New song:『Pray for you』 - Page 4 - Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
· Ayu's Official Site · Ayu's twitter · Ayu's YouTube · masa's translations · Misa-chan's translations ·

Go Back   Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai > Ayumi Hamasaki Forums > Ayu Music News

Notices

Old 5th January 2021, 07:43 PM
INSPIRE Initiate

I really like the instrumental, and the way the song keeps on growing. Sounds like something from A ONE (i.e. very very ayu-ish) but also a bit OST-like, reminded me of alan's Kuon no Kawa/RED CLIFF. Can't wait to hear the whole thing, I hope it'll be a promotional digital single for A BALLADS 2!

instagram | last.fm | tumblr | jpop tumblr | twitter | peeproom | goodreads

Old 5th January 2021, 08:29 PM
NEVER EVER Initiate

I'm really excited for the song and I hope we get to hear it or a snippet with vocals soon!

Old 5th January 2021, 09:46 PM
too late Initiate

"Pray for you" reminded me both BUDDHA's themes, including her own "Pray" and X JAPAN's "Scarlet Love Song".

slow down, you won't get there by hurrying
gonna find out if the hard work was worth it
i know it's somewhere in me
i'm just tryna find love

Old 6th January 2021, 01:54 AM
WHATEVER Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by summerain View Post
"Pray for you" reminded me both BUDDHA's themes, including her own "Pray" and X JAPAN's "Scarlet Love Song".
I love Pray so much
Old 10th January 2021, 07:59 AM
NOTHING FROM NOTHING Initiate

Reminds me of 'A Bell'
Old 13th January 2021, 05:40 AM
WHATEVER Initiate

Sweet! I'm looking forward to its release
Old 14th January 2021, 07:42 AM
Initiate

Do you guys think it might be possible that this song is going to be just an instrumental with no lyrics/vocal? The more I listen to the melody and arrangement the harder it is for me to imagine her actually singing it out.
Old 14th January 2021, 01:07 PM
ayu trance Initiate

I did wonder how some parts were going to work out, because like you said it doesn't feel like there's always room for her to sing!
But I refuse to believe she'd be sadistic enough to tease an instrumental only track! I was wondering if maybe it meant it just won't have the usual verse-chorus-verse-chorus-chorus structure, and go for something a bit different like Heaven or reminds me, ...
Old 14th January 2021, 01:41 PM
NEVER EVER Initiate

I highly doubt that this is going to stay an instrumental only. I don't see how that would make sense.

Last edited by Katsuyuki012; 14th January 2021 at 03:43 PM.
Old 14th January 2021, 05:05 PM
too late Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by !Lawi! View Post
I did wonder how some parts were going to work out, because like you said it doesn't feel like there's always room for her to sing!
But I refuse to believe she'd be sadistic enough to tease an instrumental only track! I was wondering if maybe it meant it just won't have the usual verse-chorus-verse-chorus-chorus structure, and go for something a bit different like Heaven or reminds me, ...
She has a song like "Walk", which is built in a similar way. While listening to "Pray for you" instrumental, I can easily point a lot of places her vocals could be in.

slow down, you won't get there by hurrying
gonna find out if the hard work was worth it
i know it's somewhere in me
i'm just tryna find love

Old 14th January 2021, 07:00 PM
poker face Initiate

One of my favorite things from Ayu is how she manages to harmonize her voice with an instrumental in an unique and blending way (an example of this is forgiveness).

I feel this song will have vocals, because she wants to send a message and she can do this only through her lyrics - unless she composes the entire instrumental as well.
Old 15th January 2021, 02:41 AM
Initiate

I guess what’s a little unusual to me in the track is how the melody seems to be fully played out by instruments - not just one, but multiple in sequence (piano, then flute, then horns etc). In her usual instrumentals for songs, the melody is seldom played by instruments. But maybe this is just due to the fact that the song isn’t officially released. Like RAINBOW
Old 15th January 2021, 08:15 AM
ANGEL'S SONG H-Initiate

I think this song version we have is the live-track and not a studio version of course. Arrangement should be rather different in the final one and the end as it is now reminds me of Voyage a lot!
Old 15th January 2021, 04:59 PM
Humming 7/4 Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akutenshi View Post
It sounds like almost every other ballad she's released for the last 7 years now. The horns and flute are at least a nice change up for once, but this will most likely be another skip for me.
Can you please make a list of those, as I am just curious?

I personally don’t feel like Last minute, Zutto, Out of Control, Walk, Shape of Love, WORDS, Mad World, You are the only one, Pray, Sweet Scar sound anything like this?

Follow me @njanjayrp

Old 15th January 2021, 05:03 PM
SURREAL Initiate

^Tea!

Old 15th January 2021, 06:08 PM
ayu trance Initiate

^Let's normalise using Ayu gifs and this one in particular!

As much as I think the statement is too extreme, I think I understand where Akutenshi is coming from because I had the exact same reaction - bored to death thinking 'welp, that's an Ayu ballad all right' and when the horns came in I actually started paying attention.

Obviously it's all a matter of taste and I am in NO WAY qualified as a musician, but to me Pray for you does sound like Pray, Anything for you, Zutto, WORDS or Walk to quote a few. And apart from Walk, none of those actually appeal to me unfortunately.

While being of... varying quality let's say, I feel like the other ones in njanjyarp's list have something 'special' that made me remember them - the dry guitar in Shape of love, the 'etheral' instruments in You are the only one + break at the end, the relative simplicity of Sweet Scar, the change of tone in Last minute, ...

So yeah, while I disagree that Pray for you sounds like all her ballads in the last 7 years because she's had some KILLER ballads, I can't see it becoming one of my favourite based on the instrumental version. But then again, I would have said the same listening to the instrumental version of Walk and yet I was obsessed when it came out.

I guess I'm just secretly hoping for November part II
Old 15th January 2021, 08:52 PM
Depend on you Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by !Lawi! View Post
^Let's normalise using Ayu gifs and this one in particular!

As much as I think the statement is too extreme, I think I understand where Akutenshi is coming from because I had the exact same reaction - bored to death thinking 'welp, that's an Ayu ballad all right' and when the horns came in I actually started paying attention.

Obviously it's all a matter of taste and I am in NO WAY qualified as a musician, but to me Pray for you does sound like Pray, Anything for you, Zutto, WORDS or Walk to quote a few. And apart from Walk, none of those actually appeal to me unfortunately.

While being of... varying quality let's say, I feel like the other ones in njanjyarp's list have something 'special' that made me remember them - the dry guitar in Shape of love, the 'etheral' instruments in You are the only one + break at the end, the relative simplicity of Sweet Scar, the change of tone in Last minute, ...

So yeah, while I disagree that Pray for you sounds like all her ballads in the last 7 years because she's had some KILLER ballads, I can't see it becoming one of my favourite based on the instrumental version. But then again, I would have said the same listening to the instrumental version of Walk and yet I was obsessed when it came out.

I guess I'm just secretly hoping for November part II
Again, we only have Yuta NakaSameOl’ to thank for this :/

Would really love for her to work with other arrangers for once...
Old 15th January 2021, 11:16 PM
JEWEL Initiate

Ayu definitely has a lot stand out ballads and she also has a lot of ballads with a familiar ayu vibe. I think it's unfair to say her ballads sound the same, it's more of a healthy mix between something new and the usual.
Old 16th January 2021, 12:49 AM
ayu trance Initiate

^Definitely, and I love that she does this! I know Party Queen or Colours didn’t really impress anyone here but I still listen to loads of tracks on those two just because of how special they feel in her discography!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidChaiLatte View Post
Again, we only have Yuta NakaSameOl’ to thank for this :/

Would really love for her to work with other arrangers for once...
He does tend to sound same-y... It’s a fine line isn’t it, between a signature sound and always sounding the same!
Old 16th January 2021, 01:18 PM
glitter Initiate

I like the instrumental, although nothing could beat RAINBOW, ever!

Tags
cdl 20-21, music for life, pray for you