2021: Reflecting on Ayu's career - Page 4 - Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
· Ayu's Official Site · Ayu's twitter · Ayu's YouTube · masa's translations · Misa-chan's translations ·

Go Back   Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai > Ayumi Hamasaki Forums > Ayu Chat-Room

Notices

Old 20th March 2021, 02:47 AM
Two of us Initiate

You know, for me, among the great Heisei Utahime (Koda, Utada, Nami, Ayu), I like Ayu and not the others because I like Ayu's music best.

Nothing against the other three. It makes me happy to see them succeed, especially now that they're getting older in an industry that refuses to let anyone, especially women, get old. But I don't like their music. I'm more into rock and Ayu does great rock-laced music. I heard "Pride," which blew me away, and became a fan. I wasn't aware of any of the drama until years later!

BUT. The more aware I am, the more I adore her. The general public is cruel to her, everyone from people on the street to tabloids that hold polls like "What about Ayu makes you wince?" They shame her for daring to be sexy--doesn't she know she's so gross and fat and old? They scream at her having relationships and then kids without being married--doesn't she know she's a whore?

And while they rage, she keeps making music. She stands on stage and writes lyrics and experiments with different kinds of music and communicates honestly with her fan club and lives her damn life.

I don't blame anyone who doesn't like how flashy she is or doesn't like certain music or doesn't like her PR style, as others have mentioned. She's made plenty of errors. But I will never, ever stop being proud of her. She is Ayu, and she is the most badass person I've ever stanned. I've never loved any one public figure so much beyond their art.
Old 22nd March 2021, 01:32 PM
Depend on you Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKAyu View Post
She is Ayu, and she is the most badass person I've ever stanned. I've never loved any one public figure so much beyond their art.
Amen to that!
totally same here - even if some of her late work doesn't do it for me as much as the old stuff, and she did lose me a bit for the last 2-3 years, I always go back and the fact that she is still going says a lot!

That said, I hope a new era is coming because, well, it's time!
Old 8th April 2021, 12:39 PM
Far away Initiate

Yup!!! Well said everyone. I was a real huge fan from 1999- 2009. It was a great time cos ayu was still at her peak. I didn’t really listen to her works after rock and roll circus. But i was back into ayu for the past 2 years. ��. Ayu is still my no.1 artist.

My friends all thinks that ayu is someone of the past. They knew her, but she’s just someone who’s big in 2000s... even if I intro they ayu stuff, I don’t think anyone seem to be of interest.
Old 16th April 2021, 11:15 AM
NOTHING FROM NOTHING Initiate

18years fan here. The bad press from 2008 onwards which caused the bad public perception has got to do what she did earlier in her career. If you look at her songs like "real me", "my name's WOMEN", you would realize that she is advocating gender equality, which is not something that the men in power look forward to, this is probably worse than promoting LGBT rights in their mind. There's are also other things that she did that is very "un-Japanese" like Max-Tom Avex CEO saga and some of her MV that outright diss her own company.
She was sitting on that powder keg for really long, and the deafness/voice is the spark that ignites it.

In the last decade, she is releasing way fewer songs and putting in less and less effort into it than ever for a simple reason: it's not going to make much money compared to holding concerts.