Songs without original versions - Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
· Ayu's Official Site · Ayu's twitter · Ayu's YouTube · masa's translations · Misa-chan's translations ·

Go Back   Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai > Ayumi Hamasaki Forums > Ayu Chat-Room

Notices

Old 13th July 2022, 02:36 PM
my name's WOMEN Initiate

Question Songs without original versions

I always found it fascinating that Duty had Key - eternal tie ver. What gives? Whatever happened to the original version?

Any other songs that only exist in some or other special version?

And what do you imagine their originals would sound like?
Old 13th July 2022, 02:39 PM
too late Initiate

I have the same doubt. Never read anything about Key and its "original" version. Does anyone have any information?

We also have "teens (acoustic version)", but I guess the original is the TRF one. Or Ayu did a version with upbeat arrangement of this song?

slow down, you won't get there by hurrying
gonna find out if the hard work was worth it
i know it's somewhere in me
i'm just tryna find love

Old 13th July 2022, 02:44 PM
my name's WOMEN Initiate

Not to forget that there's also songs of which the original version does not an appear on an album but only elsewhere: Endless sorrow - gone with the wind ver. made it onto I am... while its original version was relegated to the single. (I always felt a bit cheated because I MUCH prefer the original and felt like I was forced to buy the single because of it, haha.)

Also is a good one to demonstrate how different the versions can be. They are undeniably the same song, but damn, it's a night-and-day difference.

I guess the acoustic version of Teens may just because it's an acoustic cover.

How about Memorial Address - take 2 version? The name speaks for itself of course, haha, but how many takes were needed? What went wrong with the first one?

And what about WHATEVER? Also an interesting case.

Last edited by sxesven; 13th July 2022 at 02:54 PM.
Old 13th July 2022, 03:11 PM
too late Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by sxesven View Post
Not to forget that there's also songs of which the original version does not an appear on an album but only elsewhere: Endless sorrow - gone with the wind ver. made it onto I am... while its original version was relegated to the single. (I always felt a bit cheated because I MUCH prefer the original and felt like I was forced to buy the single because of it, haha.)

Also is a good one to demonstrate how different the versions can be. They are undeniably the same song, but damn, it's a night-and-day difference.
Yes, I always hated the version of I am... because Endless sorrow it's one of my favorite songs. Now, I find the arrangement of the album ok, but it kills the strenght of the original song anyway.

Quote:
How about Memorial Address - take 2 version? The name speaks for itself of course, haha, but how many takes were needed? What went wrong with the first one?
Memorial address was recorded like it was a studio live, with no interruptions. Normally, songs are recorded multiple times and the version we have is a collage of the best vocals from these sessions. Probably she coughed (lol) or forgot the lyrics (an Ayu classic) during the first take.

Quote:
And what about WHATEVER? Also an interesting case.
In this case, I was happy with that choice. It's an extended version of one of WHATEVER versions (I always forget which one), but it suits so well with the whole LOVEppears album vibe.

slow down, you won't get there by hurrying
gonna find out if the hard work was worth it
i know it's somewhere in me
i'm just tryna find love

Old 13th July 2022, 11:44 PM
my name's WOMEN Initiate

Yeah, same for me. I don't even dislike the version on the album and have gotten entirely used to it in the context of the album, but I'd rather seen the original version included and the gone with the wind version put on the single as an extra. Though at this point I wonder how putting the original on the album would even affect its flow. Maybe I'll try it out...

Yeah, Memorial Address has major girlish vibes (this was an early favourite for me) in that it has a live-in-studio sound. To what extent it actually is of course remains to be seen; the naming it 'take 2' may even be a clever ploy (we're onto you, Avex) to plant the idea that it is a live-in-studio recording. The plot thickens... Whatever happened to that conspiracies thread?

I agree btw that WHATEVER sits super well where it is. The whole flow of LOVEppears just works like a charm for me.
Old 16th July 2022, 01:41 PM
Because of You Initiate

+

this song has no stand alone version

Put my mouth on the lyrics like CPR

Old 16th July 2022, 02:49 PM
my name's WOMEN Initiate

Funnily enough on Spotify track 15 off RAINBOW is independent+ (the whole 9+-minute affair) but then it also has a track 16 which is just +, though it fades out at the end.

In this line of course the same is true for flower garden, and it bears mentioning that on Spotify it is not offered as a separate track in the same way + is.
Old 23rd July 2022, 01:56 AM
from your letter Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by summerain View Post
Yes, I always hated the version of I am... because Endless sorrow it's one of my favorite songs. Now, I find the arrangement of the album ok, but it kills the strenght of the original song anyway.

Memorial address was recorded like it was a studio live, with no interruptions. Normally, songs are recorded multiple times and the version we have is a collage of the best vocals from these sessions. Probably she coughed (lol) or forgot the lyrics (an Ayu classic) during the first take.

In this case, I was happy with that choice. It's an extended version of one of WHATEVER versions (I always forget which one), but it suits so well with the whole LOVEppears album vibe.

As for WHATEVER, you mean the original version would be the VERSION M? Felt sorry about that because I thought the VERSION J was the original as it's arrangement looks similar as the tracks from Ayu's debut album "A Song for XX".

Ayu-fan since 2018
Old 3rd August 2022, 10:14 PM
my name's WOMEN Initiate

Also, anyone know why they are versions M and J?
Old 12th August 2022, 11:36 AM
RAINBOW Guardian

This is from the liner notes for LOVEppears, translated by Delirium-Zer0. It doesn't explain why "M" and "J" were chosen as the version names specifically though.

Quote:
10: WHATEVER <Dub's 1999 Club Remix>
(Music: Kazuhito Kikuchi/Arrangement: Izumi "D.M.X" Miyazaki)

This is my first single of 1999. Track one on the single was a remix version called "version M," and the approach to this work was different than my work until now. At first, the original version, "version J", was planned to be track 1 and "version M" was planned to be track 2 on the single, but when I listened to the original and the remix, the original version lost the contest every time. The repeating of "ta" in "kogoesou de me wo tojiteta" felt very fresh to me at the time. Putting the remix as track 1 was something I was nervous about. Would everyone agree to it? But it turned out to be a more popular decision than I thought it would.
Old 12th August 2022, 12:45 PM
my name's WOMEN Initiate

Thanks!

We can speculate

Junior and Mature?
Jackson and Michael?
Old 20th August 2022, 05:14 PM
Love song H-Initiate

I heard a version that it's Michael Jackson
Old 23rd June 2023, 11:10 AM
SURREAL Initiate

Just discovered something interesting from WHATEVER wikipedia page:

Alternative music video
An accompanying music video for an alternative version for "Whatever" (labelled the "J Version")[3] was also directed by Takeishi.[33] The J version, composed and arranged by Keisuke Kikuchi, was intended to be the lead single from Loveppears and use the M version as the b-side.[3][6] When Kikuchi and Miyazaki submitted their J and M versions of "Whatever" to the head offices of Avex, Matsuura favored Miyazaki's version over Kikuchi.[6] Kikuchi was disappointed of the verdict, but Avex went ahead in releasing the M version.[6] Because Takeishi had already shot and produced the music video for the J version of "Whatever", Takeishi had to re-shoot a new video for the M version.[6] The J Version was used in Valentine's Day commercials for 7-Eleven.[35]

The J version features Hamasaki singing the J version on a white platform in front of a silky red backdrop.[33] The entire full-length video has never been released, but a thirty-second snippet was used as the commercial video for "Whatever".[33] The J version has been included on her self-titled video compilation (2000),[31] Complete Clip Box (2004),[32] and its most recent appearance is on the A Clip Box 1998–2011 (2011).[33]
Old 23rd June 2023, 04:09 PM
Because of You Initiate

Memorial address also has no stand alone version. First take probably because she cough and destroy the version so it needs to have take 2 version. Also the original version is a song for a smaller band.

Put my mouth on the lyrics like CPR

Old 24th June 2023, 10:19 AM
ANGEL'S SONG Initiate

What about Fly high and kanariya?
I mean the "original mix" are supposted to be the LOVEppears ones but why they shoot the PVs for the remixes of each song instead of the original mixes?

Even though I like more the remixes than the original version they left the original mixes with no PVs which is pretty sad

My first J-pop cover album is out on Spotify! Please check it out!