Namie Amuro American Debut!!!!!! - Page 3 - Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
· Ayu's Official Site · Ayu's twitter · Ayu's YouTube · masa's translations · Misa-chan's translations ·

Go Back   Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai > Music Forums > Asian Music Chat

Notices

Old 16th October 2004, 11:30 AM
WHATEVER Initiate

Since people brought up the thought of who would do better in the states if at all between Ayumi and Namie I felt like contributing.

As any American knows, youth culture as a whole is very very shallow, the media regurgitates the general bilge into baby pop culture's mouth and it squawks for more. Substance doesn't really matter altogether too much, it's style.

Ayumi is pop point blank, Namie has had a very obvious transition from pop to R&B/Hip-Hop (yes another form of popular music but there's a difference), what is the latest craze in suburbia? Driving down a street you'll probably pass by a car (raised truck if it's a guy, sportscar if it's a girl generally) that is playing (blasting) music (let's guess) loud enough for you to plainly hear it (their car and your windows are shaking from the bass). Musically, who do you think would be listened to more often at this point in time?

Appearance is 9/10ths of the law so they say and unfortunately they're correct most of the time. Select any random ol' photo off of www.japanesestreets.com and show it to the most whitebread person you know. They generally will not have a very positive comment on what they see. Ayumi reflects this, she has a very "Japanese" sense of style, very willing to try anything that tickles her fancy to express or present herself. Yes she wears designer labels and can dress in a more generally acceptable (to American tastes) manner but I'm certain everyone here has seen some of her general magazine-shoot fashion choices (remember the thread about her ring and earring with the well-recieved message on them?). Namie dresses very American, more specifically in accordance to hip-hop, she doesn't stray very far from the usually acceptable lines (again in an American view). She wears mini-skirts, black stilleto boots, tracksuit pants, she has tattoos, she wears one of those hats which I can never remember the name of and called it a beret once, generally very tame. This is just what they wear.

Ayumi is 100% japanese, no contest. She LOOKS japanese more importantly, you can't really mistake it. Namie is a japanese-italian and has the benefit of a more ambiguous genetic makeup and by generic, western youth standards I'm certain she's quite attractive, visible forehead and all. Ayumi has what I've heard one person affectionately dubbed a "witch nose." Considering how much plastic surgery is visible in western pop idols such a 'glaring fault' wouldn't be acceptable. Namie has been described as having a childish face, bad thing? Kate Moss and Christina Ricci have been identified as having the same thing and as your mileage may vary, there are a considerable amount of people who find both to be very attractive.

As far as language goes, both lack in their english, anyone fluent in english can tell that very plainly. As a general rule, I've noticed I can understand Namie more often than Ayumi, sometimes I won't even know she said something in english until I read the lyrics. Some people claim never having heard/seen Ayumi speak a considerable amount of english in one sitting probably didn't see the Ayuready performance of, "Change the World." I've never heard Namie speak the same amount of straight english that Ayumi tried there but also another thing noticeable, Namie will have full english phrases in her songs, Ayumi will usually stick to perhaps a few words, exceptions evident of course.

Was there any real point in this? Not really I just got very very bored.
Old 16th October 2004, 09:37 PM
SEASONS Initiate

man...i don't think she'd survive in america...too many people are narrowminded and dont want to "try" and understand her through her accent. :T

Hold on to this moment...the only thing you can be sure of.
Old 16th October 2004, 10:18 PM
NEVER EVER Initiate

She won't make it in America. Not to be pessimistic, but she won't. Utada and Coco Lee both had really good chances of doing it considering they were both born in America and lived here...but they both flopped.
Japanese music just isn't meant to cross over to American music.

European music, yes (Kylie Monogue and Spice Girls). Spanish music, yes (think J.Lo and Shakira). But not Japanese music.

xyzstyle.com : a fashion blog

Old 16th October 2004, 10:38 PM
End roll Initiate

Namie's songs "Looking for You" and "Girlfriend" are sung entirely in English. Well, actually "Girlfriend" has like, one or two short lines in Japanese...
I would have to say that her English on "Girlfriend" is near perfect. +It's a rad song!
Old 16th October 2004, 11:27 PM
Are You Wake Up? Initiate

Look If Namie would speak English Fluent she would make it big! Alot people I know like her songs ! The Insrumentals and her flow! When Im tell im its a Japanese Singer there shocked!

Msmiyabi formerly known as Akurei
MsMiyabi + Koda Kumi!
Proud Koda Kumi Fan Since 2000 & Namie Amuro Fan Since 1995<3
Old 17th October 2004, 12:26 PM
WHATEVER Initiate

Never said she'd make it, only said she would have a better chance than Ayumi.
Old 18th October 2004, 12:35 AM
poker face Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerrickRocks
omg FISH!!!!! i still have yet to hear it i am afraid to check it out but then again i heard it is really hard to include english in japanese songs the only person i know that could pull it off was Kuraki Mai,Utada,Melody and sometimes BoA.
Kuraki Mai? Are you joking? She is one of the worst Jpop singers for singing English.
Old 19th October 2004, 11:30 AM
End roll Initiate

good !
Old 20th October 2004, 03:17 AM
WE WISH Initiate

whee!!! i love namie! more and more as each day passes.