Problems playing DVDs - Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
· Ayu's Official Site · Ayu's twitter · Ayu's YouTube · masa's translations · Misa-chan's translations ·

Go Back   Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai > Ayumi Hamasaki Forums > Ayu Chat-Room

Notices

Old 28th August 2023, 11:17 PM
INSPIRE Initiate

Question Problems playing DVDs

I recently bought a bunch of ayu DVDs from Yahoo Auctions Japan, turns out I'm having problems with the encore segment, the player just won't read them, the screen turns black, I hear the disc spinning but then it just goes back to the menu. I tried a lot of things like pressing forward until the encore, but then it stopped. Also, I tried selecting the encore section on the menu but it won't play anyway.

This is happening with her older DVDs (DOME Tour 2001, ARENA Tour 2002, Stadium Tour 2002 and CDL 2002-2003..), which is strange because CDL 2001-2002 played correctly, Dome Tour wouldn't play for anything, but then I played CDL 01-02 again and put the Dome Tour again and all went well (???), except for encore.

I believe this is a problem with my player (which I region-unlocked - and may be pretty dusty in the inside since its more than 10 years from the last time it was used) or the discs being too old, did anyone have this problem too?

If you guys have any advice I'd be grateful, I'm seriously thinking about buying a japanese dvd player so maybe this won't happen anymore..

Last edited by brener; 4th September 2023 at 04:45 PM.
Old 1st September 2023, 04:06 PM
Depend on you Initiate

This happened to me with one of her older DVDs, CDL 2004-2005.
It worked when I tried again around 2 years later on a new computer.
So hopefully getting a new DVD player might help, or do you have a PC with a DVD player and VLC Player installed to try with?

People are not memories that you can put into words. They live holding onto their feelings.

Old 1st September 2023, 10:04 PM
too late Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by brener View Post
I recently bought a bunch of ayu DVDs from Yahoo Auctions Japan, turns out I'm having problems with the encore segment, the player just won't read them, the screen turns black, I hear the disc spinning but then it just goes back to the menu. I tried a lot of things like pressing forward until the encore, but then it stopped. Also, I tried selecting the encore section on the menu but it won't play anyway.

This is happening with her older DVDs (DOME Tour 2001, ARENA Tour 2002, Stadium Tour 2002 and CDL 2002-2003..), which is strange because CDL 2001-2002 played correctly, Dome Tour wouldn't play for anything, but then I played CDL 01-02 again and put the Dome Tour again and all went well (???), except for encore.

I believe this is a problem with my player (which I region-unlocked - and may be pretty dusty in the inside since its more than 10 years from the last it was used) or the discs being too old, did anyone have this problem too?

If you guys have any advice I'd be grateful, I'm seriously thinking about buying a japanese dvd player so maybe this won't happen anymore..
You should buy a national Blu-Ray player. It plays DVD and I think it doesn't have problems about region (and you could also play BD stuff).

slow down, you won't get there by hurrying
gonna find out if the hard work was worth it
i know it's somewhere in me
i'm just tryna find love

Old 10th September 2023, 02:44 PM
Two of us Initiate

Try a different player. If you *really* have no spare, bring the discs to a friend and try them there. If they play fine, then you know the discs are okay and you can rule that out. Even if they're dirt cheat nowadays, I wouldn't recommend a DVD player over a Blu-ray, since you're going to run across a Blu-ray disc sooner rather than later (even if you don't buy into the idea of owning another format).

I always rip my discs to a hard drive; the vast majority of my discs have been used exactly once - to rip them.

Tags
dvds, encore, help needed, play, problems