaries ain't so bad as compared to now @_@

Other artistes even though they have not been that active in recent years , at least they still made the effort to commemorate their landmark milestone

B'z in recent years don't perform on TV often but last year they appeared in a considerable number of TV shows to celebrate their 30th anniversary early besides going numerous back to back tours , putting out a new album & also organised an extensive exhibition housing a mountain load of memorabilia of theirs

Likewise for L'arc , they haven't been active the last few years but at least they still did 2 concerts last year in Tokyo Dome to commemorate their 25th anniversary while they're coming back again next month to perform their Christmas theme concert in Tokyo Dome again

At this point in Ayu's life , I'm not asking a laundry list of things from her but the way either she or avex handled her 20th anniversary milestone , it's nothing special , it just came & go

Nothing special was put out to say hey Ayu is still here , she left such a big mark in the industry & for avex to miss out to capitalise on this opportunity , I don't know what else to think about it

Also seeing other artistes doing all sorts of different yet unique ways to celebrate their respective milestone in the industry , I keep wondering why Ayu did not do so as well

Dedicated BRZ fan since 2008 debut single ♪ | team brz member ♥ | BREAKERZ BIRTHDAY PARTY 2024 ♥

My JPop Blog | My Twitter | BRZ Thread 47 | BRZ LiveJournal | BRZ Official Site

Old 26th November 2018, 09:08 PM
ayu-ro mix 2 Initiate

Maybe ayu just doesn't care about anniversaries, it's not a big deal imo
Old 27th November 2018, 04:59 AM
Daybreak Guardian

It's better not to do anything to celebrate her 20th anniversary if she's not inspired. If "A BEST 3" ever happens, it should really be something special and unique.
Old 27th November 2018, 08:53 PM
ayu-ro mix 2 Initiate

I'm personally not asking for A BEST 3 but ayu-mi-x 8, which Ayu has like nothing to do herself except a photoshoot for the album cover.

arena tour 2016 ~M(A)DE IN JAPAN~ @ Yoyogi : 08/07 & 09/07
arena tour 2018 ~POWER of MUSIC 20th anniversary~ @ Osaka-jô hall : 21/07 & 22/07
COUNTDOWN LIVE 2023-2024 A ~A COMPLETE 25~ @ Yoyogi : 30/12 & 31/12

浜崎あゆみ ~since 2009~
tumblr ; last.fm

Old 28th November 2018, 03:47 AM
NEVER EVER Initiate

Or Ayu trance 5, that would be amazing, so many new songs to remix.
Old 29th November 2018, 03:34 AM
WHATEVER Initiate

they could have least have release the 20th anniversary tour as a dvd or bluray
Old 30th November 2018, 01:45 PM
Far away Initiate

we stan the queen of longevity.

Tags
oricon, trouble