Bilibili Macro Link 2021 - Page 6 - Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
· Ayu's Official Site · Ayu's twitter · Ayu's YouTube · masa's translations · Misa-chan's translations ·

Go Back   Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai > Ayumi Hamasaki Forums > Ayu Music News

Notices

Old 16th July 2021, 08:37 PM
HAPPY ENDING Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by hidekirby View Post
I don't know... As regards being offkey, I believe editing can do wonders. I don't remember which live it was (but an old one) and I compared both versions (edited/unedited), it was just day and night. Without her sounding robotic or over edited (like some later shows).
If they could have such results 20-10 years ago I have no doubt they can correct everything they want by now.

As I said the live version of Life really stands out (not in a good way) among all the other edited renditions of the last concert.
When she is releasing a concert with multiple dates, they can easily just edit the best vocal parts of each date to make her sound overall better. If it's a stand alone performance, there's not as much material to work with.

That being said, there's no amount of editing that can save absolutelly horrible vocais without it sounding robotic or over-edited. If she sounds decent post editing, the original sound needed to be somewhat good aswell.

http://stan-wars.com/1989.html

I live around AHS (Ayumi Haters Sekai)

Old 16th July 2021, 11:28 PM
SEASONS Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrenekoi View Post
That being said, there's no amount of editing that can save absolutelly horrible vocais without it sounding robotic or over-edited. If she sounds decent post editing, the original sound needed to be somewhat good aswell.
What I just explained is that they can easily fix every offkey parts without it sounding too robotic (like the last lives for example). They've been doing this for ages.
Old 19th July 2021, 10:54 AM
Humming 7/4 Initiate

Quote:
What I just explained is that they can easily fix every offkey parts without it sounding too robotic (like the last lives for example). They've been doing this for ages.
It strikes me as very weird that you keep insisting on this. I’ve seen ayu live 11 times so far and she has never needed so much fixing. There were always particular songs where you knew she would scream or go off key, but that was it. Sometimes she sounds better and there are times she struggles, sometimes she is doing great.

Follow me @njanjayrp

Old 19th July 2021, 07:12 PM
HAPPY ENDING Initiate

Quote:
If she sounds too bad, there's just so much that can be done without it sounding robotic. If the recorded live was way too bad, something that did happen to her in the past, and the recorded release sounded decent and not robotic, they most likely got the audio, or parts of it, from another date.

If she has less dates to take audio from, it's harder to get good takes. She could just record the song on studio and use that to fix a really bad vocal aswell, but it will depend on how far she is willing to go for a less flawed result on the recorded release.

http://stan-wars.com/1989.html

I live around AHS (Ayumi Haters Sekai)

Old 19th July 2021, 08:11 PM
BEST Initiate

The degree to which her voice does or does not sound robotic when pitch corrected is also largely due to the type of process they're using on her voice. Auto-tune is one form of pitch correction that often produces a more robotic sound. Over the years her team has used different processes, and unfortunately at times they've slipped back to lower quality ones and have produced robotic vocals. But this is inconsistent over the years.

There's also a difference between pitch/key and overall vocal quality. If her voice is in good quality, then pitch correction makes for a really good output in most cases unless she's horribly off key the entire performance. What it does not fix is poor vocal quality - you can still very clearly hear things like strained or worn vocals, even if the notes are correct. They did magic with Made in Tokyo, but she still sounds very tired.
Old 19th July 2021, 09:22 PM
Initiate

^ exactly. I know that melodyne and flex pitch both have a graph option where you can move notes and even parts of notes to the correct pitch and it will still have all the same characteristics and curve as the original input such as tone and tamber, wobble, air gaps etc. you can even edit the amount of vibrato in these programs and have it sound relatively natural. If you look up Nathan James Larsen on YouTube he has a recent video explaining all of this. It’s quite insane how much you can actually do these days (for better or worse). What you cannot fix in this way is tone quality, there’s only so much they can do with that, and that would need to be fixed with layering and reverb effects, and even then the best they can do is bury the tired/hoarse/thin vocals under layers of processed tracks and instrumentation if they don’t have a better performance to take it from.

Last edited by AJFmzk; 19th July 2021 at 09:26 PM.
Old 20th July 2021, 12:07 AM
opening Run Initiate

True, I've always preferred Melodyne over Auto-Tune. I still have nightmarish flashbacks about songs from the TV show "Glee" where they ruined the vocals of very talented cast (who for the most part barely needed any pitch-correction) with auto-tune abuse.

Last edited by Chris85; 20th July 2021 at 12:09 AM.
Old 20th July 2021, 03:49 AM
Initiate

^ yeah. And the really awful thing is how much I can detect autotune now on every song on the radio. It's like people think that a song doesn't sound polished or professional if it doesn't have a bit of autotune and it just makes everything terrible. I hate pitch correction with a burning passion. Ayu is a bit of an unfortunate scenario because of the damage to her ears and voice, but I still think she could get to a point where she can manage her pitch well if she sings with proper singing technique. We saw a glimpse of it in AT 2015 and Music For Life Return. If she is able to apply proper technique, she wouldn't even have to use the baby voice, she could get back to her 2004-2006 or even just 2015 voice minus the screaming...but perhaps I'm being way overly optimistic :p

Last edited by AJFmzk; 20th July 2021 at 03:56 AM.
Old 21st July 2021, 04:54 AM
SEASONS Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by njanjayrp View Post
It strikes me as very weird that you keep insisting on this. I’ve seen ayu live 11 times so far and she has never needed so much fixing. There were always particular songs where you knew she would scream or go off key, but that was it. Sometimes she sounds better and there are times she struggles, sometimes she is doing great.
It also strikes me as very weird that you keep on misreading my posts and just drift from what I said and explained several times.
That is to say : editing can easily fix offkey parts.
I'm just basing my thought on every unedited live broadcasts I saw and compared them straight to their final release. That is my point and nothing else.
I've never debated the fact that she goes offkey a lot or sounds horrible most of the time here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrenekoi View Post
If she sounds too bad, there's just so much that can be done without it sounding robotic. If the recorded live was way too bad, something that did happen to her in the past, and the recorded release sounded decent and not robotic, they most likely got the audio, or parts of it, from another date.

If she has less dates to take audio from, it's harder to get good takes. She could just record the song on studio and use that to fix a really bad vocal aswell, but it will depend on how far she is willing to go for a less flawed result on the recorded release.
You may be right but to be honest I think it would be much more work having to pick up audio parts of other shows and mixing them together or rerecord, and trying to match the video (this part in itself is quite tricky)... I believe audio editing is way more "easier" and way more efficient than that. Especially as time goes on.
I think I could also easily tell that the corrected audio parts I compared back then were also pretty much the same as the original offkey ones. Not like they took it from another date or else. You could hear the same fluctuations, the same tone, accents, breaths or voice quality. Like even if it's the same song performed by the same artist in the same setup, some things are constantly changing and unique.
Old 6th August 2021, 06:51 PM
my name's WOMEN Initiate

since when is she pronouncing "itsuka" that way?
Old 21st August 2021, 12:08 PM
Love song H-Initiate

Anyone with bilibili supscription? Video have been updated to 4K
Old 22nd August 2021, 11:07 AM
too late Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aderianu View Post
Anyone with bilibili supscription? Video have been updated to 4K
I have a free subscription and I'm supposed to be able to stream videos in 4K, but I don't know how to download videos from bilibili.

slow down, you won't get there by hurrying
gonna find out if the hard work was worth it
i know it's somewhere in me
i'm just tryna find love

Old 23rd August 2021, 11:50 AM
Love song H-Initiate

I also have free and only 1080p is available for me

Tags
blm2021