hikki vs ayu - Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
· Ayu's Official Site · Ayu's twitter · Ayu's YouTube · masa's translations · Misa-chan's translations ·

Go Back   Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai > Music Forums > Asian Music Chat

Notices

Old 3rd November 2002, 06:11 PM
LOVE~Destiny~H-Initiate

hikki vs ayu

just wonderin wat u guys think of all the competition btw ayu and hikki, say like how hikki wanna open the western market and ayu wants to 2...i personally think it'll be easier for hikki to do so due to her english..where ayu isn't very good at...and hikki styles fit the western culture..(she was raised in ny anyways) and ayu's styles is more asian like....

i like hikki's song and i used to like her very much..but ever since i like ayu, i've been hearing many of my friends whose hikki's friends bashing ayu...especially on ayu's singing skills...which eventually makes me not realy like hikki....besides..i really think ayu's voice is sweeter than hikki..

Thanks Omega Prime for the ava!!! And Delirium-Zer0 for reviving it!!
Old 4th November 2002, 01:11 AM
independent+ Advisor

I think that Ayu and Hikki are both great singers. They each excel in different areas and have different strengths and weaknesses. I think they are both awesome, and I really like both!

I do however think that Hikki has a much better chance of making it in America. Since she grew up partly in American and she goes to college in NYC, she knows what American taste is like, and she has what it takes to succeed in my opinion.
Old 4th November 2002, 03:51 AM
Two of us Initiate

Hikki and Ayumi are both awesome! I have all of their cd's and their styles are totally different and the way they approach music is different, so i dont think theres any way to say that the two are in "competition." Besides their friends so I really dont think they'd mind if the other one opened up the western market first. In fact I think the one would promote the other.
Old 4th November 2002, 04:27 PM
End roll Initiate

i used to really like Hikki,too...but not so much anymore...
in fact...i don't listen to Hikki anymore...
but nevertheless....Hikki has a higher chance...not just bcos she grew up there n her fluency in english..it's also bcos her music genre is R&B ,which is really popular in US...

but it is because of people like you,

that I have chosen love in my life-

[A]re [Y]o[U] TRANCE?
Old 5th November 2002, 01:15 AM
LOVE~Destiny~H-Initiate

i noticed many ayu fans likes hikki 2 even tho therez obvious competition between them =)

itz nice and just interesting to observe

Old 6th November 2002, 04:49 AM
no more words Initiate

I also like both singers in different ways. Ayu overall is my favorite singer while Hikki and Namie are directly behind her. Each singer has different qualities that they excell in which makes it difficult to determine which one is the best. For example, some people thing Ayu's singing is annoying and nasal while others think Hikki's singing is annoying and off-key. But Ayu has a better ability to put more emotion into her songs than Hikki. All of Hikki's songs are either forceful (strong singing) or slow and monotonous. Her slow songs are not expressive at all and they all are on the same vocal level. Take for example the songs "Eternally" and "Deep River" by Hikki. They're slow and her voice is the same throughout with little emotion. Now take for example "End roll" and "HANABI" by Ayu. Both are slow songs, yet Ayu puts much more emotion into them which causes you to feel more of what she's singing, giving you the ability to understand how she really inside. Hikki's voice tends to be more controlled than Ayu's voice also. I remember the first time I listened to WHATEVER and I was worried about Ayu going off-key on the "Wow wow wow" (or "Whoa whoa whoa") since she seemed to have lesser control on her voice. Another example is "still alone." I was once again worried that her voice might jump off-key because the notes were up so high. It seems as if over time (from "A Song for xx" to "I am. . .") her voice is more stable than it was in the past, giving her a greater ability to hit the high notes more forcefully an with more certainty.
Old 6th November 2002, 09:52 AM
WHATEVER Initiate

i like em both, but i prefer Ayu. for some reason i have a thing for high female voices.

Old 7th November 2002, 03:14 PM
End roll Initiate

i'm not sure if u ppl notice this..but...
Hikki sings like she's coming down with an asthma attack...
she breathes so loud....it adds a weird tune to her songs...
i mean...maybe she's doing that on purpose as in making it more "emotional"....
but i think a good singer would notice n try not to do that...
that's why i wouldn't agree when ppl say Hikki's vocal performance is good...

but it is because of people like you,

that I have chosen love in my life-

[A]re [Y]o[U] TRANCE?
Old 7th November 2002, 07:02 PM
Biscuitgirl

I think Ayu would do better in America than Hikki. Hikki doesn't stand out enough to hold her own. It's true that she lives in America, but I don't see an American debut really putting her very high on the map. Her songs sound too much like any other. Ayu on the other hand is so incredibly gorgeous and a chameleon and a trend setter, how can anyone not help but love her? Plus her songs speak to the heart, whereas Hikki's tend to be more sensual and nonchalant. Ayu's voice has much improved since she started singing. It is wonderful now! I think America would love Ayu as I do. Any of my friends (I live in America) who have listened to her think she's good. Her songs are just like nothing else out there. That's why I listen to her more than any American singer.
Old 7th November 2002, 07:10 PM
Endless sorrow Guardian

I myself am an Ayu and Hikki fan, even though I haven't heard loads of Hikki's songs. I agree that it's hard to compare them as their styles are completely different. Also, I hold both of them with extremely high respect as musicians and for what they've done. Personally I do prefer Ayu to Hikki as I much prefer a higher voice aswell, although all my friends in school think she sounds like a chipmunk .

Photobucket
Thanks a lot to xLitax for the great set ^^
I retract my previous statement... Pommy's awesome!
Bulmasman @ AHSforum.com
Old 8th November 2002, 03:20 AM
YOU Initiate

biscutgirl i have to strongly disagree in saying "ayu would do better in america than hikki." she may be some super "incredibly gorgeous chameleon trend setter" but in reality, she is nothing without the people behind the scenes showing her what to wear, doing her makeup, composing her songs and remixing her albums. ("nothing" in terms of talent and promotions). really, without all that, she would amount to much (even in japan).

but like what i dont get is how you say she'd do better than a girl whos fluent in the english language (reading, writing, speech and singing), has equal if not greater sales than ayu, and already has a contract with a huge label in the states (def jam). can you (if you wouldnt mind) explain why you think ayu would be better in america? am i missing something? or are you judging it on looks and not talent?
Old 8th November 2002, 05:08 AM
LOVE~Destiny~H-Initiate

Quote:
Originally posted by jxxxxxxxxxxxxx
biscutgirl i have to strongly disagree in saying "ayu would do better in america than hikki." she may be some super "incredibly gorgeous chameleon trend setter" but in reality, she is nothing without the people behind the scenes showing her what to wear, doing her makeup, composing her songs and remixing her albums. ("nothing" in terms of talent and promotions). really, without all that, she would amount to much (even in japan).
Accroding to the TIME magazine asia edition, in fact ayu is one of the few j-pop idol that takes her image into her own hands, anything from album ideas and concepts, the message she wanna convey, her styles etc etc, she direct her own style and does is in fact a trendsetter in real life...she knows wat she wants and musicians and dj's of the asian music industry have commented that they've never seen anything like that...i have that issue of TIME magazine in my computer...if you want it can send it to you^^ or u may still be able to find it online at the TIME aisa website

Old 8th November 2002, 08:36 AM
no more words Initiate

Quote:

but like what i dont get is how you say she'd do better than a girl whos fluent in the english language (reading, writing, speech and singing), has equal if not greater sales than ayu, and already has a contract with a huge label in the states (def jam). can you (if you wouldnt mind) explain why you think ayu would be better in america? am i missing something? or are you judging it on looks and not talent?
I agree with you, but Americans really are unpredictable about choosing their "idols." Nowadays it's not about talent, but about how much skin you will show and how much sexual content is in the songs. The only reason why international artists such as Shakira and Ricky Martin (whatever happened to him?) were successful is because of their dancing ablilties and their sex-filled images. Take a look at the "Whenever, Whatever" PV and the "Living La Vida Loca" PV and you'll understand what I mean.

I honestly worry whether either of them would do well here. Sure they would be popular for a while, but not as popular as the top pop singers here. Ayu and Hikki sing their songs from the heart, but would teenyboppers care? It basically comes down to this one fact: The more skin you show, the more popular you'll become.
Old 8th November 2002, 02:18 PM
Biscuitgirl

Quote:
Hey dude, everyone is entitled to their own opinion, and this is mine. I AM an American, and I love Ayu a million times better than Hikki. I don't see Hikki becoming very popular in America even if she debuts. But Ayu is different than any other artist out there. But the likelyhood of her ever coming to America is very slim, so I wouldn't worry about asking me to fulling explain my opinion. Most people would think Hikki would stand a better chance, yes. But then I thought about how many girls have tried to launch careers here and they are all the same: sexy, pretty, with blah voices and blah songs. I don't think Hikki (as wonderfully talented as she is), has enough flair to surpass them all. I look at who America idolizes - Britney Spears. I mean, come on, that girl has absolutely ZERO talent, except for the fact that she can shake her butt a lot. In all reality, it is doubtful that Ayu would do well in America, considering the fact that she does not speak English fluently, but I think that if she were to learn English and get hooked up with the right people who promoted her well (like Avex has done for her in Japan), she might just make it. Ayu is just different from the rest, and that's what makes her incredibly special. Hikki can't hold a candle to her. Again, no offense to anyone about what I just said. It is strictly my opinion, and I am certainly no expert.
Old 8th November 2002, 03:19 PM
YOU Initiate

yeah chibinina i think youre right, we have this poor tendancy lately here in america to judge content rather poorly. well i dunno.. just look at christina aguilera . even with all the skin she shows, a lot of critics and others concider her a joke lol.

i think i slightly misconveyed what i was thinking; i dont think hikki will make it for sure and im not saying she will, rather if either of the two make it here, im puttin my money on hikki.
Old 8th November 2002, 04:48 PM
Banned

As much as I'd want to say that Ayu would do good in the US, I'd have to go with Hikki. She's got both the moves, style, and talent to succeed in the US, and plsu, she speaks perfect english, which obviously helps greatly. Ayu, on the other hand, has the talent and looks, but without proper english, she couldn't succeed even if she tried. She's too "asian" (which isn't a bad thing), but if u were talking to Hikki in real life, you'd probably never know that she was raised partly in Japan. And with her recent voice talents in Rush Hour 2 and Kingdom Hearts, she's already started getting known. So if she released an english PV and started selling her stuff here, she'd sell pretty good, perhaps not in the likes of Britney and others, but she'd be pretty known as the first asian artist to succed here. If Ayu had taken english classes and was fluent in it, then perhaps Hikki would have some competition.
Old 8th November 2002, 09:57 PM
WHATEVER Initiate

first asian artist to succeed in the US? what about Coco Lee? oh wait never mind.

Old 8th November 2002, 11:11 PM
Gut it-pez Initiate

*sigh*
Another one of these threads.

Personally, I don't like Hikki very much. Her songs don't do
anything for me. I guess I am saying I find her boring.

BUT, it doesn't matter anyway, because each person's tastes
in music is different.

As to either of them succeeding in North America...Forget it!
It won't happen. Music is not the same here. Hip Hop is
huge, as well as the sexy/sleazy image. Check out Shaggy's
new PV. Sex sells over here, not cute.
Old 8th November 2002, 11:37 PM
YOU Initiate

Quote:
*sigh*
Another one of these threads.
then you added to it because..?
Old 8th November 2002, 11:51 PM
girlish H-Initiate

Quote:
has equal if not greater sales than ayu[/B]
Not true, Ayu's sales are much higher than Hikki's.

But yeah, Hikki'll probably make it big in the states. She's a realy good singer and she has a lot of an American style to her, well because she's American. I think most Americans would look at Ayu and think she's a freak for wearing some of the things she does. Plus, Ayu doesn't walk around half-naked all the time and is talented. Not that Hikki does (or isn't talented because she is), but because she's got more of the American style to her.

But it doesn't matter to me, because I will always think her Japanese work is better.

I like both Ayu and Hikki, but I think to compare them in any way shape or form is just wrong because they're so different.

Please, don't get worked up over eachother's opinions, we each have the right to express them and to disagree, but just don't get carried away ^_^ It's just a forum.

Ashley