Life, one of the most underrated Ayu songs ever? - Page 6 - Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
· Ayu's Official Site · Ayu's twitter · Ayu's YouTube · masa's translations · Misa-chan's translations ·

Go Back   Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai > Ayumi Hamasaki Forums > Ayu Chat-Room

Notices

Old 14th May 2009, 02:17 PM
Who... Initiate

^-Most people also recognize DoY as good.
I agree with you on the greatness of ASFXX.
Lol I was (and still am) totally in love with As if... and Hana and I never saw anyone saying almost anything about either until Hana was performed in PCDL. Then it started really getting attention. I wonder if people would realize the greatness of such songs as As if.. better if she performed it? That happened to me with For my dear. I never really paid attention to it but now it's one of my favorite songs of hers.
Old 14th May 2009, 02:22 PM
Initiate

i think too, that the most songs are underrated:

Most of MY STORY (Liar, HOPE or PAIN, HONEY, winding road, Replace) <-- HOPE or PAIN not really underrated ^^
Life <-- YES!
Born To Be... <-- YES!
Beautiful Fighters <-- NO!
Beautiful Day <-- YES!
EnergizE <-- YES!
NEXT LEVEL <-- NO!
ANGEL'S SONG <-- NO!
Close to you <-- YES!
part of Me <-- YES!
In The Corner <-- YES!
Curtain call <-- YES!
no more words <-- YES!
everywhere nowhere (Not enough love for this out there) <-- YES!
GUILTY <-- NO!
Bold & Delicious <-- YES!
It was <-- YES!

CHECK OUT MY NEW REMIXES

ONLY A REAL
click--> Lady Dynamite <-- click
(REMIX)

CAN BE A
click--> Sexy little thing <-- click
(REMIX)

Old 14th May 2009, 02:30 PM
Over Initiate

Definitely. As an official song, it is the most underrated. I do nearly always forget about it.

Other underrated songs is "A", a duet nearly nobody knows about. And End roll (new vocal edition). EVERY TIME someone talk about it in a thread, there is at least 1 person who doesn't know about it. And all new re-records of A BALLADS, except of ASFXX.

But well.. When I say underrated, I mean songs that don't get attention. But in the way, that people like other songs instead.. I just think it's up to people's opinion.

But as identity says. WE WISH doesn't get much intention, and it's actually funny, as every time someone talk about it, everyone says "Oooh, it's just the best ayu song ever!"
Old 14th May 2009, 03:05 PM
MY STORY Initiate

I absolutely adore 'Life', I liked it better than Mirrorcle World when the single came out.

'Born to be...', 'no more words' and 'criminal' are some of my most loved under-rated songs.

AYU ~Countdown Live 2012-2013 ~WAKE UP~ [29.12, 31.12], AYU ~CDL Cirque du Minuet [29.12.14], AYU TROUBLE 18-19 [05.01.19]
Maaya Sakamoto ~Mitsubachi [30.12.12] BABYMETAL [10.01.2015]

BIG BANG [21.10.2015]
Old 14th May 2009, 03:15 PM
WE WISH Initiate

I've tried to like "Life" but it seems so dull.
MW was overshadowed it so much and didn't give much attention.

"From 2004 to 2011, thank you Ayu for sharing your wonderful music to my life..."

Old 14th May 2009, 03:50 PM
Two of us Initiate

Judging by this thread, Life doesn't seem so underrated after all. How about NEXT LEVEL the song? It's perfect for summer and kicks BLUE BIRD's ass.
Old 14th May 2009, 11:38 PM
ANGEL'S SONG H-Initiate

Plenty of people seem to feel as though NEXT LEVEL is a BLUE BIRD clone that didn't succeed. Though I do love the track because it gives me a feeling of... the breeze or something.

And just because people here said they liked Life, doesn't mean that most people do. I think it's one of those things where people come in to say they like ______ but the ones that don't, never say anything at all.
Old 15th May 2009, 01:40 AM
As if.. Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gus-tave View Post
Other underrated songs (songs that don't get a lot of attention):

-Monochrome: I think a lot of people don't like the instrumental that goes with this. I think the lyrics are really interesting.

-Immature: Another song which not many people seem to talk about a lot. The lyrics to this song are really great. I think all of the remixes for this are great.

-Girlish: The vocals in this song are what I think of as the "classic" ayu singing style. It's really catchy and recently I've begun to appreciate it a lot more.

-Fated: I think a lot of people thought this song was boring, (actually, I used to think it was boring) but after I listened to it I really liked it.

-For My Dear: I used to think this song was annoying, but after I really listened to it, I found that I liked it. I think that the vocals really are what make a lot of people not like this song. I think if she re-recorded this song it would be great.

-Present/Replace: I think both of these songs are not liked by many people. They're just really happy songs and I feel like she's directly singing to me when I listen to them.

Those are all I can think of now... Some of these are really not my favorite songs, but they're good and they don't get a lot of attention.

Haha, aside from Present/Replace, you just named several of my favorite older Ayu songs, especially monochrome and immature. And I agree that she needs to rerecord For My Dear... because the PCDL version was awesome.

And when I bought the MW singles, I listened to Life and the 10th anniversary songs WAAAAAY more than I listened to MW itself. Life reminds me of one of my all time favorites, Heartplace, so it was immediately a song I gravitated towards.
Old 16th May 2009, 12:51 AM
ANGEL'S SONG H-Initiate

Quote:
And when I bought the MW singles, I listened to Life and the 10th anniversary songs WAAAAAY more than I listened to MW itself. Life reminds me of one of my all time favorites, Heartplace, so it was immediately a song I gravitated towards.
Someone with an ear for good music! Awesome. lol. Seriously, I don't really understand how people might be able to overlook something like Life.. maybe they just don't like "boring" music.
Old 16th May 2009, 01:43 AM
Initiate

It's funny, every song you mention in the first post I either like or I love. I find it hard to believe that people don't like part of Me--what's not to like about it? D:

As for Life, I didn't think much of it when I first heard it, but it's become a sort of warm comfort-song, I think. It sounds like a session from the MY STORY era (whose songs are all almost flawless, IMO, and I'm astounded to see you mention that people don't like those songs either!), with the obvious difference of her vocals. It makes me a little sad to think that Life will probably just be ignored totally from here on out.

You mentioned GUILTY and I have to say that's one of my favorite recent Ayu songs. I'm not sure how to explain why I like it.. I think it's because it's different for her, even at the height of her 'rock' sound/style. There's this very desolate or forlorn feel to the song in the words, and also in the music--there's something about that steady drone that I think is really effective. It sounds like a person who is honestly distraught over their thoughts or their feelings, reaching a kind of breaking point.

To mention an underrated song, I'd have to say It was achieves that. That's probably one of my favorite tracks off the Secret album. Also I'm not sure how crazy people are about ever free--I know it got an Acoustic Orchestra version but it kind of seems to have been neglected, which is a little upsetting.. I think it's one of her very powerful early tracks.

(and lolwut people don't like NEXT LEVEL? What the hell is wrong with Ayu fans XD)

"If I do, will you come away with me?"
"Yes."

Last edited by Bad Wolf; 16th May 2009 at 01:51 AM.
Old 16th May 2009, 01:52 AM
ANGEL'S SONG H-Initiate

People feel as though NEXT LEVEL is a bad attempt to recreate BLUE BIRD. IMO, NEXT LEVEL is the long lost A-side from BLUE BIRD that was never finished, since the feeling so summery.

And I totally agree with you about It was. It's a simple song with a haunting intro that people don't seem to appreciate enough. -sigh-

People ADORE ever free. They just don't mention it because they either a) haven't heard it or b) they orgasmed about it years ago.
Old 16th May 2009, 02:00 AM
Initiate

Ohh I see, so the buzz from ever free wore off after a while XD Good to know~

See, BLUE BIRD is one of my favorite happysummeryay!Ayu songs ever. Probably the only song of such a style that I like, and I never got a BB vibe from NEXT LEVEL. I don't even think the two sound alike, but that's my opinion, clearly. It does have a summery feel but I think that may also be the PV impacting how people hear the song, as weird as that sounds. The PV is bright and cheerful > people think bright and cheerful > they think summery songs > they think of one of her most popular summer songs... yeah. NEXT LEVEL always reminded me of glitter, to be honest. Not that that's a bad thing, either.

"Yes."

Old 16th May 2009, 02:27 AM
ANGEL'S SONG H-Initiate

Link to ever free.

Just for anyone who hasn't heard ever free yet. Fantastic song.
Old 16th May 2009, 06:35 AM
count down Initiate

ever free is an amazing song, and so is It was. I'm sorry but I personally feel that It was is one of the best tracks in Secret... so hauntingly beautiful, with amazing lyrics, and the emotions in the song is extremely well done as well.

I think Secret is another underrated song... most people just label it as boring, but I mean, how could they? Secret is a really beautiful ballad, and dare I say, more emotional and personal than JEWEL (which everyone, including me, really loves).

YAYAYAYA GAGAGAGA DADADADA WOWOWOWO

Old 17th May 2009, 01:03 AM
Initiate

I always liked Secret more than JEWEL. JEWEL is beautiful and very sweet, but there's something about Secret that sort of stabs at you and "makes you ache" to hear it.

I also think that It was is probably the best song on Secret. That's not my favorite Ayu album in the world, but I have to give it credit for containing two such amazing songs.

"Yes."

Old 18th May 2009, 02:46 AM
As if.. Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterballoon View Post
ever free is an amazing song, and so is It was. I'm sorry but I personally feel that It was is one of the best tracks in Secret... so hauntingly beautiful, with amazing lyrics, and the emotions in the song is extremely well done as well.

I think Secret is another underrated song... most people just label it as boring, but I mean, how could they? Secret is a really beautiful ballad, and dare I say, more emotional and personal than JEWEL (which everyone, including me, really loves).
I agree about ever free and It was, they are both amazing. As for Secret, I also didn't think much of it when I first heard it, but I later realized it was because I was always listening to the album in my car and the song needs to be listened to more carefully to really appreciate it. I like it when I listen to it with headphones!
Old 18th May 2009, 09:55 AM
ANGEL'S SONG H-Initiate

Quote:
It was a very clear day
I laid a white flower softly
By your gentle smiling face

What is beautiful is occasionally sad
Foreboding the farewell to come soon

I couldn't fall into the black line
Got out of it and looked up
I thought of the sky I had seen once

How far, far away
Do you leave for?
Is it so far
That you can never come back?

I want to meet you but can't do so
Please tell him just one thing
That I will never forget
The last tears I was given, and everything
--ever free [ever.. present..]

So. BEAUTIFUL.

Is this song like, about a funeral to herself? -sigh-

I love how she hasn't abandoned themes she used years ago.. consistency is key.
Old 20th May 2009, 02:28 PM
from your letter Initiate

I agree with a lot of you. Life is rather lost in the Ayu-pile because of it's simplicity, but I find it something so sweet and comforting, a song to listen to when you feel down and depressed and needs to get some new warmth. Liar and GUILTY are among my favorite songs, Liar is so emotional and raw, and GUILTY has that haunting and guilty feeling that I enjoy and can relate to. winding road is also really beautiful, both music and song (I'm listening to it right now actually XD), it feels like it's saying: come with me, we can make it someday, even though it's hard! And I LOVE criminal, though the end of the refrains sound a bit weird, it's just simply beautiful! Born To Be... is something for sports, or just a rainy day! And I love Beautiful Day, it's so subtly cheering, another song for a rainy day! Beautiful Fighters is also cheery and another song for sports or a rainy day, or when you feel a bit down, though it's a bit too nasal for me. People don't like monochrome for the instrumentals!? I love the intro a real lot, and though the music becomes less exciting through the song, it becomes smashing in the middle-play!
And I love the A BEST End roll. On the single and LOVEppears it was a bit flat with her voice (but still beautiful!), probably because of her vocal limitations, but on A BEST it became so raw, I love it! The only ayu-song I actually Don't like is Depend on you, it's just too..messy, I guess.
Old 29th May 2009, 09:34 AM
GAME Initiate

Endless Sorrow.

I don't like to watch the PV and automatically hate the song. In the PV, there's no Ayu. I feel like want to crush my computer screen because I had waited excitedly to watch the PV. But I don't see any Ayu's face in the PV. So, I hate the song very much until now.

Facebook
Twitter
Blogspot
Tumblr
Weibo

Old 29th May 2009, 03:55 PM
Initiate

although it's one of the most simple songs from her and sounds like SEASONS , it give me a calm feeling . That's why i love it .

Tags
ayumi hamasaki, life, song, underrated