why did you close my thread :( - Page 2 - Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
· Ayu's Official Site · Ayu's twitter · Ayu's YouTube · masa's translations · Misa-chan's translations ·

Go Back   Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai > Board Forums > FAQ, Tech Support, and Guidelines

Notices

Old 2nd April 2010, 02:29 PM
Memorial address (take 2 version) Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarbasil View Post
I don't even know what everyone's arguing about. I feel like there are 3 different arguments going on and I don't understand a single one of them.

Please keep your personal issues with other members out of the threads. If you've got a problem with another member, take it to PMs. And just because the issue of the thread is resolved doesn't mean you can spam the thread, even if it's already in the trash.
I'm not trying to be a prick or anything but I'm just confused why since the "nature of the thread" really is directly against the rules, four mods saw and posted their sexual feelings towards Ayu and still it when on and on and then after it was deleted. It's like, of course it was going to get out of hand, just from the simple thread title.
de tu puņo y letra
Old 2nd April 2010, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystal_Ageha View Post
^ Interesting point..... I also think it's kinda unfair, like Ratzi pointed out, that the 'Gay Icon' thread, it has no concern. I think both should be allowed to stay, but - to me, at least - they're really very similar topics, both dealing directly with sexuality, so they should have similar decisions made for/against them.
I learned this the hard way, but the mods actually dedicate a lot of time and discussion as to these sorts of things. I thought mods just log on like the rest of us and enjoy the different threads and just delete unnecessary/inappropriate content but there's a lot more work to it so they might be discussing the Gay Icon thread ATM even. Although that thread started before the "Ayu sexual attraction" thread but whatever.

The only thing I was confused about was why they were contributing to it themselves. lol
de tu puņo y letra
Old 3rd April 2010, 12:52 AM
Rule Protector

The "Gay Icon" thread developed in a far more mature manner than the "are you sexually attracted to ayu" thread. Even though a discussion about her being a gay icon is related to sexuality, it isn't directly about being sexually attracted to something. That spawns explanations and jokes about how she should grow a penis, etc., in order to be attracted to her, which is inappropriate and directly against the rules.
Old 7th April 2010, 06:13 AM
Beautiful Day Initiate

Well, so shouldn't we be really serious on the rules? I don't know why that thread that you talked about above seems to be appropriate, while the thread opener of this thread here is complaining why his thread got shut down...
Old 7th April 2010, 07:07 AM
Startin' Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by ストロボ・EdGE View Post
I learned this the hard way, but the mods actually dedicate a lot of time and discussion as to these sorts of things. I thought mods just log on like the rest of us and enjoy the different threads and just delete unnecessary/inappropriate content but there's a lot more work to it so they might be discussing the Gay Icon thread ATM even. Although that thread started before the "Ayu sexual attraction" thread but whatever.

The only thing I was confused about was why they were contributing to it themselves. lol
Why shouldn't we, though? Just because it's on the chopping block doesn't mean we don't have opinions either...plus, sometimes we try to mediate discussion so we DON'T have to delete it. Doesn't always work. -_-
Old 7th April 2010, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico View Post
Why shouldn't we, though? Just because it's on the chopping block doesn't mean we don't have opinions either...plus, sometimes we try to mediate discussion so we DON'T have to delete it. Doesn't always work. -_-
Cause wasn't it straight out against the rules and something that would obviously get out of hand? I mean seriously, in other words, the thread was a "Would you **** Ayu?" discussion, literally. That's the only reason I was surprised that you guys actually posted in it.
de tu puņo y letra
Old 7th April 2010, 08:43 AM
Startin' Protector

I can't speak for the other mods, but I like posting in doomed threads anyway.
Old 8th April 2010, 09:16 AM
RED LINE ~for TA~ Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomzoom View Post
The "Gay Icon" thread developed in a far more mature manner than the "are you sexually attracted to ayu" thread. Even though a discussion about her being a gay icon is related to sexuality, it isn't directly about being sexually attracted to something. That spawns explanations and jokes about how she should grow a penis, etc., in order to be attracted to her, which is inappropriate and directly against the rules.
Seriously, and it's not like, you know, the thread was directly aimed at any discussion of the members' sexuality, which is where most (I would probably bet on all actually) of the problems with that category have stemmed from.

Why can't you guys just be cool?

imo it shouldn't be completely black and white, because when there is no leeway at all, things become rigid. I think it's best to just try to use your best sense when going about things. If you think that it will be deleted, or considered for deletion right off the bat...then maybe think a little more about how you will form your thread, and perhaps make it a little different, ex. more subtle, or don't do it at all.

So, say, instead of blatantly saying "Are you sexually attracted to Ayu", maybe you could say, "Would you date Ayu?" or "Would you consider Ayu as a potential partner?" As those would imply that a person would probably have to be sexually attracted to her to answer "Yes". Those threads would also probably have a lot of posts talking about how sexy Ayu is, and probably some slightly inappropriate ones...but even though those things may fall into the "inappropriate" category or be similar to other things...they aren't so in your face as to end up being spammy, or obviously against the rules.

The mods have a pretty good system going, and they've always discussed things. They're smarter than people might think, and they do, at least I believe, understand that being complete nazis about everything, and saying "OH THAT is kinda similar to THIS, and THIS is against the rules, so we must INSTA-DELETE" isnt always the best way to go about things, especially when dealing with other people.

Of course similar considerations come up between things that are similar, but say, that one borderline thread that has an infraction worthy post every 5 posts, compared to a similar borderline thread where everyone is being mature and the discussion is enriching...I mean...imo, the enriching thread shouldn't be trashed, because when nice things get trashed, we all just lose out.

...and I really think the tone that is set by the thread starter in the first post has A LOT to do with how people go about posting in your thread.

So...basically...if you want to have a thread that might be slightly in the grey area of bending the rules:
1. Be smart about it.
2. Set a more formal tone for the thread.
3. Don't be so blatant and crude.
4. Make sure people don't have the chance to just say something simple like "YES I WOULD **** AYU."
5. Don't be stupid in your own thread.
6. Perhaps report posts you know will get people riled up before other people have a chance to get mad.
7. If the thread is getting out of hand or spammy, try to mediate it yourself if you don't want it trashed so badly...if it's impossible...and the members are being impossible, then oh well, at least you tried.

DISCLAIMER: I am not supporting breaking the rules in any way. I only support the idea that sometimes, in some cases, threads that are a little more controversial can bring about some of the best discussion.

☆ bunnnniiiieeeesssss ☆

- The "New Artists You're Trying Out" Thread -

don't forget to spread the kuu

Last edited by emi♡; 8th April 2010 at 09:24 AM.
Old 8th April 2010, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emiko View Post
DISCLAIMER: I am not supporting breaking the rules in any way. I only support the idea that sometimes, in some cases, threads that are a little more controversial can bring about some of the best discussion.
I liked your post and wish everyone would create threads with that mentality.

What sort of threads have been produced from controversial topics that had great discussions? I'd like to go through them even if they're old. I haven't really been here that long comparatively.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico View Post
I can't speak for the other mods, but I like posting in doomed threads anyway.
xD lol
de tu puņo y letra