New ballad single coming soon! - Page 7 - Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
· Ayu's Official Site · Ayu's twitter · Ayu's YouTube · masa's translations · Misa-chan's translations ·

Go Back   Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai > Ayumi Hamasaki Forums > Ayu Music News

Notices

Old 21st October 2014, 06:36 AM
And Then Initiate

Awww! But Pray was an incredible ballad. The melody may be a bit generic but still pleasing to hear.
Old 21st October 2014, 08:53 AM
INSPIRE Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by tokyoxjapanxfan View Post
In the most recent TA update, she says "winter ballad" specifically. In English too, haha.
I though it was just the tweet Ignore my previous post then hahahaha

instagram | last.fm | tumblr | jpop tumblr | twitter | peeproom | goodreads

Old 21st October 2014, 01:23 PM
rainy day Initiate

Now that I think about it, I do recall ayu saying back when secret was released that momentum WAS NOT a ballad when describing the winter track. In my mind, momentum is a winter ballad. Midtempo, yes, but a winter ballad nonetheless. However, if it is not classified by Ayu as such, and this new track is, then I am beginning to think it won't be anything like the winter "ballads" I envision.
Old 21st October 2014, 03:17 PM
winding road H-Initiate

^ Yeah, there were quite a few times that Ayu's and the articles' descriptions of the songs didn't quite match the final result, I never really know what to expect from what they say lol

Old 21st October 2014, 03:27 PM
appears Initiate

I take back what I said. I just remembered Jewel. That is my favorite winter song. appears is my second favorite. Jewel was a beautiful ballad without being "typical".
Old 21st October 2014, 04:12 PM
rainy day Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeakira View Post
I take back what I said. I just remembered Jewel. That is my favorite winter song. appears is my second favorite. Jewel was a beautiful ballad without being "typical".
Jewel is a gem. Even though it is not the type of winter ballad I am craving, if she released something just as superb I'd be content. However, Jewel is one of those tracks that doesn't come about very often. In order to succeed in delivering simplicity, you really do need a stand out composition and track to begin with because you can't really "dress it up" without losing that simplicity. Jewel succeeded and ayu has done many laid back ballads but no other simplistic tracks are anywhere near as powerful, grand, or beautiful as Jewel. I don't want her to go this route because I just know the chances of her delivering something on that level again while remaining simplistic are slim to none.
Old 21st October 2014, 06:58 PM
SCAR Initiate

^ I agree on Jewel. I believe sweet scar is somehow similar in the feeling of "simpleness", but still it's nowhere near the perfection that is Jewel. I love more grand ballads like You were... and Together When actually, so I wouldn't mind something like that. Perfection would be something like ever free / dolls. Not that these are winter ballads, but you get the point.
Old 21st October 2014, 07:13 PM
Dolls Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsumekaze_ View Post
^ I agree on Jewel. I believe sweet scar is somehow similar in the feeling of "simpleness", but still it's nowhere near the perfection that is Jewel. I love more grand ballads like You were... and Together When actually, so I wouldn't mind something like that. Perfection would be something like ever free / dolls. Not that these are winter ballads, but you get the point.
Really? I consider Sweet Scar a masterpiece. Jewel is beautiful indeed but I never considered it to be one of Ayu's best songs.
And I agree about dolls and ever free .

*Jewel playing after a lot of time*
Old 21st October 2014, 07:45 PM
Paper Doll Protector

I think I'm gonna be naive and ask what is considered to be a ballad. What is a ballad?????? I can tell that some of her songs are considered to be ballads, but I don't really know what it is that makes them so.

Is there a place where I can find her list of songs that are considered to be ballads so I can get it straight? XD

(Plus, the sooner I find out, the sooner I can make a list of my favorite ballads of hers)

Last edited by DonkeyKongRemix; 21st October 2014 at 07:49 PM.
Old 21st October 2014, 08:39 PM
appears Initiate

Technically speaking, it's a song or poem that tells a story. So if we're going by that, not many songs are ballads. lol
Old 21st October 2014, 09:07 PM
Paper Doll Protector

Oh, so a love song does not necessarily = a ballad?

Would songs like Beloved and Meaning of Love be considered ballads?
Old 21st October 2014, 09:45 PM
End roll Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by nalini-dahlia View Post

Nowadays it more refers to a love song. With Ayu it also normally means a slower tempo or softer feel of a song.
Old 21st October 2014, 09:53 PM
rainy day Initiate

Ballads generally are the gentle songs. I tend to view a winter ballad as something that incorporates gentleness with aggressiveness. The dichotomy between the word "winter", which can be a harsh season, and "ballad" which evokes soft feelings, is another reason why I am so explicit about winter ballads being more like No way to say, momentum and you were...
Old 22nd October 2014, 01:24 AM
Because of You Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surreal17 View Post
Really? I consider Sweet Scar a masterpiece. Jewel is beautiful indeed but I never considered it to be one of Ayu's best songs.
i would totally take sweet scar over Jewel anytime. I love Jewel but i love sweet scar more. lol
Old 22nd October 2014, 01:36 AM
1 LOVE Initiate

So a winter song is a song about cold, snow and warm feelings ?

TWICE

Old 22nd October 2014, 01:41 AM
GREEN Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by nalini-dahlia View Post

I would consider the slower love songs as ballads. This does not have to be the tradition love as between humans but you could express love for anything. Imagine Jewel but about cheese... lol (that would be kinda great actually).

Of course this is counter by the Power Ballad which is nothing like a traditional ballad, but in a forum of entertainment that is meant to break and mold the terms are really meaningless.

Much like ayumi I do not classify momentum as a ballad... not in the slightest. More of something that you would play on the beach on the cusp of spring. Think of a week or two after the first flowers blossom, but you still have chilly nights.

Thats just me though.
Old 22nd October 2014, 02:54 AM
Depend on you Initiate

I hope it will be like No way to say, oh my god I love that song so much.
Old 22nd October 2014, 03:09 AM
JEWEL Initiate

Well since we are all getting our hopes up here... I wouldn't mind if it was like Pray. I didn't like the song at first but now I think it's a masterpiece. But as far as winter ballads go, You were... still stands as my favorite. Right next to JEWEL.
Old 22nd October 2014, 04:10 AM
Paper Doll Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrat2219 View Post
Well since we are all getting our hopes up here... I wouldn't mind if it was like Pray. I didn't like the song at first but now I think it's a masterpiece. But as far as winter ballads go, You were... still stands as my favorite. Right next to JEWEL.
You know, I didn't like Pray much for a while. Now I agree, it's really pretty! ^_^

By the way, thanks everyone for answering my question about ballads. Not to keep repeating the same questions, but would Song 4 U be considered a ballad? Or Ivy? Would it be a bad idea to start a thread somewhere asking for a list of ballads???????

XD

Now I really want to listen to her older winter ballads. I looooooved "You Were..." like crazy when it first came out. I got chills every time I watched the video.
Old 22nd October 2014, 07:17 AM
WHATEVER Initiate

Agree with everyone who desires a 'proper' winter ballad (in relation to what is already present in Ayu's discography).

I'm hoping for outstanding hair, a memorable outfit, dramatic arm movements, a desolate/veering toward spooky setting (CAROLS, momentum, Together when...), basically, some serious melodramatics incorporated with mass symbolism (i.e. MOON with the black ink). Musically, cleverly timed strings, an aggressive instrumental, moments where Ayu's voice is barely above a whisper, etc.

Essentially, I hope she can successfully make me shiver like she has in the past with her winter singles.
Also, a cheery, Christmas-ie b-side like meaning of Love would be excellent too.

I have great faith in this single, I've really enjoyed her recent ballads like Pray and Ivy. ^_^

Tags
kunio tago, tetsuya komuro, tetsuya yukumi