Why do you think Guilty only got only number 2 on Oricon? - Page 2 - Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
· Ayu's Official Site · Ayu's twitter · Ayu's YouTube · masa's translations · Misa-chan's translations ·

Go Back   Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai > Ayumi Hamasaki Forums > Enquiries

Notices

Old 8th January 2009, 10:01 AM
LIKE A CRYSTAL H-Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunshineSlayer View Post

Actually with Arashi's sales these days, it would be all over for both Ayu and Kinki.... Arashi is definitely the King of JE right now and deservedly so actually because usually Johnny's groups experience their biggest popularity in their first year or two of release but for Arashi it took 10 years to get to that point.
ARASHI's sales weren't so fantastic when they 1st debuted in '99 . It was only until last year that they really hit the big time as before Happiness , it was quite difficult for them to sell that well , let alone for singles .

& of course 2008 was such a great year for the guys , with all 4 singles crossing the 300K mark with ease in which truth / Kaze no Mukou e & One Love rounded up to be Japan's 1st & 2nd best selling single overall

Step and Go was the 1st single onwards to sell more than 300K onwards in the 1st week & this year will be their 10th anniversary

Quote:
Originally Posted by SURREAL__RAINBOW View Post
many reasons!

-bcose ayu aint as popular as bfore (secret didn't sell that much anyway too, lucky that it got 1st place)
-bcose the album didnt look that promising (the covers were boring for an album, just like any random fashion magazine)
-it didn't have enough songs I think
-maybe the name of the album scared people (who knows lol)
-other singers released in the same date
-the news of her hearing problems
-etc etc etc

but well, lets b positive! her next album must b better ^^
nah I don't think news of her hearing problems contribute to that , it doesn't make sense to me

Dedicated BRZ fan since 2008 debut single ♪ | team brz member ♥ | BREAKERZ BIRTHDAY PARTY 2024 ♥

My JPop Blog | My Twitter | BRZ Thread 47 | BRZ LiveJournal | BRZ Official Site

Last edited by KarenPang; 8th January 2009 at 10:04 AM.
Old 8th January 2009, 10:05 AM
Secret Initiate

The only things that affected the sales were that CD sales were already declining. The cover ain't gonna make someone not buy an album...if it does...then LOL at you.

Anyway, she decided to compete with other famous singers who have stronger sales, so basically Ayu's traditional New Years album ruined her album streak.

and that two week crap with Oricon and stuff
Old 8th January 2009, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NintendoHTF1242 View Post
The only things that affected the sales were that CD sales were already declining. The cover ain't gonna make someone not buy an album...if it does...then LOL at you.
LOL yeah that doesn't make sense to me too . You look like HEAVEN , both covers are bah but yet it still was able to crossed 300K overall

Quote:
Anyway, she decided to compete with other famous singers who have stronger sales, so basically Ayu's traditional New Years album ruined her album streak.

and that two week crap with Oricon and stuff
yeah unfortunately that time when GUILTY was put out , it didn't worked in ayumi's favor unlike when I am ... & (m)u were released during the 2 week no show period

Dedicated BRZ fan since 2008 debut single ♪ | team brz member ♥ | BREAKERZ BIRTHDAY PARTY 2024 ♥

Old 8th January 2009, 10:41 AM
walking proud Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenPang View Post
ARASHI's sales weren't so fantastic when they 1st debuted in '99 . It was only until last year that they really hit the big time as before Happiness , it was quite difficult for them to sell that well , let alone for singles .

& of course 2008 was such a great year for the guys , with all 4 singles crossing the 300K mark with ease in which truth / Kaze no Mukou e & One Love rounded up to be Japan's 1st & 2nd best selling single overall

Step and Go was the 1st single onwards to sell more than 300K onwards in the 1st week & this year will be their 10th anniversary
Right, that's pretty much exactly what I meant. Their debut was in 1999, yet they are much more popular now than they were then and that is rare for a Johnny's group.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NintendoHTF1242 View Post
I think the cover can make a difference. Fans are going to buy regardless of the cover, but casual fans can be swayed to buy with a good cover and turned off from buying with a bad one.

Last edited by SunshineSlayer; 8th January 2009 at 10:44 AM.
Old 8th January 2009, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Right, that's pretty much exactly what I meant. Their debut was in 1999, yet they are much more popular now than they were then and that is rare for a Johnny's group.

I think their luck changed after they made the switch from Pony Canon to JStorm in 2002 but even back then , they weren't so big til the members started to act in dramas/movies & hosting their own variety shows which slowly but surely built up their popularity .

They just hit the jackpot last year which's great

Quote:

I think the cover can make a difference. Fans are going to buy regardless of the cover, but casual fans can be swayed to buy with a good cover and turned off from buying with a bad one.
yeah it's a bit unfortunate in the way that casual fans think .

For me I always place emphasis on the music quality of the singles/albums/dvds , pics & etc are secondary but of course if they're great , it's a bonus

Old 8th January 2009, 11:07 AM
glitter Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenPang View Post
nah I don't think news of her hearing problems contribute to that , it doesn't make sense to me
lol who knoes
japanese are very weird xDD but i think u r right anyway

why are u answering everyones comments? LOL xDD
Old 8th January 2009, 01:46 PM
ayu-ro mix 2 Initiate

The overall Asian sales were stellar though.

And its a kickass album, my first (along with m(U) )great mix of rock and strings.
Old 8th January 2009, 05:57 PM
WE WISH Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by SURREAL__RAINBOW View Post
many reasons!

-bcose ayu aint as popular as bfore (secret didn't sell that much anyway too, lucky that it got 1st place)
-bcose the album didnt look that promising (the covers were boring for an album, just like any random fashion magazine)
-it didn't have enough songs I think
-maybe the name of the album scared people (who knows lol)
-other singers released in the same date
-the news of her hearing problems
-etc etc etc
Kinda like what KarenPang said, the hearing problems wouldn't make sales decline. It might have boosted her sales if anything. As unfortunate as they may be, these kind of incidents are actually big media exposure, which is why some artists have sold more albums post mortem. I can't remember but I think some people on this forum questioned if her hearing problem was real and if its just a big media stunt?

I can agree on the other reasons though. I was pretty unimpressed with the album covers, too many interludes, too many songs that were already singles, and her declining popularity.
Old 8th January 2009, 08:40 PM
WHATEVER Initiate

.. because glitter/fated and talkin' 2 myself was a FLOP
Old 8th January 2009, 09:17 PM
ayu-ro mix 2 Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by lfebaggins View Post
As unfortunate as they may be, these kind of incidents are actually big media exposure, which is why some artists have sold more albums post mortem. I can't remember but I think some people on this forum questioned if her hearing problem was real and if its just a big media stunt?
Watch the light and shadow documentary that shows clips from 2001 and then think its just a media stunt. It proves that the reason her voice has worsened is because its difficult for her to find her pitch, because she is singing A Song for XX (in 2001) during rehersal, and her ear is bothering her, making her go off pitch and her voice sounds EXACTLY like it does now.
Old 8th January 2009, 09:34 PM
Far away Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evolution7/4 View Post
Watch the light and shadow documentary that shows clips from 2001 and then think its just a media stunt. It proves that the reason her voice has worsened is because its difficult for her to find her pitch, because she is singing A Song for XX (in 2001) during rehersal, and her ear is bothering her, making her go off pitch and her voice sounds EXACTLY like it does now.
Light & shadow documentary? I'm interested. Where can I find this?

EDIT: Nvm it's also known as the 2004 interview. Thanks anyway.

Last edited by jimex289; 8th January 2009 at 09:38 PM.
Old 8th January 2009, 09:42 PM
WE WISH Initiate

Quote:
Did I ever say I was one of the ones that thought it was? Roll your eyes elsewhere
Old 8th January 2009, 09:44 PM
ayu-ro mix 2 Initiate

^Ahh someones mad haha kidding but honestly Sorry for the misunderstanding. haha It really wasn't directed towards you individuality though, but it just wasn't clear if you thought it was or not. Either way it still is something that deserves eye rolling whoever its coming from.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimex289 View Post
Light & shadow documentary? I'm interested. Where can I find this?

EDIT: Nvm it's also known as the 2004 interview. Thanks anyway.
Yup, that's the one.

Last edited by Evolution7/4; 8th January 2009 at 09:49 PM.
Old 8th January 2009, 09:47 PM
WE WISH Initiate

Ah i see. Sorry, it sounded like it was directed at me but I understand what you're trying to say. I won't kill you.... yet.... j/k
Old 8th January 2009, 09:48 PM
Far away Initiate

It's just an iffy topic I guess...sad really =(... Speaking in general and not directing this at anyone in specific, whoever says it is a media stunt and goes with w/e other people say without bothering to look into it are idiotic. It's a good thing fans like us know the real truth.
Old 8th January 2009, 09:50 PM
walking proud Initiate

Quote:
Right, but casual fans don't know that stuff. I heard comments from many Japanese friends and online that were questioning whether her hearing loss was real or not. Many said they thought it was just an excuse.
Old 8th January 2009, 09:52 PM
ayu-ro mix 2 Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by lfebaggins View Post
I won't kill you.... yet.... j/k
Haha I'll keep my eyes peeled.
Quote:
Right, but casual fans don't know that stuff. I heard comments from many Japanese friends and online that were questioning whether her hearing loss was real or not. Many said they thought it was just an excuse.
It truly is sad, i mean very sad. Quite a coincedance that earlier today someone bumped an old TA message she posted, around the last day of the japan leg of the Asia tour 2008 when she talks about CDL 07-08. Its a very touching lenghthy message about her good friend who passed, and how even though it troubles her greatly to sing with her ear problem she still goes on. that message and the 2001 footage not just prove this is no stunt, but shows just how much it troubles Ayu. it really makes me sad for her. I mean, yes her voice has changed over the years, but when people say her deafness is fake or doesn't effect her voice, its just heartbreaking.

Last edited by Evolution7/4; 8th January 2009 at 10:03 PM.
Old 9th January 2009, 03:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimex289 View Post
It's just an iffy topic I guess...sad really =(... Speaking in general and not directing this at anyone in specific, whoever says it is a media stunt and goes with w/e other people say without bothering to look into it are idiotic. It's a good thing fans like us know the real truth.
Quote:

even a normal person wouldn't lie about such a matter . I mean it's no joke losing your hearing at all . I know because I'm partially deaf (I take after my dad & his dad as his side of the family has a history of hearing problems ) & I can understand where ayumi's coming from .

& casual & anti fans of her to say that she lies , they just don't know the real facts/truth behind on what she said at all

Old 10th January 2009, 07:16 AM
glitter Initiate

Well.. I think GUILTY was a good album but the style seemed a bit too similar to MY STORY. It seemed mostly rock/ballads which only attracts a certain percentage of her fans. Casual fans wouldn't bother buying it.. especially since this album was quite dark compared to Secret or Rainbow. I still get a bit sad after listening to GUILTY because I remember her break up, her hearing loss and the death of her friend.

Also avex put her against some strong competition. Kobukuro are quite popular. But as SunshineSlayer, it was pretty disappointing that GUILTY didn't beat their album when it wasn't in the 1st week...

Even if you cannot hear my voice. I'll be right beside you dear.

Set by pepper

Crossover x A Hitomi Shimatani Forum

Old 10th January 2009, 09:38 AM
ever free Initiate

I think the album was just a turn off in total :S It turned me off for A LONG time lol and I still didnt buy the album ><! and I never will!

The singles on the album didn't do too well (especially T2M which was like one of her lowest chartings singles in awhile o_o!) and not to mention there weren't that many singles

And she compete with kubokuro!

oh well its ok tho I love her new single <3 ~! And I'm expecting her new album to be good ~! This whole horrible incident can be behind us now lol!

"Isn't it ironic that more people are interested in the maid rather than the queen of J-pop? Someone's losing their touch in the industry"

Tags
guilty