[News] 2020 FNS Kayousai Natsu - Page 6 - Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
· Ayu's Official Site · Ayu's twitter · Ayu's YouTube · masa's translations · Misa-chan's translations ·

Go Back   Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai > Ayumi Hamasaki Forums > Ayu Music News

Notices

Old 26th August 2020, 07:07 PM
too late Initiate

Ayu is a 100% people person, I think the lack of audience always drags her down a little bit (but she was very good at Natsu no TROUBLE). But after rewatching it, I liked her energy during You & Me.

slow down, you won't get there by hurrying
gonna find out if the hard work was worth it
i know it's somewhere in me
i'm just tryna find love

Old 26th August 2020, 07:12 PM
Endless sorrow Initiate

I'm still impressed how nice it was. I was totally into the whole performance. The beginning of Dreamed a Dream was so cool and dynamic. We are all different people and I can say I felt her joy a lot Plus, she looks stunning.
Old 26th August 2020, 07:22 PM
POWDER SNOW Initiate

I kept seeing comments about not having enough passion like wasn’t this a pre recorded footage with no audience though? It’ll be weird if she’s gonna act as if there’s an audience there as there is no audience to interact with. I’m just annoyed with the outfit, she looks thick on tv but when u see bts pics of her wearing it she looks slim.

praying for your souls

Old 26th August 2020, 07:41 PM
SURREAL H-Initiate

I thought she sounded surprisingly good??

I guess I’m in the minority lol. She was consistent at least.

But I agree with the costume and hair and lack of audience being kind of awkward.
I wonder if she’s using the ponytail as a sort of face lift??? Lol

"Remember, don't let others dictate your music taste. If you like whatever you're listening to, keep listening to it."

Old 26th August 2020, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rikku1994 View Post
I kept seeing comments about not having enough passion like wasn’t this a pre recorded footage with no audience though? It’ll be weird if she’s gonna act as if there’s an audience there as there is no audience to interact with. I’m just annoyed with the outfit, she looks thick on tv but when u see bts pics of her wearing it she looks slim.
Personally, with "no passion" I did not mean that she should pretend to interact with an audience that clearly isn't there. I simply did not feel that she herself enjoyed singing at all. But to be honest that isn't just a recent problem but one for probably half of her career or even more. Her very first, mostly cringy performances aside, there was a short time I felt that she was singing (emphasis on singing) because the song was important to her and she was mainly singing for herself. At some point she started to perform for an audience rather than to sing. This gave us some great concerts, which had a great balance between performance and an actual concert, but overall it's hard for me to enjoy her TV performances and some of her more recent shows, too. Natsu no Trouble had the same problem for me. I simply do not feel she likes to sing and is only there to perform, which seems to bore her when she prerecords a performance. That's the impression I have.
Old 26th August 2020, 08:05 PM
SEASONS Initiate

I also don't really understand the "bad vocals" comments... And I'm usually the one complaining for them.

Both performances are quite fine IMO. Of course the cute voice in the beginning of DaD is ruining it a bit but I think she felt it was a safer way to start the song. Then she gains confidence and she sounds more natural.

Still it's a great improvement from a couple of years ago.
She is not going off key, she is controlling her voice, not screaming everywhere and sounding flat...

Yes, it's not her most energetic performance but there is no audience and I'd rather have her sounding that fine than running around the stage and sounding bad. I feel she is behaving like that because she is more focused on delivering good vocals.

Last edited by hidekirby; 26th August 2020 at 08:08 PM.
Old 26th August 2020, 08:13 PM
As if.. Initiate

it was god
just that
i really hope she did the routine on the pv on the a nation
Old 26th August 2020, 08:47 PM
Over Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by junshen View Post
From Official FNS Youtube Channel

Is this available for download somewhere? Being placed in Denmark, I can't see it because of a whole union x YouTube fight...

So, apparently, I guess there must be some Danes working for Ayu or at FNS, lol.
Old 26th August 2020, 10:17 PM
ANGEL'S SONG H-Initiate

I think that was a YT channel cloaked as an official one, it was registered in the US and also that video is blocked currently due to an FNS copyright claim.

Cute parts in the beginning do feel more like vocal control rather than her trying to sound a certain way. I don't think she usually sounds like that and you heard a bit of it in talkin' 2 myself for Natsu no Trouble IIRC.

After the intro and for the rest of the song/You & Me, I think she sounded really good! No complaints really but the initial "high" vocals for the verses of Dreamed a Dream was unexpected.

Last edited by truehappiness; 26th August 2020 at 10:24 PM.
Old 27th August 2020, 01:07 AM
opening Run Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surreal17 View Post
I also did not liked it. For such a good track like Dreamed a dream, I just did not felt any kind of excitement. The cutesy voice also bothered me, especially since it was even more visible than usual. Maybe she's tired , who knows. Hopefully, a-nation will be better.
Maybe it will be better as a spectacle, but vocal-wise it won't if it's a live broadcast without do-overs.
Old 27th August 2020, 01:12 AM
WHATEVER Initiate

She did fine. People seems to be ignoring that, she is in her 40's now (in addition to her unsual hearing condition). I don't expect her to run and jump without getting out of breath like she did 15-20 years ago (and even then she was relying on casual playback)
Old 27th August 2020, 04:47 AM
ANGEL'S SONG H-Initiate

A few times she really did have to rely on the backing vocal but she did well. Way better than some other performances where she was not at her best vocally.
Old 27th August 2020, 09:23 AM
everlasting dream Initiate

It was a fine performance to me, I guess? I think it was a good move to use a backing track. Made the backup vocalists kind of redundant, though. I still think the slick ponytail and shoulder pats look is unflattering on her, but hey, it's her body and it's nice to see her on TV again
Old 27th August 2020, 09:59 AM
July 1st Initiate

I understand that people expected much better of her vocally and performance-energy-wise, but at this point I'm honestly just grateful she managed to hit all the notes well enough with her vocal condition. I remember seeing some horrifically unfortunate vocal performances from her, with basically just shouting although her vocal was more 'powerful', so controlled performances like this show me how she's grown into adapting with her current circumstances. I'm only grateful I get to see this at this stage of her career. I still think she did very well here.
Old 27th August 2020, 10:31 AM
opening Run Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenshi no hane View Post
I think it was a good move to use a backing track. Made the backup vocalists kind of redundant, though.
Watching the live stream when Timmy opened his mouth I tried to hear him but just couldn't.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep snow View Post
I understand that people expected much better of her vocally
I don't understand why. She's been having vocal problems for years (if not a decade), it's easy to predict what we will get. I expected cutesy voice, shouting and nice percentage of hitting the notes because it was pre-recorded - and that's what I got, even better than I expected in some parts. People who attend her concerts face way worse vocals.

Last edited by Chris85; 27th August 2020 at 10:43 AM.
Old 27th August 2020, 10:47 AM
July 1st Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris85 View Post
I don't understand why. She's been having vocal problems for years (if not a decade), it's easy to predict what we will get. I expected cutesy voice, shouting and nice percentage of hitting the notes because it was pre-recorded - and that's what I got. People who attend her concerts face way worse vocals.
this is what I've come to accept as well. all I'm saying is that it's become "normal" for some fans to expect the very best out of their idols. I've reined back my expectations of her long ago. after she had gone half-deaf and went on to shout in year-spanning concert after concert, I thought it surely would go downhill from there that's why to me, she seems to have managed to exert some control on her vocal condition and deliver what I think is a perfectly admirable performance
Old 27th August 2020, 02:32 PM
Over Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by truehappiness View Post
Cute parts in the beginning do feel more like vocal control rather than her trying to sound a certain way. I don't think she usually sounds like that and you heard a bit of it in talkin' 2 myself for Natsu no Trouble IIRC.
I got it from Jpopsuki now, and I agree. I definitely think it's just voice control, because it's an easier way to sing. I don't mind it too much, though it tends to be a bit misplaced, like it was in this performance - but it's better than just bad singing, lol. And the rest of the performance, where she was able to sing with more power, was pretty good!

---

As for the music video, I thought it was great from about 2 minutes in, lol. The setup and everything was great and really fitting for the song, but it just missed some power? It seemed kind of odd and misplaced for me that all movement (or lack thereof) etc. up until 2 min was soooo heavy and slow. From 2 minutes in, it got the power it deserved, and so did it have all the way through the live performance. I wished it was like that all the way through the music video. Not necessarily dancing, but just some more movement to fit the pace of the song.
Old 27th August 2020, 05:26 PM
opening Run Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkShinigami View Post
I got it from Jpopsuki now, and I agree. I definitely think it's just voice control, because it's an easier way to sing.
Altering your natural tone colour is an easier way to sing? Sounds like an extra job to me. Britney Spears used to sing live from time to time during her early days and watching those videos it's very clear that she's struggling because she can't use her real voice and having to fake her iconic baby voice is a constant pressure.
Old 27th August 2020, 06:09 PM
POWDER SNOW Initiate

She does sound better with the more recent songs than the earlier ones

praying for your souls

Old 27th August 2020, 08:03 PM
Two of us Initiate

She did a good job! Although I much prefer her FNS performance last year with the summer medley.

Tags
dreamed a dream, fns kayousai, tv live, you & me