the ONE and only Ami Suzuki Official thread -vol 8- - Page 4 - Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
· Ayu's Official Site · Ayu's twitter · Ayu's YouTube · masa's translations · Misa-chan's translations ·

Go Back   Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai > Music Forums > Asian Music Chat > Artists & Bands

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 12th June 2008, 07:17 PM
forgiveness Initiate

Wait, so the Nakata album is confirmed?! OH MY GOD. <3333333333333333

In my dreams, it would have the same success as Perfume's album, but I think I might be dreaming a little too much. xD I still hope it's a great album. If Ami can just meet the sales of her last 2 album (or even sell a little more) I think that will be great.
Old 12th June 2008, 07:20 PM
ayu-ro mix 2 Initiate

I like how you're telling him not to use "ONTD talk" yet you use words like weeaboo <_<"

Also how does one person living in Japan account for the whole country? Sorry but that is a really bad excuse for a source. Today I was actually talking with a group of friends and none of them could name a song by Janet Jackson, don't try and tell me that Janet isn't one of the biggest female icons in North American music. Just because the 30 people that your Japanese friend was referring to (I'm being generous here...) can't remember who Ami was does not prove anything.

Sure she was just another idol but when CDTV, Music Station , Hey x3 etc. do those random song lists I usually see Ami's old songs. It's not like she was completely erased from the planet, her old singles were popular and most people will remember them like anyother singer/band from your child hood.
Old 12th June 2008, 07:22 PM
Because of You Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by s1012h View Post
Stop arguing about it haha, just appreciate the fact she and Nakata are working together!
Lol!, yep some good points have been made.

And I just remember why I came to the thread, is to show you this PV:
Plastic Love - Crazy

Pick your favorite! , I found a cpture of the PV while looking for a single of another artist, crazy aight?.

EDIT: oh I just found out the single was released the 28th in march.
"Being part of a group like this, with you guys! is awesome! so I salute you all." (1st July 2010, 11:17 PM)
"Adiós." (8th May 2011, 02:13 PM)

Last edited by minkAYuko; 12th June 2008 at 10:15 PM.
Old 12th June 2008, 07:36 PM
P.S II Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by s1012h View Post
Stop arguing about it haha, just appreciate the fact she and Nakata are working together!
I thorougly enjoyed her single FREE FREE / SUPER MUSIC MAKER. I listen to FREE FREE at work whenever I'm groggy or tired.

Old 12th June 2008, 07:43 PM
forgiveness Initiate

It really sets you FREE from stress xD
Old 12th June 2008, 08:44 PM
dddaiyamondo

Quote:
Originally Posted by haikudasai View Post
First, I didn't know I was being tested. So no 'fail'. There's a reason why ONTD talk should stay on that site. Just makes you seem pretentious.

Second, I spoke with someone who is Japanese from Japan living in Japan. Not some weeaboo that think he knows it all.

Regardless, Pop Idols can sell a ton but when they leave the industry for a while not many people just stick around waiting for them. She was replaced because she wasn't the artist that has lasting power (like those who write or those who have an Indy/unique feel that effect the music industry).

I have no time to argue with a little kid so don't expect me to respond to whatever sass talk you think you'll bring. I was the king of sass here once and you are far from owning that crown.
This whole post is just lulz, and proves you know nothing about Ami's career.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ♥ you! View Post
I like how you're telling him not to use "ONTD talk" yet you use words like weeaboo <_<"

Also how does one person living in Japan account for the whole country? Sorry but that is a really bad excuse for a source. Today I was actually talking with a group of friends and none of them could name a song by Janet Jackson, don't try and tell me that Janet isn't one of the biggest female icons in North American music. Just because the 30 people that your Japanese friend was referring to (I'm being generous here...) can't remember who Ami was does not prove anything.

Sure she was just another idol but when CDTV, Music Station , Hey x3 etc. do those random song lists I usually see Ami's old songs. It's not like she was completely erased from the planet, her old singles were popular and most people will remember them like anyother singer/band from your child hood.
Thank you, I agree with everything you're saying. It might be hard for people who haven't been into J-Pop for very long (anyone who got into it after 2001), but there are artists who were so big in the 90s that they are still incredibly well-known, despite the fact that they are not as popular now or have retired.
Old 12th June 2008, 09:31 PM
kanariya Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by dddaiyamondo View Post
Thank you, I agree with everything you're saying. It might be hard for people who haven't been into J-Pop for very long (anyone who got into it after 2001), but there are artists who were so big in the 90s that they are still incredibly well-known, despite the fact that they are not as popular now or have retired.
while Ami is famous in her on way, I don't think she is one of these still-famous 90's artists ...

the height of her idol career was not that long, just two years actually (99-00). the singles released before '99 were not that huge hits compared to songs by other artists.
Old 12th June 2008, 09:37 PM
P.S II Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halla View Post
while Ami is famous in her on way, I don't think she is one of these still-famous 90's artists ...

the height of her idol career was not that long, just two years actually (99-00). the singles released before '99 were not that huge hits compared to songs by other artists.
I agree.

Let's bring up an artist from the 90s here in the states. Sophie B. Hawkins; she had fame for several songs but she's extremely hard to remember and most people can't put a name to her.

She had hit songs like "Damn, I Wish I Was Your Lover" "As I Lay Me Down" She had critics loving her and then poof gone.

There is Jessica Simpson who came during the Blonde Pop girl phase. Look at her now. If it wasn't for her reality show she would have disappeared as well.

For the record I've been into Jpop since 2000.

Old 12th June 2008, 09:37 PM
dddaiyamondo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halla View Post

Well, "Love The Island" was released before '99 and you can't say it's not one of the most well-known late 90s songs in Japan. And yes, Ami is still very universally-known in Japan, as are a lot of 90s artists who aren't active anymore
Old 12th June 2008, 09:42 PM
P.S II Initiate

Quote:
Well, "Love The Island" was released before '99 and you can't say it's not one of the most well-known late 90s songs in Japan. And yes, Ami is still very universally-known in Japan, as are a lot of 90s artists who aren't active anymore
Not that I'm particularly fond of conversing with someone who feels the need to negate anyone else's opinion but: What are you basing these facts on?

Old 12th June 2008, 09:53 PM
dddaiyamondo

Quote:
Originally Posted by haikudasai View Post
Not that I'm particularly fond of conversing with someone who feels the need to negate anyone else's opinion but: What are you basing these facts on?
I've been a fan of J-Pop since the year 2000, I live in the city with the highest Japanese population in the country and I worked part-time at a karaoke place, where Suzuki Ami, among other 90s hits, were some of the most popular choices.
Old 12th June 2008, 09:54 PM
kanariya Protector

Quote:
I just feel that the numbers & sales statistics speak for themselves. "Love The Island" was a moderate hit with just ok sales for succesful single by '98-99 standards. we all know her current recent chart successes , or lack of actually.

some super popular artists from 90s are still famous but can't sell music anymore. but those who still have fame are actually still appearing on tv. the girls from MAX still do stuff, one of them was in the japanese version of "Dancing With The Stars".

and those 90s artist still with a celeb status do tours. Seiko does her own CDL every year. MAX had a some sort of tour relatively recently.

I don't mean to put Ami down, but realistically speaking her 90s fame is pretty much gone. she can't use the same name she used in the 90s (the writing is different) & she does not have any rights on her 90s songs ...
Old 12th June 2008, 09:58 PM
dddaiyamondo

I don't know why people are taking this off in weird tangents, but all I originally said is that you'd be hard-pressed to find someone who doesn't know Suzuki Ami. The strange comparisons being made just show that some people don't have a clue about Ami, her career, or the impact she had on Japan
Old 12th June 2008, 10:04 PM
P.S II Initiate

Quote:
I've been a fan of J-Pop since the year 2000, I live in the city with the highest Japanese population in the country and I worked part-time at a karaoke place, where Suzuki Ami, among other 90s hits, were some of the most popular choices.
I'm sorry to inform you but that is not proof. That's a localized hypothesis created by collecting data at an american karaoke bar; granted the Japanese population is taken into account but take into consideration that they aren't in Japan (to which you're using for your arguement).

Proof would be based on sales, radio play, touring, promotional endorsement, fan base rating.

She is significantly lacking such things. Her height to fame was considered modest. If negative things didn't occur I'm sure she may have had a better experience and could be doing differently today, but that's a what if scenario.

Now, I respect your opinion but I don't respect your forceful tactics.
______

To get back to what this post is about...

I hope for songs that follow the strength that FREE FREE had. I believe that is one of her best songs since coming back to the music scene.

Old 12th June 2008, 10:06 PM
KaoriNeko

ANYWAYS - how do y'all think ONE will sell?

Last edited by Halla; 12th June 2008 at 10:18 PM.
Old 12th June 2008, 10:08 PM
dddaiyamondo

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaoriNeko View Post

ANYWAYS - how do y'all think ONE will sell?
I'm praying to the J-Pop gods it does 15k in the end. Or 20k

Old 12th June 2008, 10:15 PM
kanariya Protector

I don't think being realistic about her celeb status is about trashing Ami. most likely if she were more famous she'd have less room to expiriment, and we'd never gotten these great "joins" projects and other stuff

I'm hoping for 10k+ sales, but I'm just worried because there are no lives or other promotion.
Old 12th June 2008, 10:16 PM
P.S II Initiate

Quote:
---
I'm terribly sorry that you feel that way; as far from the truth as it may be.

I'm an Ami Suzuki fan and was there to buy the first single from her long break.

Trust, there's no reason to stalk you. We were merely having a debate. I hope we can move past this misunderstanding and continue to stay on topic, Ami Suzuki.

HALLA - Do you happen to have any direct links to ONE for me to listen to? Sadly I'm unable to access most media sites right now...

Old 12th June 2008, 10:29 PM
kanariya Protector

haikudasai, sorry but I only have the PV. I'm waiting for the single

and let's not derail the thread with completely unnecessary drama which has been dealt with some time ago already ...
Old 12th June 2008, 10:31 PM
dddaiyamondo

I have the mp3 uploaded on Sendspace. If anyone needs it, just PM me
Closed Thread