About Ayumi lip-synching - Page 2 - Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
· Ayu's Official Site · Ayu's twitter · Ayu's YouTube · masa's translations · Misa-chan's translations ·

Go Back   Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai > Ayumi Hamasaki Forums > Enquiries

Notices

Old 17th June 2006, 06:41 AM
ayu trance Initiate

^ Please don't spam.

There's already enough threads about this.. :[
Old 17th June 2006, 06:48 AM
I am... Initiate

ive never seen her lipsync on any tour, and i have them all except COUNTDOWN LIVE 2005/2006 but i have heard various specualtion about it.and since i don't watch TV performances, i dunno about those.
Old 17th June 2006, 08:03 AM
walking proud Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by immel
I know it's not common that she does, but it has happened. I suspect there's already a thread like this somewhere, I could not find any. I belive this can be a thread of it's own.

I do not blame her for it and I do not care, she got her reasons. I simply want to know, I enjoy knowledge .

I am amazed by the Japanese "live" culture, TV shows and concerts is always live. In the US/Europe entire concerts being lip-synched is not too uncommon, and TV show apperances are rarely live.
Yeah, I'm always continually impressed by how often these artists sing live. Even if it is someone with a less than great voice, they still at least sing live. It's an eye opener watching the MTV VMA Japan awards and seeing Kelly Rowland and whoever else was the girl that performed, clearly lip synching and then Koda (and every other Japanese artist for that matter) comes out and NO lip synching. Even though Koda is moving all over the place, she still is singing live. I just do not buy the excuse that so many American artists give that they HAVE to lipsynch because of dance moves. That is such a lazy cop out. Consider a group like Morning Musume - if they were a US group, I guarantee they would be the kind of group to lip synch - yet they do not. They tour nearly year round and perform concerts twice a day with non stop dancing and running yet they sing LIVE each time. It's very impressive and thus I have no tolerance for artists that do lip synch, because there is NO good excuse for doing it.

As for Ayu lip synching, there have been a few instances, but never for a whole song I don't think. But yes, the performance of Theme of A Nation at last years CDL is very questionable. You have to see the TV version of it though, not the DVD. The DVD was edited around it. But in the TV version they have a close up of her face and her lips for a second are not making the formation that would be needed for the sound that was coming out. The times that I have seen her live though, I am sure she wasn't lip synching - you can usually tell right away.

Also, I don't consider the Audience performance at MS to be lip synching.

Quote:
Originally Posted by immel

I watched the Fly High performance, it seemed like she was really bothered by something or didn't feel well, she seemed confused overall, especially after the song. Or is it just my imagination ?

In the beginning, during the rap part when she isn't singing, it looks like someone walks up to her and tells her to, or is that just someone in the background?
She was just excited about winning the award. This was right after Fly High came out, and in the first two performances of this song, she didn't do the rap part - Probabally hadn't figured out how to do it well live yet.

Last edited by SunshineSlayer; 17th June 2006 at 08:14 AM.
Old 17th June 2006, 08:08 AM
1 LOVE Initiate

which "Fry High" performance you guys are talking about?? *blurs* are you guys very sure that she lip-synched during HAPPY ENDING for AT 2005? i thought the vocals were modified to perfection before released as a DVD? remember Startin' in CDL 05 ~ 06 as well as theme of a-nation '03? she screwed both songs up but in the DVD, she sang with perfection.

my point is that we cant really trust anything on DVD.
Old 17th June 2006, 08:19 AM
winding road Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by alternarist
which "Fry High" performance you guys are talking about??
look on the front page. they have the fly high performance link on there...the japanese guy calls it fry high, though XP
Old 17th June 2006, 08:26 AM
walking proud Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiu-Ayu
Ok that is so wrong! Remember Trauma from CDL 2004-2005? She forgot the words? Well, there is no way that is lip synced and she was wearing a head mic.

Ayu does do it sometimes (all singers do) I noticed in Beautiful Fighters that some of her lip movements were way off!

Anyway, I've never seen her lip sync to my knowledge. At least if she does do it she's smart enough not to get caught!
Yeah, head mic for most American artists = lip synching, Head mic for Ayu does not.

I talked about this in my review of the 2nd Saitama show this year when Ayu got stuck in the alterna ball and performed 2 songs on the headset mic, that she usually does on a regular mic. Let me go find that paragraph and paste it here: "Also on a related note, this kind of messes with the theory that wearing a head set mic usually means that the artist is lip synching. Because she wore a head set mic for these performances. The first night I wondered if she lip sanc alterna simply because it didn't seem like she would be able to sing with all of the theatrics that were going on with the ball and all the moving around inside of it etc. But she was obviously singing is this LOVE? and (m)U on the headset mic live, so when this DVD comes out and people start saying that she lip sanc alterna(many people probably will say that once they see it), I'm going to give her the benefit of the doubt and say no, she didn't."
Old 17th June 2006, 12:05 PM
MY ALL Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunshineSlayer
It's an eye opener watching the MTV VMA Japan awards and seeing Kelly Rowland and whoever else was the girl that performed, clearly lip synching and then Koda (and every other Japanese artist for that matter) comes out and NO lip synching.
Definately .

Quote:
The DVD was edited around it. But in the TV version they have a close up of her face and her lips for a second are not making the formation that would be needed for the sound that was coming out.
It can have to do with bad timing on sound/cameras for the TV version, especially as it is only a short(?) clip, but yeah, it really is questionable.

Quote:
Also, I don't consider the Audience performance at MS to be lip synching.
I don't either, I should have put it in a separate category.

Quote:
She was just excited about winning the award. This was right after Fly High came out, and in the first two performances of this song, she didn't do the rap part - Probabally hadn't figured out how to do it well live yet.
Ah, thanks for the information, now it makes a bit more sense why I found her to be confused.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alternarist
which "Fry High" performance you guys are talking about?? *blurs* are you guys very sure that she lip-synched during HAPPY ENDING for AT 2005? i thought the vocals were modified to perfection before released as a DVD?
That is true, when there's no TV version to compare to we can never be entirely sure. They can just have replaced her failing voice with the CD track for the DVD.

Quote:
Yeah, head mic for most American artists = lip synching, Head mic for Ayu does not.
Doesn't also MM often, or nearly always, use head-mics for their live performances? And it's always live .

Quote:
I talked about this in my review of the 2nd Saitama show this year when Ayu got stuck in the alterna ball and performed 2 songs on the headset mic, that she usually does on a regular mic.
I had that paragraph in mind when writing the first post.

martinstark.net - ayuready? episodes - facebook - twitter
Old 17th June 2006, 02:56 PM
Born To Be... Initiate

Location: Australia-Brisbane, where kangaroos jump around my backyard
i suspect Ayu lipsynching a couple of times in her concerts, i don't think that Audience performance should be counted as lipsynching she did sing the verses without the backup

the backup was put on for the chorus and during the end

Quote:
Originally Posted by sora2522
look on the front page. they have the fly high performance link on there...the japanese guy calls it fry high, though XP
i think iknow who your talking about, is he the guy with a buc mic? and i think glasses?

yeah he also says "Voyage" as "Boyage"

Last edited by devilayu; 18th June 2006 at 06:53 PM.
Old 17th June 2006, 06:28 PM
1 LOVE Initiate

haha. but i think its understandable for ayu to lip-synch occasionally in her tours. i mean. look at the DVD, she did that entire thingy at least 20 times.
Old 18th June 2006, 10:05 AM
ANGEL'S SONG H-Initiate

There's one SEASONS performance which was totally lipsynched.. I think it was from Morning Music or w/e xD

http://youtube.com/watch?v=s09LqUT5L...yumi%20seasons

Here it is~ :p One of the rarest things from Ayu.. a full lipsynched performance. First I've ever seen.
Old 18th June 2006, 10:45 AM
Banned

...that's why immel posted it.

immel, if you were referring to the very end of the performance, when she "forgot" and "notices her mistake immediately," it wasn't her forgetting the backing vocals in the performance. She stuck out the mic for the audience to sing along.
She just brought the mic back to her mouth so quickly to sing the last few syllables.
Old 18th June 2006, 11:57 AM
MY ALL Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by PickleCookies
immel, if you were referring to the very end of the performance, when she "forgot" and "notices her mistake immediately," it wasn't her forgetting the backing vocals in the performance. She stuck out the mic for the audience to sing along.
Yeah, it's noticeable that's the reason, I thought she did so because she forgot about the backing vocals when the audience was so excited, it's only a guess from my part because to me it looks like the immediately brings it back to her mouth, smiling because she noticed it just seemed silly with the backing vocals going. You can ofcourse be correct too, hehe.

Old 18th June 2006, 04:26 PM
Replace Initiate

Yeah, I have noticed that alot of her live performances on TV play backing tracks (during hard parts at the very least)... that way if she doesn't quite hit the note, it still sounds alright. And she's slightly flat fairly often so i'm not surprised they take that precaution.

I'm not 100% sure if I've heard her lipsync in concert, but I think on the DVD, when they fix the vocals so they're not flat or anything, they sometimes dub over with the album version when the mic cuts out completely or her voice sounds really irreparably weak. At Concert Tour 2000 Act 2, the beginning (and I mean only the very first line) of LOVE ~Destiny~ sounds EXACTLY like the album version, but the rest doesn't. And I haven't seen the DVD version of CDL 01-02, but on the TV version her mic completely cuts out during Connected. Like COMPLETELY. No idea how they took care of that, does anyone know?
Old 18th June 2006, 04:30 PM
talkin' 2 myself Initiate

I believe "Greatful Days" was lip-synching in "A MUSEUM".

Girls' Generation is .

Old 18th June 2006, 04:32 PM
MY ALL Initiate

^I want to know why you think so . I've only watched that concert once and it was some time ago so I don't remember it in particular. I will re-watch it when I get back home - in 2 weeks - I belive.

Old 18th June 2006, 07:21 PM
1 LOVE Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by asongforXX
haha. i dont think so. coincidentally, i am watching A Museum NOW. i can hear some of her words are flat due to some actions or taking breaths. i dont think its lip-synching.
Old 18th June 2006, 11:31 PM
walking proud Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by asongforXX
I think in order to make the lip synching claim, you have to actually see Ayu live for yourself. The DVDs can't necassarily be trusted, because Avex in the past has edited them. The times that I have seen her live, I can say that no, in concert she does not lip synch.
Old 18th June 2006, 11:37 PM
MY ALL Initiate

Quote:
The DVDs can't necassarily be trusted, because Avex in the past has edited them.
I wonder if they'll do anything to Born To Be... in this years DVD. On the first performance I went to she could barely handle the song, it sounded better at the second performance though. Or maybe she did well on the last show.

Old 18th June 2006, 11:44 PM
talkin' 2 myself Initiate

Last time I saw the concert, her vocals sounded exactly like the CD version. When Ayu sings live, it doesn't sound like the CD version. But "Greatful Days" was very similiar to the song itself. But maybe that's just me...

Girls' Generation is .

Old 19th June 2006, 12:29 AM
ANGEL'S SONG H-Initiate

Greatful Days is a song that, in my opinion, is tailored to Ayu's voice. xD There's no real strain when singing it so it sounds good..ish when she sings it~ :p

Yay XD And it looks like she sang it. :p