[Koda Kumi] The 204th Thread - 20th Anniversary Tour 2020 MY NAME IS - Page 10 - Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
· Ayu's Official Site · Ayu's twitter · Ayu's YouTube · masa's translations · Misa-chan's translations ·

Go Back   Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai > Music Forums > Asian Music Chat > Artists & Bands

Notices

Old 2nd October 2020, 06:05 PM
INSPIRE Initiate

^ An underrated track and same applies to It's too late, one of my fav b-sides of hers ever!

instagram | last.fm | tumblr | jpop tumblr | twitter | peeproom | goodreads

Old 2nd October 2020, 06:10 PM
Initiate

Her infamous "fat" PV that was almost an animation. I'll never understand that.

A whole scene of the video wasn't used with her sitting down with the Dior yellow tank top. Basically all scenes with that outfit were cut, only few seconds with the image so squished that it hurts.

I loooove the cover and the song, one of my favorites from that time.
Old 2nd October 2020, 06:18 PM
LIKE A CRYSTAL H-Initiate

^ What , are you serious ?!

The amount of fat shaming Kuu had to endure years ago , it was and is still not acceptable

I'm really glad she stuck it out cos showbiz can be very unforgiving & for women they have to work twice if not even more harder than men +_+

@ Gustavopc COLOUR OF SOUL is indeed great & extremely under rated afer all these years without a doubt

Dedicated BRZ fan since 2008 debut single ♪ | team brz member ♥ | BREAKERZ BIRTHDAY PARTY 2024 ♥

My JPop Blog | My Twitter | BRZ Thread 47 | BRZ LiveJournal | BRZ Official Site

Old 2nd October 2020, 07:47 PM
Crazy 4 U H-Initiate

Also one of my favourites!

Regarding her vocals...
Yeah, all voices change over the course of a lifetime, some more, some less. And it also depends on the day, the overall lifestyle and outside conditions.
Kuu's voice already changed once between her debut and her peak, loosing the rawness.
Apart from that her workload did have the effect that her voice gets tired more easily at the moment, but I hope that will get better again with time.
So some performances are great, some not so much right now.
As I already mentioned her stage fright seems to have gotten bigger in recent years as well.
The thing she said after the XXKK performance when they cut out? She said: "I was so nervous" again.
Guess all the negative stuff within her career didn't leave without a trace.
I'm just happy that I still like how she sounds after 20 years.

「変わらないなら 変えるしかない」

Old 2nd October 2020, 08:49 PM
Memorial address (take 2 version) Initiate

omg baby Kuu in that yellow Dior top
Old 2nd October 2020, 09:28 PM
Initiate

^ I know, right? ♥

@KarenPang Yeah, she said in her Koda Reki book and some interviews, as well in that Kinsma 3 parts episode with the TV adaptation of the beginning of her career. During the run of her first singles she put on 8kg (from the 45kg she had during her debut time) so by the time she was doing COLOR OF SOUL her team threatened her that, if she didn't start losing weight, the PV would to be an anime.

I wouldn't be surprise that she developed an eating disorder before/around feel my mind' era, because she was very skinny on Crazy 4 U, and feel... DVD.

Last edited by kaled kalil; 2nd October 2020 at 10:08 PM.
Old 2nd October 2020, 11:21 PM
Memorial address (take 2 version) Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaled kalil View Post
^ I know, right? ♥

@KarenPang Yeah, she said in her Koda Reki book and some interviews, as well in that Kinsma 3 parts episode with the TV adaptation of the beginning of her career. During the run of her first singles she put on 8kg (from the 45kg she had during her debut time) so by the time she was doing COLOR OF SOUL her team threatened her that, if she didn't start losing weight, the PV would to be an anime.

I wouldn't be surprise that she developed an eating disorder before/around feel my mind' era, because she was very skinny on Crazy 4 U, and feel... DVD.

Holy SHIT. I have never seen this and I am so disturbed.
Old 3rd October 2020, 07:10 AM

^^ Wow ok , that's just awful

I will not be surprised as being called fat when you already weigh so little is very damaging :x

Japan's society is still very sexist to some extent & the amount of scrutiny female celebrities have to go through from being judged about their looks to how they look can be very unforgiving

I'm just glad that Kuu stuck it out & stand up for what she believes in

Dedicated BRZ fan since 2008 debut single ♪ | team brz member ♥ | BREAKERZ BIRTHDAY PARTY 2024 ♥

Old 3rd October 2020, 02:15 PM
Far away Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvina View Post
As I already mentioned her stage fright seems to have gotten bigger in recent years as well.
The thing she said after the XXKK performance when they cut out? She said: "I was so nervous" again.
Guess all the negative stuff within her career didn't leave without a trace.
I was literally thinking the other day that her recent performances on TV in the past year (and even the Black Cherry tour a little) or so she seems to be much more shy on stage. Not dancing as much, dressing more safe etc. It could be that's she's older now and feels subconscious about her image, which might be why she was nervous performing XXKK and perhaps is what inspired the MY NAME IS... slogan, or maybe worried about her voice. I don't blame her, she could be going through things mental health wise in relation to it all, I just hope she takes care of herself and can begin to feel a bit more confident soon. The fact that she is still going out there, giving her best to be true to herself despite her worries just makes me admire her even more.

I wonder if she maybe damaged her voice at some point? Ayu is over 40 now but she still sounds great, so I'm not sure if age is the only factor. It could be many things like Corvina said.

Last edited by Ayu_Love; 3rd October 2020 at 02:34 PM.
Old 3rd October 2020, 03:29 PM
Replace Initiate

I think Koda has kind of lost her direction, her best work up-do-date for me would be JAPONESQUE. it was cohesive, well done, full of different genres. I think this formula would still work for her, no matter the age, it just suits her well.

lately there's no good music and no budget, and looks-wise I don't think I understand her fashion sense either.
Old 3rd October 2020, 05:41 PM
Initiate

@KarenPang It's a weird situation there because in Japan judging people's weight was considered "normal" 20 years ago, and people still do nowadays. This whole thing is treated more of an overcome situation of how she went from "overweight to skinny", but to be honest it was more like her own team fat shaming her to lose weight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayu_Love
Ayu is over 40 now but she still sounds great
Ayu has some good days of singing, but that's not always the case and we all know that. She is in such a better place vocal wise now, but let's not act like she's singing great for the past 10 years. Obviously Ayu has her deafness that affects her, so a lot goes into that.

@ayu_ready? That's up to personal taste, as you said that to you it is best work to date, it's not for everybody. W FACE, DNA and reCORD were solid records for me, so far AND was the only misstep.

Also, let's not act crazy like she lost her voice or something like this, she just did a very good performance of Story on FNS a couple of months ago.... And the Butterfly performance on MNIT was totally fine.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/14NX...ew?usp=sharing

And yes, lately she seems to be very nervous on TV, more often she's even saying that on stage.

Last edited by kaled kalil; 3rd October 2020 at 07:29 PM.
Old 3rd October 2020, 06:57 PM
my name's WOMEN Initiate

Yeah, I think she sounds fine compared to her peers (especially the mentioned one). She is among the top-vocalists for me. I love listening to her, I jsut can't stand Japanese TV-sound engineering anymore.
Old 3rd October 2020, 08:56 PM
Far away Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaled kalil View Post
Ayu has some good days of singing, but that's not always the case and we all know that. She is in such a better place vocal wise now, but let's not act like she's singing great for the past 10 years. Obviously Ayu has her deafness that affects her, so a lot goes into that.
Yeah for sure. My point was more that there are singers like Ayu who currently sound very good vocally despite being over 40, so age might not be the main or only issue (and not that she is a better vocalist than Kuu).

I do feel that she seems to experimenting with more higher notes recently like someone else said, so it could just be that, or it could be nerves, or bad microphones. Anything, really. I still enjoy listening to her regardless.

She did sound great in XXKK and when she did that duet with Ai not too long ago, so.

EDIT: Also thanks for sharing the video, she sounds great! Was that recorded from the Mu-mo live I take it?

Last edited by Ayu_Love; 3rd October 2020 at 09:24 PM.
Old 4th October 2020, 06:17 AM
Because of You Initiate

fat shaming is one of the sickest Asian culture. When you are have a bit fat on your face, then people would say "you are fat".

Put my mouth on the lyrics like CPR

Old 5th October 2020, 04:33 PM
Far away Initiate

Someone uploaded this clip a couple of days ago on Youtube, of some BTS from 2002-2003 of Kuu, perhaps from CDs and TV footage? I've never seen this so it was nice to see!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCa3...=RareJ-PopZone

She's always looked so pretty!
Old 5th October 2020, 04:38 PM
INSPIRE Initiate

^ That's so cool, thanks for sharing it here!

Does someone know if there were any changes in the setlist for the tour this weekend? Especially curious about the ballad section.

Old 5th October 2020, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustavopc View Post
Does someone know if there were any changes in the setlist for the tour this weekend? Especially curious about the ballad section.
Yesterday's 1st session at Fukuoka Marine Messe

Spoiler:
00. TAKE BACK

01. XXKK
02. POP DIVA
03. UNIVERSE
04. Ultraviolet
05. TABOO
06. SWEETEST TABOO
07. LOADED

- INTERLUDE MOVIE -

08. puff
09. Crazy 4 U
10. BUT
11. Lollipop

- MC -

12. GOT ME GOING'
13. Bassline
14. WHO
15. Dance In The Rain
16. Moon crying
17. hands
18. 1000の言葉
19. WALK OF MY LIFE

- Dance Part -

20. PARTY
21. IS THIS TRAP?
22. WON'T BE LONG
23. real Emotion
24. Eh Yo
25. Dreaming Now!
26. LIT
27. Lucky Star
28. girls - Butterfly
29. WIND

- MC -

30. walk

https://tieba.baidu.com/p/6996987624

Don't know about the 2nd session yesterday

Old 5th October 2020, 04:50 PM
Far away Initiate

^
^ You're welcome!

I think I'm in the minority but I love 'WHO', so I'm glad she's performing that song.

Is Mu-mo live-streaming this weekend's tour dates as well? I keep missing the tour dates due to my own schedule/time difference, but I'd really like to catch it live if I can. Or if they are streaming December 5th I may wait to watch that one, as I feel that may be a special one since I think that was when TAKE BACK was released?
Old 5th October 2020, 04:57 PM
Initiate

@Ayu_Love That video is from her first DVD, 7 spirits. And yes, there will be two concerts for this weekend on 10/10, one 13pm and other 19pm both Japan local time.

The only difference in the setlist was:

18. 1000の言葉
19. WALK OF MY LIFE

For the first performance of 09/12 the setlist was:

18. Through the Sky
19. BRIDGET SONG

and the second

18. CHANCES ALL
19. WALK OF MY LIFE
Old 5th October 2020, 05:02 PM
INSPIRE Initiate

Thanks Kaled and Karen!

I hope 1000 no kotoba ends up in the DVD even if in a bonus disc. At least would be a way to make up for it not being on Spotify lol

Tags
20th anniversary, koda kumi, queen of live