ayumi hamasaki ARENA TOUR 2018 ~POWER of MUSIC 20th Anniversary ~ [III] - Page 4 - Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
· Ayu's Official Site · Ayu's twitter · Ayu's YouTube · masa's translations · Misa-chan's translations ·

Go Back   Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai > Ayumi Hamasaki Forums > Ayu Music News

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 8th April 2018, 12:37 PM

So I went yesterday and today. Since yesterday was my first Ayu concert, I was super happy to see her finally live after 15 years. I was a bit disappointed yesterday and went today telling myself that, since I know the show already, I can focus more on enjoying the music, instead of watching what was going on.
I was about to break into tears a few times because of how bad that concert is and because of how disappoibted I am.

The beginning with her shouting the first verses acapella were really bad. It was so bad I had to laugh.
evolution was ok and I remember being happy about A Song for xx, Mad World and ever free. But now that the excitment for my first Ayu concert was gone today, those performances were horrible. I hated them. She was running from one point of the stage to another like a scared chicken during all three songs, was constantly fake crying and throwing herself on the floor and grabing her hair in fake despair. It was embarassing to watch.
There was a time when she sang A Song for xx without lying on the floor and I don't know why that is necessary. Because she was more concerned with performing the desperate woman, she shouted the whole time and barely hit a note.
There isn't much left to say for the rest of the concert since it's pretty boring. BRILLIANTE could have been great, wouldn't she not again have faked despair.
I actually really enjoyed NEXT LEVEL, she seemed to enjoy herself and was finally not faking anything. SURREAL and Boys & Girls also were fun.

The parts I enjoyed the most were the drum, guitar and bass solo, Timmy singing the intro to BRILLIANTE (that really was great) and I also loved Micchie singing Diary. Diary was really beautiful and the only ballad performed today that was sung beautifully, with a lot of emotion in the voice and without fake crying nor despair.

I have a ticket for one of the Osaka shows. Maybe I won't go and save me the money for the trip. This show isn't worth watching.
Old 8th April 2018, 01:00 PM
And Then Initiate

how...

I've speak with a friend who totally love the show yesterday, she told me that Ayu's voice was good and this more "sober" live was a good idea.

really, sometimes I don't understand how a same thing can affecte people so differently! that's pretty fascinating!

Well, I'm really sorry for you chibi-chan that you didn't like your first tour :/
I hope you will like more the next one! =)
Old 8th April 2018, 01:22 PM
P.S II Initiate

I’m dying for ever free live, waiting for ages and was actually given up the hope she’ll sing this song live, I hope will include in the concert release, if they actually have it planned.
Old 8th April 2018, 01:30 PM
WONDERLAND Initiate

I absolutely loved today show, it was so much more Fun than yesterday. I didn't had Great seats in both days nur today I at least had Arena Seats.
But my Highlight of the day was that we met Timmy on the train to Saitama Arena, he is soooo nice Person!

Arena Tour 2012 A ~HOTEL Love Songs~ Marine Messe Fukuoka ~ 21.04.2012
Arena Tour 2015 A ~Cirque de Minuit~ Osaka Jo Hall ~ 25.04.2015
Arena Tour 2018 ~POWER OF MUSIC 20th Anniversary~ Saitama Super Arena ~ 07.04.2018
Arena Tour 2018 ~POWER OF MUSIC 20th Anniversary~ Saitama Super Arena ~ 08.04.2018
25th Anniversary Live Tour ~ Beisia Culture Hall Gunma ~ 04.11.2023
Old 8th April 2018, 01:32 PM
I am... Initiate

Oh, don't people want to know what was done for her anniversary day?

We were given the instructions when we entered to surprise Ayu. In the encore after MC, she was going to start singing Surreal. But Zin came out on stage and stopped her. She was all surprised. Then they showed a slideshow the staff made showing all her milestones, first single, first album, first dome/stadium tour/CDL and the showed all her past arena tours. The audience sang this line from WHO:

Quote:
kore kara mo zutto kono utagoe ga
anata ni todokimasu you ni to
kore kara mo zutto kono utagoe ga
anata ni todoku you ni to
But, replaced "anata" with "Ayu"!

And Ayu was so touched and she even cried a little. They brought out a cake and took pictures with the audience facing the back of the cake.
Old 8th April 2018, 01:38 PM
NEVER EVER Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~angel*ayumi~ View Post
I absolutely loved today show, it was so much more Fun than yesterday. I didn't had Great seats in both days nur today I at least had Arena Seats.
But my Highlight of the day was that we met Timmy on the train to Saitama Arena, he is soooo nice Person!
That's cool! So that means that this time you got to stay for the whole show! I remember you mentioning that previously you had to leave earlier to get back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xianghua View Post

We were given the instructions when we entered to surprise Ayu. In the encore after MC, she was going to start singing Surreal. But Zin came out on stage and stopped her. She was all surprised. Then they showed a slideshow the staff made showing all her milestones, first single, first album, first dome/stadium tour/CDL and the showed all her past arena tours. The audience sang this line from WHO:

And Ayu was so touched and she even cried a little. They brought out a cake and took pictures with the audience facing the back of the cake.
That's so sweet!

Last edited by Katsuyuki012; 8th April 2018 at 01:41 PM.
Old 8th April 2018, 01:40 PM
SURREAL Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xianghua View Post

SO SWEET! thanks for sharing this, I really needed to read something positive

EDIT: Found these pictures, recycled or not, she looks great!

Last edited by Evan Odinson; 8th April 2018 at 01:43 PM.
Old 8th April 2018, 01:44 PM
Love song H-Initiate

https://mdpr.jp/music/detail/1758719
Old 8th April 2018, 01:46 PM
NEVER EVER Initiate

I'm in love with those photos *-* The show looks so nice IMO. I might be wrong but BRILLANTE's dress is very similar but not the same, it misses the leopard piece. First costume looks similar to original Beloved dress but is actually "new" too (i know it's basically just a replica) the glitter part of her dress is now connected with the down part and not as with PoM11 where it was like a 'lose' corsett (it always looked off to me xD). Can't wait to see a closer shot of the sparkly outfit though.

Can anyone tell me how present dancers are this time?

Last edited by Katsuyuki012; 8th April 2018 at 02:09 PM.
Old 8th April 2018, 01:53 PM
WONDERLAND Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsuyuki012 View Post
That's cool! So that means that this time you got to stay for the whole show! I remember you mentioning that previously you had to leave earlier to get back.

Yeah that was me in 2012 xD ( I had awesome seats back then though) but 2015 and this weekend I could stay whole concert xD

Arena Tour 2012 A ~HOTEL Love Songs~ Marine Messe Fukuoka ~ 21.04.2012
Arena Tour 2015 A ~Cirque de Minuit~ Osaka Jo Hall ~ 25.04.2015
Arena Tour 2018 ~POWER OF MUSIC 20th Anniversary~ Saitama Super Arena ~ 07.04.2018
Arena Tour 2018 ~POWER OF MUSIC 20th Anniversary~ Saitama Super Arena ~ 08.04.2018
25th Anniversary Live Tour ~ Beisia Culture Hall Gunma ~ 04.11.2023
Old 8th April 2018, 02:03 PM
NEVER EVER Initiate

Ah, I see! That's very nice! Now you gotta add that to your signature! XD

Old 8th April 2018, 02:18 PM
NEVER EVER Initiate

She looks great on these photos
Old 8th April 2018, 02:50 PM
Initiate

I went to today's concert and really enjoyed it. It was my first Ayu concert and I honestly have no complaints. Couldn't believe she sang ever free and I was so happy to see SURREAL and evolution separate. I thought her voice was fine, towards the end she shouted a bit but it still didn't sound terrible. When they brought out the cake and showed the slideshow it was so touching. I had a great time!
Old 8th April 2018, 03:12 PM
SURREAL H-Initiate

So here's my novel of a review. It skips around, so just a warning lol.

Take from it what you want. Some people won't like it, but hey, this is how I feel about it so, I'm not apologizing. Also, I reserve the right to change my mind at anytime lol.

Spoiler:

I'm going to preface this with a few things. First of all, my ideal setlist for most concerts would be about 80% up-tempo happy songs, 15% ballads, and like 5% rock. I was already going into this with a certain mind frame.

Second, since 2009 I have been to 50+ Ayu concerts. I have become quite critical and no longer just accept things for how they are. I've spent thousands of dollars on her and I'm allowed to express any issues I may have. I love her, and despite any issues I may have I'm going to continue to support her. My critiques are meant to be constructive, and not just complaining for the sake of it.

So.

This tour isn't advertised as a "best of" or a "replica" of something, it's advertised as being a new tour, celebrating her 20th anniversary and bringing back a previously well presented concept.

Let's talk about that concept. PoM was created out of a tragedy. It was a completely new idea that she had previously never done. And the emotion was very real. I attended the first PoM and though I was initially very annoyed about the concept change (I -loved- Love songs and really wanted to see the original concept for it), PoM ended up being an amazing moment that I'm so thankful for having been able to experience it.

So when she announced this current tour, I was excited for it. Unfortunately it failed in every way possible to compare to it. And yes, comparisons are completely fair game, it literally shares the same title.

Choosing to open this with forgiveness was a terrible idea imo. the first PoM did this so amazingly, and this was like...so empty. All the ad-libbing at the end of the song was mimed to the backup singers voices. Her movements were weird, and it didn't capture the magic at all. The opening notes were a struggle, and it was just kind of awkward.

The awkwardness continued for a lot of songs. Tons of falling to the ground, grabbing her hair, crying, arm flailing, dress clutching, and "conductor" like movements. Things she's been doing a lot of for there past several tours. Sometimes effective, but can feel very repetitive.

The re-arrangements were interesting, but not enough to really excite me. The majority of the songs performed were already performed at the original concert. I truly don't understand why she would sing so many of them again?

ever free was a welcomed addition, but the re-arrangement was made into rock, and the sensitivity of the original song failed to come through imo. And, again, falling to the ground, crying, etc. But again, this is a personal taste sort of thing. Some people might love this new sound. But don't expect the original song.

In terms of costumes, aside from Brilliante, Bold & delicious~Next Level, and the encore, I believe every outfit was white. Nothing spectacular or memorable. The best one was right before the encore imo. Her hair accessory was kind of reminiscent of a long version of the hairpiece in the Dearest video.

Her dancers wore the same outfits at the beginning as they did at the end. The same outfits used for the recent CDTV performance I believe. Or at least very similar... The frog costume was repeated for one of the acrobats.

Timmy and Miccie actually upstaged her, imo. They sang with a lot more gusto and technical accuracy. Not really an issue, but i found it worth noting. (Timmy's section for Brillante was great. He actually scared some children and they started crying and the mom had to bring them out haha. He was like a Disney villain. This section, and ayu's performance of HBYA were probably my favorite.

But because the tour was so loaded with melodramatic sad and angry songs, I found myself weary. B&D finally woke me up, but by then the tour was essentially over.

The audience, myself included, was most excited during the encore. SURREAL got everyone moving, and it felt the most magical. It was the Ayu that I, at least, was waiting to see. Alas it lasted for like 3 songs.

Before SURREAL Ayu sang a very brief section of Girlish acapella, i don't think it was planned. It was right after the audience sang Who... to her, and after we took a picture with her and the cake and everyone.

I had arena seats, A7 area. Good seats, it was probably the closest I've been for her tours.

The stage itself was not very interesting. There was a large screen in the back, and then the two normal small screens on both upper areas. There were two big hearts with A marks where the dancers entered and exited. No props or background changes aside from the digital ones.

It could have been where I was sitting, but it was hard to hear her voice over the music for some of the songs. Might have been the acoustics though.

All in all, this tour, imo, is not DVD worthy. Nothing new, nothing spectacular, nothing celebratory at all. Today was her anniversary so there was a little summary of her career video that her team made, and then that was really it aside from us singing to her.

I'll actually be surprised if they release this as a standalone concert as it is now... I could see it being combined with a CD release, but as its own thing? I mean, again, this is a taste thing. Maybe some people will love it. And in fact I hope people do. I really don't think she intended for this to be such a dividing tour lol.

But imo, an anniversary tour could have been easy to put together. She could have just sung a bunch of fan favorites, and then added in some hidden gems. Sure people would have still complained, but it'd at least have made sense being her anniversary and all...But this was a hodgepodge of songs imo... individually i love them all, but it was just underwhelming.

20 years in business, but we don't even get 20 songs xD

BTW, a picture of her staff's tour shirts started floating around. After the current dates, April 6th and 7th 2019, Saitama Super Arena, are written.

So, not sure exactly what those dates mean yet. I'll try to find the pic and post it, unless someone else beats me to it.

Anyway. If you've made it this far, sorry if I offended anyone. And for jumping all over the place. I wrote this as it came to me haha.

She's certainly working hard, but I just don't think this tour was ready to be performed yet. I'm curious as to why she's been so determined to tour as much as she has been.

Edit: here's the staff shirt

If I think of anything else I'll be sure to add it.

"Remember, don't let others dictate your music taste. If you like whatever you're listening to, keep listening to it."

Last edited by tokyoxjapanxfan; 8th April 2018 at 03:19 PM.
Old 8th April 2018, 03:35 PM
Boys & Girls Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by tokyoxjapanxfan View Post

Take from it what you want. Some people won't like it, but hey, this is how I feel about it so, I'm not apologizing. Also, I reserve the right to change my mind at anytime lol.

Spoiler:

I'm going to preface this with a few things. First of all, my ideal setlist for most concerts would be about 80% up-tempo happy songs, 15% ballads, and like 5% rock. I was already going into this with a certain mind frame.

Second, since 2009 I have been to 50+ Ayu concerts. I have become quite critical and no longer just accept things for how they are. I've spent thousands of dollars on her and I'm allowed to express any issues I may have. I love her, and despite any issues I may have I'm going to continue to support her. My critiques are meant to be constructive, and not just complaining for the sake of it.

So.

This tour isn't advertised as a "best of" or a "replica" of something, it's advertised as being a new tour, celebrating her 20th anniversary and bringing back a previously well presented concept.

Let's talk about that concept. PoM was created out of a tragedy. It was a completely new idea that she had previously never done. And the emotion was very real. I attended the first PoM and though I was initially very annoyed about the concept change (I -loved- Love songs and really wanted to see the original concept for it), PoM ended up being an amazing moment that I'm so thankful for having been able to experience it.

So when she announced this current tour, I was excited for it. Unfortunately it failed in every way possible to compare to it. And yes, comparisons are completely fair game, it literally shares the same title.

Choosing to open this with forgiveness was a terrible idea imo. the first PoM did this so amazingly, and this was like...so empty. All the ad-libbing at the end of the song was mimed to the backup singers voices. Her movements were weird, and it didn't capture the magic at all. The opening notes were a struggle, and it was just kind of awkward.

The awkwardness continued for a lot of songs. Tons of falling to the ground, grabbing her hair, crying, arm flailing, dress clutching, and "conductor" like movements. Things she's been doing a lot of for there past several tours. Sometimes effective, but can feel very repetitive.

The re-arrangements were interesting, but not enough to really excite me. The majority of the songs performed were already performed at the original concert. I truly don't understand why she would sing so many of them again?

ever free was a welcomed addition, but the re-arrangement was made into rock, and the sensitivity of the original song failed to come through imo. And, again, falling to the ground, crying, etc. But again, this is a personal taste sort of thing. Some people might love this new sound. But don't expect the original song.

In terms of costumes, aside from Brilliante, Bold & delicious~Next Level, and the encore, I believe every outfit was white. Nothing spectacular or memorable. The best one was right before the encore imo. Her hair accessory was kind of reminiscent of a long version of the hairpiece in the Dearest video.

Her dancers wore the same outfits at the beginning as they did at the end. The same outfits used for the recent CDTV performance I believe. Or at least very similar... The frog costume was repeated for one of the acrobats.

Timmy and Miccie actually upstaged her, imo. They sang with a lot more gusto and technical accuracy. Not really an issue, but i found it worth noting. (Timmy's section for Brillante was great. He actually scared some children and they started crying and the mom had to bring them out haha. He was like a Disney villain. This section, and ayu's performance of HBYA were probably my favorite.

But because the tour was so loaded with melodramatic sad and angry songs, I found myself weary. B&D finally woke me up, but by then the tour was essentially over.

The audience, myself included, was most excited during the encore. SURREAL got everyone moving, and it felt the most magical. It was the Ayu that I, at least, was waiting to see. Alas it lasted for like 3 songs.

Before SURREAL Ayu sang a very brief section of Girlish acapella, i don't think it was planned. It was right after the audience sang Who... to her, and after we took a picture with her and the cake and everyone.

I had arena seats, A7 area. Good seats, it was probably the closest I've been for her tours.

The stage itself was not very interesting. There was a large screen in the back, and then the two normal small screens on both upper areas. There were two big hearts with A marks where the dancers entered and exited. No props or background changes aside from the digital ones.

It could have been where I was sitting, but it was hard to hear her voice over the music for some of the songs. Might have been the acoustics though.

All in all, this tour, imo, is not DVD worthy. Nothing new, nothing spectacular, nothing celebratory at all. Today was her anniversary so there was a little summary of her career video that her team made, and then that was really it aside from us singing to her.

I'll actually be surprised if they release this as a standalone concert as it is now... I could see it being combined with a CD release, but as its own thing? I mean, again, this is a taste thing. Maybe some people will love it. And in fact I hope people do. I really don't think she intended for this to be such a dividing tour lol.

But imo, an anniversary tour could have been easy to put together. She could have just sung a bunch of fan favorites, and then added in some hidden gems. Sure people would have still complained, but it'd at least have made sense being her anniversary and all...But this was a hodgepodge of songs imo... individually i love them all, but it was just underwhelming.

BTW, a picture of her staff's tour shirts started floating around. After the current dates, April 6th and 7th 2019, Saitama Super Arena, are written.

So, not sure exactly what those dates mean yet. I'll try to find the pic and post it, unless someone else beats me to it.

Anyway. If you've made it this far, sorry if I offended anyone. And for jumping all over the place. I wrote this as it came to me haha.

She's certainly working hard, but I just don't think this tour was ready to be performed yet. I'm curious as to why she's been so determined to tour as much as she has been.

Spoiler:
April 6 and 7 next year is a weekend. A grand finale to her 20th anniversary or is she gonna peace out?
Old 8th April 2018, 04:32 PM
Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by tokyoxjapanxfan View Post

Spoiler:

So.

thanks for the review, it was certainly very interesting to read and well written, but those last dates on that t-shirt made me really scared of a possible retirement
Old 8th April 2018, 04:33 PM
my name's WOMEN Initiate

I just don't know why I don't learn for myself and just expect less. But i guess the whole thing is nice for those who attend - and in the end that is what counts, not how the DVD looks.
Old 8th April 2018, 04:39 PM
Love song H-Initiate

I hope it will not another one year long tour :/
Old 8th April 2018, 04:49 PM
And Then Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirrorcle Monster View Post
t those last dates on that t-shirt made me really scared of a possible retirement
Huuum if it will was a "bad"news I think they didn't put it like that in a shirt! I imagine a kind of "Final" to the celebration ! Well, I hope... it make me veeeery curious !

Thanks for your review tokyoxjapanxfan, I understand better your feeling and in the same time I'm more confident, because it's what I expected in some way!
I will go to the final at Osaka, if it stay like it it's good for me and if she does more songs...that's perfect too haha
(To be honest I still dream about a tour with only Ayu and band on stage, no staging and no special outfit )
Old 8th April 2018, 04:53 PM
Virgin Road Initiate

what with that shirt? so weird...

Ayumi Hamasaki...Queen of my life...

Closed Thread

Tags
20th anniversary, arena tour 2018, power of music