Is Ayu famous where you live? - Page 5 - Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
· Ayu's Official Site · Ayu's twitter · Ayu's YouTube · masa's translations · Misa-chan's translations ·

Go Back   Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai > Ayumi Hamasaki Forums > Ayu Chat-Room

Notices

View Poll Results: Is she?
Yes! 53 11.73%
No... 399 88.27%
Voters: 452. You may not vote on this poll

Old 24th November 2009, 02:50 AM
BRILLANTE Initiate

No. in Australia very few people who like Ayu even that know Ayu. only minority asian people here
Old 24th November 2009, 12:48 PM
Two of us Initiate

Hmm .. If Ayu reads this thread, she'd have a pretty good idea which places she could visit incognito if she wanted too. Sadly she'd last less than a day here since one of her stoutest fans works at our airport.

I can imagine the reaction that would ensue if she pops into a supermart on Orchard Road like she did on one of the threads earlier this year.
Old 27th November 2009, 03:27 AM
NEVER EVER Initiate

No, sadly. But an interesting thing to note is that a local library carries her Secret and BEST 2 -BLACK- and -WHITE- albums. O_o It's awesome but strange...

So there's that.... and me and my best friend are the only and biggest fans of Ayu in our school. That's as famous as she'll get here, I think. =T

Subbed Kuu | driving_angel @ WKKW | Kuu GIFs

Old 27th November 2009, 12:14 PM
Mirror Initiate

everyone knows ayu in hk!
Old 27th November 2009, 03:12 PM
Two of us Initiate

No. ^^°
Nobody knows her here.
Old 2nd December 2009, 05:40 AM
Two of us Initiate

a few ere in the Philippines. Around 1k people knows ayu but they dont like her hehe. They're more on jrock.
Old 3rd January 2010, 09:14 PM
Initiate

She is popular in China, because she got a really huge promotion with a beverage company in 2001/02. And besides, her name is easy and normal to pronounce, which makes her accepted I think.
Old 3rd January 2010, 09:30 PM
A BALLADS Initiate

Here in Germany J-Rock and Visual Kei is actually pretty popular, you can say like 10% of the people know at least one j-rock or visual kei group, but pop, let alone ayu? I know one Utada fan, introduced her to Ayu and she loved untitled, but that's it.
Old 4th January 2010, 12:07 AM
End of the World Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love Shine View Post
Why is it that all the "female anime lovers" like that Visual stuff? I have a friend who is a crazed anime freak and it's the same with her. Kinda gets on my nerves...

Anywho, Ayu is completely unknown where I am in Canada, however in Vancouver, where there is a much higher Asian population I assume she would be slightly more well known. Although there is a mall here near Toronto called Pacific which is this huge Asian mall, and they sell lots of Ayu stuff. Her newest CDs and everything!
I think people like Vk because theres so much emphasis on looking different (sometimes at the expense of the music?), so it appeals to people who want to stand out. Im so happy that Dir en Grey stepped out of that genre, because I really dislike VK.
Yeah, Pacific mall is the place for anything East Asian. But, unfortunately that is no indication of popularity.
Old 5th January 2010, 04:16 AM
Over Initiate

only the chinese community know who she is and then there's the anime/jpop fans
probably... 40%?!

~Turn out the light~Turn up the bass~I wanna be front and center~Bring on the night~

Old 5th January 2010, 02:20 PM
RED LINE ~for TA~ Initiate

she's not popular here...

although I met two people who knew who she was this past semester.

I was very surprised~ lol

Granted, more people in California probably know her than in any other state... but that's mostly because of our demographics and access to the culture. People in general don't know who she is.

☆ bunnnniiiieeeesssss ☆

- The "New Artists You're Trying Out" Thread -

don't forget to spread the kuu

Last edited by emi♡; 5th January 2010 at 02:23 PM.
Old 5th January 2010, 03:57 PM
YOU Initiate

I live in Utah and only a couple of people know her but I'm her number 1 fan here. :]
Old 5th January 2010, 04:16 PM
As if.. Initiate

Well obviously in Japan where I am she is famous,

however back home, in America. I was really surprised at the amount of people that knew of her.

Some of her quotes are even taught in U.S. schools. A friend of mine was in school and they are talking about Ayumi's quote "It's my job to realize people's dreams" or something to that effect.

Ayumi is better known in bigger citys like NYC/LA/Chicago, many of my friends are from those places and they've met other people that have heard of her.

In my community back home, I would say about........ hmm... 300~500 out of 4,000 people were aware of who she was.

I don't know if they were allowed to but the local radio station would play Talkin' 2 myself once in awhile after midnight. I don't even know how they got it. It's one of those stations that plays everything. It has no specific genre.

However t2m was the only song by her I ever heard on it.

T2M was also played on a radio station in Los Angeles, I heard from a friend of mine. also after midnight sadly. I thought it was pretty neat though!

EDIT: Oh and P.S. to the LA part the friend worked at a radio station in LA, so she actually played it on purpose.. , for the first part from my area, I have no idea how it got on the radio there..

EDIT 2: I also just found out that RULE was played in America too. Due to that one movie's release.

Last edited by Izzette; 5th January 2010 at 04:21 PM.
Old 7th January 2010, 03:22 PM
Two of us Initiate

No.
In Brazil, people love songs like "Rihanna", "Britney Spears", or Lady Gaga. Or they listen to "samba" or "MPB". But i think this is very very boring...
Only otakus or anime fans know about her.
Old 13th January 2010, 03:02 AM
forgiveness Initiate

^even otakus in pennsylvania don't know who ayu is. I went to zenkaikon last year and no one really knew anything about jpop. :/ the only japanese songs any otaku ever knew was from the opening or closing of an anime. except during the karaoke contest, one person sang easy breezy by utada, but not only did she hold the booklet with the lyrics in it, it sounded like she wasn't prepared to sing the song and made tons of mistakes. and easy breezy is in english. D< she prob. sung the song one time in her life before she did it for the contest. <<

I've never met an ayumi hamasaki fan in my life. *wind blows.....tumbleweed....*
Old 13th January 2010, 04:01 AM
Greatful days Initiate

I've a few people... One girl at my school loves J-Pop. She's super into ARASHI but she listens to a little bit of everything. She knows Ayu, Hikki, Kuu and Namie~ There's another girl at my school who knows Hikki and 'Dearest' from Ayu because she is a big anime fan. Other than that, I've met one girl from another school in my area who also liked J-Rock and knew of Ayu.

Many, many people at my school know of Utada because of Simple and Clean & Come Back To Me but they don't listen to her. Also, I'd say pretty much everyone who is even an acquaintance of mine knows who Ayu and Hikki is.

I feel blessed to have other fans and just people who know who they are around me.
Old 15th January 2010, 09:01 PM
HAPPY ENDING Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightGirl View Post
No.
In Brazil, people love songs like "Rihanna", "Britney Spears", or Lady Gaga. Or they listen to "samba" or "MPB". But i think this is very very boring...
Only otakus or anime fans know about her.
U r searching on the wrong places, cuz I know lots of jpop fans here on Brazil

http://stan-wars.com/1989.html

I live around AHS (Ayumi Haters Sekai)

Old 21st January 2010, 12:21 AM
still alone Initiate

Location: Uruguay (little south american country, have you heard of it??)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrenekoi View Post
U r searching on the wrong places, cuz I know lots of jpop fans here on Brazil
It's true, but nothing compared to the entire population... I found multiple fans specially in Sao Paulo, for its asian population and being such a huge "metropolis"
Old 21st January 2010, 12:27 AM
forgiveness Initiate

You know, if I could meet one ayu fan in real life, that would be cool. >>

Actually, I've only ever met one, at a store for about 30 seconds in new york city in kinokuniyas.We were both looking through the jpop cds the store had and both our hands reached for her "secret" album. They only had cd only, though so I didn't buy it in the end. anyways, when she realized I liked ayu she started talking about her collection., she rambled on about her audience single, and this was when I was new to ayu so i was just like "ok...yeah...*nod nod*" the whole time lol.

Of course, imo I really don't count that as an "ayumi hamasaki fan meeting experience" lol

Last edited by Picaflor 7/4; 21st January 2010 at 12:30 AM.
Old 21st January 2010, 01:02 AM
Heartplace Initiate

I already posted here... but this year I started a degree of Asian studies... we are like 90 in class... and I can say tat 50 or more know ayu, though only 10-15 like her and only 1 (me!) is a hardcore fan... XD They are more into boybands... NEWS, Arashi, KAT TUN.. and also K-pop boybands!! O.O

Today a girl said me: oh, you like Ayu? yeah I know her and like some songs, buy I don't like her personality... (me: oouugh.... whyy? xD) and more than 5 people have come to ask me about my A necklace *-* I'm happy to be in a class full of j-pop fans, and also people who likes Ayu ^^

I think that Barcelona (and surroundings) is a city FULL of Ayu fans, and also more parts of Spain... but I know a lot of Ayufans here!!

How to join Team Ayu! ~