Very interesting article on JPOP - Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
· Ayu's Official Site · Ayu's twitter · Ayu's YouTube · masa's translations · Misa-chan's translations ·

Go Back   Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai > Music Forums > Asian Music Chat

Notices

Old 23rd October 2004, 08:26 AM
The Judgement Day Guardian

Very interesting article on JPOP

I accidentaly ran into this article about JPOP and it is almost complete and pretty good and well compiled in my opinion, it has a lot of interesting info, talks briefly about lots of different artists and styles and how to obtain Japanese Music. CHECK IT OUT! The whole thing:

http://www.gamingforce.com/forums/pr...ad.php?t=42491

Here are a few quotes from this huge article:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmagnusPrime
Where to start?
As mentioned above, the music itself often pulls in from many areas, and even cultures, to offer a sometimes surprising range of music and choice to anyone willing to listen. Like anything, some artists and bands are better known than others and for westerners you are likely to have only heard of a few of the most well-known. That shouldn't put you off taking a chance on those you've not heard of though as there's some fantastic talent to be discovered if you stray a little from the beaten path. However, before you start exploring the multitude of artists available you need somewhere to start. This though will depend on you current experience of J-Pop:

The Complete Newbie
For those who have heard little or no J-Pop before, starting off can be quite intimidating and it can be all too easy to just stick with the well-known artists, especially since these are most often the easiest to get hold of. While I'd encourage anyone to explore further, they do make for a good starting point. So who are these well-known artists? You are likely to have heard the names of the big three, Ayumi Hamasaki, BoA and Utada Hikaru, however there's one other group to consider: Morning Musume. This hyper-active all-girl group are hugely popular in Japan and also make for a good introduction to the scene. If you don't like these, there's plenty of other artists to listen to, but these artists are generally a good introduction to the genre.
Recommended Artists: Ayumi Hamasaki, BoA, Morning Musume and Utada Hikaru

The Beginner
This is someone who has heard a few artists, most likely the big three, but are still new to the genre and looking to discover what else is out there. The next step is to explore some of the more general artists that are more popular in Japan, if not elsewhere.
Recommended Artists: Aya Matsuura, Do As Infinity, dream, Every Little Thing, hitomi, Koda Kumi and The Brilliant Green

Other Beginners
Perhaps you've sampled a little of the more popular Japanese artists as well as some of the wider known artists and still looking for something to grab your interest. For you it may be worth sampling some of the lesser-known gems that can be found in the J-Pop vault.
Recommended Artists: Garnet Crow, m-flo, Maaya Sakamoto, melody, Namie Amuro and Shiina Ringo

Remember, these are just general recommendations to get an idea of the genre for anyone looking to get a feel for what J-Pop has to offer. These simple recommendations aren't a reflection of how good or popular these artists are, and they aren't a definitive collection, but they will give you a good place to start. Be sure to check out the next section and see if there are any artists that sound like your cup of tea, or to find out if these ones sound like your sort of thing.

What artists are out there?
There are obviously a huge number of artists in total from across the years and it's not possible to cover all of them, at least in any great detail. What we present here is a breakdown of the genres you'll find in J-Pop and the artists you find in them. For the most part, and where possible, a description of the artist will be given giving you some idea of their history, current status, style and sound. The genres they are organised into are: Alt Rock, Anime/TV, Bubblegum Pop, Traditional Japanese, Mainstream Pop and R&B/Hip-Hop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmagnusPrime
> Ayumi Hamasaki:
Ayumi Hamasaki continues to be one of the biggest earners in Japanese entertainment, despite being discovered by chance (at a karaoke night). Love ~Destiny~ was the first of many hits and saw her reach #1 in April 1999. Since then nearly every single has landed in the top three helping to set her status as a successful singer-songwriter in stone. Ayu has a large collection of albums available, including some remix albums that provide a slightly more dance experience for those so inclined (Ayu has a wide series of remix albums: eurobeat, trance, acoustic orchestra and just plain remixes). Her nasally and slightly odd-sounding voice is not to everyone's liking, but you need to experience Ayu for yourself to decide. Her large fanbase and regularly strong sales would suggest that she's something worth listening to. [www.avexnet.or.jp/ayu]

♬♪aijou de nuritsubushite
owaranai Spiral nukedasenai
mazari au mayoi sae irodukete so high
kaeshitakunai
Rise in a spiral yeah
I go insane
Dive to your paradise
(Treat me like a fool)♬♪

Last edited by ImpactBreaker; 25th October 2004 at 06:47 AM.
Old 23rd October 2004, 02:22 PM
CAROLS Initiate

Thanks for that. Was a good read ^_^

livejournal / last.fm / tumblr / goodreads

Old 23rd October 2004, 02:34 PM
BEST Initiate

wow, i love this article, its very good

[xanga]

Old 23rd October 2004, 04:27 PM
As if.. Initiate

that was a good article
Old 23rd October 2004, 04:43 PM
UNITE! Initiate

Good article!

Upcoming Hello! Project CD releases
11/23 Berryz Koubou - Gag 100kai bun Aishite Kudasai
12/21 Pucchi Best 6
1/25 Maki Goto - [14th Single]

k so i don't post that much anymore. if anything in my sig is off title-wise/date-wise, i apologize. i'm not on here all that often anymore.

Thanks to thejadedangel for my lovely set! <33
Old 23rd October 2004, 08:01 PM
STEP you Protector

Thanks for the link, this article is great!
Old 25th October 2004, 06:35 AM
Introduction Initiate

Thanks, this guy knows his stuff.
Old 25th October 2004, 01:47 PM
ayu-ro mix 2 Initiate

Took me forty minutes to read through that but it was worth it! It's interesting to note though that the most popular acts in Japan don't get a single mention on that list. It just made me realize how different native Japanese tastes are from us foreigner tastes. But yeh, all's good.
Old 25th October 2004, 06:33 PM
Dolls Initiate

Wow thanks for posting this, learnt a bit more about some singer who i've just heard off .
Old 26th October 2004, 04:21 AM
ayu-mi-x II Initiate

Thanks. Very nice article indeed. =)

Something is not right here...