Song By Song Review Of Memorial Address - Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
· Ayu's Official Site · Ayu's twitter · Ayu's YouTube · masa's translations · Misa-chan's translations ·

Go Back   Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai > Ayumi Hamasaki Forums > Ayu Chat-Room

Notices

Old 27th December 2003, 11:20 AM
As if.. Initiate

Exclamation Song By Song Review Of Memorial Address

I decided to made a song by song review for Memorial Address (one reason is because theyre are only 8 songs hehe)

So if you have the time on your hands indivually review Memorial Address' songs.

I will also say I purposly stayed away frm the singles so it would be like an album of 8 brand new never heard before songs for me. Unfortantly I heard Greatful Days and Ourselves.
Another note: I listened to every track while writing this. So yes this took me 40 minutes to write....meaning I was very bored!!!!!!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Track #1: Angel's Song
If you are a well known artist, it is a smart movie to put your worst song first, reason being first impressions is what people expect for the rest of the album .(if that makes since) Thus is the case with Memorial Address. This song feels rushed. I dont really like the chorus or the verse. The little intro was very unappealing. Still the song is listenable. It is by no means awful, but is sounds like 'run-of-the-mill' j-pop. Which for the most part is watered down and bland. The only real positive aspect of this song is the bridge between chours 2 and chorus 3. Besides that the best way to describe this track is bland.

Track #2: Greatful Days
If Greatful Days was going to be a food, it would be candy. That is what this track is. It is a fun song/summer song. A perfect song for driving with the windows down, wind blowing in your face with the sun shining. One thing I will point out is the harp; it really adds alot to this song gives the song a smoother feel. One could imagine this song being played in heaven. Production on this song is really well done and the bridge on this song between chorus 2 and 3 is WONDERFUL!!!!!!! Very good song, but still...it could of been better. It is overall an average Ayu track.

Track #3: Because of You
The first really really good track. Props to Koji Morimoto for his mixing job on this song. It has above average production values. Values that other j-pop artist should do, but rarly do.(How many times have you wished Hitomi's vocals were turned down and music turned up a bit.) HALs solo was good and not to heavy in the mix. Ayu's vocals were perfect for this song. Overall above average Ayu track.

Track #4: Ourselves
The hero of this song is the beat. I wont deny it, for some ungodly reason I LOVE IT. This song has a WONDERFUL begining. The melodies and note arrangements I LOVE!!!!!!!! As you can tell I just like this song. Yes, I know it has a western sound to it, but it is still better that most western pop artists(lemme correct myself: better than all western pop artists). The break beats are wonderful. Ayu's overdubs are the only complaint they are good but something about them doesn't sound right. Overall an above average track. I like, I like!

Track #5: Hanabi ~episode II~
The original HANABI would get in my head for days and days at a time, I really didn't fancy the song that much, but it was catchy. This raises the question; Why is episode II so forgetful? I have had this album for a week and with out listening to the song I can't hum a tune off of it. The back-up vocals are HORRIBLE (the yeayeaooowhoaoa). They got on my nerves. But Ayu's voice really saves this song from being bad. Guitar tone was interesting, not bad not good. Overall the second worst track on the album.

Track #6: No Way To Say
Aside from the title, everything is good about this song. Not amazing, not phenominal, just good. No real mistakes made on this song but then again nothing done above average. I'm sure when people remember Ayumi Hamasaki in 15 years people won't think 'No Way To Say' (unless it was their first Ayu song to listen to.) Overall this track is average.

Track#7: Forgivness
The song Forgivness is hard to digest, but when understood it is like a gem. This song really kicks my butt. Dynamics used like they were in this song have never been used in a Ayu song.(to my knowledge) The time changes are nothing short of genious. The most beatutiful thing about this gem is the prduction towards the end. I dont even know how to begin to praise Yasuo Matsumoto for this. Ayu's vocal production on most all her songs stay the same but the music production on this song...OMG OMG OMG! The arrangement is wonderful. The backup vocals again wonderful! The string section....wonderful. The only problem I have with this song is the ending. It needed something more to go with that Piano arpeggio. Overall an above average Ayu song.

Track 8: Memorial Address
GAAAH! I hate the begining of this song! When the song does finally pick up it is good. Ayus low vibratos were somewhat funny. Back-up vocals were nice. I love how the bass drives the more upbeat part in the song.(as opposed to the guitars). This song runs into the problem that Forgivness had: an awkward ending. This is overall an average song.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There ya have it my unimportant two cents. So what did you think of Memorial Address?
Old 27th December 2003, 12:10 PM
Connected Initiate

well, i dont know music language i cant say stuff like ~i really liked the pitch of the tone set in [ourselves]~

butteh............... i was really surprised when [ANGEL'S SONG] came on, id been expecting a ballad from the title, then this crazy cheesy song started pumping out...
i thought itd be produced by BOUNCEBACK cos it really reminds me of [Greatful days] (which i dont like) but i actually like this track, it makes me feel happy
PV - WTF??!! its quite funny, but dumb... the lyrics are quite nice, altho this kind of pv is more interesting than a ballad-type video...

[Greatful days] - too irritating... usually skip it on both Memo ado + &...
PV - im not like ImpactBreaker hes smart enough to see the meanings in ayus pvs, but when i saw the crocodile i was just like ~........wtfs a crocodile doin in the vid?~ and i wouldnt have been able to work out why people were smashing up her house...
she looks good in the video tho, her dancings... "cute" ;P she should stick her tongue out more.

[Because of You] - waaa.. this track came on and i really didnt like it... it sounded too fake and over-produced.. i scared myself **** cos i started to doubt whether i still liked ayu ... but
PV - AMAZING!! the imagery is awesome, the correography in time to the beat is really cool, and the concepts are bizarre... that director rocks because [ourselves] is also fantastic...

[ourselves] - nice tune, altho the KT rmx is superior imo... best track off &... like the lyrics, tune...
PV rocks... goth ayu is too cool... i already wrote about this pv b4 but its definitely one of her best!!!!!!!! if u havent seen it WATCH IT!!!!!!

[HANABI~episode II~] - couldnt get myself to like HANABI, but i like ~episode II~... but i agree with RebornLS, the yeyewohwohwoh parts ruin the song a bit... videos very nice... i have another version of the vid tho i think.. i got a bootleg dvd with all & pvs and some others in july, and i think that maybe they re-editted some of it for the M.a dvd... looks better tho...
very peaceful + nice pv... she looks great

[No way to say] - i didnt like that title either... but at least it fits with the lyrics : nee umaku kotoba ni naranai...
really liked it at first, its still nice, but theres so many better tracks to listen to [in general, not on M.a ]
PV - only watched it once... the santa freaked me out, but after reading Impacts interpretation i can appreciate it a bit more desyo

[forgiveness] - I HATE THIS SONG!!!! i cant say i hate all ballads, cos i really like [Who...] [RAINBOW] [appears] etc, but i guess its just way too slow... also the engrish...
ayu's darkest hour... :-/
PV = ok... but i thought when she touched the golden egg shed fly out of the tower, but instead she just stayed there... ?

[Memorial address] - standout track on the album... its great, her voice is a bit dodge on the later choruses, but the arrangement and production of this is really nice [shame it wasnt CREA]
avex ytf didnt u make a pv to the best track????

Special Digest was interesting too - lookin 4ward to the dvd

A Song for XY
煽動、戦争、懺悔、告解、欺瞞、謎、愛、そして別離…。

歩き続ける 唄い続ける 辛い現実が そこに待ってても 必ず行くよキミはきっと キズつきながら そして  悲しみながら 喜びながら 進むべき道は ひとつだから
Old 27th December 2003, 02:20 PM
CAROLS Initiate

well
my review is..
1. ANGEL'S SONG = its a rather good song.... but it is the worst if we compare it with the other 7 tracks... ANGEL'S SONG'S purpose is too give you some advise to be wise and mature ...
2. Greatful Days = It is a nice summer song... if we listen it at summer then it will be a great song... It's a song to show your thanks to another people...
3. Because Of You = It's a rocky song... It is my ourselves ~Episode II~ coz the meaning is connected... we should know our heart.... the honesty of your feeling... if your heart say u love him/her say it...
4. Ourselves = a little bit thrilling song... coz the PV is the most thrilling...
5. HANABI ~episode II~ = this is the climax of this album... i love this song very much
6. No Way To Say = calm song... dont have any other opinion bout this
7. Forgiveness = very calm song... this song is very nice and has a good meaning....
8. Memorial Address = since it is a take 2 version no other opinion... my only opinion is "excellente"
Old 27th December 2003, 03:12 PM
SCAR Initiate

my review:

ANGEL'S SONG=An OK song, it's quite forgetable, I mean, I didn't remember the musoc after listening to it 2 times and the only thing I remember is the 30 second clip from the CM. The PV is OK too, not laugh-out-loud funny, but funny.

Greatful days = Great summer song. It makes me happy =) and makes me think of the funness of summer. The PV is eh....random.

Because of You = I love this song, but I have to listen to it more. The PV is what makes me love this song, very dark and 10x better than ourselves. Half way through the song is when it gets good.

ourselves = I don't LOVE this song, but I like it. It's not bad, just weird. The PV is good, but get's boring after a few views.

HANABI ~episode II~ = Another song I really like, Ayu sounds real good and genuine in this one. The PV is also good, though a bit boring, still, it's beautiful.

No way to say = I love this song too, but it suffers from what I call Fly high syndrome, I played it out and it's boring now ^^. That's good though! that means I love it! The PV is real nice too.

forgiveness = real beautiful song, I really found out I love it when I was walking to the train station and it started snowing slowly. I got chills and my eyes got all watery ^^. As it headed towards the climax it snowed more and more ^^ great scene. The PV is good too, looks GREAT on DVD.

Memorial Address = I REALLY wish Ayu'd get rid of those evil backup singers. If it'd been Ayu alone, I think this would've been better. I don't love this song, but it's not horrible. I need to relisten to it.
Old 27th December 2003, 05:08 PM
No way to say Initiate

Quote:
im not like ImpactBreaker hes smart enough to see the meanings in ayus pvs
first of all, i'd like to post a disclaimer that i do not look into pv meanings either. i watch them, nice visuals? nice pv. bad visuals? bad pv. 'nuff said

songs...well, i dont feel liek going into detail..but here are the songs in order from fav. to least-
ourselves (yep. still my favorite)
hanabi 2 (listen to it a lot, u start liking it a lot.)
memorial address (suprisingly nice ballad)
no way to say (ok..i have a feeling these 3 ballads together are in the wrong order..o_o)
because of you (..how did this get all teh way down here?! O_O)
angel's song (haha..the pv was grreat)
forgiveness (pretty song...but not exactly my type..)
greatful days (ehhh..)

pv favorite to least-
ourselves..NICE!
hanabi 2..simple..and she's friggin gorgeous
because of you..confusing..but interesting..nice effects.
angel's song..bank robbery, wolf, matrix. what else coudl we ask for?
greatful days..very simple. happy pv..ayumi looks nice here.
no way to say..too confusing. i dont like it when stuff makes me think.
forgiveness..fairies...? FAIRIES? x_x

Last edited by jerms; 27th December 2003 at 05:33 PM.
Old 27th December 2003, 05:15 PM
HAPPY ENDING Initiate

ANGEL'S SONG: Nice, fun track to kick the CD off with, and a hilarious PV to go with it too I prefer this track to Greatful Days - I just love the way it sounds, and the lyrics overall.

Greatful Days: nice song, but not really one I want to listen to over and over again...

Because of You: great track, very strong. One of the best on this CD - and a very strong PV for it too.

ourselves: I've loved this song since the summer, and think this has a very creative PV to go with it. I really love this one.

HANABI ~episode II~ : I honestly prefer the first HANABI to this one. The second one is a bit like Greatful days, nice, but not really memorable. However, the lyrics in this are just as good as the first. Nice PV to go with it too.

No way to say: I really love how beautiful this song sounds, and the wonderful lyrics for it - this is one I listen to a lot

forgiveness: This is one of my faves on this CD - I love this ballad, it sounds wonderful, and the PV has to be my fave out of the PVs for the songs...

Memorial address: This song sounds like it's a ballad at the beginning, but then becomes something else. I love Ayu's vocals in this one, and the lyrics. Definitely one of the best tracks on this CD. It would be a shame if this song was not released as a single.

Overall, I like all the songs on this album - I have very few CDs where I can listen to it right-through without having to skip a track, and this is one of them. There are a couple of tracks that aren't as strong or memorable as the others, but still it's a good album I feel.

"Once you turn into a memory, you exist inside me forever
& that's the cruelest thing there is..."
-18.12.08- -25.06.09- -29.02.12- -06.08.13-

. . . . . .
Old 28th December 2003, 06:02 PM
theme of a-nation '03 Initiate

i thought angels song was da best track of the album!!next to B.O.Y and ouselves

XANGA
Old 28th December 2003, 11:44 PM
forgiveness Initiate

I'll just be lazy and list my favorite to least favorite songs on Memorial Address ;D

Because of You
Memorial Address
No way to say
Forgiveness (except for the ending lol)
Hanabi ~Episode II~
Angel's Song (wish the opening music was going to be the music for the entire song! lol)
Greatful Days
Ourselves (stab stab stab...)
Old 29th December 2003, 09:01 AM
P.S II Initiate

ill be lazy too...here's my most to least fave

memorial address
because of you
hanabi episode II
ourselves
no way to say
angels song
forgiveness

i love everyone of these, its just that some are more memorable than others.
Old 29th December 2003, 08:21 PM

my review...

ANGEL'S SONG --->
pretty good!! nice for when you're really happy song

Greatful days --->
okish... not the best

Because of You --->
i really love!!

Ourselves --->
i love also!!

HANABI~episode II~ --->
very good & sad

no way to say --->
good

forgiveness --->
very good

Memorial address --->
i like!!

i think worst song is greatful days & best is because of you *^_^*
Old 1st January 2004, 12:33 AM
no more words Initiate

Okay.... when you said aside from the title "no way to say" the song is ok you didn't know this:
I am taking Japanese and am in level one but i know many things from level two and three. Me and my teacher translated this song (I came to her when I needed help... a couple of times) It is ABOUT her wanting to tell someone to all these things. Because japanese can be a metaphorical language she says her thoughts she wants to tell are overflowing. Oh and on Memorial Adress, it is her greatest song to date (not by style of music but by how GOOD it is) Thats what I think...
Old 1st January 2004, 01:18 AM
Endless sorrow Initiate

angels song: its a nice song..but i cant imagine listening to it everyday o_O wen i hear a song i really like..i end up listening to it ALOT...but with angels song...there wasnt dat "connection".
greatful days: this song is "dancy"...didnt like the PV though. but its a good song!! ^__^
because of you: the PV was ok.......its a nice song i guess..but then again theres no "connection" between me and dat song. i actually prefere "BoA's rock with u" more.. ¬_¬
ourselves: the PV was sooooo scary........ : ( the song's ok....better than angels song.
hanabi ep 2: it took a while for me to like dis song....but yes..as jerms said the mor u hear it the more u'll like it.
no way to say: i luv dis song.....and ayu looks soo good in the PV!!!!
forgiveness: i didnt like the "beating" noise in the bakground...but its a nice song...very sweet ^^
memorial address: my fav song on the album!! beautiful from the beginning and the end!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 10/10!!!!!!!!!! =^_=

Old 6th September 2004, 11:28 PM
everlasting dream Initiate

Favorite to Least:

ourselves
ANGEL'S SONG
HANABI ~Episode II~
Forgiveness
Because of You
No Way to Say
Greatful Days
Memorial Address

Thanks to Maj for the gorgeous Ayu set! <3

Old 6th September 2004, 11:50 PM
no more words Initiate

QUOTE=RebornLS]Track #6: No Way To Say
Aside from the title, everything is good about this song.[/QUOTE]
Ummm the title was PERFECT. Me and my Japanese teacher went through the song. It is the perfect title for the song, considering the lyrics. One of ayumi's most accurate titles.
Old 6th September 2004, 11:51 PM
no more words Initiate

oh this is an old topic, I already said something.
Old 7th September 2004, 12:42 AM
ever free Initiate

well, the first sentence was negative.... wanna read my review? check it out on my site www.geocities.com/onestop_jpop (click reviews on the right hand side)
Old 7th September 2004, 02:28 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiousei
ill be lazy too...here's my most to least fave

memorial address
because of you
hanabi episode II
ourselves
no way to say
angels song
forgiveness

i love everyone of these, its just that some are more memorable than others.
I'm the exact opposite. Here's my order:
forgiveness
Angel's Song
No way to say
Ourselves
Hanabi ~episode II~
Because of You
Memorial Address
Greatful Days

Old 28th December 2004, 03:32 AM
As if.. Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayuspeed
QUOTE=RebornLS]Track #6: No Way To Say
Aside from the title, everything is good about this song.
Ummm the title was PERFECT. Me and my Japanese teacher went through the song. It is the perfect title for the song, considering the lyrics. One of ayumi's most accurate titles.
Who cares if it is accurate? No way to say is a bad title, i hate ryming titles. personal opinion.
Old 28th December 2004, 06:58 AM
Mirror Initiate

for me i htink the title no way to say is a bit weird
Old 28th December 2004, 07:24 AM
The Judgement Day Guardian

I love the title "No Way To Say" hahahaha rhymes are a no-no to me but it's not like ayu does that with every of her titles...it's an unique title, and she tried that the first time and it came out meaningful. At least she didn't do something like "LUV U" or "KISS4U", now those are bad titles.

♬♪aijou de nuritsubushite
owaranai Spiral nukedasenai
mazari au mayoi sae irodukete so high
kaeshitakunai
Rise in a spiral yeah
I go insane
Dive to your paradise
(Treat me like a fool)♬♪