Discussion: Ayu Critique - Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
· Ayu's Official Site · Ayu's twitter · Ayu's YouTube · masa's translations · Misa-chan's translations ·

Go Back   Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai > Ayumi Hamasaki Forums > Ayu Chat-Room

Notices

Old 23rd April 2021, 07:42 PM
ayu trance Initiate

Discussion: Ayu Critique

I had listened to the trailer before and I'm sorry I hated it. Her singing is just like she's having the duck lips and it's weird to listen to her words. Is she doing that on purpose or is that how she sings now? Kinda lost track on her newer releases. Gosh those "uuuu". The song is good to be honest but her singing just makes me cringe. No matter how I try to like it. Sorry Ayu.😔

rusuke's music Livejournal /// rusuke's music blogspot

Ayumi Hamasaki is my Right wing and GACKT is my Left wing

Loving AYU ~15th AYU-versary~(2002.02.02)

Old 24th April 2021, 04:31 AM
opening Run Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusuke View Post
I had listened to the trailer before and I'm sorry I hated it. Her singing is just like she's having the duck lips and it's weird to listen to her words. Is she doing that on purpose or is that how she sings now? Kinda lost track on her newer releases. Gosh those "uuuu". The song is good to be honest but her singing just makes me cringe. No matter how I try to like it. Sorry Ayu.😔
That's why I don't listen to it again and why it will never be as iconic as Mirrorcle World or Talkin' 2 myself for me for example.
Old 24th April 2021, 01:30 PM
TO BE Initiate

^^My thoughts exactly.
Old 24th April 2021, 04:18 PM
RAINBOW Guardian

Her singing voice changing and having to adjust over time is likely a huge contributor to why we don't get new music from her. It's literally the theme of 23rd Monster, that she has to let go of old standards and embrace who she is now.

It's not to say critique is unwelcome, it's... going to happen on AHS, but when I see comments like "x will never be as iconic as (old hit) and (old hit)" (from over 10 years ago), it just makes me feel the underlying opinion there is that you don't support Ayu. Ultimately, I feel everyone who is still active here should at least support and appreciate her more recent efforts and the struggles she writes about so openly to the listening audience. It gets frustrating to still want to engage with a forum that is meant to be for her fanbase when a lot of the criticism is said without seeming to pay attention to her current circumstances and challenges as an artist.

It's fine to compare to her previous work, it would be weird of us all not to, but the angle with which we do so is important. I'm really happy with 23rd Monster and her vocals, although her singing style has definitely changed, and I do find it interesting when people comment on that and try to describe how - but it's less interesting and more draining when people use their energy to then needlessly compare and drag down her potential now. If you're not bothering to read and sympathise with her lyrics, I'm not sure why people are still following her as closely as to use a fan forum.

As an obligatory mention because I know some might take it like this - not liking her work and talking about that is different to not supporting her. You can't force yourself to like a new style of singing or her new work. But I've seen critique and comments that state that without losing the sentiment of appreciating the artist, and I feel that is the key factor.
Old 24th April 2021, 05:09 PM
Humming 7/4 Initiate

^ that’s what I’ve always wondered. People can use the “I still enjoy her past releases” as an argument, but really an ayu from 10 years ago isn’t releasing music it’s the 2021 ayu, who despite the many challenges and her voice deteriorating still manages to release awesome music. She was never the best of vocalists and her singing was very inconsistent through much of her career, yet she is still very capable of producing great stuff.

I am sure that 16 years ago people were saying how talkin’ 2 myself wasn’t as iconic as SURREAL and how they could not listen to her voice which was most certainly different even then.

Follow me @njanjayrp

Old 24th April 2021, 05:48 PM
Endless sorrow Initiate

^^^ I share those thoughts. Not so long ago I saw an opinion where somebody said they're still hoping ayu might show "it" cause "it" is still in her. To me it's similar to inflicting pain to yourself, just living in the past and spreading not that nice energy to people who enjoy current releases. Not saying it's about all people being critical, but few tend to be on the negative streak. I also think about this forum as a place where I want to find companionship in joy of following ayu's activities and I still do. I see a lot of supportive and kind users and that makes me really happy. I've learned a "look other way" policy when somebody is criticising ayu in a way I find inappropriate. I'm fine when people are respectful and express their thoughts in a civil way

About the song, where do you think we might get the full video? Every week I keep hoping "It's this Friday! For sure!"
Old 24th April 2021, 06:42 PM
opening Run Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by koumori View Post
Her singing voice changing and having to adjust over time is likely a huge contributor to why we don't get new music from her. It's literally the theme of 23rd Monster, that she has to let go of old standards and embrace who she is now.

It's not to say critique is unwelcome, it's... going to happen on AHS, but when I see comments like "x will never be as iconic as (old hit) and (old hit)" (from over 10 years ago), it just makes me feel the underlying opinion there is that you don't support Ayu. Ultimately, I feel everyone who is still active here should at least support and appreciate her more recent efforts and the struggles she writes about so openly to the listening audience. It gets frustrating to still want to engage with a forum that is meant to be for her fanbase when a lot of the criticism is said without seeming to pay attention to her current circumstances and challenges as an artist.

It's fine to compare to her previous work, it would be weird of us all not to, but the angle with which we do so is important. I'm really happy with 23rd Monster and her vocals, although her singing style has definitely changed, and I do find it interesting when people comment on that and try to describe how - but it's less interesting and more draining when people use their energy to then needlessly compare and drag down her potential now. If you're not bothering to read and sympathise with her lyrics, I'm not sure why people are still following her as closely as to use a fan forum.

As an obligatory mention because I know some might take it like this - not liking her work and talking about that is different to not supporting her. You can't force yourself to like a new style of singing or her new work. But I've seen critique and comments that state that without losing the sentiment of appreciating the artist, and I feel that is the key factor.
Wow, the censorship is on. Sweet. Am I supposed to kiss her butt to show "support"?
I made a comparison because just like 2 abovementioned songs the new one is in the same style, style that I like, but the voice prevents me from enjoying it.

Last edited by Chris85; 24th April 2021 at 06:47 PM.
Old 24th April 2021, 08:09 PM
HAPPY ENDING Initiate

How did this discussion get to this? lol...

I remember I liked the song, but I didn't listen to it much because I'm not listening to much music lately. People trash her releases and compare them to something from the past since the first day I started posting on her, and this is over 10 years now.

I do agree though that expecting her to release something like her stuff from 10 years ago is completely useless. People change, perspectives change, voices deteriorate and above it all she is constantly losing her hearing over the years, and this for sure affects the amount of imput and innovation she can put on her production, as much as probably it's the reason she doesn't listen to new much at all.

You can either accept things as they are and that Ayu must fight issues that are way out of her control and that this affects her work, or keep on getting frustrated for as far as she releases music.

http://stan-wars.com/1989.html

I live around AHS (Ayumi Haters Sekai)

Old 24th April 2021, 08:24 PM
TO BE Initiate

I don't know what this is about. Does she really not hear herself well, since she can't hear in one ear, and she has started to lose her hearing in the other ear, so she can't hear how horrible she sounds, or is there no one who wants to tell her that this sounds very bad. Or does she hear herself but she doesn't care? I don't know. But it is impossible to listen to this song with enjoyment. As a fan of hers, I want to enjoy her new songs, but I can't. What can I do? I will enjoy her older songs and tours, which fortunately there are many.
Old 24th April 2021, 08:26 PM
Endless sorrow Initiate

^ The thing is, I dig this song and can't say she sounds bad. That's a skip for you then, maybe whatever comes next will be pleasant for you, which I hope happens - no irony there
Old 24th April 2021, 08:48 PM
poker face Initiate

I don't think it's bad or horrible, it's just different... I liked the song and I'm glad that she wants to release new stuff again.
Old 24th April 2021, 08:58 PM
Memorial address (take 2 version) Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyKathy View Post
I don't know what this is about. Does she really not hear herself well, since she can't hear in one ear, and she has started to lose her hearing in the other ear, so she can't hear how horrible she sounds, or is there no one who wants to tell her that this sounds very bad. Or does she hear herself but she doesn't care? I don't know. But it is impossible to listen to this song with enjoyment. As a fan of hers, I want to enjoy her new songs, but I can't. What can I do? I will enjoy her older songs and tours, which fortunately there are many.
Have you ever stopped to consider that maybe the problem people have with you is not your opinion, but the way you express it and state it as though it’s an indisputable fact?

Fact: Her hearing loss has worsened in recent years.
Fact: Her singing technique has undergone noticeable changes.
Not a fact: “It’s impossible to listen to this song with enjoyment”

You are entitled to feel however you’d like about the song. Hell, you’re entitled to hate it if you really want to. What you’re not entitled to do is throw around accusations of censorship when that’s not even remotely what’s happening here.
Old 24th April 2021, 09:08 PM
TO BE Initiate

Quote:
so she can't hear how horrible she sounds, or is there no one who wants to tell her that this sounds very bad.
I don't want to say what I really want to say but — you get the general idea from this, I hope
Old 24th April 2021, 09:30 PM
TO BE Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by chocopockymaster View Post
Have you ever stopped to consider that maybe the problem people have with you is not your opinion, but the way you express it and state it as though it’s an indisputable fact?

Fact: Her hearing loss has worsened in recent years.
Fact: Her singing technique has undergone noticeable changes.
Not a fact: “It’s impossible to listen to this song with enjoyment”

You are entitled to feel however you’d like about the song. Hell, you’re entitled to hate it if you really want to. What you’re not entitled to do is throw around accusations of censorship when that’s not even remotely what’s happening here.

Who are these people who have a problem with me? Anyway, the block button exists here.

Yes, the fact is that it is impossible to listen to her song with enjoyment. That is my fact. If you don't like it, that's not my problem.
Old 24th April 2021, 09:43 PM
Memorial address (take 2 version) Initiate

Quote:
Who are these people who have a problem with me? Anyway, the block button exists here.

Yes, the fact is that it is impossible to listen to her song with enjoyment. That is my fact. If you don't like it, that's not my problem.
It’s not anyone else’s problem either and yet you’re MAKING it a problem.
Old 24th April 2021, 10:02 PM
TO BE Initiate

I didn't make a problem. Others have made a problem because they don’t like to read that someone doesn’t like something. I will end the discussion here. I have nothing more to say.
Old 24th April 2021, 10:11 PM
Endless sorrow Initiate

^ That's not it. It's about you making your personal opinion sound like a general truth, which it isn't and I don't think there's anything mean in me saying this. It was mentioned here many times that you are more than welcome to not enjoy a song but try to express it in a less dogmatic way. As I said earlier, there's definitely more to come so there's hope you will like it better
Old 24th April 2021, 11:08 PM
TO BE Initiate

I speak for myself and what I think. Everyone else can think differently. I hope we all have the freedom to say what we think here. That's why the forum serves. At least that's how it should be.
Old 24th April 2021, 11:34 PM
TO BE Initiate

It’s bad for me, especially the chorus. It's the same with DaD. In Ohio no Ki she sounds better. Maybe because it’s a ballad.
Old 25th April 2021, 01:05 AM
too late Initiate

People saying she sounding horrible makes me think about my opinion on her early years vocals. One of the reasons I disliked UNITE! so much back then is how high-pitched and out of her reach the vocals are. However, my perception changed over the years and now I'm in peace with Ayu's 2000/2001 vocals (even it's not my favorite period of her voice).

When she released GUILTY, a lot of old fans hated her direction, 'cause her vocals were so much deeper and she didn't reach the same notes Ayu from the past did. There's obviously the deafness factor to consider, but even way before it was a question we had the same discussions over how she sounds.

Other thing we have to pay attention is she is almost a voice actor, she makes her voice changes on purpose to fit the "character" of the song better. Even with the "potato voice" going on, her voice in "Dreamed a Dream", "Haru yo, Koi" and "23rd Monster" sound so much different and, after 23 years from her debut, we should get used to it lol

slow down, you won't get there by hurrying
gonna find out if the hard work was worth it
i know it's somewhere in me
i'm just tryna find love

Last edited by summerain; 25th April 2021 at 01:08 AM.