Kalen Anzai cast as Ayu in the drama adaptation of "M 愛すべき人がいて" - Page 9 - Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
· Ayu's Official Site · Ayu's twitter · Ayu's YouTube · masa's translations · Misa-chan's translations ·

Go Back   Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai > Ayumi Hamasaki Forums > Ayu Celebrity News

Notices

Old 19th April 2020, 11:01 AM
ayu-ro mix 2 Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizuki-7 View Post
Ayu is keeping silent about it. she never mentioned even once the book or this drama adaptation while she was greatly implicated. Don't get me wrong its the best decision but its quite funny because Max is all over the place with this.

Moving from onother topic I saw that they will relase a cover album featuring songs from the 90´s linked to the drama. Fun fact there is not a single song of Ayu now I begin to think that Ayu don't allow cover songs.
She did mention it once when she reposted on her insta story a picture of the preface of the book which was written by her. But yeah that was the only time she did.

I lowkey understand why. Would you like to take the risk to have someone else perform one of your songs and it becomes so popular that the song is no longer associated to you but someone else? Think about how Dolly Parton was robbed by Whitney Houston lol

arena tour 2016 ~M(A)DE IN JAPAN~ @ Yoyogi : 08/07 & 09/07
arena tour 2018 ~POWER of MUSIC 20th anniversary~ @ Osaka-jô hall : 21/07 & 22/07
COUNTDOWN LIVE 2023-2024 A ~A COMPLETE 25~ @ Yoyogi : 30/12 & 31/12

浜崎あゆみ ~since 2009~
tumblr ; last.fm

Old 19th April 2020, 12:05 PM
July 1st Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by attractive nausea View Post
She did mention it once when she reposted on her insta story a picture of the preface of the book which was written by her. But yeah that was the only time she did.
I thought she totally did not acknowledge the book's existence! so surprised to see that she wrote the preface?

I'm confused. does she approve of the book's contents? is the novel "based on a true story" or is it downright fiction?
Old 19th April 2020, 12:40 PM
ANGEL'S SONG H-Initiate

She and Max were interviewed to produce the book's contents. I think the bit she wrote was in YayOu's translation as well.

Quote:
A fiction based on real facts. Now that you've read it, which part is real and which part is fantasy? Of course, I do not intend to answer it, and I think the truth is known only to the people concerned. However, if someone asked me, " Have you experienced a great love that only happens once in a lifetime?" I will answer this without any hesitation:

" Yes. I loved a man so much that it destroyed me. "

Ayumi Hamasaki
It seems she's basically letting Max worry about the promotion for now while Ayu does whatever else.
Old 19th April 2020, 12:47 PM
SEASONS Initiate

I just watched the episode. And it’s so bad it’s good. I mean, the acting is ridiculously bad but I’m enjoying it nevertheless. Who has the idea of letting Kalen play Ayu’s role? She’s not good at acting, neither singing imo. Of course it could be the lack of experience but still, I’d have chosen a proper actress. She’s not reminiscent of Ayu in anyway. And I’m just being objective.

I managed to download it from here https://nyaa.iss.one/view/1239608
Old 19th April 2020, 01:57 PM
As if.. Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toniayu123 View Post
I just watched the episode. And it’s so bad it’s good. I mean, the acting is ridiculously bad but I’m enjoying it nevertheless. Who has the idea of letting Kalen play Ayu’s role? She’s not good at acting, neither singing imo. Of course it could be the lack of experience but still, I’d have chosen a proper actress. She’s not reminiscent of Ayu in anyway. And I’m just being objective.
Most Jdramas I watch have pretty awful young actresses. Young pretty idols with no talent cast as leads in dramas.
Old 19th April 2020, 01:59 PM
opening Run Initiate

Quote:
She’s not reminiscent of Ayu in anyway
The girl on the poster indeed doesn't look like her at all.
Old 19th April 2020, 08:16 PM
ayu trance Initiate

I watched the 1st episode ! I need to say before that the only drama I watched in the past was Hana Yori DAngo nearly 10 years ago .... but I’ve the same feeling it’s easy to watch but the acting is not good but I assume it’s how drama works in Japan ? the acting is overplayed and the way actors express themselves is too caricatured almost like an anime... XD

I’m more worried by the scenario it’s seems like they modified a lot of things so I’m afraid people take this as the true story of Ayu and I am sure a lot of people will.

I’m surprise by Kalen I can see she is a beginner but I changed my mind about her in a good way. Actually she really look like Keiko from globe instead of Ayu.

My Website Twitter Last.Fm

Last edited by mizuki-7; 19th April 2020 at 08:22 PM.
Old 19th April 2020, 08:33 PM
Because of You Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainBOWWW View Post
I'M SCREAMINGGGGGGGGG. The actor who potrays Max is more adorable and kind of charming.
Lets be real here, that actor is a model compared to Max. I guess Max's power lever in the industry is what got him the girls, not his face. When they both kind of got "confirmed" on the relationship i literally couldn't wrap my mind around Ayu going after him, but i mean she was young, so it's somewhat understandable. She'd got a much better taste now

Also i'm not sure why people were expecting high quality seriousness out of this thing. It's based on a novel, not an autobiography. Just the mere fact that they added a chick with an eye patch should be a good indicator on what kind of entertainment this is going to be LOL

Last edited by BlackSilence; 19th April 2020 at 08:37 PM.
Old 19th April 2020, 09:19 PM
SEASONS Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by artcika View Post
Just the mere fact that they added a chick with an eye patch should be a good indicator on what kind of entertainment this is going to be LOL
Best character of the drama so far tho

And yeah, Japanese drama’s acting tend to be a bit over the top, although there are some pretty good ones. As well as actual professionals. But this one, is mind blowing lol

Last edited by Toniayu123; 19th April 2020 at 09:27 PM.
Old 20th April 2020, 03:32 AM
opening Run Initiate

Quote:
And yeah, Japanese drama’s acting tend to be a bit over the top, although there are some pretty good ones.
I think the same can be said about Japanese movies.
Old 20th April 2020, 03:44 AM
ANGEL'S SONG Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by attractive nausea View Post

I lowkey understand why. Would you like to take the risk to have someone else perform one of your songs and it becomes so popular that the song is no longer associated to you but someone else? Think about how Dolly Parton was robbed by Whitney Houston lol
It would be pretty self-worshipping for Ayu to tweet something like "A drama is coming out based in my life!"

My first J-pop cover album is out on Spotify! Please check it out!
Old 20th April 2020, 05:00 AM
walking proud Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamalley View Post
Most Jdramas I watch have pretty awful young actresses. Young pretty idols with no talent cast as leads in dramas.
This is baaaad though. I've seen a lot of Jdramas and this is pretty low level. Only way it seems it can be enjoyed is in a so bad it's good kind of way. I don't think that was the intent though, lol. I would imagine that that's more the reason that Ayu hasn't mentioned it; she knows how bad it is.

Last edited by SunshineSlayer; 20th April 2020 at 05:06 AM.
Old 20th April 2020, 05:55 AM
Beautiful Day Initiate

I'm surprised this drama isn't on JPopsuki (so far the new ones that I'm seeing is live-action Eizouken drama (with three Nogizaka 46 girls starring) that acts as a lead-in to the movie that will come out later this year, pending COVID)...
Old 20th April 2020, 06:45 AM
SURREAL H-Initiate

The woman with the eyepatch is absolutely ridiculous.

“Ayu wa, kimaseeeeen.” Had me rolling. And the stupid grape scene. Lmao.

"Remember, don't let others dictate your music taste. If you like whatever you're listening to, keep listening to it."

Old 20th April 2020, 07:39 PM
Because of You Initiate

Honestly? I've watched a crapton of j dramas back in the day when they were easy to find online, and unless you were watching something like Hana Kimi (which i love BTW) or other comedy stuff that's supposed to be over the top animated, it was always quite well done, the acting and everything else. Even the stuff GACKT was in (and he can be ridiculously over the top with his acting) wasn't bad. Cuz usually the characters fit the acting. I never really stumbled upon a drama that was so bad it was unwatchable because of the acting. I haven't watched anything in YEARS though, so i can't really say anything solid for the stuff they have now. But i wouldn't be surprised if the quality has dropped. Also considering it's not a TV channel that's producing this stuff, i think has a bit to do with the level of quality this got.

Last edited by BlackSilence; 20th April 2020 at 07:42 PM.
Old 20th April 2020, 08:18 PM
ayu trance Initiate

According to Oricon the 1st episode had a good start !
What matter is how people are reacting to Ayu and from what I see feedback are good and she was trending on apple music and so on...
If this drama can bring back good memories to people of this period and make Ayumi known to the youngest generation it’s worth (despite the quality) lol

My Website Twitter Last.Fm
Old 20th April 2020, 09:34 PM
appears Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by artcika View Post
Honestly? I've watched a crapton of j dramas back in the day when they were easy to find online, and unless you were watching something like Hana Kimi (which i love BTW) or other comedy stuff that's supposed to be over the top animated, it was always quite well done, the acting and everything else. Even the stuff GACKT was in (and he can be ridiculously over the top with his acting) wasn't bad. Cuz usually the characters fit the acting. I never really stumbled upon a drama that was so bad it was unwatchable because of the acting. I haven't watched anything in YEARS though, so i can't really say anything solid for the stuff they have now. But i wouldn't be surprised if the quality has dropped. Also considering it's not a TV channel that's producing this stuff, i think has a bit to do with the level of quality this got.
It is a TV channel though. It's by TV Asahi, which is Japan's highest-rated network right now (alongside NTV).

I think the reason Ayu hasn't mentioned it is because it's "unauthorized". But she's definitely coyly promoting it. The whole point of releasing a 50 minute "M" video (which she promoted in her social media) was to promote the drama, which is literally called "M", has the song as a central point and had its first episode on the next day. I mean...

Last edited by andre2907; 20th April 2020 at 09:48 PM.
Old 20th April 2020, 09:36 PM
appears Initiate

By the way, the drama is pure shit but that doesn't really matter. Some of the most talked about dramas in Japan in the last few years have been pretty bad and Japanese social media still loved it. The Hana Yori Dango sequel, for example, was really really bad and it had low ratings but it was a super successful vehicle for KING & PRINCE, broke records on social media and made Mio Imada one of the hottest it girls in the country.

That's the whole point of "M" too. And so far it's working. The Episode 1 post on Girls Channel is the biggest post for a drama launch ever there and most people are praising it (yes, as I said, Japanese social media users LOVE unwatchable dramas).

Last edited by andre2907; 20th April 2020 at 09:48 PM.
Old 20th April 2020, 10:28 PM
Two of us Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by tokyoxjapanxfan View Post
The woman with the eyepatch is absolutely ridiculous.

“Ayu wa, kimaseeeeen.” Had me rolling. And the stupid grape scene. Lmao.
I love her. She's going all out chewing up scenery like a termite eats a wood couch, and it's hilarious. It fits perfectly with a story line that made Ayu, rather than call Max on the phone when separated from him by Eyepatch Lady, stand outside of a romantic restaurant singing aloud to call him to her instead.

So far the drama has pleasantly surprised me. It's as over the top as we all knew it would be, but it's genuinely, honestly fun. It's leaning into its cheese.

Today, Yahoo! Japan has like four articles about it lined up in my feed, forget the barrage that have been released into the net overall, which makes me thrilled for Ayu.

I'm also very happy for Kalen, who did better than I thought she would. I mentioned earlier I was worried for her just falling into Ayu's shadow, and that's still a danger. But it doesn't change the fact that her Instagram, which was slowly ticking up followers with each new release, appears to have gained 10k new followers in just days. This IS a decent start for a decent career after all, and if she and Ayu do it together, that's awesome.
Old 21st April 2020, 12:00 AM
ANGEL'S SONG H-Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by andre2907 View Post
It is a TV channel though. It's by TV Asahi, which is Japan's highest-rated network right now (alongside NTV).

I think the reason Ayu hasn't mentioned it is because it's "unauthorized". But she's definitely coyly promoting it. The whole point of releasing a 50 minute "M" video (which she promoted in her social media) was to promote the drama, which is literally called "M", has the song as a central point and had its first episode on the next day. I mean...
I think it's cause it's TV Asahi x AbemaTV as a collaboration. The production value is more like a net-drama that also got a TV slot.

As far as Ayu promoting it, I don't think she is doing anything about it, it's all Max. Max has to manage all the stuff regarding promotion for it and things involved like the artists who were representing all the acts at the time as part of avex/a victory. I'm not sure if she really addressed the M performances on IG but on Twitter everything is handled by avex staff, so stuff gets promoted there but without Ayu's involvement.

Tags
kalen anzai, m 愛すべき人がいて