the Sugababes thread. - Page 5 - Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
· Ayu's Official Site · Ayu's twitter · Ayu's YouTube · masa's translations · Misa-chan's translations ·

Go Back   Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai > Music Forums > General Music Chat

Notices

Old 29th September 2008, 12:27 AM
Because of You Initiate

I certainly hope they get number one with this single. Although I probably like "About You Now" more, "Girls" is even more of a grower I think. Even if the single doesn't get it, I'll be much more happy to see the album get number one.

Old 29th September 2008, 12:42 AM
A BALLADS Initiate

Strictly Come Dancing perf~

---

GMTV perf and interview.

the single is also up to no. 4 in the midweeks.

Last edited by drewbilation; 5th October 2008 at 06:18 PM.
Old 1st October 2008, 10:36 PM
A BALLADS Initiate

the 'Babes performed some new tracks at the Q Awards tonight: "No Can Do," "Beware" and "Every Heart Broken."

"No Can Do" was described by someone at Popjustice as having "this really cool fresh funky, dark feel, and Amelle sounds insane!" and "Beware" is like a "Modern, Darker, Creepier, even Scarier 'Nasty Ghetto'."

edit~ super LQ phone-recorded versions of "No Can Do" and "Beware" have leaked to YouTube.

Last edited by drewbilation; 2nd October 2008 at 12:38 AM.
Old 5th October 2008, 09:21 PM
A BALLADS Initiate

the 'Babes performed an acoustic version of "Girls" and a cover of The Supremes' "Stop" Radio 2 today. both are very good.

also, "Don't Look Back" has leaked. it has a somewhat folksy sound, I think.
Old 6th October 2008, 12:43 AM
Trauma Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewbilation View Post
the 'Babes performed an acoustic version of "Girls" and a cover of The Supremes' "Stop" Radio 2 today. both are very good.

also, "Don't Look Back" has leaked. it has a somewhat folksy sound, I think.
Yay! I love the acoustic of Girls. I heard a more HQ version of Every Heart Broken on UKMix yesterday. I really like it!

ohaayoo, wutashee noo nahmaeh wa austin desu 8D
luls

flavors.me | last.fm | facebook

Old 7th October 2008, 01:12 AM
UNITE! Initiate

Wow, Girls acoustic version is so great! Better than the original that I don't like that much.. Can't wait for this album!
Old 10th October 2008, 01:33 AM
A BALLADS Initiate

the 'Babes performed a cover of Keane's "Spiraling" on Live Lounge today.

it is veryveryvery good.
Old 14th October 2008, 10:20 PM
Trauma Initiate

Quote:
Suga Rush Produces New Album In Weeks
'Bigger than Girls Aloud'
One thing the trio can, and do, take pride in, however, is their sales record. The artwork for the new single boasts that the Sugababes are the "best-selling girl band of the 21st Century".

Their closest rivals are Girls Aloud - who have largely failed to make an impact abroad, a point which Buchanan is keen to drive home.

"Let's just set the record straight. We sell a lot more records than Girls Aloud," she says.

"I get asked a lot, 'aren't they a bigger band than you?'

"Well, no. They're not."

She stresses there is no bad blood between the groups - but the comparative lack of recognition is clearly a thorn in her side.

Girls Aloud
The Sugababes say they are very different to chart rivals Girls Aloud

"All of their records have gone top 10, which is something we don't have," she observes, "but we have longevity, we write our own stuff and we've sold more records."

"We just want to be known for our music," confirms Berrabah, diplomatically.

"When we got a review that said we put on a good performance at the Isle Of Wight Festival, it put a smile on my face for a month.

Buchanan jumps in again: "And that's better for us than to be in the latest magazine."
Never particularly liked Keishi in the first place, she claims there is so bad blood but brags about Sugas selling more? That makes sense. Anyway, SO SO SO apparently the article says the new album was rushed and the girls hardly saw each other whilst recording. And the girls also seem to have a problem with branded as pop? Oh, and the source is BBC. Keisha is a bit full of herself.

7th album production is starting 'pparently.

luls

Old 15th October 2008, 12:54 AM
Because of You Initiate

That's interesting. It's not surprising to hear Keisha saying that though. We all know she isn't the most subtle member of the group. And yeah, all of the Sugababe's albums have sold far better than Girls Aloud's (well, maybe not One Touch), even if their singles haven't all gone top ten as GA's have.

Old 15th October 2008, 04:10 PM
A BALLADS Initiate

Popjustice has also reviewed the Babes' new album:

Quote:
So this Sugababes album...

We thought the new Sugababes album 'Catfights & Spotlights' would have been given the full-on review treatment elsewhere by now but apparently it hasn't so here is a review. Firstly - because one of the only ways of finding out how much someone really likes a track is to look at the star ratings they've given songs on their personal iTunes playlists - this is how we've got to grips with the 'LP' over the last few weeks.

Secondly: if you want an album full of holes in heads, dresses red in colour, or buttons being pushed, you'll need to readjust your expectations. But if you go into 'Catfights & Spotlights' expecting top-of-form ballads and soulful mid-tempo numbers in the vein of 'One Touch', you're in for a treat. Sugababes have a great reputation for their upbeat numbers, of course, and it feels odd to have a Sugababes album without any decent ones, but their reputation is just as strong for heartstopping moments like this, and there are plenty on 'Catfights & Spotlights'. So while the only properly upbeat track is 'Hanging On A Star', which ranks as not only the worst song Sugababes have ever recorded but also the worst piece of music of the 21st century*, this is the most 'complete' Sugababes album since their first.

A brief track by track guide to best lyrics:

'You On A Good Day': "You're messed up from your chromosomes to your enzymes, remember that time when you took my ride? I had to get it from the impound, my favourite rims were gone and later when I asked about it you just said 'yeah'. But then at least you didn't crash and you had some cash left from selling my rims in the carpark behind the bar... And baby that's you on a good day"

'Unbreakable Heart': "I'm not trying to tell you nothing about right and wrong - it's a whisper and it's grown into a song"

'Sunday Rain': "Standing on the platform waiting for the train, watching the weather change. I'm seeing shades of grey. They say love's a many splendoured thing... We made a mess of everything. It's left me wondering if it's just a picture postcard sent to teach you some place you're never gonna go, never gonna know. You give all your heart and get nothing to show. Days turn to nights and the nights never end, you break my heart then I break yours, that's how it goes, it goes over and over"

'Every Heart Broken': "Boy 2 had done a law degree, he charged me with a felony, I stole his heart and plead insanity"

'Girls': "WHOAAAAH OH"

'Side Chick': "If your want a sly chick, on-the-side chick, it's not you and I boy - you better get your head checked"

'Sound Of Goodbye': "There's no easy way to break somebody's heart when you know what you're gonna say will leave a mark - but I've tried, and I've tried, and I've tried, to no end"

'Can We Call A Truce': "I wrote a list of demands, but I left it at a friend's"

'No Can Do': "If you really wanted my love so desperately then you should've taken time and tried to rescue me"

'Beware': "In the event that we should meet, I recommend you cross the street"

'Nothing's As Good As You': "Love the way you're making me feel - so alive, so good, so real - and I know at the end of the day I will never be the same"

'Hanging On A Star': "I've got a little crush, your body's such a rush"

In terms of the tedious and seemingly endless non-battle between Sugababes and Girls Aloud, this album and Girls Aloud's new one take each band even further in different directions. There was a point a couple of years ago when both bands could have recorded each other's singles, but that problem no longer exists. We could probably do some sort of graph or flow chart at this point but you probably get the idea and we've got a Jason Donovan interview to transcribe so we will leave it to your imaginations.

One thing we said when we mentioned a few album tracks a couple of months ago was that 'Girls', the lead single, is a red herring, and we stand by that - it's an enjoyable 'romp' but also a quick, attention-grabbing fix which soon loses its appeal. The best tracks on the rest of the album are immensely rewarding over repeat listens and, as long as you can cope for 50 minutes without the distant clank of Xenomania's kitchen sink, it's VERY AMAZING.

* Perhaps it's not quite as bad as Nickelback's 'Rockstar', but it's officially 'not exactly very good'.
edit~ song samples are out here.

Last edited by drewbilation; 15th October 2008 at 10:17 PM.
Old 18th October 2008, 03:30 AM
UNITE! Initiate

I don't have an opinion about the album right now. There are some ~really~ good songs like Sunday Rain, Every Heart Broken and You on a Good Day, but some are just so bland.. Anyway, I hope it grows on me!

What do you guys think about it?
Old 18th October 2008, 03:33 PM
UNITE! Initiate

Well, I have to take my word back..
This is an awesome album! After listening to it again, the only song I don't really enjoy is Beware. She's Like a Star is also awesome! *___*
Old 18th October 2008, 04:53 PM
no more words Initiate

I love She's Like A Star and Side Chick.

Old 19th October 2008, 04:30 AM
Naturally Initiate

The thing about the Sugababes is that they have always been Hit Or Miss, their songs are either really good or really bad. This album has it's fair share of both. All in all I am pleased, though I will be waiting for their next album hoping they do something more like Change.
Old 21st October 2008, 03:25 PM
A BALLADS Initiate

the album is no. 8 in the midweeks.
Old 23rd October 2008, 07:41 PM
Trauma Initiate

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAA.

luls

Old 2nd November 2008, 12:37 AM
A BALLADS Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugababes.com
No Can Do – new single from the Babes

Hot on the heels of their smash hit 'Girls' and the release of their new album 'Catfights and Spotlights' comes the unbelievably infectious new single 'No Can Do' on Dec 22nd. It’s an instant winner with a funky Motown bounce that’ll have you hooked on the first listen. The girls will be shooting the new video next week.

If you haven’t already got a copy of the Babes new album, check out a clip of the new single on sugababes.com right now.
they need this single to be massive, as "Catfights" is already down to no. 24 in midweeks.
Old 2nd November 2008, 03:00 PM
Trauma Initiate

I don't see any of the singles doing well for this album, they're more kind of album tracks tbh. No Can Do will probably be somewhere in the back of the top twenty anyway. I hope Sunday Rain becomes a single, it's great.

luls

Old 2nd November 2008, 06:33 PM
A BALLADS Initiate

album is no. 26 this week, and "Girls" is down to 17.

not looking good for them. =x
Old 2nd November 2008, 08:25 PM
Initiate

I've been listening to Girls a lot lately, and I'm in love with it! I haven't heard the album yet (unfortunately) but that chart position isn't looking too good

Tags
britpop, girl group, quite good, sugababes