Rock'n'Roll Circus - album information and covers [XII] - Page 5 - Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
· Ayu's Official Site · Ayu's twitter · Ayu's YouTube · masa's translations · Misa-chan's translations ·

Go Back   Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai > Ayumi Hamasaki Forums > Ayu Music News

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 31st March 2010, 11:34 PM
(don't) Leave me alone Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking.proud View Post
And people shouldn't hate people don't liking cute/happy songs... of course if a lot of songs are cute/happy I'll think "oh... I would preffer less cute/happy songs", and sure with GUILTY some people thought "oh, there're so many rock and ballad songs!" (as it seems that will happen with RnRC)... I don't hate people because they don't like rock songs LOL
I don't hate the people who don't like them (well sometimes I do, if I know the person and just don't like them lol), but I hate the hate that the songs get because most of the time I don't think they deserve it . It's not just with ayu, but with other artists I like.. if anything is cute people just love to hate on it.
Old 31st March 2010, 11:36 PM
theme of a-nation '03 Initiate

@Crystal_Ageha: Yes Duty and LOVEppears are actually quite the opposite in term of music arrangement. But I love the flow of LOVEppears, and the "freedom" from it (I'm not saying the album is about freedom). Duty is more dynamic, and has more character inside. They both are equally great in my eyes .

PS: kanariya is such a great song. Yeah her voice is squeaky, but I just love it

Last edited by bluegie; 31st March 2010 at 11:38 PM.
Old 31st March 2010, 11:41 PM
And Then Initiate

MY STORY and Guilty are my least liked albums; they don't feel cohesive to me...There are songs that I love from them, but I don't like to listen through the albums as a whole.

RAINBOW > I Am... I've never understood the dislike for Rainbow. My only complaint is that the title song is on another album. o.O

LOVE Next Level. I was so excited to have such an electronic album from Ayumi.

The thing about RnRC is I don't see how it's going to flow. I feel like while I love the songs, I'm getting the "not cohesive" vibe like with MY STORY and Guilty. x_x But...we'll see...
Old 31st March 2010, 11:43 PM
HAPPY ENDING Initiate

IMO her worst albums to date are ASFXX (just cuz it sounds like a generic jpop album arrangment/music-wise) and Secret (a rushed mess, even if all the songs were great, it doesn't work as a whole).

I think people just tends to expect a 2nd "this album" or "this pv" too much and get disapointed when they notice she went on the oposite direction, some time after that, they listen to the song/watch the video/etc and realize that it was good, turning the new work the new enemy

My top 3 would be (miss)understood, RAINBOW and NEXT LEVEL

IMO RnRC is turning out to be her most generic album since My Story... but a good, fun, interesting generic^^

http://stan-wars.com/1989.html

I live around AHS (Ayumi Haters Sekai)

Old 31st March 2010, 11:45 PM
ANGEL'S SONG H-Initiate

Quote:
MY STORY and Guilty are my least liked albums; they don't feel cohesive to me...There are songs that I love from them, but I don't like to listen through the albums as a whole.
For me, the issue I have with MY STORY is simply the length that it has. It's such a LONG album with a middle that seems to drag. But despite that, if you are able to make it through all 74/76 minutes, you see how amazing it is as a while.

As for GUILTY, I would say I have to be a certain mood to listen to that album as a whole since (don't) Leave me alone and GUILTY are tracks that I normally don't listen to all that much. Everything else on that album is gold though, haha.

About cohesion, I feel as though with the way Japanese albums are usually crafted with single single single single album single single single album and so on... it's really hard to maintain a cohesive album if you're the type of artist that Ayu is who dabbles in genres all the damn time. A lot of her albums imo are as cohesive [yet not cohesive at all] and everything just seems to WORK. It's not the case for everyone, but for me it is, haha.

Quote:
Secret (a rushed mess, even if all the songs were great, it doesn't work as a whole).
Rushed mess? It was rushed seeming [they worked on it to the very last minute they could] but it was NOT a mess. It was anything but, imo. The ending was somewhat scattered with all of the Bs near the end, but it's really quite nice to listen to from start to finish I think.

Quote:
IMO RnRC is turning out to be her most generic album since My Story... but a good, fun, interesting generic^^
Generic? I think you might want to find a different word for this album, haha. All-inclusive, maybe? That kind of makes this album like (miss)understood imo.

This album's genre count so far is kind of scary, haha.

Last edited by truehappiness; 31st March 2010 at 11:50 PM.
Old 31st March 2010, 11:49 PM
Heartplace Initiate

The only albums that don't sound cohesive to me are NEXT LEVEL and (miss)understood. Rock'n'Roll Circus is heading in that direction too, but it will be forgivable like with (miss)understood. NEXT LEVEL was like... half cohesive and half totally random.
Old 31st March 2010, 11:51 PM
Initiate

Not picking on anybody here, but I don't understand how for some, an album drops so far on the list just because it doesn't have perfect flow (or maybe any, lol). For me, that's the least I care about. It's kinda neat if all the songs just go into each other beautifully, but I couldn't care less if they didn't. Actually, now that I think about it, I'd rather have an album that didn't flow well, hah. Because that usually means there's a lot of different types of songs, and that's something that means a lot to me. (This isn't always the case, though. Like with Duty. That has so many different types and experimental aspects, but it still flows fairly well.) It's one of the reasons (miss)understood is one of my favourite albums, actually. Same with NEXT LEVEL; it's also why I'm starting to love this album so much. ^_^
But yeah, relating to that: Blue, I agree about LOVEppears. It does has amazing flow. The only Ayu album that can compare is A Song for xx..... Honestly, though, it's probably just because those are her two least varied albums. :X Even GUILTY - the album that people claim to be non-stop rock - has more variety.
Old 31st March 2010, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrenekoi View Post

I think people just tends to expect a 2nd "this album" or "this pv" too much and get disapointed when they notice she went on the oposite direction, some time after that, they listen to the song/watch the video/etc and realize that it was good, turning the new work the new enemy
That would be how I felt before the Ma era. From MY STORY onward till (except (m)u), I just feel she's going to the same direction --> ROCK, ROCK, and ROCK. Not that I hate rock, but the formula are pretty similar from each other. Of course I can't really distinguish between rock or metal or whatever they are. I remember someone pointed out that the songs were different, but for average listeners, I dun expect people can distinguish them, just like people who don't like remixes can't see the differences between trance, house, etc.

Oh back to your point. Actually I like NL because she tried to go for another direction instead. Of course it's not her first time doing techno side, but it sounded so fresh from her previous ones. And personally I prefer techno over (heavy) rock, so it's obvious that I would enjoy NL. .

Last edited by bluegie; 1st April 2010 at 12:09 AM.
Old 31st March 2010, 11:54 PM
ANGEL'S SONG H-Initiate

Quote:
Even GUILTY - the album that people claim to be non-stop rock - has more variety.
Yeah. The first half is rockish, but the (d)Lma + the 2nd half kind of goes into another direction. I suppose like MY STORY, GUILTY has the problem of jamming everything near the beginning to feel cohesive (MY STORY's issue was all the ballads in a row) but people don't like that, I guess? Haha.

Quote:
NEXT LEVEL was like... half cohesive and half totally random.
She should've retailored all of the songs to be electro on some level, haha. NEXT LEVEL and Curtain call would have more electro beats and all of the singles would be redone with 8-bit, haha.

Last edited by truehappiness; 31st March 2010 at 11:59 PM.
Old 31st March 2010, 11:55 PM
And Then Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystal_Ageha View Post
Not picking on anybody here, but I don't understand how for some, an album drops so far on the list just because it doesn't have perfect flow (or maybe any, lol).
I love all of Ayumi's albums and songs, I'm a sucker for her music. But, the flow/cohesion thing...there's looking at the songs individually and then looking at the album as one long piece of music. Not saying that it isn't enjoyable, but I'm less likely to want to sit and listen to an album all the way through if it just feels like a mish mash of songs. On the other hand, flow can be annoying because, for instance, I always want to listen to RAINBOW as a whole.

It's not a big deal to me, but I'll notice. I rarely listen to whole albums anyway.
Old 1st April 2010, 12:01 AM
Initiate

^ Aa. Yeah, see, most people VERY rarely listen to full albums, so that's one of the main reasons it annoys me when people complain about it, hah. Not how you complained, though... Like, with some of the NEXT LEVEL reviews I've seen, for example. A lot of people said the main reason that album "sucks" is because it's so random and has terrible flow... Then, I have to be like, 'wut??? ' I just don't understand how the flow can completely ruin an album. And that's how a lot of people feel, I guess. >_<'
Old 1st April 2010, 12:02 AM
HAPPY ENDING Initiate

Quote:
Rushed mess? It was rushed seeming [they worked on it to the very last minute they could] but it was NOT a mess. It was anything but, imo. The ending was somewhat scattered with all of the Bs near the end, but it's really quite nice to listen to from start to finish I think.
I find it very messy... it sounds like a single collection more than an album imo... all the tracks are very good, but they don't work as an whole album IMO^^

Quote:
Generic? I think you might want to find a different word for this album, haha. All-inclusive, maybe? That kind of makes this album like (miss)understood imo.
Yeap, generic... even if it has tons of genres, besides dlb and slt I feel i already heard she doing the same stuff over and over again in the past... IMO it sounds like a new version of her past works so far... But as I said, I'm enjoying it, just don't find it her most creative album (and that's ok for me)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegie View Post
That would be how I felt before the Ma era. From MY STORY onward till (except (m)u), I just feel she's going to the same direction --> ROCK, ROCK, and ROCK. Not that I hate rock, but the formula are pretty similar from each other. Of course I can't really distinguish between rock or metal or whatever they are. I remember someone pointed out that the songs were different, but for an average listener, I dun expect people can distinguish them, just like people who doesn't like remixes can see the differences between trance, house, etc.

Oh back to your point. Actually I like NL because she tried to go for another direction instead. Of course it's not her first time doing techno side, but it sounded so fresh from her previous ones. And personally I prefer techno over (heavy) rock, so it's obvious that I would enjoy NL. .
I can get ur point^^ Usually her eras tend to have different rock influences, but for someone that is not very into rock, it sounds all the same...
And I liked NL cuz imo it's a very positive album, something that was needed when it was first released, and I really like when her lyrics are focused on the world instead of on herself cuz I think she does have some amazing points about it^^ rollin' imo have some very clever lyrics

And I like how it flows... people complains a lot about GREEN, but lyric-wise it was on the better place, and I found it amazing how she played with a break on the flow in the middle of the album... making things flowing well sometimes mean playing with the flow of a work, and she did it there... rollin' => green it's like "we need to change now!" => totally different song

http://stan-wars.com/1989.html

I live around AHS (Ayumi Haters Sekai)

Last edited by Andrenekoi; 1st April 2010 at 12:06 AM.
Old 1st April 2010, 12:05 AM
ANGEL'S SONG H-Initiate

Quote:
A lot of people said the main reason that album "sucks" is because it's so random and has terrible flow...
It's because they want to find something that's "bad" about the album and target it, haha. It's not even that bad of a trait anyway. Ayu has a lot of random albums with terrible flow that are appreciated, so it's confusing how people can be this way towards NEXT LEVEL.

I feel that NEXT LEVEL will find enlightenment some time during Rock'n'Roll Circus' lifetime just as the albums before it have. People who once despised the album will appreciate it and all will be fine in Ayu Land until the next album releases and people decide to hate that.
Old 1st April 2010, 12:06 AM
(don't) Leave me alone Initiate

If an album doesn't flow very well it doesn't make me like it any less, I think people should just judge it on each individual song The order of the songs on NEXT LEVEL annoyed me, so I just moved some songs around and enjoyed it so much more. It's not really a big deal.
Old 1st April 2010, 12:06 AM

@ Crystal_Ageha: (your msg is too long to be quoted ). I dun find myself particular need a perfect flow from an album. The content is more important as if the materials really suit my taste. Duty doesn't have the "perfect flow", but the songs are united together as a whole. Not to mention all the songs inside are spectacular... well maybe I dun like SCAR that much but it's still listenable. And I just prefer Dave Ford mix of AUDIENCE (the album version is like 90% similar to the mix except it's a bit rough).

Yeah LOVEppears is has the perfect flow, and the variety of the album is the least (techno --> techno --> techno). Even the slow songs like TO BE and End roll can flow inside the album as well. The thing is I feel like the album is just something easily come out from ayu's mind. I haven't heard A Song for xx yet (yeah shame on me but people say the album sucks), but I guess LOVEppears is quite different from the first album. I believe that the materials from ASfxx easily came out from her mind as well, but at that moment it's hard for her to properly construct or convey her feelings and words into the song. In LOVEppears she had more experience for the construction.

Last edited by bluegie; 1st April 2010 at 12:11 AM.
Old 1st April 2010, 12:08 AM
And Then Initiate

lol I think a lot of people are like this... If it's new, they hate it. Then a few months or a couple years down the road, they wonder how they lived without it. LOL
Old 1st April 2010, 12:09 AM
ANGEL'S SONG H-Initiate

Quote:
I haven't heard A Song for xx yet (yeah shame on me but people say the album sucks)
TSK TSK TSK.

Homework: Go listen to ASFXX, aieeee. Or at the very least, listen to sleeperspaceborn's [a user here] remix of from your letter.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=RZUJI480 If you likey, pick it up here.
I am still obsessed with this version.
Quote:
lol I think a lot of people are like this... If it's new, they hate it. Then a few months or a couple years down the road, they wonder how they lived without it. LOL
PRECISELY.

Last edited by truehappiness; 1st April 2010 at 12:12 AM.
Old 1st April 2010, 12:12 AM
SCAR Initiate

Still no airdate for don't look back =( Need a HQ rip, its killing me not watching the cam version, but I want to save watching it until its out in HQ.

and no next level hate plz. Its my favourite album from her because of the experimentation with her sound.. but I think this album is going to beat it.
Old 1st April 2010, 12:19 AM

@Andrenekoi: Oh my god while reading your msg I found out I had many grammars lol. I guess I shouldn't press the reply button before proof-reading my stuff.

I think I would prefer ayu using a song as a transition instead of interludes. After MY STORY I kinda feel that lots of her interludes are fillers. She doesn't need them for a transition between songs. See Duty doesn't have any and it doesn't have any problem at all. I would rather see an album with 12 tracks (1 intro or interlude) than 14 - 15 tracks with 3 - 4 intro + interludes.

@TH: Actually I was watching pvs at ayu yt channel a few days ago, and I finally got a chance to listen For My Dear (I alway avoid to listen old songs cuz her voice was freakin' squeaky in ASfxx). Yeah her voice was bad in For My Dear, but the song was surprisingly good. Probly I should download the album before deciding whether I should buy it or not (and yeah I still haven't purchased I am... yet, which I should).
Old 1st April 2010, 12:21 AM
SCAR Initiate

http://www.m-on.jp/artist/6/music_detail50927.html

Don't look back has been added to M-ON's database too, so look out there for an airdate as well.
Closed Thread

Tags
ayu, ayumi, hamasaki ayumi, new album, rock'n'roll circus