[Katy Perry] The 4th Thread - 'PRISM' Era - Page 5 - Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
· Ayu's Official Site · Ayu's twitter · Ayu's YouTube · masa's translations · Misa-chan's translations ·

Go Back   Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai > Music Forums > General Music Chat

Notices

Old 27th May 2017, 01:56 AM
Daybreak Guardian

The performance of Bon Appétit was very cringy. I quite like the song, though. It's not great but it's very catchy.
Old 2nd June 2017, 02:27 AM
Because of You Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepRiver View Post
Her rapping moves are so ... mhmmm ... "white" she "dances" like my grandma ...

Swish Swish is a grower but still not a hit for me ...
lol You can just say... she can't rap. I think she can sing well but rapping is not for her.

I am looking forward this album! Only less than 2 weeks!

Put my mouth on the lyrics like CPR

Old 6th June 2017, 06:34 AM
Secret Initiate

How did she go from PRISM to this crap. How the mighty have fallen. Not even excited for Witness.
Old 6th June 2017, 06:38 PM
still alone Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by NintendoHTF1242 View Post
How did she go from PRISM to this crap. How the mighty have fallen. Not even excited for Witness.
MTE. PRISM was her best in my eyes, and the stuff she's putting out now is her worst...
Old 6th June 2017, 10:13 PM
appears Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by jean-baptiste View Post
MTE. PRISM was her best in my eyes, and the stuff she's putting out now is her worst...
I think a lot of people are juding this whole album by a few select tracks. The truth is Katy has a more mature sound this time around. But I around so I agree that this idea of purposeful pop is falling flat. I wish she wouldn't have set it up like that. And lets also be fair and say that this album is not as personal as its been painted. But I'm extremely excited for this album. It's fresh and it's super polished, and it's nice to see a record that's been pushed close to perfection, even if we don't all like what she's doing at the moment.

I want to hear Pendulum. And beyond that, I think she will definitely have better songs on the album than what we've gotten in the singles. Her albums usually hide a lot of gems. but this is a more mature record. And I'm sure we will all have the same adjustment to TS when her next album comes out, since she's going for a mature reinvention as well.

-> <-
Old 6th June 2017, 11:55 PM
starting over Initiate

Katy's whole attitude has been off too. Swish swish is apparently a retaliation to Taylor swift's bad blood. I mean come on I thought katy was more mature than that.
Old 7th June 2017, 12:48 AM
appears Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by melissalove View Post
Katy's whole attitude has been off too. Swish swish is apparently a retaliation to Taylor swift's bad blood. I mean come on I thought katy was more mature than that.
I don't think that's a fair judgment. Taylor genuinely handled that in the most immature, TS-typical way. There's no reason she had to fire those dancers. And she certainly didn't have to write a song about it. I think Katy's response isn't anything more than her making it clear she won't lay down and let Taylor make money off bad-mouthing her the same way she's bad-mouthed her former boyfriends and other people she didn't get along with.

I mean let's be honest about this. Taylor is the girl who went on Ellen and won our hearts by saying Joe Jonas dumped her via text and has since built her career on dating people and then writing songs about them when things don't work out. I think it's reasonable for Katy to fire back as publicly as Taylor did. I mean, out of the two of them, Taylor truly is known as the Regina George of pop music. Katy just sticks her foot in her mouth a lot.

-> <-
Old 8th June 2017, 02:05 AM
still alone Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by orbitalaspect View Post
I think a lot of people are juding this whole album by a few select tracks. The truth is Katy has a more mature sound this time around. But I around so I agree that this idea of purposeful pop is falling flat. I wish she wouldn't have set it up like that. And lets also be fair and say that this album is not as personal as its been painted. But I'm extremely excited for this album. It's fresh and it's super polished, and it's nice to see a record that's been pushed close to perfection, even if we don't all like what she's doing at the moment.

I want to hear Pendulum. And beyond that, I think she will definitely have better songs on the album than what we've gotten in the singles. Her albums usually hide a lot of gems. but this is a more mature record. And I'm sure we will all have the same adjustment to TS when her next album comes out, since she's going for a mature reinvention as well.
I definitely think it was a good move for Katy to move towards a mature sound. I Kissed A Girl, Teenage Dream, Roar - the sound of these types of songs is no longer en vogue so it was inevitable that she would make a comeback with a dramatic change in her music style.

I'm not allowing my distaste for these new songs to paint me a picture of the unreleased album just yet though. Chained to the Rhythm was decent. But Bon Apetit is catchy yet uninspired and Swish Swish is one of the worst songs I've ever heard (in my opinion, of course).

It's really hard for me to actually dislike a song as opposed to finding it simply boring or forgettable. But nonetheless, I'm absolutely going to give the full album an honest chance. Cause even though I enjoyed PRISM, the three singles that were super popular (Roar, Dark Horse and This Is How We Do) were my least favorite songs off the entire album. So I'm definitely curious to see what else she delivers!

Last edited by jean-baptiste; 8th June 2017 at 02:18 AM.
Old 8th June 2017, 07:22 AM
starting over Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by orbitalaspect View Post
I don't think that's a fair judgment. Taylor genuinely handled that in the most immature, TS-typical way. There's no reason she had to fire those dancers. And she certainly didn't have to write a song about it. I think Katy's response isn't anything more than her making it clear she won't lay down and let Taylor make money off bad-mouthing her the same way she's bad-mouthed her former boyfriends and other people she didn't get along with.

I mean let's be honest about this. Taylor is the girl who went on Ellen and won our hearts by saying Joe Jonas dumped her via text and has since built her career on dating people and then writing songs about them when things don't work out. I think it's reasonable for Katy to fire back as publicly as Taylor did. I mean, out of the two of them, Taylor truly is known as the Regina George of pop music. Katy just sticks her foot in her mouth a lot.
I agree with you, Taylor's spoiled, immature and fake. Which is precisely the reason why Katy shoudve stayed above it. The minute the song hit, Katy clapped back, called her Regina and that should've been that. Why rehatch this incident after two years, and in such a way as to brag about her own personal success. I mean how consideed and self absorbed those that make her look. It's sad to see her like this, Hollywood finally getting to her. :/
Old 8th June 2017, 08:10 AM
still alone Initiate

This is what hollywood celebrities are. It's not very surprising. The feud between them probably is fake and done for media attention and for fans to eat up. I don't know why so many people are still putting up with hollywood.
Old 8th June 2017, 03:48 PM
BRILLANTE Initiate

listened to the whole album. Witness is the masterpiece and defo can see why she chose CTTR as the lead single. the rest of the album sounds cohesive but forgettable and like a fillers. So far apart from the single I only like Witness, Roulette, and Power. Autotune in Mind Maze kinda annoying even though it's a brilliant track. The bridge is amazing for Roulette

Last edited by TITANIC; 8th June 2017 at 03:51 PM.
Old 8th June 2017, 04:46 PM
appears Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by jean-baptiste View Post
I definitely think it was a good move for Katy to move towards a mature sound. I Kissed A Girl, Teenage Dream, Roar - the sound of these types of songs is no longer en vogue so it was inevitable that she would make a comeback with a dramatic change in her music style.

I'm not allowing my distaste for these new songs to paint me a picture of the unreleased album just yet though. Chained to the Rhythm was decent. But Bon Apetit is catchy yet uninspired and Swish Swish is one of the worst songs I've ever heard (in my opinion, of course).

It's really hard for me to actually dislike a song as opposed to finding it simply boring or forgettable. But nonetheless, I'm absolutely going to give the full album an honest chance. Cause even though I enjoyed PRISM, the three singles that were super popular (Roar, Dark Horse and This Is How We Do) were my least favorite songs off the entire album. So I'm definitely curious to see what else she delivers!
I also think it's important to point out that Katy hasn't released a new record since 2013. So with almost four years between these two records, that's not too far off from the length of time Enya takes to release a new record. With that kind of time span, Katy certainly wasn't going to come back with the same sound. Just like I think it's insane for people to think Miley would do another Bangerz. (Though, I have to be honest, I am not liking this folksy Miley. During Bangerz era, her attitude and style helped me care less about what other people thought of me. For all the shit she got, she actually was a role model for people like me. And she was fucking beautiful in everything she did.)

For me, PRISM will be hard to top. I feel PRISM was when Katy truly established that she's the new Britney/Christina/NSYNC/BSB. And on point for Taylor, her and Katy are the new Britney vs. Christina. That alone makes me happy because actual pop music has lost so much ground to the rap industry, and none of these rappers are anywhere near the talent of Kim/Foxy/BIG/Pac/Jay/Missy/Brat/Latifah. But Katy and Taylor are truly an evolution of the teen pop artist experience we had 20 years ago.

I think Witness will be a step down from PRISM. But I also think Witness will be like any Ayu album prior to Love songs/LOVE again/etc. We can't honestly compare GUILTY and NEXT LEVEL because they stand so well on their own for completely different reasons. I think Witness will really be the album makes or breaks Katy as a transformative artist. Can she make an album that people love and respect for different reasons than her last album? And still top the charts? I don't know.

I'm slap-silly impressed with Katy this time around. I've had to let CTTR/BA/SS grow on me, but I've ended up loving them as much as I did Roar and Dark Horse. That said, I think Witness will grow on us. We won't be in love with it on release day (like we were with PRISM/Teenage Dream), but in six months, we will all have a more positive vibe with the album.

In some sick way, I'd love Taylor to release a new album at the end of this year just to keep the competition alive. But I'd also rather Taylor come back with an album that isn't so immature. She's always leagues behind Katy IMO on maturity and honesty. It's like Taylor wants to curate her image for her fans, while Katy will just say stupid shit on IG and be like, "Hey, at least you know I'm human."

Still, I think no matter what happens, I'm proud of Katy for this album. I wish she would have let the fans speak for the concept, but she's already hyped it up to be one thing and we all know it's not going to be that. So, again, I think Witness will grow on all of us. We just need to hear it for what it is rather than what we've been told it should or could be.

-> <-
Old 9th June 2017, 12:13 AM
starting over Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndOfTheWorld View Post
This is what hollywood celebrities are. It's not very surprising. The feud between them probably is fake and done for media attention and for fans to eat up. I don't know why so many people are still putting up with hollywood.
Omg that's what my friends say ALL THE TIME.
Old 9th June 2017, 07:57 AM
appears Initiate

01. Witness - 7/10

I like the lyrics, but I feel that the song should have had a more danceable beat. It feels too understated to be the title track.

02. Hey Hey Hey - 8/10

A pretty catchy and sassy track. I like the playfulness of this. And I feel like it's a good album-only track.

03. Roulette - 6/10

So, this track is pretty forgettable. I'm not at all excited by this. The theme and lyrics are still continuing the trend of being extremely well written, but it's just very much a filler.

04. Swish Swish - 9/10

Within the context of this album, this track fits so much better. It actually makes me appreciate this song more than I did prior to hearing the first three tracks. I feel like this gave me a great example of what to expect on the album without giving it all away.

05. Deja Vu - 8/10

This is a cruising song. I get the vibe of driving around the city late at night. I like the theme. It's still a good album-only track. I haven't yet heard anything other than Swish Swish as single potential. I'm also very glad this song is not dragged out beyond the 3:18.

06. Power - 7/10

The style is nice, but the actual track just isn't that catchy or memorable for me. I almost feel like this is sending the "mid-album" signal. Continuing this strong self-image theme.

07. Mind Maze - 3/10

Jesus Christ. Autotune: The Musical. It's like a feature commercial for the new version of Autotune. :\ This is cutting room floor material. Like they had the idea for the beat but never actually got beyond just doing something with it to start generating an idea for the full song.

08. Miss You More - 10/10

This is single potential. Probably one of the most poignant and perfectly written songs. Amazing production mixed with extremely good vocals. My only potential alteration would be adding a full choir to the final chorus.

09. Chained To The Rhythm - 10/10

Like Swish Swish, this song sounds so much better in context with the album. It is, however, thematically disconnected from everything that's been on the album up to this point. This is a very observation-style song, while the rest have all been extremely self-focused and self-image-based. One major problem for me was the transition from Miss You More to this track is too jarring. Miss You More is this very solemn ballad, and this is a very reggae-inspired upbeat track about being a mindless consumer. I think there should have been a track between these two. (I would have moved Roulette here, since it seems to drag the album too much at the beginning, but would actually come off a bit fresher after hearing Miss You More.)

10. Tsunami - 4/10

Like Roulette and Mind Maze, this is a song I would have pulled from the final album. I would have kept Roulette as a step-stone track between Miss You More and Chained To The Rhythm, but this is so vaporwave and just breaks so much of the flow of the album. I can't say it's a jarring break, but it's enough of a disappointing track that I would have pulled it from the final tracklist. My low score is really owed to being sick of this being the third song like this.

11. Bon Appetit - 9/10

Nothing really to say about this that hasn't already been said. Bon Appetit, baby! I like that this is a break from the very empowerment-centered songs. In some small way, I wish this and CTTR were not toward the end of the album. They would be a nice break from the tracks earlier in the record. For the first time in a long time, I think Migos are actually essential to this track. I think Katy's features are appropriate. If you do a feature, the song shouldn't sound better without the guest artist. And I feel both Bon Appetit and Swish Swish would lose a lot of interest if Migos and Nicki Minaj were taken off the tracks.

12. Bigger Than Me - 7/10

This track starts off deceptively energetic. So, the dip in score is because it really lets that down. I do like the theme of constantly pushing for self-improvement. This is the first song I've felt is too long. If there was going to be no third bridge, I would have just cut the last chorus and ended the song at 3 minutes.

13. Save As Draft - 9/10

This doesn't have the same punch as Miss You More, but it's a decently written track about moving forward from love. The best part about these two ballads is that they are not average love songs. I love that she thought about these and didn't just write the same old "i miss you" songs. She did with the chorus on this song what I wanted her to do with Miss You More. There's more power there to finish this off with a bang. I love it.

14. Pendulum - 0/10

I'm not even rating this piece of shit. The clip that's been shared online makes this track sound like a Sia-style banger like Chandelier/The Greatest/Unstoppable. And THIS is what she turned it into...?! What a complete fucking disappointment.

15. Into Me You See - 2/10

Again, this track has been generally hyped to be more impressive than it actually turned out to be. I can't stop busting out in laughter when she sings "You broke me wide open... Open Sesame". Who has EVER used "open sesame" in some heartfelt, serious way? What a poor choice for lyric.

OVERALL - 6.6/10
HIGHLIGHTS - Hey Hey Hey, Swish Swish, Miss You More, Chained To The Rhythm, Bon Appetit, Save As Draft
DELETE NOW - Mind Maze, Tsunami, Pendulum, Into Me You See

I'm surprised I rated this album so low, but the score speaks for itself. My favorite song, and the most memorable one, is Miss You More. The last two songs absolutely did not need to be on this album. They are both a sheer letdown in terms of Katy Perry's entire career. Pendulum itself is the biggest disappointment, so much so that I can't even rate it. If I could take additional points, I would. The clip revealed to all of us did not - in any way - allude to the song turning out the way it did. I anticipated something very Sia, and we got something I'd barely consider for a b-side.

I still think this album will grow on me over time. However, I can't forgive Pendulum and Into Me You See. Those were both set up to be something more than they clearly turned out to be.

-> <-
Old 9th June 2017, 08:04 AM
Because of You Initiate

Witness is an album to put me into sleep

I expected too much.

Put my mouth on the lyrics like CPR

Old 10th June 2017, 12:24 AM
ayu-mi-x Initiate

Didn't like any of it.

Old 10th June 2017, 12:40 AM
BEST Initiate

I leave this here with no words...
(Just because I'm not good in writing reviews)

This is my personal first listen rating...

★★★☆☆ 01. Witness
★★★★☆ 02. Hey Hey Hey
★★★★☆ 03. Roulette
★★★★★ 04. Swish Swish feat. Nicki Minaj (I love her broken voice in some parts)
★★★☆☆ 05. Déjà Vu
★★☆☆☆ 06. Power
★★☆☆☆ 07. Mind Maze
★★★★★ 08. Miss You More
★★★☆☆ 09. Chained To The Rhythm feat. Skip Marley
★★★★☆ 10. Tsunami
★★★★☆ 11. Bon Appétit feat. Migos
★★★★☆ 12. Bigger Than Me
★★★☆☆ 13. Save As Draft
★★★☆☆ 14. Pendulum
★★★☆☆ 15. Into Me You See

ALL OVER: ★★★☆☆ (More a 3.5 Star rating)
I like the more "dark" and mature feeling of this album!

concerts i've attended:
「ayumi hamasaki ARENA TOUR 2018 ~POWER of MUSIC 20th Anniversary~」2018.04.07
「ayumi hamasaki ARENA TOUR 2018 ~POWER of MUSIC 20th Anniversary~」2018.04.08
Old 10th June 2017, 04:26 PM
And Then Initiate

Yo, what's up? I love Mind Maze and Tsunami. It makes me sad that everyone seems to hate them! (not just here, everywhere) ;w; They're my favorite songs on the tracklist. I love what Purity Ring did with Mind Maze and I actually really love the autotune it reminds me of the vocal modulations on one of my other fave KP songs (Circle the Drain). And Tsunami is chill af. orbitalaspect mentioned it sounding vaporwave? That's probably why I like it - you should see my Tumblr. : P Anyways, I like the whole album.

<º)))>< <º)))>< <º)))><

Old 10th June 2017, 07:06 PM
appears Initiate

Since we were all just on the train of how immature Katy was to shoot back at Taylor, how are we all feeling about Taylor deciding to be her typical two-faced self and release her entire back catalog onto streaming services after just saying two years ago that she would never do that because it's "giving away music for free" AND DOING IT ON THE DAY Katy releases Witness?

I respect Taylor for being a talented songwriter and musician, but I think she's clearly living up to Regina George in sheep's clothing. If she's so above all of this, as she kept saying over the Kanye drama, her actions sure tell a completely different story.

Edit: On a different note: Having listened to Witness more than once, the one thing I notice is that the album is noticeably lacking in radio-friendly material. There's just nothing on this record (apart from one or two of the singles) that sounds like it will have an audience on radio. I wonder if that will be what buries this record in the long run.

-> <-

Last edited by orbitalaspect; 10th June 2017 at 07:10 PM.
Old 15th June 2017, 02:01 AM
Secret Initiate

Album sucks. Everything sounds like filler. Only songs I enjoyed were Swish Swish (my ultimate guilty pleasure lol), Miss You More, and... well that's about it really.

Tags
katy perry, pop, prism, prismatic, this is how we do