[A] Ayu ~Anything Goes XIX~ - Page 2 - Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
· Ayu's Official Site · Ayu's twitter · Ayu's YouTube · masa's translations · Misa-chan's translations ·

Go Back   Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai > Ayumi Hamasaki Forums > Ayu Chat-Room

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 24th February 2017, 12:35 PM
ever free Initiate

Colours was alright. Terminal was one of my favorite songs by her, but overall, the album just felt like a failed experiment. Still liked it better than LOVE again though lol

Old 24th February 2017, 12:50 PM
SURREAL Initiate

Terminal and Pray are master pieces tbh the album is fun but the PVs, on the other hand, are a freaking mess Party Queen is still one of my faves from her

Last edited by Evan Odinson; 24th February 2017 at 12:52 PM.
Old 24th February 2017, 02:35 PM
RAINBOW Guardian

I feel Colours was an album Ayu wanted to just make the type of music she wanted to make instead of what she felt she needed to make. There was no real purpose to it except some genre experimentation and that weird music video with the overweight woman running a lot.

It's not horrible, but I don't find myself listening to it these days.
Old 24th February 2017, 04:40 PM
No way to say Initiate

I don't even remember Colours :/
And I think I never listened A ONE full. Oh, and I never listened sixxxxx.

ayumi hamasaki COUNTDOWN LIVE 2012-2013 A ~WAKE UP~. Dec 29/30/31, 2012. Yoyogi National Gymnasium, Tokyo.
ayumi hamasaki 15th Anniversary TOUR ~A BEST LIVE~. Apr 13/14, 2013. Saitama Super Arena, Saitama.
ayumi hamasaki 15th Anniversary TOUR ~A BEST LIVE~. July 27/28, 2013. Yoyogi National Gymnasium, Tokyo.
ayumi hamasaki ARENA TOUR 2016 A ~MADE IN JAPAN~. May 22, 2016. XEBIO Arena, Sendai.
ayumi hamasaki ARENA TOUR 2016 A ~MADE IN JAPAN~. July 18, 2016. Osaka-Jo Hall, Osaka.
ayumi hamasaki COUNTDOWN LIVE 2016-2017 A『Just the beginning -20-』. Dec 29, 2016. Yoyogi National Gymnasium, Tokyo.
ayumi hamasaki 『Just the beginning -20- TOUR 2017』. July 15/17, 2017. Osaka-Jo Hall, Osaka
ayumi hamasaki 『Just the beginning -20- TOUR 2017』. January 9, 2018. ROHM Theatre, Kyoto
Old 24th February 2017, 05:06 PM
rainy day Initiate

I just feel so disconnected to ayu when I listen to CoLoURS (I can't even stylize it right lmao). Idk it just doesn't feel like her, and so when I listen it doesn't feel like me either. Except Lelio - fun for the gym.
Old 24th February 2017, 06:16 PM
ever free Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by YUKARI View Post
I don't even remember Colours :/
And I think I never listened A ONE full. Oh, and I never listened sixxxxx.

sixxxxxx isn't bad, just really forgettable. I like most of the songs on it but nothing really stood out to me besides Summer diary, and even that I could probably live without. The mini-album is just kind of there lol

Old 24th February 2017, 06:54 PM
SURREAL Initiate

^True that, sixxxxxx was like "Oh yeah I got these unrealeased songs I didn't use for A One, wanna hear them? pay me"
Old 24th February 2017, 07:53 PM
ANGEL'S SONG H-Initiate

The capitalization for Colours was a design choice by that HK design firm. I mean they basically just had her name as like ayuMI hAMAsaki or something so I wouldn't say it was the actual title of the album.

To me, she just wanted to make some music with Western producers and it succeeded at being a bit of a fun test but nothing more than that.
Old 24th February 2017, 11:06 PM
GREEN Initiate

Colours just feels off.
Like its a really long mini album. lol Or just a single and we have never gotten all of it.
It just doesnt feel like a complete project for some reason.
Old 24th February 2017, 11:33 PM
SURREAL Initiate

^I feel the same way about MIJ, I loved it, I really did but it feels like an uncomplete project to me, wo got the introduction (amazing btw) FLOWER keeps the japanese style of the intro, then the next 6 tracks are this kinda pop/rock + ballads that we are so used to and then jump to an EDM with 90's vibes and that Globe cover, it feels so random tbh, I like it but as whole album it seems like a rushed project.
Old 24th February 2017, 11:55 PM
still alone Initiate

I actually enjoyed Colours at the time of it's release, even though I don't find myself revisiting it unless I'm listening to ayu's discography as a whole. I can see how one can compare it to Party Queen because of the genre and production direction, but I feel like the quality of the tracks on Colours is infinitely better. It may not have a concept but I'd rather have random songs that are great than a concept album of mostly subpar songs.

Interestingly, the one song I don't care for on Colours is Terminal haha.
Old 25th February 2017, 02:51 AM
rainy day Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by truehappiness View Post
The capitalization for Colours was a design choice by that HK design firm. I mean they basically just had her name as like ayuMI hAMAsaki or something so I wouldn't say it was the actual title of the album.
It's by Clanhouse which is from Singapore.

But yeah, it's officially listed as Colours.
Old 25th February 2017, 06:10 AM
ANGEL'S SONG H-Initiate

Oo, I mix up a lot of the HK and Singapore work and sometimes forget Colours was an SG design job.

Last edited by truehappiness; 25th February 2017 at 06:12 AM.
Old 26th February 2017, 02:13 AM
Daybreak Initiate

Unpopular opinion chiming in I guess.

As a backstory, I stopped listening to Ayu in 2008, and just recently started listening to her again.

Not gonna lie, out of all the albums that I have listened to that she released in the last nine years, I think Colours is probably my favorite of the bunch. Primarily because it's a unapologetically fun album, and I feel Ayu was at her most comfortable making it.

I think similarly to how she wanted to use Rainbow as a way to reach her global, non-Japanese audience, she wanted Colours to follow this idea. The Western producers, the relatively large amount of English lyrics... it did its job I feel, and I think that it is one of her most fun albums she has released since NEXT LEVEL or (miss)Understood. The entire album is irresistibly catchy, and I've found myself listening to it nonstop. "Terminal" feels like Connected Pt. 2(not a surprise it got performed together in the concert), "Hello new me" is so incredibly uplifting, and I love the sassiness of "Leilo" and "XOXO".

The only songs that fall a little flat on this album are "NOW & 4EVA", and "What is forever love".

Last edited by Norrel; 26th February 2017 at 02:22 AM.
Old 26th February 2017, 04:35 AM
SURREAL H-Initiate

^ ironically the 2 songs you found flat are the only ones I really listen to now haha.

But I totally understand your thoughts on the album.

For me, I just wish it had better execution. The videos were, imo, some of her worst. And I like visual aspects as much as the audio elements.

"Remember, don't let others dictate your music taste. If you like whatever you're listening to, keep listening to it."

Old 26th February 2017, 08:35 AM
POWDER SNOW Initiate

I love colours,,, its so enjoyable.... i forget sixxx and a one,,,

Woman Could be Dangerous
Man Could be Dangerous
Gay Could be Dangerous
Lesbian Could be Dangerous

You....! Could be Dangerous!!!
Old 26th February 2017, 09:41 AM
ayu trance Initiate

I never knew there was so much hate for Colours! I love it too, except for Pray and What is forever love! I listen to XOXO pretty much every day!

I only started to listen to her music around the release of Step you (not even going to tthe y and get the tho right) so I guess it makes sense, but although I am... and RAINBOW clearly have masterpieces, my favourite from her is what she made post Memorial address! Love songs is by far my favourite album, and I strongly love (miss)understood, or Colours.
Actually, apart from Made in Japan that blew me away, I'd say her last to releases were pretty weak in comparison with Colours (sixxxxxx and A ONE). But A ONE gave me NO FUTURE so I forgive it.
Old 26th February 2017, 12:48 PM
LIMIT Initiate

People always underestimating what she means...

CoLOURS, for instance, isn't necessarily just random, either the selection of the British spelling or the capitalization.

First, looking at the spelling--it would be entirely fitting with the way in which she has chosen other album titles for the meaning to be along the lines of "col OURS". Which is to say, colors of hers and some other person(s).

Second, the capitalization. Separating it into "co" and "lours", co obviously meaning "mutually with", and though it's not common, "lours" is an English word meaning "lower", and also means a frown or alternately a darkening sky or landscape.

In other words, the title is probably in reference to some unhappiness both she and another feel, some darkness in their lives, which would be fitting with the deep melancholy in some of the album's songs.
Old 26th February 2017, 01:52 PM
ayu trance Initiate

^Now do EnergizE :p

Joke aside, I think there's a logic most of the times. Like in Party Queen, the titles without capital letters are those which fit in a full sentence within the song I think, like "(what should I) call (it)".
Old 26th February 2017, 06:10 PM
Daybreak Guardian

I find Colours to be a very fun album. I don't listen to it a lot, but I adore XOXO. It's a great song to work out to. I also love NOW & 4EVA, I remember being very surprised after listening to it for the first time, it has a classic feel to it at the same time that it sounds modern.
Closed Thread