oricon: (miss) understood 4th week sales. - Page 2 - Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
· Ayu's Official Site · Ayu's twitter · Ayu's YouTube · masa's translations · Misa-chan's translations ·

Go Back   Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai > Ayumi Hamasaki Forums > Ayu Music News

Notices

Old 25th January 2006, 01:42 AM
Trauma Initiate

ouch!!! this is bad.. oh well what can we do..

i personaly love this album, its so much better then MY story, lots of variaty.
i dunno what happening right know, maybe people tired of AYU they need someone fresh, or maybe the cover of the album, or maybe the lack of promotion..
Old 25th January 2006, 01:47 AM
ayu-mi-x Initiate

i really do hope that it breaks the 1 million mark...
Old 25th January 2006, 02:00 AM
monochrome Initiate

I love this album, too. It deserves a million sales, but the only non-single tracks I really like are "Ladies Night" and "Criminal." For those who bought all the singles, it may not be worth $30 for only a few new songs.

Ayu needs to keep the b-sides off her albums. That will make people buy her singles more, and also leave more room for new songs on the album.
Old 25th January 2006, 02:40 AM
forgiveness Initiate

I would be sad if Ayu kept the b-sides off her albums seeing as I find them to be better than the a-sides!!! Also, Ayu will probably hit the 1,000,000 mark in late spring or so.
Old 25th January 2006, 02:46 AM
talkin' 2 myself Initiate

I really wish Ayu would stop making double a-sides singles. More new songs for the album... Oh well.I know she can hit a million. But this time, it's just gonna take a whole lot and long time before she does...

Girls' Generation is .

Old 25th January 2006, 02:51 AM
ANGEL'S SONG H-Initiate

People; those songs were NOT b-sides. lol I wonder if people are misunderstanding what B-sides are exactly :\
Old 25th January 2006, 05:05 AM
WE WISH Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by truehappiness
People; those songs were NOT b-sides. lol I wonder if people are misunderstanding what B-sides are exactly :\
Me included. I still don't really know the difference between a-sides and b-sides. Although I know most of her singles for this album were double a-sides, but why? How do you tell?
Old 25th January 2006, 05:18 AM
monochrome Initiate

Quote:
You know what I mean, though. She should have some songs be exclusive to the single so that people buy the singles, and also leave more room for new songs on the album. B-sides..track #2 whatever lol.. Just because the name of the second track is on the CD cover doesn't make that much of a difference to me.
Old 25th January 2006, 05:59 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hallelujah_united
Me included. I still don't really know the difference between a-sides and b-sides. Although I know most of her singles for this album were double a-sides, but why? How do you tell?
Examples of B-sides:
Ever free [vogue single] - track 10, no instrumental, no pv, no promotion
Theme of a-nation'03 [& single] - track 4, no instrmental, no pv, no promotion
Two of us [Depend on you single] -track 2, no instrumental, no pv, no promotion

^ all these songs were not included in any albums

Examples of 2nd A-sides:
Game [Inspire single] - track 2, instrumental, pv, promotion
alterna [fairyland single] - track 2, instrumental, pv
is this LOVE? [STEP you / is this LOVE?] - track 2, instrumental, pv, in the title of the single

^ all these songs were included in albums

now.....do you see a pattern? If so, then you know the difference.
Old 25th January 2006, 06:19 AM
ANGEL'S SONG H-Initiate

Will was sort of left out of the PV-mix, but it was probably Ayu's decision to leave it un-PV'd.
Old 25th January 2006, 06:37 AM
Banned

Quote:
Will was sort of left out of the PV-mix, but it was probably Ayu's decision to leave it un-PV'd.
yeah. besides; it had an instrumental and the single was often refered to as a c/w-single.
Old 25th January 2006, 06:44 AM
WE WISH Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rody!
Examples of B-sides:

Examples of 2nd A-sides:
is this LOVE? [STEP you / is this LOVE?] - track 2, instrumental, pv, in the title of the single

Ooh. I think I get it now. Thanks a million.
Old 25th January 2006, 06:46 AM
Born To Be... Initiate

Location: Australia-Brisbane, where kangaroos jump around my backyard
wow the sales dropped so much , i relli like this album, if her other albums reached over a million than this one surely deserves it too~~

sometimes the covers effects the sales
Old 25th January 2006, 07:13 AM
theme of a-nation '03 Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rody!
Examples of B-sides:

Examples of 2nd A-sides:

No no no. For most of the time, c/w songs are B-SIDES. alterna is definitely a B-side for sure. If alterna is an A-side, then the title should be fairyland/alterna. instead of just fairyland. is this LOVE?, on the other hand, is definitely an A-side. If you say all the c/w are A-sides it will definitey kill the purposes of writing the titles STEP you/is this LOVE?, Bold & Delicious/Pride, Startin'/Born To Be, etc. Why bothering writing Pride out when it's an A-side??

The only time I've seen ayu promoting a B-side on music show is GAME, which is quite weird because it seems to me that she sang GAME more than INSPIRE somehow. Have you ever seen ayu singing Will or alterna on musicstation, music fighter, etc? You can't say they're second A-sides because they are included on the albums. Some artists put B-sides into albums as well. for example, hikki has all her B-sides in her albums. You can't say B&C is an A-side because it's on Movin' on without you single and later on First Love album rite?? You see the pattern tho, that ayu didn't start putting her B-sides into the albums until MY STORY era... I dunno why she does that... probly she thinks her B-sides deserve for a place in the album..

Btw... ever free do have pv... it's a practically no-ayu inside pv (except probly the last 10 seconds... ayu's there.. )
Old 25th January 2006, 07:55 AM
appears Initiate

To reach the million mark she'll need to sell about the same number for the next few weeks, if they keep going down she won't reach a million.
Old 25th January 2006, 08:14 AM
ANGEL'S SONG H-Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegie
No no no. For most of the time, c/w songs are B-SIDES. alterna is definitely a B-side for sure. If alterna is an A-side, then the title should be fairyland/alterna. instead of just fairyland. is this LOVE?, on the other hand, is definitely an A-side. If you say all the c/w are A-sides it will definitey kill the purposes of writing the titles STEP you/is this LOVE?, Bold & Delicious/Pride, Startin'/Born To Be, etc. Why bothering writing Pride out when it's an A-side??

The only time I've seen ayu promoting a B-side on music show is GAME, which is quite weird because it seems to me that she sang GAME more than INSPIRE somehow. Have you ever seen ayu singing Will or alterna on musicstation, music fighter, etc? You can't say they're second A-sides because they are included on the albums. Some artists put B-sides into albums as well. for example, hikki has all her B-sides in her albums. You can't say B&C is an A-side because it's on Movin' on without you single and later on First Love album rite?? You see the pattern tho, that ayu didn't start putting her B-sides into the albums until MY STORY era... I dunno why she does that... probly she thinks her B-sides deserve for a place in the album..

Btw... ever free do have pv... it's a practically no-ayu inside pv (except probly the last 10 seconds... ayu's there.. )
You're sure you know what the heck you're talking about? She hadn't done double-a-sides much before MY STORY, so you can't say 'she only started putting b-sides on during MY STORY'. Have you even seen what other artists do when they have B-sides? They don't give them instrumentals or PVs. It's sort of like..

1. Title track
2. Other song
3. Other song
4. Title track -instrumental-

The 'other songs' never make it to the album because it adds a sort of incentive to buy the single. For Ayu, it's usually remixes or something though. [do other artists even do c/w much?, at least in the OBI/posters?

Also, having tie-ups is a common thing for a-sides to have.

Quoting from Wikipedia:

With the advent of cassette and compact disc singles in the late 1980s, the A side/B side differentiation became much less meaningful. At first cassette singles would often have one song on each side of the cassette, matching the arrangement of vinyl records, but eventually cassette maxi-singles, containing more than two songs, became more popular. With the decline of cassette singles in the 1990s, the A-side/B-side dichotomy became virtually extinct, as the remaining dominant medium, the compact disc, lacks an equivalent physical distinction. However, the term B-side is still frequently used to refer to the "bonus" tracks or "coupling" tracks on a CD single.

[edit]
Significance
B-side songs are released on the same record as a single to provide extra "value for money". There are several types of material commonly released in this way:

a different (e.g., instrumental, a capella, acoustic, or remixed) version of the A-side
another song from the same album, which the record company does not want to release on its own
a song not considered good enough for the album
a song that was stylistically unsuitable for the album
Since both sides of a single received equal royalties some composers deliberately arranged for their songs to be used as the B-sides of singles by popular artists, thereby making a fortune literally off the back of the A-side. This became known as the "flipside racket".
End quoting.

For your argument however, have you considered that Avex just wanted to do it like that? That her double A-sides were to just be called as they said, because the titles would be really long otherwise, so they probably just balanced it out by doing STEP you / is this LOVE?, fairyland, and HEAVEN along with Bold and Delicious/Pride INSTEAD of doing STEP you/is this LOVE?, fairyland/alterna, HEAVEN/Will, Bold and Delicious/Pride. She's done one double A-side I can recall, and that's poker face c/w Friend, which made it onto ASFXX. The only b-sides Ayu's ever really had are the ones that Rody mentioned, ever free, Two of us, and theme of a-nation03. [BTW that video does not count at all as a PV, it's just a concert video >>] Anyways, b-sides are usually guaranteed to not make it into an album at all, which can be seen with Do As Infinity's two collections. Do the A-side and Do the B-side. The B-sides having never been on albums at all, but they'd accumulated enough to create an album based on b-sides alone. Ayu however only has what, 3 of them.

...also, about your 'music performances' thingie.. She probably doesn't get to say 'I want to perform alterna' or 'I want to do Will.' The thing is that Avex probably allows her to sing what they want her to sing at those kinds of performances. Ayu did Pride too.. MANY TIMES. She did is this LOVE? at a-nation... she's probably either saving alterna/Will for her tour, or she's sort of not confident in performing them.

Also, for Utada's song thingie.. I think she 'redid' the song, since they call it an album version.. [remember, that album doesn't seem to have many songs in the first place.. so.. yeah.. and she was 15 o-o]

Last edited by truehappiness; 25th January 2006 at 08:29 AM.
Old 25th January 2006, 08:50 AM
CAROLS Initiate

should not blame for that overseas version....... >.< but if you want to blame.. blame for itunes or other source that provide legal download with cheaper price in japan >.<
Old 25th January 2006, 08:57 AM
Far away Initiate

Well it is not just a problem about the sales. Though it is really a little bit low.
Old 25th January 2006, 09:10 AM
Virgin Road Initiate

just hope the best...
i still have faith in her

Ayumi Hamasaki...Queen of my life...

Old 25th January 2006, 09:23 AM
Depend on you Initiate

I think she should release singles that have 1 or 2 songs especially composed for the singles only (Bonus tracks). That should boost the sales for the singles as well as the upcoming album. She should do it more often. Or she can put some bonus tracks or bonus discs just like her LOVEppears album but this time, containing 5 or 6 original songs. Like extra cd or something. Or maybe, an album with double disc, a disc contain on my day songs and another will be off my day songs. Maybe 12 songs each disc. Who knows. A little bit sacrifice might give an unexpected result. My opinion.

A for missunderstood, i think it deserve to break million sales. Even if it takes a year to make it. It's a great album actually.

Tags
浜崎 あゆみ, 浜崎あゆみ, (miss)understood, ayumi hamasaki