[Official Message] New Album; Tour: ayumi hamasaki PREMIUM SHOWCASE ~Feel the love~ - Page 11 - Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
· Ayu's Official Site · Ayu's twitter · Ayu's YouTube · masa's translations · Misa-chan's translations ·

Go Back   Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai > Ayumi Hamasaki Forums > Ayu Music News

Notices

Old 11th April 2014, 12:35 PM
SCAR Initiate

I'd love for the album to be titled new grounds!
Old 11th April 2014, 12:55 PM
Connected Initiate

If you look at the japanese wordings, the album is unlikely to be called new grounds. IMO it's just a translation error...

Old 11th April 2014, 01:10 PM
GAME Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Punks View Post
This is actually my exact problem with the dated production, though. It didn't matter in the past if the production was dated because the music still had a really distinct Ayu sound to it. (e.g. I've always loved the production on my name's WOMEN even though it was 6-7 years dated on release.) Ayu's music has always been Ayu's sound; that's what makes it special.

The problem is when she starts to make the production and using top-notch first-rate Western producers the selling point, and the music still turns out dated. If you're going to make the production the focal selling point, then the production has to be REALLY good and with the current trends.

I realize this hasn't really happened yet obviously, as the album isn't even out yet. But I DO worry that it will end up sounding like electropop circa 2008/2009, because I personally don't get the feeling she realizes EDM as a genre right now is basically a production game. It's not like other genres where the production can fall short/sound dated in favor of other factors; the production IS EDM's selling point. That's why producers like ZEDD, Avicii, etc. are so popular right now.

It's like going to the movies. If I went to see a drama film, then obviously there would be no reason to complain about poor CGI because CGI wouldn't be a drama film's selling point. But if I went to see a disaster film or sci-fi flick advertising the best producers!! and Michael Bay!! and Will Smith!! and the CGI was 5 years behind its time, that'd be reasonable grounds for complaint imo.

I don't know, I just don't think she "gets" that and thinks it's just popular because it is, and that's why I worry that the album's EDM attempts will/might fall short or sound dated.
Haha no I totally get what you're saying.... but say the sound of this album does turns out to be really current and hip; would it still not be dated three years later? In that sense, what difference does it really make in the grand scheme of things? Call me old/out-of-touch, but this is what I don't get about the production arms race going on right now in hip-hop/EDM... the producers are fixated on constantly evolving the sound of the genre instead of actually making good music.

I'd agree that Ayu probably doesn't *get* it. Rather, I think she wants to work with these producers because she likes their past work and enjoys the genre. Not to mention the fact that the more 'current' and the hottest EDM producers are probably unavailable/busy making their own songs or producing for top-notch Western acts right now. I was looking at Fedde Le Grand's discography and his peak appears to be 2006-2008... and we all know Darkchild's peak is much earlier than that. So yes, I'd bet on a dated-sounding Western-influenced album.
Old 11th April 2014, 01:34 PM
Don't look back Initiate

I need Sparkle and until the day... version 2.0s please! ><
Hope we get such songs in the album

and pretty set that these 2 may be performed hahaha (with those songs done in the fashion show maybe)
Old 11th April 2014, 01:41 PM
End of the World Initiate

I think she's just in a rut. She has such a huge discography and has covered Jpop from all angles - rock influenced, ballads, pure Jpop and so on. What new ground is left for her to cover without bringing in Western producers or trying something much more niche? The problem you get then is the dated one people are worried about here, or if she goes a bit more experimental she never truly leaves the Jpop behind and it just sounds like a poor imitator of whoever is dominating that style.

Anyway, either way, this should be good for her musically, even if it comes out dated/bad/un-Ayuish or whatever. She's been working with the same team for years and hopefully this radical change isn't just for one album.
Old 11th April 2014, 01:47 PM
Don't look back Initiate

Im wondering...just because she has western producers, her composers can still be from Japan right?
Old 11th April 2014, 02:35 PM
P.S II Initiate

honestly i feel "New Grounds" is pretty cool and it fits the "new her".
Old 11th April 2014, 03:12 PM
WHATEVER Initiate

2nd July...

It's going to be a loooong wait, but I'm sure it'll worth it. I wonder how many new tracks are we geting from this new album.
Old 11th April 2014, 05:08 PM
Because of You Initiate

New Grounds?

Sounds like she's landed a new ground.

Put my mouth on the lyrics like CPR

Old 11th April 2014, 05:18 PM
YOU Initiate

Hurray! I know Ayu needs a rest now and again but I really can't stand the lull between her releases; I'm really excited about this!

いつか聞かせて 君の口から
幸せだよと そして笑って

Old 11th April 2014, 05:35 PM
MY STORY Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surreal17 View Post
Even if it IS fake, I'd die of happiness to have live versions of Sweet Scar, Ivy (I saw it at CDL12-13 but I want it on DVD!), Like a doll and Melody. But in all honestly, Like a doll isn't a song I see Ayu singing live, ever...

AYU ~Countdown Live 2012-2013 ~WAKE UP~ [29.12, 31.12], AYU ~CDL Cirque du Minuet [29.12.14], AYU TROUBLE 18-19 [05.01.19]
Maaya Sakamoto ~Mitsubachi [30.12.12] BABYMETAL [10.01.2015]

BIG BANG [21.10.2015]
Old 11th April 2014, 06:00 PM
Who... Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coelacanth View Post
Haha no I totally get what you're saying.... but say the sound of this album does turns out to be really current and hip; would it still not be dated three years later? In that sense, what difference does it really make in the grand scheme of things? Call me old/out-of-touch, but this is what I don't get about the production arms race going on right now in hip-hop/EDM... the producers are fixated on constantly evolving the sound of the genre instead of actually making good music.
I completely agree with your point. Frankly I find that the EDM production these days really aims for the songs to be remembered for 2-3 years max. (being "new" and fresh for much less than that), for max profit and airplay basically until the next release/album from the same artist. Of course there are longer-lasting gems in the mix but the seeking of short-lived success is just the result of the music market being as overflowing as it is and edm being more mainstream for the last few years than it has ever been before. That's why a lot of people are "obsessed with the shiny and trendy" sound like someone cleverly put it, the genre is somewhat disposable right now I find, and therefore I really wouldn't want Ayu to do that kind of an album (shiny and trendy with the "best" producers) just for the sake of it, just to appeal to a wider public and please a part of her fanbase for it to go old in a year or two.

Then again, I don't want the scenario that whatever she puts out is -already- dated to happen either, now what's the point in that? You don't even get the year or two to enjoy the stuff then right I'm kidding (kind of), even if the production is dated it doesn't mean the songs can't be amazing or enjoyable. Still, if she wants to go EDM, I would prefer for her to go for the polished and produced sound because it is that important in this genre. It wouldn't matter as much with something like LOVE again or rock or something and could be even a stylistic choice. I am torn however because I think that not only do EDM tracks go old fast but they also don't do it too gracefully lol, some tracks that are only some years old can make you cringe with how dated they truly manage to sound by this point. I don't like to associate Ayu with that "disposability" even if I am into EDM atm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Punks View Post
The problem is when she starts to make the production and using top-notch first-rate Western producers the selling point, and the music still turns out dated. If you're going to make the production the focal selling point, then the production has to be REALLY good and with the current trends.

I realize this hasn't really happened yet obviously, as the album isn't even out yet. But I DO worry that it will end up sounding like electropop circa 2008/2009, because I personally don't get the feeling she realizes EDM as a genre right now is basically a production game. It's not like other genres where the production can fall short/sound dated in favor of other factors; the production IS EDM's selling point. That's why producers like ZEDD, Avicii, etc. are so popular right now.

It's like going to the movies. If I went to see a drama film, then obviously there would be no reason to complain about poor CGI because CGI wouldn't be a drama film's selling point. But if I went to see a disaster film or sci-fi flick advertising the best producers!! and Michael Bay!! and Will Smith!! and the CGI was 5 years behind its time, that'd be reasonable grounds for complaint imo.

I don't know, I just don't think she "gets" that and thinks it's just popular because it is, and that's why I worry that the album's EDM attempts will/might fall short or sound dated.
Yeah, so, I do agree with your points here as well. What she should to do is not the traditional or current wave of EDM but find her own thing within the EDM frame, do something innovative with it and maybe find a way to mix her japanese composers and western producers in an unique way. (Personally I would also prefer a darker sound instead of a cutesy one, since the latter can also go cheesy very fast. I think she'll go for more cutesy though.) How she could do that, I don't know, and maybe she doesn't either. We'll get to judge that when the time comes, but I'm not -too- excited because I agree with errikku as well lol :

Quote:
Originally Posted by errikkutrancex View Post
armin van buren last songs are not the best (he was better 5 years ago). He always do the same thing with a poor "trancy" style but not good...
But of course I'm always eager to hear new stuff from Ayu.

BRILLIANCE

Old 11th April 2014, 07:32 PM
GREEN Initiate

that would be nice if it were the reel set list...
I was sad at the 'fake' set list we got for countdown and then the real one came out and it was just bad... lol.
Old 11th April 2014, 07:42 PM
HAPPY ENDING Initiate

People complaining about the album not being called New Grounds will be bitchslapped

http://stan-wars.com/1989.html

I live around AHS (Ayumi Haters Sekai)

Old 11th April 2014, 09:29 PM
rainy day Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedreamer View Post
Im wondering...just because she has western producers, her composers can still be from Japan right?
I don't think so. Generally these "producers" do it all. Composition and arrangement.
Old 11th April 2014, 10:09 PM
Memorial address (take 2 version) Initiate

Why on earth would we get a setlist when the tour doesn't start til the end of next month? Use your brains, people.
Old 11th April 2014, 11:21 PM
Endless sorrow Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by relmy View Post
I think she's just in a rut. She has such a huge discography and has covered Jpop from all angles - rock influenced, ballads, pure Jpop and so on. What new ground is left for her to cover without bringing in Western producers or trying something much more niche? The problem you get then is the dated one people are worried about here, or if she goes a bit more experimental she never truly leaves the Jpop behind and it just sounds like a poor imitator of whoever is dominating that style.

Anyway, either way, this should be good for her musically, even if it comes out dated/bad/un-Ayuish or whatever. She's been working with the same team for years and hopefully this radical change isn't just for one album.
Completely agree with all of this, especially the bolded parts.

Honestly, I'm shivering just thinking about Feel the love as a title. No. Please, Ayu, no.

Hello new me...

Old 12th April 2014, 02:56 AM
ayu-ro mix 2 Initiate

As long as the title doesn't have "love" in it, I am happy. LOL
Old 12th April 2014, 03:38 AM
from your letter Initiate

Omg I love Rodney Jerkins! I love the songs he did for Mariah Carey, and the song he did for Utada back then!
Old 12th April 2014, 05:36 AM
still alone Initiate

guys >.> does anyone know when tickets for the concert go on sale??

set made my me

Tags
浜崎 あゆみ, 浜崎あゆみ, colours, feel the love, premium showcase