AKB48 Member Has Shaved Her Head Over "Sex Scandal" - Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
· Ayu's Official Site · Ayu's twitter · Ayu's YouTube · masa's translations · Misa-chan's translations ·

Go Back   Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai > Music Forums > Asian Music Chat

Notices

Old 1st February 2013, 05:42 PM
BEST Initiate

AKB48 Member Has Shaved Her Head Over "Sex Scandal"

This is just so disturbing I barely even know what to say about it. It really speaks poorly of Japan's music industry and the society.

TL;DR: The AKB48 member Minegishi Minami was photographed leaving her apparent boyfriend's apartment late one night. Now she's shaved her head and posted an apology video in an effort to beg for forgiveness.

A 20 year-old woman shamed for having sex with her boyfriend!

http://www.thevine.com.au/entertainm...shame-shaving/
Quote:
The scenario is not an unusual one. Celebrity leaves their significant others’ apartment (see: attempts an anonymous walk of shame) and is caught by voracious paparazzi. News outlets go bananas distributing the pictures, construct horrendous headlines, and subsequently up their weekly magazine sales/ daily website traffic. The sun sets, and a new pseudo-scandal emerges faster than you can say “Lindsay Lohan.”

In Japan, however, things work a little differently. There's no nonchalance about the private lives of pop idols. Minegishi Minami, a female member of the country’s AKB48 pop supergroup, has been shamed after she was caught leaving the apartment of Alan Shirahama, another pop star, with group Generations, and apparently also her boyfriend. Photos of her leaving his house in a white breathing mask and trucker cap were published by a gossip magazine, Shukan Bunshun.

Once the 20-year-old singer’s sexual escapades became publicised, Minami did not give paps the finger, tell her fans it “aint nobody’s business” or simply tweet a non-apology. Instead, she felt implored – thanks to some very public ****-shaming – to shave her head and, subsequently, make the below video (I found it deeply emotive, even though I can’t understand a word).

Wait... what? She shaved her hair off because she had sex, with her boyfriend? Right.

Apparently, what makes the scandal so salacious is that confirmation of Minami’s relationship ruins the allure of constructed fantasies for male fans of the group. The Japanese public (specifically, their teenage male fan base) feel less personally connected to stars who they think might have romantic lives. In fact, members of AKB48 are strictly forbidden from dating whilst in the group.

Anyway, you can read her full translated statement below and quietly celebrate the brazen sex-infused culture we live in. If nothing else, Britney aside, at least perpetual celebrity heartbreakers can keep their locks on.

“I’m Minegishi Minami from Umeda team B of AKB48.

I’m very sorry to have caused enormous worry to members, fans, staffs, my families and a lot of other people with the article in the weekly magaizne that is published today.

(Deep Bow)

As the 1st generation member of AKB48, the group that has formed in 2005, it’s my responsibility to always behave as a good role model to juniors. I deeply regret what I did this time. It was a thoughtless deed and I was completely lacking self-awareness as a senior member.

My brain blanked out and I’m still unable to figure out what to do, what I can do. But after I saw the magazine a little ago, I couldn’t help but doing something. And I decided to shave my head without consulting any member or staff at my agency.

Although I don’t think I would be forgiven by doing this, the first thing that I went through my head was that “I don’t want to leave AKB48.”

This is a place where my dear members, who I spent my blossom of youth together, are. And it’s unimaginable to even think about leaving the group where I’m with so many wonderful and sweet fans.

I understand it’s wishful thinking, but if it’s possible, I would like to still be AKB48′s Minegishi Minami.

This is all my fault.

I’m truly sorry.

I will leave my hereafter to the hands of Akimoto-sensei and management.

Though I haven’t been able to tidy my mind up, but I just wanted to tell my current feeling to you.

Thank you so much for listening to me.”

--

The compromising culture surrounding K-Pop and Japanese groups has been widely documented by the media. There have been many cases where the popstars have been mistreated and made to sign contracts committing them to ludicrous working hours, abstaining from relationships and aligning themselves with certain political views for the sake of the band's image and sellability. More on The New Yorker and BBC.

Last edited by SheFliesHigher; 1st February 2013 at 05:47 PM.
Old 1st February 2013, 05:59 PM
End of the World Initiate

I can't with this. It's... disgusting. It was probably forced on her to do, but even if it wasn't, the fact that she was in a position where she felt that was part of an apology to keep her career. I know head shaving has a cultural significance... but what she did hardly justified it. It's horrible.

And for the people saying "she knew what would happen", you are just as bad as the system. Yes, these girls choose to become idols and know what restrictions come with that, but those restrictions shouldn't exist in the first place. The whole mindset that creates a whole system that feeds of the virginal purity ideal... it's gross. Especially considering that many of them are not girls, they're women, old enough to be given the responsibility to make their own decision, but no - they can't, because some skanky ass fans think their idol is some chaste goddess who lives for their whims and desire.

It's like... all those preteen girls go on tumblr and twitter and fanwank when One Direction or something have girlfriends, but the industry doesn't feed, pander to and support this mindset to a dangerous level. One Direction still have girlfriends. The consequences? Some 12 year old girl cries herself to sleep for a week and cringes at herself a year later when she's over it. Japan? Public humiliation, professional consequences and apologies. For being a human and wanting a relationship.

To be honest, I think the whole issue goes way beyond JUST the idol industry, but that's another rant.

...I have a lot of opinions on this.

Last edited by relmy; 1st February 2013 at 06:01 PM.
Old 1st February 2013, 06:02 PM
glitter Initiate

This is just wrong, in so many levels. I don't feel sorry for her, the entire situation just makes me angry. That's all.
Old 1st February 2013, 06:03 PM

... I have no words for this except that I feel so bad for this girl. A woman's hair is often one of the most precious things they have...

Edit: they knew it was her from this?!?

AegyoPOP ♦ Asian music downloads

Last edited by kimmeh; 1st February 2013 at 06:09 PM.
Old 1st February 2013, 06:16 PM
BEST Initiate

There's no doubt she was forced to do this by her record company. The contracts these girls sign with these companies would be absolutely unenforceable in the US. It's sick.

At least there are some members of the Japanese public that are outraged by this. We'll have to see if their voices are greater in strength and number than the voices of those who approve or shrug their shoulders.

From 2ch
Quote:
YouTube is international, a Japanese shame to the world.
It’s just like a girl being a hostage of terrorists and apologizing or something.
From Itai News
Quote:
This is a human rights matter now. The Japanese media is bloody useless and I don’t suppose they can’t recognize what they've done or atone for it until they get forced to by external pressure.
More info and more highlighted comments from Japanese news sources here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by relmy View Post
To be honest, I think the whole issue goes way beyond JUST the idol industry, but that's another rant.
Yes, you are absolutely right.
Old 1st February 2013, 06:32 PM

I sent the link to my japanese friend. She replied;

"I was surprised to see it.
Members of AKB48 cannot date with any guys because they are idol.
Since her scandal about dating with some guy, Yasushi Akimoto forced her to cut her hair in a short crop style
What AKB48 is doing is really unique in Japan, I think."

Two things here. She is saying that akimoto forced her, and this is a rather unqiue reaction... That AKB48 is not following the norm by doing this

Old 2nd February 2013, 01:27 AM
walking proud Initiate

Yeah, I heard about this from some of my Japanese friends (who are men). They found the whole thing absurd as well. I think a lot of the male Japanese populace is actually changing with the times, just the business industry hasn't actually caught on to that yet.
Old 2nd February 2013, 02:13 AM
Virgin Road Initiate

it's very confusing and sad...

but i feel weird that she said, she hasn't consulted to shaved her head with staff, but the video can be uploaded to official AKB48 account. it's just weird, then her management and agency know about all this.

Ayumi Hamasaki...Queen of my life...

Last edited by AyuGAME; 2nd February 2013 at 02:36 PM.
Old 2nd February 2013, 12:26 PM
SURREAL H-Initiate

^ She may have organized the apology, but she may have shaved her head before coming into the recording. At her home, dressing room, etc.

"Remember, don't let others dictate your music taste. If you like whatever you're listening to, keep listening to it."

Old 2nd February 2013, 12:46 PM
No way to say Initiate

She knew what she was getting into when she became an idol, soo..too bad.
Old 2nd February 2013, 04:01 PM

This case has now been covered by Norwegian media.. Now they probably think everything in Japan like this..

Old 2nd February 2013, 04:12 PM
BLUE BIRD Protector

So sickening.

did you imagine this kind of future?

@luckynekolady instagram

Old 2nd February 2013, 08:14 PM
fairyland Initiate

I saw this on arama. She looked heartbreaking in that video.

Old 3rd February 2013, 12:13 AM

A 20 year old woman isn't allowed to have sex (with her boyfriend) because of her agency and contract. That's really sick. Sad to see human rights are trampled on again in AKB48 or respectively in the idol industrie. Time that things change finally.
Old 3rd February 2013, 12:25 AM
Virgin Road Initiate

The video is gone??? i've watched it...i want to know how many peoples have watched it, but it's gone now...

and there is new video, what is this about?

Ayumi Hamasaki...Queen of my life...

Old 3rd February 2013, 01:48 AM
Beautiful Day Initiate

It's a terrible thing...
I feel bad for her.
Old 3rd February 2013, 04:00 AM
Beautiful Day Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyuGAME View Post
The video is gone??? i've watched it...i want to know how many peoples have watched it, but it's gone now...

and there is new video, what is this about?
Yeah, I'm kind of wondering...maybe check stage48.net?
Old 3rd February 2013, 05:29 AM
And Then Initiate

I like AKB48 but this is ridiculous. What is WRONG with the companies over there? Jeez. They need to get with the times. This is the 21st century. A lady can have sex and a boyfriend if she wants to.

I hope Minami feels better soon...

<º)))>< <º)))>< <º)))><

Old 3rd February 2013, 06:23 AM
glitter Initiate

This is such a mess. It made it into the mainstream media all over the World... If they wanted attention they are certainly getting it
Old 3rd February 2013, 02:37 PM
SURREAL H-Initiate

I've been thinking about this a lot recently and, she's an idol. It's kind of a specific job title, and the rule that she broke comes with that job title. It's a rule that follows many an idol, male and female, and has been a rule for awhile now.

Idols aren't thought of as... individuals. They're a fabricated product created and employed to make money for businessmen.
Spoiler:
I mean, "aidoru" are not usually referred to ever as being "kashu (歌手)" or "singer" by fans/onlookers. They have their own category. Nor are they considered/referred to as "recording artists." (Of course this is all in Japanese societal views). I've never heard anyone say "suki na kashu wa Itano Tomomi desu" (or "My favorite singer is Itano Tomomi")--it's "suki na aidoru wa Itano Tomomi desu" ("My favorite idol is Itano Tomomi"). Perhaps others have heard such things, but I certainly haven't...Where as Ayu, Kuu, Namie are referred to as "singer" despite being "idolized" by fans. More recently they're all pretty much referred to as "utahime" (歌姫) or "songstress".

Idols here who have boyfriends lose popularity and thus lose sales. It's different than in the west or other parts of the world. It might be strange/unaccepted/etc., but, the thinking is that if we stop them from having boyfriends/girlfriends, they are able to get us money for a longer amount of time.

Also, it protects the career of the idols. For as long as they don't have a relationship, they will have a job. Theoretically.

Idols don't become idols to have freedom. Freedom is what normal people have. They do it for fame. With fame comes commitment, and she failed to follow it (like many before her--again, this is -not- the first time an idol has been caught and then demoted from a group).

Instead of accepting her possibility of being demoted and/or removed from AKB, she took a different action and shaved her head in an attempt to gain some forgiveness.

If you take away the shaved head, this issue becomes very minute in the Japanese entertainment industry. It becomes breach of contract and something that happens pretty frequent.

But now it's breach of contract + shell shock the entire world + broadcast to millions of people.

Do I agree with the rule, no--I think it's stupid. I was really upset when Yaguchi Mari left Morning Musume upon being caught in a relationship with Oguri Shun. But she went on to do other things--she took responsibility for what she did and she bowed out gracefully.

I know I may have a rather frank opinion of the matter (also unpopular opinion?), but like... it's happened before and only got such major attention now because she shaved her head.

I don't know. I feel for her, but it just seems completely blown out of proportion...
And to say Akimoto would force this on her is a bit unfair in my opinion. He's managed some of the most successful female idols in the past 30 years and this is the first time I hear of anything quite like this happening...If anything, this reflects badly on him whether or not it was forced.

"Remember, don't let others dictate your music taste. If you like whatever you're listening to, keep listening to it."

Last edited by tokyoxjapanxfan; 3rd February 2013 at 03:00 PM.