[Charts & Rankings] Official Sales & Positions Thread III ~NEXT LEVEL~ - Page 9 - Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
· Ayu's Official Site · Ayu's twitter · Ayu's YouTube · masa's translations · Misa-chan's translations ·

Go Back   Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai > Ayumi Hamasaki Forums > Ayu Music News

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 10th April 2009, 06:08 PM
WE WISH Initiate

Another My STORY album, will be great! In that album it was like ayu made up a whole new genre... I wonder why her sales keep on decreasing. She has the promoion and everything. MAybe it's because she keeps on releasing new things in such a close time, there isn't as much as a demand for her...
Old 10th April 2009, 06:15 PM
too late Initiate

Location: Mirrorcle town searching for my last angel (Mexico)
Utada's english debut album sold approximately 500,000 units on it's first week in Japan.

This is the One debuted with 77,000.

Next level is selling at least double, so that probably means NL is much better than this is the one, according to Corikaru standards

Anyway, i'm happy with the album. I really like Next Level . i cannot say the same thing with This is the one.

Quote:
MAybe it's because she keeps on releasing new things in such a close time, there isn't as much as a demand for her...
I think the same way. The release of NL kind of affected Rule/Sparkle sales, in my opinion. :s. That was a shame because the Ep was so amazing Same thing happened with Bold & Delicious/Pride

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yumsushi View Post
Maybe he has occasional feelings.

Ayu stans are Fugging scary.

Last edited by Lady_Eowyn; 10th April 2009 at 06:24 PM.
Old 10th April 2009, 06:20 PM
count down Initiate

#5 today... I honestly wonder if the USB were counted... there were, what, 7000 copies for the first press batch? *confused*

Ah, the reason to why MY STORY is so great is because almost every song is filled with good emotions, lyrics and melodies. I like MY STORY a lot, and it's honestly my favorite album from Ayu.

I hope NEXT LEVEL will do well eventually, and also make miracle when the USB copies finally start getting counted in... I suppose they needed a few days to process the numbers or something. Or maybe even the USB copies would be tabulated in the weekly sale, and not the daily sales.

YAYAYAYA GAGAGAGA DADADADA WOWOWOWO

Old 10th April 2009, 06:22 PM
WE WISH Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady_Eowyn View Post
Utada's english debut album sold approximately 500,000 units on it's first week in Japan.

Next level is selling at least double, so that probably means NL is much better than this is the one, according to Corikaru standards

Anyway, i'm happy with the album. I really like Next Level . i cannot say the same thing with This is the one.

Did Utada even promote her album in Japan?
Old 10th April 2009, 06:26 PM
Humming 7/4 Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolarAngel View Post
^Oh yeah it's Endlicheri's birthday. Speaking of which, Kinki Kids has also halted their annual year end album for the first time like ayu.

MY STORY really wowed me. It was a cohesive album and each song has a special place in my heart (except Liar and HAPPY ENDING). I would also like another album like that. Why do people keep demanding that ayu change her musical style? I don't think anyone ever told Schubert they were sick of his lieder 600 compositions down the road.
Exactly! I have nothing against her doing what she has been doing the past couple of years, as she is damn good at it. Btw Liar and HAPPY ENDING are one of my fave MY STORY tracks.

Follow me @njanjayrp

Old 10th April 2009, 07:10 PM
Lelio Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayuayu798 View Post
Did Utada even promote her album in Japan?
Yeah it got 8-9 different magazines articles and in stores billboards promotion.
Old 10th April 2009, 07:17 PM
Gut it-pez Initiate

promotion does help a lot but I really wonder why Avex is doing so little for NL promotion? Could it be that ayu chose to concentrate on her concert instead? Because wad i heard was the revenue earned from concert can easily surpass album sales. Moreover ayu always have soldout concerts
Old 10th April 2009, 07:39 PM
Greatful days Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by njanjayrp View Post
and no I don't think the name's enough.
Well obviously not anymore. Her popularity seems to be declining and that can be due to a number of things including the music. After her Rock venture on GUILTY that many didn't like, some may have been trepidacious to return this time around.

Quote:
Considering that both Days/GREEN and Rule/Sparkle were quite successful for female artist standards, I doubt it's the music that's preventing people from buying the album.
Those were 2 singles. NEXT LEVEL is an entire Album with a few more new songs on it. I don't think you can gauge people's thoughts on an entire Album based on how 2 of its Singles sold being that the Singles don't contain everything the Album does but that's obvious. Plus you know what you're going to get with Singles. For the most part, you don't know how the Album Tracks will sound so it's not as sure of a thing.

Plus, I think it's silly to think that the quality of music on a product has NO bearing on how it sells. That's the whole point of music. Again, sounds like excuses to me. I say it's no good to try and change someone's mind. This is my view on it all. Nothing will change. Nothing wrong with that.

I Have Never Tried On PERFUME Before, But There Is A First Time For Everything.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by drdolce View Post
Man, CoriKaru's posts are gold.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahtka-chan View Post
^Hell no, Ayu is not that pretty.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrenekoi View Post
^ There's nothig wrong on being a slut...
Quote:
I saw Ayu's dress and realized where the budget for the whole video went. On the dress.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoriKaru View Post
ayumistans I swear fo' gawd.
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcelosama View Post
For some things you have Mastercard, for others you have Nakata Yasutaka
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle ! View Post
Kuu Like a Sick And His midecin is near She should use it before it's gonna expire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klauser_Bateson View Post
So this is the girl who said her favorite Playstation game was Super Mario Bros. and held the PS Vita upside down at a press conference.

That aside, how's her music? Is it good?

Last edited by CoriKaru; 10th April 2009 at 07:44 PM.
Old 10th April 2009, 08:00 PM
RED LINE ~for TA~ Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrat2219 View Post
Am I the only one who didn't find MY STORY that special? >_<; Sometimes I think people only like it just because it had 10 new tracks <_<; But I could be wrong!
Well MY STORY was very different from what she had released earlier...maybe going in the way of Because of You. Not to mention that, even though there is 10 new tracks, most of them have unique lyrics, and the album does have a definite flow and theme.

For me, it's one of, if not the best put together album, mostly because it's consistent, without being boring. It also doesn't really fall under any genre, it's not exactly Rock, but it's not really pop either, which kind of goes hand in hand with Ayu's releases...or well...the good ones anyway.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayumisrael View Post
Yeah it got 8-9 different magazines articles and in stores billboards promotion.
Which isn't really anything.

@CoriKaru: you're probably right...however, the thing that scares me is, if Ayu were to have actually put out a good album...I'm not so sure her sales would have been that much higher. Of course, the album she put out combined with all the feelings about her = these kinds of sales.

You are right though about the quality of music, however, I think sometimes we need to take into consideration that there are other factors for people liking certain music, like boybands lol if someone needs an example, other than just the music.

Not everyone is a musician or a music connoisseur. Most people are just average arent they.

Go listen to the album damnmit

☆ bunnnniiiieeeesssss ☆

- The "New Artists You're Trying Out" Thread -

don't forget to spread the kuu

Old 10th April 2009, 08:08 PM
rainy day Initiate

Yep, MY STORY was such an amazing album. Even if the tracks scored separately might not be absolutely amazing, it just seems like they flowed so perfect in the album and the style that went along with it was grand. It will always be my favorite album and pretty much where I put the bar at for Ayu releases, like "Hm, is this better than MY STORY? Where does it fall in comparison?" Lol.
Old 10th April 2009, 08:48 PM
Humming 7/4 Initiate

Quote:

Well obviously not anymore. Her popularity seems to be declining and that can be due to a number of things including the music. After her Rock venture on GUILTY that many didn't like, some may have been trepidacious to return this time around.

Her popularity has been declining since 2003, so that's nothing new. No matter what kind of music Ayu did the sales kept declining since I am...

Quote:

Those were 2 singles. NEXT LEVEL is an entire Album with a few more new songs on it. I don't think you can gauge people's thoughts on an entire Album based on how 2 of its Singles sold being that the Singles don't contain everything the Album does but that's obvious. Plus you know what you're going to get with Singles. For the most part, you don't know how the Album Tracks will sound so it's not as sure of a thing.
Sure that's true, but that didn't stop more people from buying the albums in the past. I was just saying that considering the singles were quite successful one would think more people would go for the album. Overall you didn't say anything that isn't obvious

Quote:

Plus, I think it's silly to think that the quality of music on a product has NO bearing on how it sells. That's the whole point of music. Again, sounds like excuses to me. I say it's no good to try and change someone's mind. This is my view on it all. Nothing will change. Nothing wrong with that.
I didn't say the quality of music has nothing to do with the sales (you are free to re-read my posts), I was just saying that the if an album/single is of what we consider to be "great quality", that doesn't mean it will sell well. As we are all aware that even what we consider junk can sell. That's all. I don't really need to make up excuses as I am quite aware of the whole situation Ayu's currently in + I simply don't think anythings wrong with her music but that's another matter of opinion.

Follow me @njanjayrp

Last edited by njanjayrp; 10th April 2009 at 08:52 PM.
Old 10th April 2009, 09:06 PM
End of the World Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady_Eowyn View Post

I agree 100%.
And those of us that are comparing have actually LISTENED to these albums and our opinions are based on the albums' contents. We all know that Ayu and Utada are big names and thus we assume they should have been able to sell well with minimal promotion. This is clearly not the case anymore. Things like the quality of music on an album is very subjective. Several top selling albums, which I will leave unnamed, made my ears bleed yet they were received very well by the public.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emiko View Post
Not everyone is a musician or a music connoisseur. Most people are just average arent they.
While this was a response to someone else, I'm not sure what you're trying to say about listeners. Yes, normally your average Joe will be the one buying an album, but that doesnt mean that musically uneducated people can't have good, or different taste. What I might find ingenious you might think is garbage and vice versa.
Old 10th April 2009, 11:23 PM
ever free Initiate

^ she's saying that music isn't the only thing thats going to get us to buy an album. We're going to judge artists/bands on other things too like looks and such. At least thats what i got from her post.

I personally feel that her album sales are decent at this point but definitely lower than expected D: but yeah at least she got platinum no matter what lmao. I think thats good enough. TBH her album wasn't that great IMO. Its a decent album. I like a few tracks on it, but I didnt feel like they were good enough for me to buy the album and I didn't even keep the songs. I deleted them all after my first run( except for the songs on GREEN/days single because I actually bought that). OF coruse its different in people's opinion but I mean we can definitely say NL wasn't anything too new or special compared to like My Story or even (Miss)understood >< ~! At least the album seems to be selling very stabiliy. So maybe in the end it'll reach 400k or more !

@emiko I was about to say the same thign about utada's promotion lol XD ~!!! but then I expected this since she released this album more for the US than japan. At least the album seems to have stability to it even with that kind of promotion lol ~!

"Isn't it ironic that more people are interested in the maid rather than the queen of J-pop? Someone's losing their touch in the industry"

Last edited by ayumixfan; 10th April 2009 at 11:32 PM.
Old 11th April 2009, 12:19 AM
Greatful days Initiate

Quote:

@CoriKaru: you're probably right...however, the thing that scares me is, if Ayu were to have actually put out a good album...I'm not so sure her sales would have been that much higher. Of course, the album she put out combined with all the feelings about her = these kinds of sales.

You are right though about the quality of music, however, I think sometimes we need to take into consideration that there are other factors for people liking certain music, like boybands lol if someone needs an example, other than just the music.

Go listen to the album damnmit
All very good points.

Haha. Don't worry. I'll be getting on that very soon.

Quote:
And those of us that are comparing have actually LISTENED to these albums and our opinions are based on the albums' contents.
I don't believe I'm comparing and forming opinions on any the content of the Album being that I said I first need to hurry and listen to it so that I may possibly obtain an idea as why you guys opinions are what they actually are and why the sales and concert tickets are in the unfortunate predicament that they find themselves to be in. That's all.

I Have Never Tried On PERFUME Before, But There Is A First Time For Everything.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by drdolce View Post
Man, CoriKaru's posts are gold.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahtka-chan View Post
^Hell no, Ayu is not that pretty.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrenekoi View Post
^ There's nothig wrong on being a slut...
Quote:
I saw Ayu's dress and realized where the budget for the whole video went. On the dress.
Quote:
ayumistans I swear fo' gawd.
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcelosama View Post
For some things you have Mastercard, for others you have Nakata Yasutaka
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle ! View Post
Kuu Like a Sick And His midecin is near She should use it before it's gonna expire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klauser_Bateson View Post
So this is the girl who said her favorite Playstation game was Super Mario Bros. and held the PS Vita upside down at a press conference.

That aside, how's her music? Is it good?
Old 11th April 2009, 12:50 AM
Liar Initiate

Quote:
Am I the only one who didn't find MY STORY that special? >_<; Sometimes I think people only like it just because it had 10 new tracks <_<; But I could be wrong!
You're not the only one! I also don't think it's that great of an album. Too many of the tracks sounded the same to me. In my opinion it is a bit over rated. Though I do like it, I certainly don't love it. However it's different for everyone I guess

FlavorsCD CollectionNana Mizuki Forum
Old 11th April 2009, 01:15 AM
walking proud Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by keikeiaznqueen View Post
You know, there were over 10,000 USBs, right? Or for the First Press at least, there were 7000? If those sold out, and NONE of the previous daily sales numbers have gotten over 7000, then how could the USB sales have possibly been counted?
They may have counted on the first day, even though people didn't think they would. Or they could have been counted on different days, not all just on one.

Quote:

@SURREAL_RAINBOW - well so far WILD/Dr. isn't doing really well physically, as it barely broke 100k on it's 3rd week. Chances are it will barely outsell Rule/Sparkle and considering Namie was in her 2nd peak in 2008 it could either mean that she's already lost it or that the economy is affecting the sales too much, but than again there are examples that can prove that wrong..
Yeah, with Namie at least these single sales are slightly higher than average for her the last couple of years though. I did think it would sell more than this though. It has stayed consistently high on the download charts however.

Last edited by SunshineSlayer; 11th April 2009 at 01:26 AM.
Old 11th April 2009, 02:20 AM
ever free Initiate

294,884 is a pretty good number

I hope she will sell more than 8 hundreds copies!
Old 11th April 2009, 02:28 AM
(don't) Leave me alone Initiate

Quote:
nope! i was so disappointed with MY STORY. it was more of a quantity over quality album. i can't even listen to it through all the way, i skip so many tracks.

anyway i hope she will eventually reach 400k.
Old 11th April 2009, 02:41 AM
Lelio Protector

Quote:

All very good points.

Haha. Don't worry. I'll be getting on that very soon.

I don't believe I'm comparing and forming opinions on any the content of the Album being that I said I first need to hurry and listen to it so that I may possibly obtain an idea as why you guys opinions are what they actually are and why the sales and concert tickets are in the unfortunate predicament that they find themselves to be in. That's all.
For the concert - We should not own worries though since the tour is still her most demanded one to date and the number of tickets re-sale is still lower than minor compared to the number of the audience in those venues (even if we are subtracting their number from a total of 1 venue).

Quote:

It's more articles than NEXT LEVEL got and ayu's album is only aimed for japanese audience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayumixfan View Post
^ she's saying that music isn't the only thing thats going to get us to buy an album. We're going to judge artists/bands on other things too like looks and such. At least thats what i got from her post.

I personally feel that her album sales are decent at this point but definitely lower than expected D: but yeah at least she got platinum no matter what lmao. I think thats good enough. TBH her album wasn't that great IMO. Its a decent album. I like a few tracks on it, but I didnt feel like they were good enough for me to buy the album and I didn't even keep the songs. I deleted them all after my first run( except for the songs on GREEN/days single because I actually bought that). OF coruse its different in people's opinion but I mean we can definitely say NL wasn't anything too new or special compared to like My Story or even (Miss)understood >< ~! At least the album seems to be selling very stabiliy. So maybe in the end it'll reach 400k or more !

@emiko I was about to say the same thign about utada's promotion lol XD ~!!! but then I expected this since she released this album more for the US than japan. At least the album seems to have stability to it even with that kind of promotion lol ~!
I actually find (miss)understood being less experimental (the only new styled song there after all is Bold & Delicious and maybe Pride too).
NEXT LEVEL had really major electronica influenced songs using pop and rock and synthed beats and that's why the album is getting mixed feelings and also from the japanese audience, unlike (m)u that a lot of people liked and it was less experimental.

For hikki's promotion, it was the same with EXODUS that wasn't aimed for the japanese audience and sold a million. No one expected it to be popular in japan like that, but I saw many and a lot expecting way more out of it, at least half a million specially considering a lot of people liked it more than EXODUS. Let's stop the TITO discussion though.

This thread is dark and gloomy enough with people's dissapointment with NL's sales (which generally the number isn't bad but for ayu's standards it's a bit dissapointing).

Btw oricon might actually count the USBs at the end of the oricon week.
Remember that the first week sales were +13,000ed more than the estimated number?
We will know though only at the end of the week (if there won't a be big drop) probably.
If there will though then yeah we can say the encore press officially didn't help much.

Last edited by ayumisrael; 11th April 2009 at 03:50 AM.
Old 11th April 2009, 04:10 AM
ourselves Initiate

wow, i had no idea that Exodus sold so much! it was a total flop in the US, as is TITO.

m(u) wasn't experimental, it was just a jumble of different very definite styles that didn't flow together when mashed onto the same album.

but i think the sales are doing fine. Avex nor Ayu can complain, considering how rushed NL was.

My travel blog
Closed Thread